Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,153,043 members, 7,818,101 topics. Date: Sunday, 05 May 2024 at 07:57 AM

Press Statement: His Excellency, The President Of Senate, Nigeria National Assem - Politics - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Politics / Press Statement: His Excellency, The President Of Senate, Nigeria National Assem (1171 Views)

Akpabio On Why PDP Senators Walked Out Of Senate Today / Emefiele To Senate: Nigeria’s Economy In Deep Crisis / Untold Story Of Senate Forgery Scandal (2) (3) (4)

(1) (Reply) (Go Down)

Press Statement: His Excellency, The President Of Senate, Nigeria National Assem by babanett: 4:28pm On Jun 27, 2016
Press Statement: His Excellency, the President of Senate, Nigeria National Assembly
Dr. Bukola Saraki
June 27, 2016

Abuja, Nigeria, June 27---Today we the leaders of the Nigerian Senate reiterate our innocence against the charges filed by the Attorney General of the Federal Government of Nigeria at the Federal Capital Territory (FCT) High Court on the allegations of forgery of the Senate Standing Rules document.

In our view, the charges filed by the Attorney General represent a violation of the principle of the Separation of Powers between the Executive Branch and the Legislative Branch as enshrined in our Constitution. Furthermore, it is farcical to allege that a criminal act occurred during Senate procedural actions and the mere suggestion demonstrates a desperate overreach by the office of the Attorney General. These trumped up charges is only another phase in the relentless persecution of the leadership of the Senate

This misguided action by the Attorney General begs the question, how does this promote the public interest and benefit the nation? At a time when the whole of government should be working together to meet Nigeria’s many challenges, we are once again distracted by the Executive Branch’s inability to move beyond a leadership election among Senate peers. It was not an election of Senate peers and Executive Branch participants.

Over the past year the Senate has worked to foster good relations with the Executive Branch. It is in all of our collective interests to put aside divisions and get on with the nation’s business. We risk alienating and losing the support of the very people who have entrusted their national leaders to seek new and creative ways to promote a secure and prosperous Nigeria. As leaders and patriots, it is time to rise above partisanship and to move forward together.

However, what has become clear is that there is now a government within the government of President Buhari who have seized the apparatus of Executive powers to pursue their nefarious agenda.

This latest onslaught on the Legislature represents a clear and present danger to the democracy Nigerians fought hard to win and preserve. The suit filed on behalf of the Federal government suggests that perhaps some forces in the Federal Republic have not fully embraced the fact that the Senate’s rules and procedures govern how the legislative body adjudicates and resolves its own disputes.

Let it be abundantly clear, both as a citizen and as a foremost Legislator, I will continue to rise above all the persecution and distraction that have been visited on me. In the words of Martin Luther King Junior, “the ultimate measure of a man is not where he stands in moments of comfort and convenience, but where he stands at a time of challenge and controversy”.

I will remain true and committed to the responsibilities that my citizenship and my office impose on me. Without doubt, the highest of those responsibilities is the steadfast refusal to surrender to the subversion of our democracy and the desecration of the Senate. This is a cross I am prepared to carry. If yielding to the nefarious agenda of a few individuals who are bent in undermining our democracy and destabilising the Federal government to satisfy their selfish interests is the alternative to losing my personal freedom, let the doors of jails be thrown open and I shall be a happy guest.

Signed
Dr. Abubakar Bukola Saraki, CON
President, Senate of the Federal Republic

1 Like

Re: Press Statement: His Excellency, The President Of Senate, Nigeria National Assem by cktheluckyman: 4:32pm On Jun 27, 2016
Carry on Saraki baba nothing do you

2 Likes

Re: Press Statement: His Excellency, The President Of Senate, Nigeria National Assem by Tolexander: 4:32pm On Jun 27, 2016
Abuja, Nigeria, June 27---Today we the leaders of the Nigerian Senate reiterate our innocence against the charges filed by the Attorney General of the Federal Government of Nigeria at the Federal Capital Territory (FCT) High Court on the allegations of forgery of the Senate Standing Rules document.
The leaders?
one of the leaders in the Senate, Professor Olusola Adeyeye, Senate Whip has just affirmed that the standing order was doctored.
Mr Bukola Saraki, is the Senate whip no more one of the leaders in the house?

prove your innocence to the court.
Re: Press Statement: His Excellency, The President Of Senate, Nigeria National Assem by SeverusSnape(m): 4:37pm On Jun 27, 2016
Saraki remains the Senate president of Nigeria.

1 Like

Re: Press Statement: His Excellency, The President Of Senate, Nigeria National Assem by NgeneUkwenu(f): 4:44pm On Jun 27, 2016
Cry me a river....Between why commenting on issues already before a court competent jurisdiction?? If they slam you with another charge now....you and your Ipob yoots and scavengers supporters, will scream " witch hunting"...

