Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,154,645 members, 7,823,830 topics. Date: Friday, 10 May 2024 at 04:12 PM

Pastor Fasts During Ramadan - Religion - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Religion / Pastor Fasts During Ramadan (4575 Views)

How To Support Your Muslim Friend During Ramadan / Can She Cook For Him During Ramadan? / Can Someone Smoke Cigarette During Ramadan? (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) (4) (Reply) (Go Down)

Pastor Fasts During Ramadan by deols(f): 10:08am On Sep 04, 2009
Everyday before sunrise, American pastor Ben Ries wakes up to eat before starting his fasting during the holy month of Ramadan. "It raises your awareness about hunger in the world," Ries told The Bellingham Herald on Monday, August 31.

Ries, 30, the pastor of the Sterling Drive Church of Christ in Bellingham, has decided to join Muslims in fasting Ramadan to get a better knowledge of the Islamic faith.

He says fasting can help him become a better Christian as well as a better pastor, husband, father, and member of a diverse world often fractured along religious lines.

Islam and Christianity; Common Grounds… Status of Jesus in Islam Between Judaism, Christianity, and Islam "Part of my reflection is, 'Who am I in this world?'" said Ries, who became pastor of his small Bellingham church two years ago.

"I'm not so narcissistic to think I have everything figured out."

As he knows little about Islam, Ries sought to find someone to help him observe the holy Muslim month.

Googling the inte, he found Monem Salam, the president of Saturna Brokerage Services, a subsidiary of Saturna Capital Corp., in Bellingham.
The American pastor immediately e-mailed the Muslim leader, asking him to be his mentor during the dawn-to-dusk fasting month.

"It seemed like it could be a good partnership," Salam said.

"We could both learn from each other."

Ramadan is the holiest month in the Muslim calendar.

In Ramadan, adult Muslims, save the sick and those traveling, abstain from food, drink, smoking and sex between dawn and sunset.

Muslims dedicate their time during the holy fasting month to become closer to Allah through prayer, self-restraint and good deeds.

Ground-breaking

On family dinners, Salam and Ries started to meet before Ramadan to teach the pastor about the fasting month.

Ries has also started reading the Noble Quran and is keeping a journal about his reflections and experiences during Ramadan.
"I'm not a big breakfast person, so it's been difficult for me," he said.

The US pastor hopes that his experience of fasting the Muslim holy month would be a healing step towards a better world.

"As a Christian, I believe this world is broken," he said. "It's not as it's supposed to be."

Salam, who has made a documentary about his experience and his family as a Muslim family living in American society, agreed.

"He's breaking some ground here," Salam said.

He said sharing Riess experience with other church members and non-Muslims would have a better impact on understanding the Islamic faith.

"Hopefully, in the future, we'll have more individuals doing it.

Source: IslamOnline
Re: Pastor Fasts During Ramadan by candylips(m): 10:33am On Sep 04, 2009
this is very good cheesy
Re: Pastor Fasts During Ramadan by babanassy: 8:55pm On Sep 04, 2009
ok
Re: Pastor Fasts During Ramadan by majoroller: 9:01pm On Sep 04, 2009
I SINCERELY HOPE MUSLIMS&CHRISTIANS ON THIS FORUM WILL LEARN FROM THIS&LET ACCOMODATE EACH OTHER WITH MUTUAL RESPECT IN RELIGIOUS MATTERS, A BELIEVER IS NEVER A PERSON WHO SCOFFS AT OTHERS,CALLS THEM NAMES,OR UTTERS VULGAR AND OBSCENE PHRASES, A BELIEVER IS NOT A FAULT-FINDER AND IS NOT ABUSIVE,OBSCENE,OR COURSE, SO BROTHERS&SISTERS ON NL LET JUST TRY&BE MORE ACCOMODATIVE PLEASE,
Re: Pastor Fasts During Ramadan by Abuzola(m): 9:19pm On Sep 04, 2009
What you don't know is he prays salat
Re: Pastor Fasts During Ramadan by gen2genius(m): 9:25pm On Sep 04, 2009
Do muslims actually fast for 30 days?

