Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,152,114 members, 7,814,914 topics. Date: Wednesday, 01 May 2024 at 11:15 PM

I Find It Difficult To Keep These Birds As Pet, Help - Pets (3) - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Pets / I Find It Difficult To Keep These Birds As Pet, Help (31069 Views)

See What My Neighbour Is Keeping As Pet (photo) / Viral: Zimbabwean Woman Tames Lion As Pet / I Love Rabbits... I Want One As Pet... (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (Reply) (Go Down)

Re: I Find It Difficult To Keep These Birds As Pet, Help by NevetsIbot(m): 12:12am On Jun 29, 2016
these birds are annoying. I caught this specie twice and they died. I caught those black and white small birds in droves but they died. Ion know why the never every stay alive.

I later caught a white pigeon with pinkish red legs. Very cute. Took it home and it adjusted to the enviroment, didn't tie it. Mum came home then and forced me to take it back where I saw it.... I took the bird far away and you wouldnt bliv it, the bird flew back home. I made three trips to return it.

1 Like 1 Share

Re: I Find It Difficult To Keep These Birds As Pet, Help by NevetsIbot(m): 12:15am On Jun 29, 2016
bluejeff:
I also think these kind of birds are difficult to keep..
I once caught a swift and a weaver bird some 10 yrs ago, but they never lived past a day. Although, I had no idea what they ate back then, so I provided the usual food for doves and pigeons.. I later got to find out they eat more of insects..
I once caught a kingfisher too, but the kind of noise it makes made me released it immediately.

lol. Na noise that one dey... Almost caught a waever bird them.. They're just samle and colourful.. Their greenish glossy feathers
Re: I Find It Difficult To Keep These Birds As Pet, Help by Krak(m): 12:30am On Jun 29, 2016
kinibd:
i suggest getting a parrot, i dont have one but the fact they can actually talk makes them amazing i would say.

In other news, do you need a natural permanent hair removal solution? Have you heard about thanaka powder and kusumba oil? Google and read more about both of them and send an email to kinibd@yahoo.com if interested in purchasing. Thanks.

Can they stop beards from growing? I hate my beards.
Re: I Find It Difficult To Keep These Birds As Pet, Help by enshi(m): 12:31am On Jun 29, 2016
Op you and I have the same passion..... The waste bin is too porous for air, those birds can be kept outside in the very open, did you drop millet for them, so pls get a cage with partitions and artificial flowers.... I have that same kind and it's been with me for 8 months now
Re: I Find It Difficult To Keep These Birds As Pet, Help by enshi(m): 12:31am On Jun 29, 2016
Op you and I have the same passion..... The waste bin is too porous for air, those birds cant be kept outside in the very open, did you drop millet for them, so pls get a cage with partitions and artificial flowers.... I have that same kind and it's been with me for 8 months now
Re: I Find It Difficult To Keep These Birds As Pet, Help by BOUNTYDOG(m): 12:55am On Jun 29, 2016
Not all birds are strong to withstand captivity.most of the common birds we see around daily can hardly survive outside the wild life except for the pigeon.
If u want a smal bird u go for the exotic birds.the best u can get around here is the yellow canary,smaller than D one u caught,NOTE:she's not D one u said u see in ur compund dat makes noise,she is smaller,with bright yellow not dark lyk D one around uu,has longer lifesan,can stay years.
Pls stop to catch dose birds,birds are very faithful,for each one killed,u have shattered D hrt of the partner.
Will share my personal experience another time
Re: I Find It Difficult To Keep These Birds As Pet, Help by idupaul: 12:55am On Jun 29, 2016
That type of sparrow detest captivity so they will die of frustration
Re: I Find It Difficult To Keep These Birds As Pet, Help by Lesbiangalr: 1:10am On Jun 29, 2016
I think you have some loose screws in ur head and u should be arrested for animal cruelty. If you want birds as a pet go find a pet shop and see if you can get some.
Re: I Find It Difficult To Keep These Birds As Pet, Help by cardoctor(m): 1:19am On Jun 29, 2016
If this had been in he U.K, you would be in jail by now.

