Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,154,607 members, 7,823,639 topics. Date: Friday, 10 May 2024 at 12:48 PM

What Can Nigeria Learn From The BREXIT Debacle? - Politics (2) - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Politics / What Can Nigeria Learn From The BREXIT Debacle? (20629 Views)

For How Long Can Nigeria Wait For A President Who Is Incapacitated?- Ayo Fayose / A Plan Without A Plan (can Biafra Learn From The Brexit?) / Nigeria Learn: Senegal Gets Rid Of Its Senate To Save Money (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (Reply) (Go Down)

Re: What Can Nigeria Learn From The BREXIT Debacle? by Mrjo(m): 9:00am On Jun 30, 2016
So u think everybody is e-warrior like u?
modath:

No words? Seems you've realised your limitations, Not your strong suit, Good boy! smiley

6 Likes 1 Share

Re: What Can Nigeria Learn From The BREXIT Debacle? by Babacele: 9:35am On Jun 30, 2016
zendy:

This article of yours is misleading. The reason why Brexit won was for two reasons, sovereignty and immigration. But the main reason for leaving had more to do with immigration than sovereignty. In the case of Nigeria, the secessionists care much less about immigration than they care about sovereignty. Even with the Brexit vote, Britain can still be a part of the EEA/EEC just like Swizerland and Norway and still enjoy the benefits of the EU single market if they allow freedom of movement. But in the context of Nigeria, the secessionists see no economic benefit of being part of Nigeria, they believe that that Nigeria has stolen their sovereigntt, and, they are quite willing allow freedom of movement to an extent. To surmise, the main thing that BREXIT teaches us is that it is the right of anyone to leave any political arrangement but that the Economy and sovereignty must take precedence over immigration
so what are you waiting for?

1 Like

Re: What Can Nigeria Learn From The BREXIT Debacle? by chinchum(m): 9:36am On Jun 30, 2016
SWOT analysis always needed in such decisions, to fashion out mitigation measures, but sentiments clouded reasoning means only the strength and opportunities are considered, the weaknesses and threats are veiled with the lens of sentiment. Now the lens of sentiment have been removed from the eyes of the leave EU campaigners, they are now forced to deal with the negatives of their decision.

1 Like

Re: What Can Nigeria Learn From The BREXIT Debacle? by zendy: 9:39am On Jun 30, 2016
Babacele:
so what are you waiting for?

Unfortunately, your country Nigeria is not as civilised as Britain or the European Union. But slowly they are starting to learn that you don't get 'one Nigeria' through the barrel of the gun. We are getting there, slowly but surely.

8 Likes

Re: What Can Nigeria Learn From The BREXIT Debacle? by Babacele: 9:49am On Jun 30, 2016
zendy:

Unfortunately, your country Nigeria is not as civilised as Britain or the European Union. But slowly they are starting to learn that you don't get 'one Nigeria' through the barrel of the gun. We are getting there, slowly but surely.
many of you talk like kids. Still baffles me why this sudden calls for 'freedom' from only God knows what was on holiday during the 6 years of GEJ .....if you are damn serious about having a sovereignty, you know what to do and there are copious examples from The New World, Ghandi to Brexit or bregret....it is more than using high Falutin expressions laced with hate and threats....

5 Likes

Re: What Can Nigeria Learn From The BREXIT Debacle? by zendy: 11:18am On Jun 30, 2016
Babacele:
many of you talk like kids. Still baffles me why this sudden calls for 'freedom' from only God knows what was on holiday during the 6 years of GEJ .....if you are damn serious about having a sovereignty, you know what to do and there are copious examples from The New World, Ghandi to Brexit or bregret....it is more than using high Falutin expressions laced with hate and threats....