I'm not sure they know what they're talking about.

In the first place, a day starts at 12am yet they are free to eat till 5am.

Secondly, it's only lunch they don't eat. They eat breakfast and dinner - so what's the big deal? undecided
Re: Pastor Fasts During Ramadan by Nobody: 10:03pm On Sep 04, 2009
In the first place, a day starts at 12am yet they are free to eat till 5am.

they're probably knowingly or unknowingly following the Jewish calendar where day begins or ends at sunset.
Re: Pastor Fasts During Ramadan by Abuzola(m): 10:04pm On Sep 04, 2009
Any muslim who eat breakfast has invalidated his fast
Re: Pastor Fasts During Ramadan by Nobody: 10:06pm On Sep 04, 2009
@ topic

I hope this pastor is aware Christians can fast at anytime, not just set days of the year.

He's probably trying to flirt with becoming a muslim but at the same time wants to straddle both religions.
Re: Pastor Fasts During Ramadan by Nobody: 10:25pm On Sep 04, 2009
Muslims do not follow the jewish calender. They follow the hijri calender. That both calenders are similar does not mean that muslims follow the jewish calender.
As for the pastor, if he has not formally accepted Islam, then he is not fasting the Ramadan fast. Maybe he is trying to get awareness about hunger in the world, but he is certainly not fasting the Ramadan fast.
Re: Pastor Fasts During Ramadan by Nobody: 10:30pm On Sep 04, 2009
Muslims do not follow the jewish calender. They follow the hijri calender. That both calenders are similar does not mean that muslims follow the jewish calender.
As for the pastor, if he has not formally accepted Islam, then he is not fasting the Ramadan fast. Maybe he is trying to get awareness about hunger in the world, but he is certainly not fasting the Ramadan fast.
Re: Pastor Fasts During Ramadan by greateliso(m): 11:07pm On Sep 04, 2009
hummmmm,
Re: Pastor Fasts During Ramadan by Theblessed(f): 12:40am On Sep 05, 2009
deols:

Ries has also started reading the Noble Quran and is keeping a journal about his reflections and experiences during Ramadan.

The US pastor hopes that his experience of fasting the Muslim holy month would be a healing step towards a better world.

"As a Christian, I believe this world is broken," he said. "It's not as it's supposed to be."

Salam, who has made a documentary about his experience and his family as a Muslim family living in American society, agreed.

He said sharing Riess experience with other church members and non-Muslims would have a better impact on understanding the Islamic faith.

[b]Wait, wait and wait!!! This pastor is curios hence his meddling with religions.  And this curiosity in my view, would eventually lead to jumping of ship with some of his members.  For Mr Salam to say that Mr Reiss is doing it to understand Islamic Faith in order to heal the world's problem is a good excuse but how about Mr Salam doing the same for Christian Faith during Lent?  Wouldn't it serve the same purpose he is on about  Hmmmm!  I smell some hypocrisy here.  Hey, Mr Reiss, it would be nice you're honest about your intentions, you see, Christian Religion is the most tolerant of all Religions and no one this side of the Religion divide would object to your plans, you know.  Afterall, you are not the first nor the last to jump ship instead of hypocritically riding on the bandwagon of the 'Christian Faith'. Naaaaaaaaaaa!  Go, no one's stopping you, ok!  And for those who are considering to the same, wouldn't it be nice you do it noooowwwww?  We give our blessings and good luck!!! [/b]
Re: Pastor Fasts During Ramadan by Nobody: 12:44am On Sep 05, 2009
deols:

Islam and Christianity; Common Grounds… Status of Jesus in Islam Between Judaism, Christianity, and Islam "Part of my reflection is, 'Who am I in this world?'" said Ries, who became pastor of his small Bellingham church two years ago.

and this is a "pastor"? Obviously he needs to read his bible.
Re: Pastor Fasts During Ramadan by Theblessed(f): 1:30am On Sep 05, 2009
deols:

Ries, 30, the pastor of the Sterling Drive Church of Christ in Bellingham, has decided to join Muslims in fasting Ramadan to get a better knowledge of the Islamic faith.