1 Like

Re: I Find It Difficult To Keep These Birds As Pet, Help by sorextee(m): 1:26am On Jun 29, 2016
I hate my beards too. Mine grows prematurely. I suspect my village witches. Those peeps do not care where they attack you from..

Krak:

Can they stop beards from growing? I hate my beards.
Re: I Find It Difficult To Keep These Birds As Pet, Help by OMAR12: 1:38am On Jun 29, 2016
O.P uhmm some birds are not built for captivity just as some birds can never leave a particular habitat and when that habitat get distroyed by man, those birds dwindle and go into extinction. last year u caught more than 6 and they all died, I recommend u first gather as much information about these type of birds,learn about them study how often they tend to stay close to the ground, cos I see these birds around my house I can tell u for sure that they don't stay at a place. just look for another type of bird much smaller to tame or train. u can Google these words ( African birds that can survive in captivity or birds found in Nigeria that can survive in captivity) .
Re: I Find It Difficult To Keep These Birds As Pet, Help by Lesbiangalr: 1:48am On Jun 29, 2016
Flashh:

How he rush to comment on pet related threads. cheesy
[img]http://earstomymusic.files./2015/06/flash-gif-2.gif?w=1146&h=254[/img]

Thanks for making me laugh!

3 Likes

Re: I Find It Difficult To Keep These Birds As Pet, Help by matrix199(m): 2:01am On Jun 29, 2016
IndianBwoy:
ha ha ha. you funny gan

you are struggling with common sparrow while i dey struggle with baby falcon sef. (kestrel)

btw I don't cage my bird. I used to tie it, but the sharp guy untied all the knots on its leg and ripped of its anklets.

so i just let him free around my house and balcony which is spacious enough and filled with plants.
(still training him though so i can take her outdoors later for hunting small prey).

ample amount of sunlight and perching spots to spread his wings.

A perch is necessary. mine needs a rough carpeted material. don't let your bird perch on the cold floor. it will get bumblefoot or some other sore condition.

make sure his dietery requirements are fulfilled.

In my case , my girl needs fresh meat, bones, insect , lizard and live prey if possible. (day old chick, rats, sparrow, etc.)

if giving just organ meat, add some vitamin powder or inject vitamin supplements into the food.

Always provide sufficient water.

summary:

-enough space
-perch
-shelter/box/nest
-nutritious food
-water
-sunlight/fresh air
-company . remember for birds : Boredom kills .

Just 4 days ago, I heard a squeal just outside my apartment and I rushed out to see what was making the noise. I saw a kestrel struggling to impale a finch(shakuro) with its talons. But the finch fought hard, trying to let loose. It was squealing so loudly and beating its wings so fast, I just couldn't watch seeing that finch die. The way the finch struggled forced the kestrel to stay aground to kill the bird before flying off with it, I just couldn't watch seeing the finch die. So I kicked the kestrel so hard that it let the finch go. The finch couldn't fly, it was stunned and injured. The kestrel was waiting on the roof of the flat, waiting for an opportunity to finish the bird. I was between the hungry kestrel and the wounded finch. I know I shouldn't have interfered with nature, but just had to. So, I picked up the finch and nursed it. When I got back from work yesterday, the finch was darting around in the big basket I kept it, so I set it free.

For a kestrel to have succeeded in catching that particular specie of finch(sparrow/shakuro) which is one of the most agile and hard to catch birds, meant the kestrel is a formidable bird of prey.