What baffles you? So you never heard of MASSOB or IPOB long before GEJ? The call for freedom has always been there, you just heard it at your own appointed time. As for what we should for our own exit, you used Brexit as an example? I guess they didn't tell you that the same Britain came together in the treaty of 1707 where they signed to unite the kingdoms of Scotland, Wales and England under one crown. The same Britain signed to be part of the EU in 1973. Now when and where did I sign to do 'one Nigeria' with you? Oh yeah! Lord Lugard came to west Africa to baptise all of us Nigerians in 1914! Now I have to go and beg a bunch strangers for the same freedom that was stolen from me! Sweet!

15 Likes 1 Share

Re: What Can Nigeria Learn From The BREXIT Debacle? by Babacele: 11:39am On Jun 30, 2016
zendy:

What baffles you? So you never heard of MASSOB or IPOB long before GEJ? The call for freedom has always been there, you just heard it at your own appointed time. As for what we should for our own exit, you used Brexit as an example? I guess they didn't tell you that the same Britain came together in the treaty of 1707 where they signed to unite the kingdoms of Scotland, Wales and England under one crown. Now when and where did I sign to do 'one Nigeria' with you? Oh yeah! Lord Lugard came to west Africa to baptise all of us Nigerians! Now I have to go and beg a bunch strangers for the same freedom that was stolen from me! Sweet!
Massob , ipob or whatever was on mute mode when it had the best opportunity to initiate SEexit but suddenly woke up when Pmb took the candy away from the clueless baby........oh Mr History at what point did you realise that you never signed any treaty with anybody under Lugard's watch? Only when you loose the control of the candy? Who is stopping you?

France and Germany would be soberly happy Britain did this to herself. It s like deliberately stripping yourself of some of your enormous power economically and geographically. Would Cameron come back now that he is being proven right? No Sir, this David might only help the Goliath on his feet by fostering the emergence of a new manager : a Churchill with an intimidating economic credential and an avuncular humanness that the Scots and d Irish can flow with and who may likely turn the Lisbon Treaty : A 50 to an advantage and, who knows if he can take Britain back to EU if need be as they ain't out yet until after 2 years.....I'm looking beyond the Bregret but the wrong signals of a crack that the Brexit is sending all over the world and which ipob like you are misinterpreting to fit in into your ignorant narratives.

6 Likes

Re: What Can Nigeria Learn From The BREXIT Debacle? by OjukwuWarBird: 11:52am On Jun 30, 2016
zendy:

What baffles you? So you never heard of MASSOB or IPOB long before GEJ? The call for freedom has always been there, you just heard it at your own appointed time. As for what we should for our own exit, you used Brexit as an example? I guess they didn't tell you that the same Britain came together in the treaty of 1707 where they signed to unite the kingdoms of Scotland, Wales and England under one crown. The same Britain signed to be part of the EU in 1973. Now when and where did I sign to do 'one Nigeria' with you? Oh yeah! Lord Lugard came to west Africa to baptise all of us Nigerians in 1914! Now I have to go and beg a bunch strangers for the same freedom that was stolen from me! Sweet!

Wonderful.

I have always asked some political illiterates like the one you quoted to show proof where we agreed to be Nigerians.

Unity is not something you force on people

Unfortunately animal thinkers that we have in Nigeria won't accept fact.

4 Likes

Re: What Can Nigeria Learn From The BREXIT Debacle? by Ngozi123(f): 1:05pm On Jun 30, 2016
sumborri:
The clamour for change always appears the solution to current problems, these changes. Most times result from improperly channeled feelings of anger, inequality andd unfairness. Seccesional change is always an idealogical solution and never a practical one. The outcome of the brexit vote has once again proven that the solution to developmental and radical changes aimed at equity and status quo can never truly be achieved by an ill thought seccesionalist motive.

the UK is currently rudderless, scotland is current sitting in the brussels EU summit while david cameron was denied entry, the UK has been told verbatim that there will be no entry into the EU free market without free rights of passage, the outcome of the brexit not only threatens the unity of the UK, it also threatens its future economy.

What's most baffling appears to be that, major proponents of the leave campaign have ran away or taken the back seat, nobody appears a fore runner to leading the UK or whatever is left of it , into the uncharted waters of the unknown.