Take your time Saraki....
Re: Press Statement: His Excellency, The President Of Senate, Nigeria National Assem by TheFreeOne: 4:48pm On Jun 27, 2016
The APC led executive arm is gradually pushing the country towards the precipice.

Buhari need to be called to order cos all these political chess-moves wouldn't do us any good.

Can the APC tell Nigerians their achievement in the past year vis-à-vis the current situation in the country

An intelligent leader needs a good working relationship with other arms of government to achieve developmental agenda.
Re: Press Statement: His Excellency, The President Of Senate, Nigeria National Assem by mu2sa2: 4:51pm On Jun 27, 2016
And when is saraki writing to the customers of the defunct societe general bank which he and his siblings grounded through their devilish thievery.
Re: Press Statement: His Excellency, The President Of Senate, Nigeria National Assem by skilfulsagei(m): 4:52pm On Jun 27, 2016
I'm deeply sorry for Nigeria. Imagine the SP that was accused of wrongdoing instead of him to clear his name he wantonly resulted to name calling and chest beating like my brothers from the ................ . I no want wahala
Re: Press Statement: His Excellency, The President Of Senate, Nigeria National Assem by cktheluckyman: 5:11pm On Jun 27, 2016
NgeneUkwenu:
Cry me a river....Between why commenting on issues already before a competent court of jurisdiction?? If they slam you with another charge now....you and your Ipob yoots and scavengers supporters, will scream " witch hunting"...

Take your time Saraki....
Bros abeg no vexoo!! When exactly will Saraki be removed from office?
Re: Press Statement: His Excellency, The President Of Senate, Nigeria National Assem by vickjoeobi(m): 5:21pm On Jun 27, 2016
bla bla bla bla bla bla!

Who you epp

i pity for my dear Country Nigeria, seeking benefits where they seems to be none.
I wonder why the senate will do that, and i also wonder why the executive arm will that also

Lemme keep wondering while Saraki and my Brother goes to court.

Re: Press Statement: His Excellency, The President Of Senate, Nigeria National Assem by AkpanUnanam(m): 5:30pm On Jun 27, 2016
Let call a spade"a spade and i'm not saraki supporter either but this fight is something else! We put everything to make this change to reality but what do we have now is fight fight fight,it took this our government five month to nominate minister" no board, no ambassador- after one year does it mean that this position are not important in nigeria constitution but pre.buhari is enjoying and forget his supporter" God pls forgive us if we did anything wrong because from north to south is regret voting this government after one year nothing to rejoice.
Re: Press Statement: His Excellency, The President Of Senate, Nigeria National Assem by moshmusth(m): 5:32pm On Jun 27, 2016
This is a long episode of nigeria game of throne..

season 1.. saraki vs danladi umar season 2.. saraki ekweremadu n co vs justice haliru. Waiting on season 3
Re: Press Statement: His Excellency, The President Of Senate, Nigeria National Assem by dechriscool(m): 5:37pm On Jun 27, 2016
There are principles of separation of power in Nigeria constitution.If anyone was short changed during the election of Senate leaders through doctored documents.The aggrieved individuals should do the need full and not the executive rascality and misplaced periority in intervening in another arm of government activity.
Tomorrow they will try to deceive their gullible supporters on the lack of synergy between the executives and the legislatures being responsible for their inability to deliver on their mandate.
President Adolf Hitler Muhammad Buhari stop this unnecessary and irresponsible involvement in power tussle in the hallow chamber.The economy of the country need your urgent attention and it is cancerously tipping into recession.
Re: Press Statement: His Excellency, The President Of Senate, Nigeria National Assem by Babacele: 6:43pm On Jun 27, 2016
dechriscool:
There are principles of separation of power in Nigeria constitution.If anyone was short changed during the election of Senate leaders through doctored documents.The aggrieved individuals should do the need full and not the executive rascality and misplaced periority in intervening in another arm of government activity.
Tomorrow they will try to deceive their gullible supporters on the lack of synergy between the executives and the legislatures being responsible for their inability to deliver on their mandate.
President Adolf Hitler Muhammad Buhari stop this unnecessary and irresponsible involvement in power tussle in the hallow chamber.The economy of the country need your urgent attention and it is cancerously tipping into recession.
so what is the needful if not going to law courts?
Re: Press Statement: His Excellency, The President Of Senate, Nigeria National Assem by PRYCE(m): 6:47pm On Jun 27, 2016
Na so!
Re: Press Statement: His Excellency, The President Of Senate, Nigeria National Assem by Babacele: 8:01pm On Jun 27, 2016
there is a difference between a criminal who forged senate rules to become a Senate president and the office of the senate president. we must save the hallowed chamber of the legislature from legislathieves!

(1) (Reply)

Nigerian Shiites “block Highway”, Demand El-zakzaky’s Release / Ijaw Leaders To Militants Don’t Declare Republic Of N-delta / Opinion: Not The SSS I Have Served

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 35
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.