[b] But may I ask again, who made Mr Reiss a PASTOR?? Or did he do it himself like some other Penticostal preachers who call themselves 'Bishops' Is it how he stumbled into Pastorship??  You see, from his comment I quote, "I'm not so narcissistic to think I have everything figured out." suggests a man not  serious about his faith - whether Christianity or Islam.  In fact a confused man.  Even the name of his Church is suspicious too and alerts one to his real motives in setting up a Church for that matter - to make money because it's easy these day for anyone to set up a Church and become a millionaire the next day. Imagine the name of his Church 'STERLING DRIVE CHURCH'. It could have been named 'DOLLAR DRIVE CHURCH' at least the motive would have been clear and obvious for people to understand.  Now, you all know some of these Penticostal Churches set up in every street all over the world are not Spiritually led and from this, one can deduce such churches are nothing but devil advocates so beware where your worship and who you give your tithes. [/b]
Re: Pastor Fasts During Ramadan by sley4life(m): 4:28am On Sep 05, 2009
is there anything special.
Re: Pastor Fasts During Ramadan by Abuzola(m): 4:52am On Sep 05, 2009
Hehehe, christian dey vesk. Keep it up mr pastor
Re: Pastor Fasts During Ramadan by na2day2(m): 8:13am On Sep 05, 2009
deols:

Everyday before sunrise, American pastor Ben Ries wakes up to eat before starting his fasting during the holy month of Ramadan. "It raises your awareness about hunger in the world," Ries told The Bellingham Herald on Monday, August 31.

He says fasting can help him become a better Christian as well as a better pastor, husband, father, and member of a diverse world often fractured along religious lines.

As he knows little about Islam, Ries sought to find someone to help him observe the holy Muslim month.

Googling the inte, he found Monem Salam, the president of Saturna Brokerage Services, a subsidiary of Saturna Capital Corp., in Bellingham.
The American pastor immediately e-mailed the Muslim leader, asking him to be his mentor during the dawn-to-dusk fasting month.

"It seemed like it could be a good partnership," Salam said.

"We could both learn from each other."

Ramadan is the holiest month in the Muslim calendar.

In Ramadan, adult Muslims, save the sick and those traveling, abstain from food, drink, smoking and sex between dawn and sunset.

Muslims dedicate their time during the holy fasting month to become closer to Allah through prayer, self-restraint and good deeds.

Ground-breaking

On family dinners, Salam and Ries started to meet before Ramadan to teach the pastor about the fasting month.

Source: IslamOnline

nonsense! ! ! angry angry angry
Re: Pastor Fasts During Ramadan by olalekan1(m): 8:40am On Sep 05, 2009
majoroller:

I SINCERELY HOPE MUSLIMS&CHRISTIANS ON THIS FORUM WILL LEARN FROM THIS&LET ACCOMODATE EACH OTHER WITH MUTUAL RESPECT IN RELIGIOUS MATTERS, A BELIEVER IS NEVER A PERSON WHO SCOFFS AT OTHERS,CALLS THEM NAMES,OR UTTERS VULGAR AND OBSCENE PHRASES, A BELIEVER IS NOT A FAULT-FINDER AND IS NOT ABUSIVE,OBSCENE,OR COURSE, SO BROTHERS&SISTERS ON NL LET JUST TRY&BE MORE ACCOMODATIVE PLEASE,
you are very right my brother may Almighty Allah Bless you and your family.
Re: Pastor Fasts During Ramadan by olalekan1(m): 8:48am On Sep 05, 2009
Theblessed:

[b] But may I ask again, who made Mr Reiss a PASTOR?? Or did he do it himself like some other Penticostal preachers who call themselves 'Bishops' Is it how he stumbled into Pastorship??  You see, from his comment I quote, "I'm not so narcissistic to think I have everything figured out." suggests a man not  serious about his faith - whether Christianity or Islam.  In fact a confused man.  Even the name of his Church is suspicious too and alerts one to his real motives in setting up a Church for that matter - to make money because it's easy these day for anyone to set up a Church and become a millionaire the next day. Imagine the name of his Church 'STERLING DRIVE CHURCH'. It could have been named 'DOLLAR DRIVE CHURCH' at least the motive would have been clear and obvious for people to understand.  Now, you all know some of these Penticostal Churches set up in every street all over the world are not Spiritually led and from this, one can deduce such churches are nothing but devil advocates so beware where your worship and who you give your tithes. [/b]
is there an organization or body that examines anybody that want to become a pastor? fate has no limit my brother and you can not just justify that you are on the right religious fate. Moreover you might not know if you have a wrong fate until you find a fate that is superior. Is there any guidelines for naming a church? sterling drive must be either a street or a small location in a vicinity, which mean a church located at sterling drive. Simple!
Re: Pastor Fasts During Ramadan by olalekan1(m): 8:50am On Sep 05, 2009
sley4life:

is there anything special.
Nothing jare! because you dont understand the message in the post.
Re: Pastor Fasts During Ramadan by na2day2(m): 8:51am On Sep 05, 2009
olalekan1:

is there an organization or body that examines anybody that want to become a pastor? fate has no limit my brother and you can not just justify that you are on the right religious fate. Moreover you might not know if you have a wrong fate until you find a fate that is superior. Is there any guidelines for naming a church? sterling drive must be either a street or a small location in a vicinity, which mean a church located at sterling drive. Simple!

forget it, the dude is a fake pastor
Re: Pastor Fasts During Ramadan by mbulela: 9:11am On Sep 05, 2009
so which muslim on this forum is willing to fast with me during the next lent season?
for starters, join me to attend the next Holy Ghost service at the RCCG campus at the beginning of next month?
i eagerly anticipate your responses.
Re: Pastor Fasts During Ramadan by olalekan1(m): 9:29am On Sep 05, 2009
mbulela:

so which muslim on this forum is willing to fast with me during the next lent season?
for starters, join me to attend the next Holy Ghost service at the RCCG campus at the beginning of next month?
i eagerly anticipate your responses.
But you are not Mr. Reiss and moreover you did not fast.
Re: Pastor Fasts During Ramadan by na2day2(m): 9:35am On Sep 05, 2009
olalekan1:

But you are not Mr. Reiss and moreover you did not fast.

in case u missed it, he is just pointing out the hypocrisy, no muslim fasted with the said pastor b4 the pastor decided to past with them
Re: Pastor Fasts During Ramadan by Dammyray(m): 9:53am On Sep 05, 2009
God knows best, but i dont see anyfin wrong in that
Re: Pastor Fasts During Ramadan by candylips(m): 12:02pm On Sep 05, 2009
na today
Re: Pastor Fasts During Ramadan by Nobody: 12:32pm On Sep 05, 2009
This is grandiose foolishness. See how a pastor rubbishes Christianity and some pervs are even in support. RACA pastor reis. Its now dawn on me that even so callf pastors dont understand the essence of Christianity. Light which is Jesus the Christ can never parley with an idol called allah. Never.
Re: Pastor Fasts During Ramadan by okeey(m): 12:40pm On Sep 05, 2009
it not good
Re: Pastor Fasts During Ramadan by candylips(m): 12:57pm On Sep 05, 2009
wetin
Re: Pastor Fasts During Ramadan by mbulela: 3:27pm On Sep 05, 2009
i am still waiting for a volunteer

(1) (2) (3) (4) (Reply)

Thehomer Please Say / Are Catholics Stupid? / I Dare All Atheist

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 58
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.