I always tell seccesionist groups to plan their move, plan their economic models, plan their politcal models, before the start agitating for seccesion, but all we observe are agitations before any planning or objective considerations are made. Because its always easier to play a victim card filled with tribalism or racism as in the britain case, thus beclouding sound judgement on the merits and demerits of a seccesion.

Nigeria is filled with seccesionalists, take a cue from the brexit and plan before you agitate. Never wipe ur bottom before using the toilet.

#commonsense

This analogy makes no sense as the UK was already a sovereign nation. The direct analogy would be Nigeria opting to leave the African Union. It would have been better for you to use the Scottish referendum as a comparison to the situation we find ourselves in. The Scots are now clamouring for a second referendum...

2 Likes 1 Share

Re: What Can Nigeria Learn From The BREXIT Debacle? by Nobody: 5:08pm On Jun 30, 2016
PhilemonObende:

Then go use your fulani bows and arrows to unite the British with the EU. grin grin
what i mean is it is by force to be in one Nigeria, and alot more than bows and arrows will keep it that way. sorry but no biaexit for you
Re: What Can Nigeria Learn From The BREXIT Debacle? by Nobody: 5:20pm On Jun 30, 2016
modath:

Did you by any chance plan to write "anticipated"? shocked

Someone with rationale & superior knowledge talk sontin, instead of you to just waka pass with your barely adequate, you had to show yourself!! What a pity.. undecided

On Topic.....

More than 50% of the "Leavers" have been honest enough to own up to the fact that they didn't know their votes would count & they also didn't know the real story about the economics & politics..

Scare mongers did a number on them, then their innate bigotry, ignorance & misplaced /misdirected anger just capped it & sealed their fates..

I've been laughing like no man's business following news about #Bregret and the tweets are so funny however #Post RefRacism leaves a lot to be desired....

Like i will always say, i prefer a restructured Nigeria to tiny inconsiquential blobs on the map, however if go no go, Singapore, Luxemborg , Leitchensten etc may be small but they aren't doing too badly. Shebi Iceland with 300k population dumped the English ballers with their basket mouth press out of Euro 2016...

Small country in peace & prosperity beats a contraption with too much strife & wahala ... less "in house" saboteurs & destructive elements...

well written. I concur.

1 Like

Re: What Can Nigeria Learn From The BREXIT Debacle? by Nobody: 5:32pm On Jun 30, 2016
I think those agitating for exit from Nigeria are in two groups:

the first group are only excited about the "idea" of their own country. they don't have any idea what makes a country run let alone try and prepare to run theirs.

the second group are those who are only agitating for bi@fra because they see it as a way to "punish" Nigeria. it's likely this particular set of people actually know that the new country MAY not survive it's parturition stage, but hey! whatever hurts Nigeria must be good right?

nobody has tried yet to lay out a cogent plan for the new state. all you hear is "let's have a million man March", "yolobas are cowards", "death to buhari", "Nigeria is a zoo" etc.

10 Likes

Re: What Can Nigeria Learn From The BREXIT Debacle? by PhilemonObende: 6:42pm On Jun 30, 2016
kropotkin2:
what i mean is it is by force to be in one Nigeria, and alot more than bows and arrows will keep it that way. sorry but no biaexit for you

I know, that's why the oil that you covet so much will continue to go up in flame. It's a simple and efficient way of weaning almajiris off crude so that they can embrace Arewa republic. grin grin

4 Likes

Re: What Can Nigeria Learn From The BREXIT Debacle? by Nobody: 9:20pm On Jun 30, 2016
PhilemonObende:

I know that's why the oil that you covet so much will continue to go up in flame. It's a simple and efficient way of weaning almajiris off crude so that they can embracw Arewa. grin grin
Exactly. you are absolutely correct. The state will crush you if you attempt to rebel. The events of may support my assertion
Re: What Can Nigeria Learn From The BREXIT Debacle? by PhilemonObende: 9:25pm On Jun 30, 2016
kropotkin2:
Exactly. you are absolutely correct. The state will crush you if you attempt to rebel. The events of may support my assertion

Just like you've been crushing and recrushing the militants every month. LWTMB.