2 Likes

Re: I Find It Difficult To Keep These Birds As Pet, Help by Nobody: 2:19am On Jun 29, 2016
cardoctor:
If this had been in he U.K, you would be in jail by now.
not entirely true...i remember watching a tv show where some jjc eastern Europeans killed a goose in the park. by the time the police came, the bird was already being cooked with stew..lol.
the police warned them and let them off the hook.
Re: I Find It Difficult To Keep These Birds As Pet, Help by Theoflux(m): 2:26am On Jun 29, 2016
darkenkach:
Why not try the pigeons? I doubt if you can keep that kind of bird as pet.
Yea, the pidgeons, clever birds with brains.
Re: I Find It Difficult To Keep These Birds As Pet, Help by Noizmaycar: 3:12am On Jun 29, 2016
IMASTEX:
I have this long interest and passion to keep birds as pet. I have severally caught some few birds which I intended keeping as pet. The shocking news is that I usually wake up the following day to meet them dead, even before I could get a bird cage. I do have this bad feelings been somehow responsible for the deaths, and I am equally not pleased not to have my long desires of keeping a bird as pet come through.
Please, I need advise on the following:
1. What could be exactly responsible for the deaths?
2. What is the name of this particular breeds?
3. Can they be kept as pet. If no, which do you recommend? And if Yes, how?

Thanks for your response

U don't cage birds like dat becuz dey don't stay in cage for long nt even 24hrs.... U can only cage pigeon.
Re: I Find It Difficult To Keep These Birds As Pet, Help by Ademoore07(m): 3:43am On Jun 29, 2016
IMASTEX:
This is where I temporary keep them
All I see is bird flu
Re: I Find It Difficult To Keep These Birds As Pet, Help by Nobody: 3:50am On Jun 29, 2016
tosinjay:

Huh, birds commit suicide, with what? Rope or knife? This is the first time am learning this oo! shocked

Humans have ways of committing suicide and so do animals too... It might not be scientifically proven, but if u catch 100 birds of dat specie, all will die leaving you wondering how dey died... Once you catch dem and touch dem with ur bare hands,and try to keep dem.dey activate their suicide mode immediately
Re: I Find It Difficult To Keep These Birds As Pet, Help by Simplesoul05(m): 4:48am On Jun 29, 2016
Baylam:
Simplesoul05 come and see my pet!!!

Lol grin
Re: I Find It Difficult To Keep These Birds As Pet, Help by ilyas26(m): 4:57am On Jun 29, 2016
When you cage birds, you already deny them of the greatest pleasure in life which is flying so they die quickly. I'll advise you to stop it at once or you'll have a special place built for you in hell
Re: I Find It Difficult To Keep These Birds As Pet, Help by VaginaTerrorist(m): 5:05am On Jun 29, 2016
That Bird you are hold is a Weaver and belongs to the family Ploceidae. It Is very Imposible to keep them as pet because of their body system. They surfer from heart attack, muscle bind, cold, chronic respiratory disease( crd) once in captivity or restricted movement. Their body is so small to generated the required heat needed for survival. And notice they walk as in hop hop hop every thing about them is fast! If you want them to survive build a cage as big as football field, then for those that eat rice or corn, plant enough for them! You would see them go invite all their villager come. You just cant domesticate them.

I Love Avians and thaats my little knowledge. I've been keeping parot, Turkey, Bush fowls, pigeons, ducks... Wild pigeons are so caring and survives well once their diet is balance. Or better still---->teach them to eat what ever you eat. Give the what ever drugs you take according to their body size. If you spend much time with them, I bet you'l soon stop eatin chicken.

1 Like 1 Share

Re: I Find It Difficult To Keep These Birds As Pet, Help by VaginaTerrorist(m): 5:05am On Jun 29, 2016
Pls Dont be a Wicked man....

...That Bird you are holding is a Weaver and belongs to the family Ploceidae. It Is very Imposible to cage them as pet because of their body system. They immediately develop and die from Cardiac Arrest, Muscle bind, Cold, Chronic Respiratory Disease( CRD) once in captivity or restricted movement.

------ Their body is so small to generate the required amount of heat needed for survival. And try notice they always walk as in hop hop hop every thing about them is fast fast fast just to keep up the heat!

---- Abeg just 4get am. Or If you want them to survive build a cage as Big as Football field, then for those that eat rice or corn, plant enough for them! As they always love to harvest by themselves.

Dont ask me why because, Have you ever seen Pusssy Cat on Dog Chains before?!

