Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,155,533 members, 7,826,994 topics. Date: Tuesday, 14 May 2024 at 03:04 AM

Emefiele To Senate: Nigeria’s Economy In Deep Crisis - Politics - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Politics / Emefiele To Senate: Nigeria’s Economy In Deep Crisis (27583 Views)

"Melaye’s Academic Gown To Senate Was Stolen Or Hired, He Made Fool Of Himself" / Reps Want Adeosun, Emefiele To Resign / Presidency Reacts To Senate’s Rejection Of Buhari’s Plan To Borrow $30bn (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (Reply) (Go Down)

Emefiele To Senate: Nigeria’s Economy In Deep Crisis by ijustdey: 3:29pm On Jul 20, 2016
•Says inflation ’ll worsen

The Governor of the Central Bank of Nigeria (CBN ), Mr. Godwin Emefiele, yesterday told the Senate that the nation's economy had entered into a deep crisis, as it remained recessive in the first and second quarters of the 2016 fiscal year.

Emefiele, who met with the apex legislative chamber in a closed- door session for two hours, also said that Nigerians would have to pay more sacrifices because inflation would further skyrocket.

This was as the apex chamber appreciated the enormous economic challenges facing the nation , commending and supporting the CBN for its policies so far to strengthen the ailing economy. A senator, who attended the session, disclosed to
New Telegraph that Emefiele had to own up to the true position of the economy because it appeared that the ruling All Progressives Congress (APC ) had lost hope of proffering solution to the worrisome situation.

The senator, who spoke under the condition of anonymity , noted that based on the briefing of the CBN boss, the Federal Government might not be able to sustain up to 75 per cent of salary payment in the 2016 budget implementation. The lawmaker also expressed pessimism on the ability of the economic team of President Muhammadu Buhari to come up with strategies that would use the agricultural sector to diversify the economy.

The senator, who is a member of the opposition Peoples Democratic Party (PDP), said that the only way to rescue the economy from further recession was for government to reflate the system, stressing that it was the measure applied by other economies that faced the challenge of recession.

“The CBN governor admitted that the economy is in trouble. And from the look of things, it is not going to get better. Salaries may not get 75 per cent implementation when you see the level of budget implementation so far. The CBN governor admitted that the economy was in recession in the first quarter and in the second quarter. In fact, they may not get 60 per cent implementation. “Reflating the economy is what other economies in recession have done, but that is not happening here.

The economic team is not able to come up with strategies on how they can even use agriculture to diversify the economy. ” The source further said that Emefiele did not want to disclose certain critical issues raised by the senators because they were serious policy issues that had to do with the competence and capability of the ruling party.

However, in a press statement issued by the leadership of the Senate at the end of the executive session, the Upper Chamber said that the governor of the CBN presented a comprehensive and lucid account of the performance of the Nigerian economy in the last one year.

The statement claimed that Emefiele ’ s presentation began with current global economic conditions, which had been characterised by external shocks, including the sharp decline in commodity prices, the geopolitical tensions along important global trading routes and tightening of Monetary Policy in the United States of America.

It further said that the appearance of Emefiele was in line with Section 8 of the Central Bank of Nigeria Act 2007, which requires that the governor of the bank provide, to the National Assembly, periodic updates on the activities of the bank as well as the performance of the economy.

The Senate ’s statement reads: “He drew linkages of these occurrences with the Nigerian economy, especially with respect to the over 70 per cent decline in oil prices from about $116 per barrel in June 2014 to about $30 per barrel earlier in the year.

“The governor’s presentation also gave us an insight into the bank ’ s decisions in the Foreign Exchange Market and the rationale underlying the recent re- introduction of a flexible exchange rate mechanism in Nigeria.

“He also delved into the health of the financial system and discussed the bank ’ s detailed examinations of financial institutions, as well as its zero tolerance for insider dealings by board and management of deposit money banks.