4 Likes

Re: What Can Nigeria Learn From The BREXIT Debacle? by truthspeaks: 3:15pm On Jul 01, 2016
D way ApC campaigned wit its 'change mantra' but never had plan for governance
sumborri:
The clamour for change always appears the solution to current problems, these changes. Most times result from improperly channeled feelings of anger, inequality andd unfairness. Seccesional change is always an idealogical solution and never a practical one. The outcome of the brexit vote has once again proven that the solution to developmental and radical changes aimed at equity and status quo can never truly be achieved by an ill thought seccesionalist motive.

the UK is currently rudderless, scotland is current sitting in the brussels EU summit while david cameron was denied entry, the UK has been told verbatim that there will be no entry into the EU free market without free rights of passage, the outcome of the brexit not only threatens the unity of the UK, it also threatens its future economy.

What's most baffling appears to be that, major proponents of the leave campaign have ran away or taken the back seat, nobody appears a fore runner to leading the UK or whatever is left of it , into the uncharted waters of the unknown.

I always tell seccesionist groups to plan their move, plan their economic models, plan their politcal models, before the start agitating for seccesion, but all we observe are agitations before any planning or objective considerations are made. Because its always easier to play a victim card filled with tribalism or racism as in the britain case, thus beclouding sound judgement on the merits and demerits of a seccesion.

Nigeria is filled with seccesionalists, take a cue from the brexit and plan before you agitate. Never wipe ur bottom before using the toilet.

#commonsense

6 Likes

Re: What Can Nigeria Learn From The BREXIT Debacle? by Olukat(m): 3:18pm On Jul 01, 2016
sumborri:
if I say I didn't laugh at the response on the first paragraph, then hell awaits me.

The fact is that I feel them brits wanna rescinde their leave decisions but don't wanna appear silly, it made no economic sense to leave the EU, there has been an increase in xenophobic attacks since the brexit result, the UK economy isn't tied to any tangible product and thus its growth indices is heavily dependent to being a major market player, how could such come to be when they have isolated themselves from the rest of europe. Most annoyingly the leave campaigners didn't have any concrete leadership plans if the brexit went in their favour. The behaviour of the scots and possible feelers from other countries that make up the UK , show a possiblity of breaking the UK as we know it, it makes no sense to leave the EU simply because some pompous brits feel overshadowed by germany as the central power base. Yet in a UK arrangement same peeps bully others. Thus I ask, weren't other members of the UK consulted before the brexit vote ? Didnt they realise all the possible fall outs of the result ?

Same applies to seccesionalist groups like the ipob, avengers etc. It might be noble and best fit to leave the nigerian entrapption, yet its clear that what is at fore front is the aggitation and idealogical bias borne out of real or imagined wrongs. Critical issues like political, economic plans, structures and models for the new colonies or countries aren't given much attention. Most of them could acheive the seccesion and find themselves in the doldrums.

1st line= Bravo
Paragraph 1= wonderful piece wink wink
Last paragraph= You're knocking on hell's door grin grin grin grin

2 Likes

Re: What Can Nigeria Learn From The BREXIT Debacle? by sumborri: 3:20pm On Jul 01, 2016
truthspeaks:
D way ApC campaigned wit its 'change mantra' but never had plan for governance
hate to admit it, but a big YES

1 Like

Re: What Can Nigeria Learn From The BREXIT Debacle? by Nobody: 3:24pm On Jul 01, 2016
mtchewwww
Re: What Can Nigeria Learn From The BREXIT Debacle? by Okijajuju1(m): 3:24pm On Jul 01, 2016
Enough with this Brexit gist..

