Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,151,606 members, 7,812,992 topics. Date: Tuesday, 30 April 2024 at 01:58 AM

Ferguson Backs Eduardo Suspension - European Football (EPL, UEFA, La Liga) - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Entertainment / Sports / European Football (EPL, UEFA, La Liga) / Ferguson Backs Eduardo Suspension (588 Views)

Alex Ferguson’s Last Chewed Gum For Sale On E-bay / Crimes Rate In Mexico Go Down When Chicharito Plays-cops Plead On Ferguson / Rafa Benitez Vs Alex Ferguson- The Mind Games Continues! (2) (3) (4)

(1) (Reply)

Ferguson Backs Eduardo Suspension by ndelta1(m): 8:10am On Sep 05, 2009
Manchester United manager Sir Alex Ferguson has backed Uefa's decision to ban Arsenal striker Eduardo for two Champions League matches for diving.

The Croatia forward was found guilty of deceiving referee Manuel Gonzalez to win a penalty against Celtic in August.

Ferguson said European football's governing body had to send a strong disciplinary message because of the high-profile nature of the competition.

"I have to agree that something had to be done," said the Scot.

Arsenal were leading 2-0 on aggregate when Eduardo fell under a challenge from Celtic goalkeeper Artur Boruc.

The striker scored the resulting penalty and the Gunners went on to win the two-leg tie 5-1.

Arsenal are appealing against the ban and released a statement calling the decision by European football's governing body "deeply flawed".

Arsenal boss Arsene Wenger has accused Uefa of conducting a "witch-hunt" and claimed that they had set a dangerous precedent whereby any decision made by an official can be contested after the match.

606: DEBATE
Ferguson would have had a completely different tune if one of his players were being made an example of

RVN - Ramsey Vela Nasri

And Ferguson, who is attending a Uefa coaching forum in Nyon - along with Wenger, among others - supports the way the Frenchman has dealt with the situation.

He added: "I agree with Arsene, I would ask the same question 'is it going to happen to everyone?'

"You become insular and protective of your own player and own team, we're all selfish that way.

"I would have been saying 'what about all the rest of the players?'.

"But I wouldn't have been pleased if my player had done that.

"I wouldn't say it publicly though, because when you do that you're in danger of losing the morale of the dressing room.

"Privately, as I've done many times, you have a different view, but I wouldn't do it publicly."

If Arsenal's appeal fails Eduardo will miss the trip to Standard Liege on 16 September and the home match with Olympiacos on 29 September.

Re: Ferguson Backs Eduardo Suspension by ayusman16(m): 11:36am On Sep 05, 2009
Lets say the old Fergie is getting old and therefore needs to watch his utterances.

(1) (Reply)

Man United Deny Pogba Inducement / Uefa Says Eduardo Dind't Dive / Obafemi Blasts Newcastle Players, Docs - Wary Of Owen's Threat

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 9
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.