Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,150,804 members, 7,810,094 topics. Date: Friday, 26 April 2024 at 08:35 PM

Nigeria Learn: Senegal Gets Rid Of Its Senate To Save Money - Politics - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Politics / Nigeria Learn: Senegal Gets Rid Of Its Senate To Save Money (30669 Views)

APC Begs Senate To Approve Buhari’s $30bn Loan Request / What Can Nigeria Learn From The BREXIT Debacle? / Senate To Strip Buhari Of Power Of Assent (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (Reply) (Go Down)

Nigeria Learn: Senegal Gets Rid Of Its Senate To Save Money by nairalandbuzz(m): 10:22am On Apr 19, 2016
[size=15pt]Senegal gets rid of its senate to save money[/size]

(CBS/AP) DAKAR, Senegal - Senegalese lawmakers, who are divided between a 150-seat national assembly and a 100-seat senate, voted to do away with the senate, passing a law which dissolves the institution in order to save an estimated $15 million.

Minister of Justice Aminata Toure explained that the suppression Tuesday of the senate is intended to curb government spending, and will provide the cash needed to help the victims of the yearly rains which have left thousands homeless and killed at least 13 people.

Unlike the national assembly, the senate is a relatively recent institution, and has become a symbol of government waste. It's been frequently pilloried and described as an instrument of cronyism, a way to reward loyal party workers who did not get elected to the larger national assembly. Around half the senators are directly appointed by the president.

Congress also voted to abolish the office of vice president, establish in 2009 by then-President Abdoulaye Wade, the BBC reports. It has not ever been occupied.

http://www.cbsnews.com/news/senegal-gets-rid-of-its-senate-to-save-money/

13 Likes 2 Shares

Re: Nigeria Learn: Senegal Gets Rid Of Its Senate To Save Money by DEXTROVERT: 10:25am On Apr 19, 2016
Dissolve
Is
Too
Small
For
Us
It
Should
Be
NIGERIANS
Killed
All
Her
Senators

295 Likes 16 Shares

Re: Nigeria Learn: Senegal Gets Rid Of Its Senate To Save Money by Nobody: 10:27am On Apr 19, 2016
I will support banning illiterates without certificate from ever mounting the saddle of Presidency in Nigeria

Vote refiner for Miss Nairaland.

www.nairaland.com/refiner

52 Likes 3 Shares

Re: Nigeria Learn: Senegal Gets Rid Of Its Senate To Save Money by VoteDemiladgold: 10:28am On Apr 19, 2016
Even If Nigeria opts to dissolve its senate, I don't think the national assembly will be any more competent to handle federal issues.

But do you think Nigeria should continue to copy what others are doing here and there?

6 Likes

Re: Nigeria Learn: Senegal Gets Rid Of Its Senate To Save Money by Achuwa1(m): 10:32am On Apr 19, 2016
the issue is not with the senate,but the president tht has no WASC certificate,,,,,how can an illiterate be rulling a country with so many sound & educated graduates,msc holders,phd holders 7 professors.,,,we need to get rid of pmb as soon as possible.

56 Likes 7 Shares

Re: Nigeria Learn: Senegal Gets Rid Of Its Senate To Save Money by chriskosherbal(m): 10:32am On Apr 19, 2016
Hmmm never really seen this before, quite strange.
Re: Nigeria Learn: Senegal Gets Rid Of Its Senate To Save Money by Achuwa1(m): 10:33am On Apr 19, 2016
7=&
Re: Nigeria Learn: Senegal Gets Rid Of Its Senate To Save Money by Joel3(m): 10:38am On Apr 19, 2016
this is what we need in Nigeria. but we all knows it will never work. Senegal is a small country with a population is just 14 million people.

we have more population and more politicians in Nigeria. and the senate is what is been used to reward party faithfuls.

ORGANS OR ARMS OF GOVERNMENT

These are (a) Executive, (b) Legislature and (c) Judiciary

THE EXECUTIVE

It is in two forms (a) Parliamentary Executive and (b) Presidential Executive

FUNCTIONS OF EXECUTIVE

i. implementation of laws
ii. maintenance of law and order through police
iii. making of law through its power of delegated legislation
iv. it prepares budget
v. it oversees day to day running of the administration
vi. the chief executive signs bills into law
vii. it initiates bills into parliament

THE LEGISTLATURE
It is also known as parliament. Every country has its name for it, for example in nigiera, it is known as National Assembly

FUNCTIONS

i. its main function is law making
ii. it approves annual budget
iii. it give approval to nominees of chief executive
iv. ratification of treaty negotiated by the executive
v. it performs semi-judicial function in some countries
vi. it can carry out investigation on issue of public interest
vii. it performs enlightenment campaigns through its activities like debates

TYPE OF LEGISLATURE

(a) Bicameral Legislature
(b) Unicameral Legislature

BICAMERAL LEGISTLATURE
This refers to the legislature with two legislature chambers or houses e.g. Nigeria, U.S.A, and Britain etc.