------ just like as I have never seen a Cat eat a dead Rat killed by human or another means.

Damn Fork it!!! These birds just cant eat from you, man!!!!!

....But if you have a rice or maize farm You would see them go invite all their villagers come. You just cant domesticate them.

I Love Avians just as I love women and thats my little knowledge and expirence about them.
I keep parot, Turkey, Bush fowls, pidgeons, ducks... Wild pidgeons are so caring and survives well once their diet is balance. Or better still-

--->teach them to eat what ever you eat. Give them what ever drugs you take according to their body size. Sometimes they develop headachs too. If you have any, just see them as your child or another familiy member you need to care for.

Pls Remember: If you want most birds to be in good health always dont cage them. Let them live in Places far from city noise.

I give all my birds freedom of movement. We stay i noiseless environment.

If you spend much time with them, I bet you'l soon stop eating Avians. They too are God's handwork... Oya take the 11 commandmen. Thou Shall not cage or eat Birds.

2 Likes

Re: I Find It Difficult To Keep These Birds As Pet, Help by cornel994(m): 5:27am On Jun 29, 2016
Op dats a baby Zinc bird na...look fr d one witout d y strips in d beak, it's also a very agile bird
Re: I Find It Difficult To Keep These Birds As Pet, Help by younghartz(m): 5:37am On Jun 29, 2016
Seun:
I think they died of thirst. Did you provide them with water? Dehydration kills much faster than hunger. Plan for them before getting new ones.

After 2 to 3 days
Re: I Find It Difficult To Keep These Birds As Pet, Help by Baroba(m): 5:41am On Jun 29, 2016
Walexz02:

Is this not the bird that makes a lot of noise.
They usually cohabit in group i think.

No, I think the specie you meant are weaver birds, the look similar but different.. Those ones are migratory birds that move in flocks and extremely noisey as you said, its not uncommon to find them with hundreds of beautifully woven nest near corn fields during rainy seasons.. Those one are farmers number one enemy birds, as the can easily decimate a corn field within a few days.. I remember my late grand ma use to pay hunters to shot there nest on the mango tree the usually camp just to protect her maize farm.. cheesy..We call it Asha in Igboland.. see example below..

1 Share

Re: I Find It Difficult To Keep These Birds As Pet, Help by xreal: 5:48am On Jun 29, 2016
Grey Parrots.

that answers question 3(b)
Re: I Find It Difficult To Keep These Birds As Pet, Help by Nobody: 5:54am On Jun 29, 2016
I can never understand the desire to imprison birds as pets.
they are meant to spread their wings and soar.
abeg free them and go for already domesticated animals like dogs.
after all a dog is a man's best friend.
respect nature and stop killing these birds abeg.
Re: I Find It Difficult To Keep These Birds As Pet, Help by chinkichun: 5:57am On Jun 29, 2016
Flashh:

How he rush to comment on pet related threads. cheesy
[img]http://earstomymusic.files./2015/06/flash-gif-2.gif?w=1146&h=254[/img]

Lol.... grin

2 Likes

Re: I Find It Difficult To Keep These Birds As Pet, Help by Nobody: 5:58am On Jun 29, 2016
be like say na you dey kill dem.
Re: I Find It Difficult To Keep These Birds As Pet, Help by Baroba(m): 5:58am On Jun 29, 2016
princey83:

not entirely true...i remember watching a tv show where some jjc eastern Europeans killed a goose in the park. by the time the police came, the bird was already being cooked with stew..lol.
the police warned them and let them off the hook.

The police would have laughed seeing that, though goose are not that protected that's why I guess, if that was a Swan it would have been a different story.. Killing one of those will land you Six months in jail..
Re: I Find It Difficult To Keep These Birds As Pet, Help by BuddhaPalm(m): 6:14am On Jun 29, 2016
If you love birds so much, why not watch them on YouTube?

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (Reply)

Diary of My Rare Sable German Shepherd / 10 Ways To Spot Dogs Owned By Poor People / Juliana, The Dog That Got Two Blue Cross Medals

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 53
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.