Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,154,495 members, 7,823,158 topics. Date: Friday, 10 May 2024 at 04:56 AM

Five Outrageous Lies Every Nigerian Was Told As A Child - Nairaland / General - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Five Outrageous Lies Every Nigerian Was Told As A Child (594 Views)

5 Greatest Lies In Nigeria! / A Magician Burnt At A Child Dedication In Port Harcourt (Video) / Very Funny !! 10 Hilarious Lies Every Nigerian Child Was Told When Growing Up (2) (3) (4)

(1) (Reply) (Go Down)

Five Outrageous Lies Every Nigerian Was Told As A Child by egorov(m): 11:30pm On Jun 27, 2016
All parents have crazy tendencies.
Nigerian parents have perfected this “parental crazy”. Don’t get me wrong, our parents raised us well but they really dealt with us.

Our childhoods were lit af with amazing games, snacks, plenty birthday parties and Christmas clothes.

PS: I still miss Okin biscuit and I wish someone would be buying me clothes on a regular like back when I was a kid.
Naija parents love to discipline each and every child. Our parents spanked us to keep in line. If spanking didn’t work because some of us were too stubborn, they told us stories that scared us straight.

Sometimes these stories are made up. Who am I kidding? Most of them were made up!
Here are 5 major stories (lies, all lies!!) our parents used to keep us in line back then:

1. Ojuju Calabar
I don’t know if Ojuju Calabar is the Nigerian version of the Boogey man. Or maybe it’s a masquerade. All I know is that in my house:

Ojuju Calabar will come and get any disobedient and errant child.
Funny how we were all scared of Ojuju Calabar but have never seen one. Even today!

2. Fruit seeds growing out of your head
Every Nigerian child has heard a version of this one. Ever had your parents tell you that if you swallowed a seed (say orange seed) that an orange tree will grow out of your head after a week?

Many Naija kids didn’t sleep because we were too worried about becoming a walking and talking orange tree.

3. The fish and drinking water story
This story was specifically invented for those children who won’t eat their food but will eat the fish on top and drink lots of water.

4. Coconut water and dullards
I’m sure the reason why many of us stayed away from coconut and it’s water was because our parents told us that coconut water makes children dull.

5. Sticky Gum in Stomachs
Remember when your parents told you that if you swallowed gum, it would stick in your stomach and cause problems? Yeah, we were all told that too.

What other stories did your parents tell to keep you in line?
Re: Five Outrageous Lies Every Nigerian Was Told As A Child by spafu(m): 11:33pm On Jun 27, 2016
My parents did tell me about the coconut and dullard tale, but I never believed them until a useless Dullard from Daura with a coconut shaped head became the president of this country.. The man is so dull that he gave himself an F9 in a forged certificate. I wonder which brain he uses, whether it is the 'WASCless' or 'Concoctionalized PhD'
Re: Five Outrageous Lies Every Nigerian Was Told As A Child by youngest85(m): 11:35pm On Jun 27, 2016
kodun
Re: Five Outrageous Lies Every Nigerian Was Told As A Child by mast555(m): 11:39pm On Jun 27, 2016
thats just to make kids stay away
Re: Five Outrageous Lies Every Nigerian Was Told As A Child by Nobody: 11:41pm On Jun 27, 2016
Hahaha i remember the number 2....that time they always tell us if u swallow a fruit seed its gon germinate in ur stomach

1 Like

Re: Five Outrageous Lies Every Nigerian Was Told As A Child by Nobody: 11:43pm On Jun 27, 2016
grin ojuju calabar is enough to stop any kind of play goin on..........

2 Likes

Re: Five Outrageous Lies Every Nigerian Was Told As A Child by Laveda(f): 11:46pm On Jun 27, 2016
slyIsaac:

undecided..go to bed.
Re: Five Outrageous Lies Every Nigerian Was Told As A Child by Oliviaxx(f): 12:22am On Jun 28, 2016
I believed number 2 till i was 13 or so embarassed
Re: Five Outrageous Lies Every Nigerian Was Told As A Child by CAPSLOCKED: 1:21am On Jun 28, 2016
A LIST LIKE THIS WILL FOREVER REMAIN INCOMPLETE WITHOUT THE TALE OF THE CHRISTIAN GOD..

WHO MADE THE PLANTS BEFORE HE MADE SUNLIGHT, AND DAY/NIGHT BEFORE HE MADE THE FIRMAMENTS AND HEAVENLY BODIES.

......NOT TO KICK ASIDE, THE FOLKTALE OF A CERTAIN CAIN, WHO SUPPOSEDLY HAD SEX WITH HIMSELF AND BORE THE VERY FIRST ANCIENT PEOPLE WHO BORE THE ANCESTORS WHO BORE THE PEOPLE WHO BORE US.
Re: Five Outrageous Lies Every Nigerian Was Told As A Child by danbrowndmf(m): 2:55am On Jun 28, 2016
slyIsaac:
Lmao!

(1) (Reply)

Notice To All Ladys On Nairaland / Container Kills 7 People, Leaves 12 Others Injured On Lagos-badagry Expressway / Nigeria Will Pioneer With Free Digital Television

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 13
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.