In sum, the governor declared that the strategic health of Nigeria ’s financial system is still strong at this time. “After the presentation , many senators asked a host of pertinent questions and raised issues concerning the banking system, the slippage in economic growth for the first quarter of 2016, the gradual rise in inflation , fall in foreign exchange reserves and policy coordination between the fiscal and monetary authorities.

“Following an exhaustive response by both the governor and his team , the Senate acknowledged that these are indeed difficult times all over the world and not just in Nigeria. “The Senate also acknowledged the pains that many people may be facing at this time , especially in light of increases in price of electricity and fuels.

But having carefully considered the policies of the CBN, the Senate would like to commend and support these policies because they are mostly geared towards increasing local production, creating jobs here in Nigeria, safeguarding our commonwealth and expanding economic opportunities and growth in Nigeria.

“It is critical that we all put hands together to seek long term solutions to our underlying problem of non -diversification of foreign exchange earnings and revenues, rather than pointing fingers or apportioning blames.

https://newtelegraphonline.com/emefiele-senate-nigerias-economy-deep-crisis/

1 Share

Re: Emefiele To Senate: Nigeria’s Economy In Deep Crisis by Nobody: 3:30pm On Jul 20, 2016
The performance of this man has been woeful ever since he was unmeritedly picked by GEJ to replace emir sanusi. The economy is nosediving under his watch and all he has to offer are continuos excuses. I hope buhari sacks him asap and replace him with a competent Cbn governor

25 Likes 5 Shares

Re: Emefiele To Senate: Nigeria’s Economy In Deep Crisis by NwaNimo1(m): 3:30pm On Jul 20, 2016
Oga CBN....

We already know and can feel it....

80 Likes 3 Shares

Re: Emefiele To Senate: Nigeria’s Economy In Deep Crisis by monkautos(m): 4:28pm On Jul 20, 2016
mrkayusfit:
The performance of this man has been woeful ever since he was unmeritedly picked by GEJ to replace emir sanusi. The economy is nosediving under his watch and all he has to offer are continuos excuses. I hope buhari sacks him asap and replace him with a competent Cbn governor
zombie why didnt buhari reappoint someone else

174 Likes 15 Shares

Re: Emefiele To Senate: Nigeria’s Economy In Deep Crisis by Nobody: 4:38pm On Jul 20, 2016
[s]
mrkayusfit:
[/s]

APC sycophants will always find a way to blame GEJ for the woes brought upon this country as a result of the dullard from daura decisions and indecision.

192 Likes 13 Shares

Re: Emefiele To Senate: Nigeria’s Economy In Deep Crisis by chernest2002: 4:48pm On Jul 20, 2016
mrkayusfit:
dictator buhari is in charge not emefiele, buhari refused to give his men free hand to work, buhari said and I quote, they have not given me reason to murder naira, bros this is one of the clear evidence that the financial teams are not doing what they studied but what buhari wants. With buhari there's no hope for economic recovery.

153 Likes 12 Shares

Re: Emefiele To Senate: Nigeria’s Economy In Deep Crisis by greatgod2012(f): 4:55pm On Jul 20, 2016
We're already feeling it very well, we don't need to be told that.

How worse can it be, economy is already in deep mess, critical crisis on the increase.

People now exchange kids for food.

Children are now withdrawn from private schools to public schools.

Unemployment on the increase on daily basis.
Consumer goods are no longer affordable.

Our GDP has entered negative.

In fact, it's worrisome.

54 Likes

Re: Emefiele To Senate: Nigeria’s Economy In Deep Crisis by Mamog(m): 5:01pm On Jul 20, 2016
I don know how guys manage to excellently shield PMB from all his below the par performances while at the same time glorifying him for GEJ's works.
You guys must be super magicians.. all you Zombies are super magicians

mrkayusfit:

113 Likes 4 Shares

Re: Emefiele To Senate: Nigeria’s Economy In Deep Crisis by collinsVP: 5:14pm On Jul 20, 2016
I wish PMB was younger, sophisticated and liberal. Things could not have deterolated to this level.