Britain will be fine..
Re: What Can Nigeria Learn From The BREXIT Debacle? by Nobody: 3:25pm On Jul 01, 2016
sumborri:

#commonsense

Exactly!!!!
I told some of my friends that the vote for leaving the EU was largely sentimental bruv!
Now we are starting to see reality
It's going to the very hard for the monarchy to keep the United kingdom and Northern Ireland together
I expect he IRA to resume clamouring soon for an independent Ireland via force or a new referendum
Let's watch events unfold

1 Like 1 Share

Re: What Can Nigeria Learn From The BREXIT Debacle? by Nobody: 3:28pm On Jul 01, 2016
modath:

Did you by any chance plan to write "anticipated"? shocked

Someone with rationale & superior knowledge talk sontin, instead of you to just waka pass with your barely adequate, you had to show yourself!! What a pity.. undecided

On Topic.....

More than 50% of the "Leavers" have been honest enough to own up to the fact that they didn't know their votes would count & they also didn't know the real story about the economics & politics..

Scare mongers did a number on them, then their innate bigotry, ignorance & misplaced /misdirected anger just capped it & sealed their fates..

I've been laughing like no man's business following news about #Bregret and the tweets are so funny however #Post RefRacism leaves a lot to be desired....

Like i will always say, i prefer a restructured Nigeria to tiny inconsiquential blobs on the map, however if go no go, Singapore, Luxemborg , Leitchensten etc may be small but they aren't doing too badly. Shebi Iceland with 300k population dumped the English ballers with their basket mouth press out of Euro 2016...

Small country in peace & prosperity beats a contraption with too much strife & wahala ... less "in house" saboteurs & destructive elements...

I like how you think!
Sweet points you raised
We should be friends

1 Like

Re: What Can Nigeria Learn From The BREXIT Debacle? by stefan388: 3:29pm On Jul 01, 2016
sumborri:

#commonsense
dust

2 Likes

Re: What Can Nigeria Learn From The BREXIT Debacle? by agitator: 3:32pm On Jul 01, 2016
sumborri:
all I hear is we have the, we have the, yet no concrete proof to that effect. This is very similar with the inferior brits according to you, an over hyped sense of beclouding ill judgement about their capabilities and relevance.

If you have all those things, why is the SE not a london, why is it still the SE. Or are the skills being saved only till biafra is acheived before they are displayed ?

Oliver and wilbur wright never said we have the skills to build planes, they simply built one and proved they could. What can you all prove

If they are such inconsequential fellows why are you bothering yourself over them?

it just beats the imagination how a sensible person will be saying another is useless and not important yet fighting tooth and nail to keep them.

Are you following the news on brexit, Germany and other nations are not interested to even entertain any talks of persuading UK to change their mind. they are even impatient the leaving is taking too long. tongue tongue tongue

So since they are not important why not let them go.

On the issue of referendum you mentioned, have they not been clamouring for a referendum to be conducted? shocked shocked shocked

4 Likes

Re: What Can Nigeria Learn From The BREXIT Debacle? by wellmax(m): 3:36pm On Jul 01, 2016
sumborri:
all I hear is we have the, we have the, yet no concrete proof to that effect. This is very similar with the inferior brits according to you, an over hyped sense of beclouding ill judgement about their capabilities and relevance.

If you have all those things, why is the SE not a london, why is it still the SE. Or are the skills being saved only till biafra is acheived before they are displayed ?

Oliver and wilbur wright never said we have the skills to build planes, they simply built one and proved they could. What can you all prove

I find your comments intelligent and devoid of the usual NLders way of using foul words when they run out of ideas.

1 Like

Re: What Can Nigeria Learn From The BREXIT Debacle? by agitator: 3:38pm On Jul 01, 2016
AndreSalvatore:
luk @ dis nigha..... Y ranting like an over fed baby?

Quoting yu s an insult to my persona...

Please, forgive the parasites. grin grin grin

1 Like

Re: What Can Nigeria Learn From The BREXIT Debacle? by foladara777(m): 3:38pm On Jul 01, 2016
The problem with the agitation for Biafra is that the agitators are being led by their hearts- emotions rather than by their heads- intellect and pragmatism...
The indisputable fact is that in case of a civil war, the Nigerian government has an infinitely superior armed force to whatever d secessionists can pull together- not only in terms of personnel and numerical strength but also finances, war machinery and political propaganda.
And as been inexorably reiterated on this thread, there is simply no plan on ground for what comes after secession... What exactly will be your territorial borders, d system and structure of government e.t.c. The lack of this type of blueprint will make a mockery of the attempt and possibly engender further secession attempts in the new reality called Biafra.
[b][/b]The agitation for Biafra is a noble and legitimate one...but is it operative or practical?? I beg to disagree

2 Likes

Re: What Can Nigeria Learn From The BREXIT Debacle? by sumborri: 3:38pm On Jul 01, 2016
agitator:

If they are such inconsequential fellows why are you bothering yourself over them?

it just beats the imagination how a sensible person will be saying another is useless and not important yet fighting tooth and nail to keep them.

Are you following the news on brexit, Germany and other nations are not interested to even entertain any talks of persuading UK to change their mind. they are even impatient the leaving is taking too long. tongue tongue tongue

So since they are not important why not let them go.

On the issue of referendum you mentioned, have they not been clamouring for a referendum to be conducted? shocked shocked shocked
in what manner have they clamoured for that? Did you see the brits throw stones and drive hate campaigns ? Watch and observe the scots in the coming days.

Also I never said anybody is useless. But they might be overratingg their capabilities. Very similar to a world champion on a swiming pool daring the high seas

2 Likes

Re: What Can Nigeria Learn From The BREXIT Debacle? by izzou(m): 3:39pm On Jul 01, 2016
OP, i commend you for this writeup but i think you should be a little bit OPEN MINDED.

Firstly, you may see the consequences of brexit being applicable to biafra but the are from two different causes.
The main reason the brexit prevailed was due to immigration issues followed by sovereignity. In biafra case, they feel cheated. You cant compare their reasons

Am an Igbo and i dont support biafra but that doesnt mean they dont have a cause. I think nigerians should spend more time on how we can make sure the hold of power is fair and not the consequences that we befall biafra
Look at our government today, some zones are being cheated. Some zones have ruled more than anybody else. 90 percent of our oil blocs are owned by a particular sect in another person's land.

My opinion sha. Thanks for the thread

4 Likes

Re: What Can Nigeria Learn From The BREXIT Debacle? by sumborri: 3:40pm On Jul 01, 2016
Uchihaitaci:

Exactly!!!!
I told some of my friends that the vote for leaving the EU was largely sentimental bruv!
Now we are starting to see reality
It's going to the very hard for the monarchy to keep the United kingdom and Northern Ireland together
I expect he IRA to resume clamouring soon for an independent Ireland via force or a new referendum
Let's watch events unfold
exactly, no country can be built on sentiments. Objectivity is needed for any SWOT analysis

1 Like

Re: What Can Nigeria Learn From The BREXIT Debacle? by pippimp(m): 3:42pm On Jul 01, 2016
OjukwuWarBird:

Never compare the inferior minded Brits with us.

We have all it takes to survive.

We have the human and natural resources to survive

If Nigeria by her sheer foolishness, causes us to opt out, Nigeria will never be better than Sudan.

What have we gained from this amoral nation.?

List them or forever keep quiet.

Saying the bold statement you made is like a bicycle saying "never compare an inferior Mercedes Benz with us". Lol.

1 Like

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (Reply)

Ike Ekweremadu Appointed Honorary Mayor-president Of The City Of Baton Rouge,usa / Petrol Scarcity Looms As Oil Workers Down Tools / Timi Frank To Tinubu: Your Silence Over Attacks Against Yorubas Worrisome

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 100
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.