We got it all wrong the moment a single criteria( ability to fight against corruption) was used to select him.

Embezzlement of public fund is on the decline and the economy is on the decline more than proportionate. It does make sense.

GEJ had better economic team but he compromised the standard due to his second term ambition.

Is Nigeria not an error?

25 Likes 4 Shares

Re: Emefiele To Senate: Nigeria’s Economy In Deep Crisis by Bethelwealthy(m): 5:20pm On Jul 20, 2016
shey Buhari is the best performing president?.........................We never sheee twennnn!

24 Likes

Re: Emefiele To Senate: Nigeria’s Economy In Deep Crisis by Sultanchidi(m): 5:35pm On Jul 20, 2016
I taught adeshitna said it's only d minority/wailers that are complaining

51 Likes 1 Share

Re: Emefiele To Senate: Nigeria’s Economy In Deep Crisis by stevecantrell: 5:39pm On Jul 20, 2016
I wished the Turkey coup was successful.. .it would have made other careless governments sit up.

32 Likes

Re: Emefiele To Senate: Nigeria’s Economy In Deep Crisis by bright007(f): 6:24pm On Jul 20, 2016
[size=15pt]Buharry is an economic disaster and colossal failure. With the way inflation is raping our economy ...by 2019, one dollar will equal five thousand naira. [/size]

73 Likes 1 Share

Re: Emefiele To Senate: Nigeria’s Economy In Deep Crisis by MKO4ever(m): 6:25pm On Jul 20, 2016
This is a good news for some wise people; because recession is the best period for the wise to make cool money

5 Likes

Re: Emefiele To Senate: Nigeria’s Economy In Deep Crisis by Nobody: 6:26pm On Jul 20, 2016
collinsVP:
I wish PMB was younger, sophisticated and liberal. Things could not have deterolated to this level.

We got it all wrong the moment a single criteria( ability to fight against corruption) was used to select him.

Embezzlement of public fund is on the decline and the economy is on the decline more than proportionate. It does make sense.

GEJ had better economic team but he compromised the standard due to his second term ambition.

Is Nigeria not an error?

9 Likes

Re: Emefiele To Senate: Nigeria’s Economy In Deep Crisis by kings09(m): 6:27pm On Jul 20, 2016
And all our leaders from buhari to his ministers r busy sharing hard laffs while citizens bemoan their hardships. Tmoro the presidiot bigot will come out n say he feels d pains of Nigerians.

28 Likes

Re: Emefiele To Senate: Nigeria’s Economy In Deep Crisis by kingmekus(m): 6:28pm On Jul 20, 2016
I laff in swahili

3 Likes

Re: Emefiele To Senate: Nigeria’s Economy In Deep Crisis by gurunlocker: 6:30pm On Jul 20, 2016
Failure economy team.... You voted CHANGE and everything is indeed CHANGING

16 Likes

Re: Emefiele To Senate: Nigeria’s Economy In Deep Crisis by donsteady(m): 6:31pm On Jul 20, 2016
One chance for real

14 Likes

Re: Emefiele To Senate: Nigeria’s Economy In Deep Crisis by Nobody: 6:31pm On Jul 20, 2016
Diversification would do no poo. Are there markets for the products?? We need FDIs. Only a president that understand economics would agree, unfortunately, our president is only a fighter- That's what he was trained for anyways, "he has chosen to fight corruption" other than chase investments.

17 Likes

Re: Emefiele To Senate: Nigeria’s Economy In Deep Crisis by afonomics(m): 6:31pm On Jul 20, 2016
greatgod2012:
We're already feeling it very well, we don't need to be told that.

How worse can it be, economy is already in deep mess, critical crisis on the increase.

People now exchange kids for food.

Children are now withdrawn from private schools to public schools.

Unemployment on the increase on daily basis.
Consumer goods are no longer affordable.

Our GDP has entered negative.

In fact, it's worrisome.

Hello madam,

Where did you get all ds facts from?

Are you the DG of National Bureau os Statistics?

Bikonu give us facts and figures...

2 Likes

Re: Emefiele To Senate: Nigeria’s Economy In Deep Crisis by shamecurls(m): 6:32pm On Jul 20, 2016
[size=18pt]God bless President Mohammadu Buhari

Am 100% certain that we will get out of these times.

Tough times never last, but tough people do.
[/size]

7 Likes 1 Share

Re: Emefiele To Senate: Nigeria’s Economy In Deep Crisis by gen2briz(m): 6:32pm On Jul 20, 2016
When the going gets tough, only the tough gets going.

God bless Nigeria

1 Like

Re: Emefiele To Senate: Nigeria’s Economy In Deep Crisis by likata: 6:33pm On Jul 20, 2016
we don't need CBN to tell us what we can see and feel. we already know that Nigeria is in reverse gear.

bubu is a curse to this nation

10 Likes

Re: Emefiele To Senate: Nigeria’s Economy In Deep Crisis by Adesiji77: 6:33pm On Jul 20, 2016
Like we don't know before...

1 Like

Re: Emefiele To Senate: Nigeria’s Economy In Deep Crisis by ikdaddy01(m): 6:33pm On Jul 20, 2016
My question to CbN gov is, if tomorow we call out names of our top economists, if we call Soludo, Pat Utomi, Okonjo et al....will his name be there?

1 Like 1 Share

Re: Emefiele To Senate: Nigeria’s Economy In Deep Crisis by redroom: 6:34pm On Jul 20, 2016
And wot is the fake accent finance minister doing??

17 Likes 1 Share

Re: Emefiele To Senate: Nigeria’s Economy In Deep Crisis by faitheverest(f): 6:34pm On Jul 20, 2016
Anyhow. ....... Oluwa Na still God!

1 Like

Re: Emefiele To Senate: Nigeria’s Economy In Deep Crisis by virginboy1(m): 6:34pm On Jul 20, 2016
Buhari : my government will pay unemployed Nigerians
5k every month.
People be like: sai Baba... change is
here..Nigeria will rise again! .

Buhari: I never promised to pay unemployed Nigerians
5k each month. .
People be like: No mind those Jonathanians. With their
fake news. Show us links where he promised that. We
are solidly behind you. Nothing for yam eaters .

Buhari : We have started collection of data to enable us
pay the unemployed graduates 5k. .
People be like : Where are those TANoids that said
Baba is not a promise keeper...shame on all PDP.
Baba till 2023 ! .

Buhari: I wont pay 5k to unemployed youths. Its not a
priority ! .
People be like: Baba is right! Whats the use of 5k?
What can 5k do to anyone. Mr president we love u.
Best president ever! .

I wont be surprised if I wake up tomorrow and hear : .

Buhari: Unemployed Nigerians should pay 5k every
month to the government: .

And still people be like: Think of what u can do for your
country and not what your country can do for you.
Baba is right. But I know those unpatriotic wailers
wont pay

. I don't think this is ordinary

99 Likes 10 Shares

Re: Emefiele To Senate: Nigeria’s Economy In Deep Crisis by tammie24: 6:35pm On Jul 20, 2016
Zombies will come with another theory now

Just watch!

8 Likes 1 Share

Re: Emefiele To Senate: Nigeria’s Economy In Deep Crisis by Emmaoga: 6:35pm On Jul 20, 2016
mrkayusfit:

keep blaming GEJ till 2023.
zombie grade 12 spotted.

38 Likes

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (Reply)

‘Government Of Fulani’ - Femi Fani-Kayode Reacts To Buhari’s Ministers / US Prepares For Buruji Kashamu’s Extradition, Discloses Fresh Evidence / Mele Kyari Appointed As NNPC Head Of Crude Oil Sales

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 40
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.