REASONS/ ADVANTAGES
i. To check, delay and reverse any hasty legislation that would have been passed by a single house.
ii. Distinguished citizens can be nominated where possible for their wisdom and resources to be sapped.
iii. To prevent emergence of dictatorial government.
iv. In a nominated seconds house, the house can be non-partisan
v. It allows for efficiency as a result of sharing of works between the two houses
vi. In a federal system of government, the second house can be used to provide for sequel representation among states e.g. Nigeria senate.

PROBLEMS/ DISADVANTAGES

i. there May be rivalry between the two houses because of problem of power distribution
ii. it is a waste of resources and manpower
iii. the second house may be two conservative e.g Britain
iv. in a nominated second house, it may be seen to be undemocratic
v. it may bring delay in law making
vi. it is too expensive to run smoothly

UNICAMERAL LEGISLATURE

This refers to a legislature with a single legislative house e.g. Israel

ADVANTAGES

i. Quick law making process
ii. Absence of rivalry
iii. Less expensive to run
iv. Ideal for a unitary state.

DISADVANTAGES

i. Bills can be hastily passed
ii. It may not be appropriate for a federal system
iii. Legislature can easy dominate executive
iv. Doctorial regime can easily emerge
v. It make it easy for the dominant party to dominate the legislative

THE JUDICIARY

It is the arm of government that is responsible for interpretation of law and settlement of disputes.
FUNCTIONS OF THE JUDICIARY

i. it interprets laws
ii. it settles conflicts in the society
iii. it protect the right of individuals
iv. it protects the constitution from both executive and legislature

FEATURES OF THE JUDICIARY

i. Independent of both executive and legislature
ii. Professionalism – they are legal experts
iii. Stable tenure of office
iv. Judicial immunity in the course of performing their official duties
v. It operates based on laid down procedure
vi. It has laid down code of conduct

INDEPENDENCE OF THE JUDICIARY

It means judiciary should be free from the excessive control of the other two arms of government when carrying out its official duties

82 Likes 10 Shares

Re: Nigeria Learn: Senegal Gets Rid Of Its Senate To Save Money by Nobody: 10:42am On Apr 19, 2016
and so?
Re: Nigeria Learn: Senegal Gets Rid Of Its Senate To Save Money by nairalandbuzz(m): 10:51am On Apr 19, 2016
One thing you all need to understand is that... both lower and upper house that are doing check and balance are not competent enough let alone dissolving one chamber at a go..

my one cent...

For Presidential and Vice Posts: Minimum of Masters in any field + MBA.
For Governors: Minimum of Bsc + MBA
For Local Govt: Minimum of HND
For Council Chairmen: Minimum of OND
For Ministers: Minimum of PHD
For Senators and d likes : Minimum of MBA

These ppl must know what they are being sent to do na...
else, na rubbish anyone wey go there go dey do...

[size=15pt][b]Many guys are quoting me for this cos you are misunderstanding me... I aint talking about the past... now we are looking at the present future... Abraham Lincoln ruled in the past and the future we are looking at is technology and business driven... Things are evolving and I believe you should know that our rules should evolve with them as you all know you cant have stale rules in an evolving environment. It does not take morals alone... morals wont teach you how to run a country in a politicized or corrupt world please...

Most people would agree that institutions giving honorary degrees to folks alike have seen good traits in them with respect of the discipline before giving it out and such are there in the world today and are making impacts in the respective seats...

There is a general saying that out of everyone that passed through school, only a few percentage of them did schooling actually passed through...

Did you guys see the prime minister of Canada trending on Monday as he fully explained quantum computing to a group of fund raisers concerning a national project?

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=4ZBLSjF56S8

Guys, I believe we are young and would like you to reason with me... this country needs to move into greater heights and its not by depending on non-...

Anyways, all is well.[/b][/size]

55 Likes 7 Shares

Re: Nigeria Learn: Senegal Gets Rid Of Its Senate To Save Money by kabman: 10:56am On Apr 19, 2016
They saved 15 million and our own is 1 billion with low amount of bills to show for.

1 Like

Re: Nigeria Learn: Senegal Gets Rid Of Its Senate To Save Money by Nobody: 11:15am On Apr 19, 2016
Amazing decision....Saraki, Orji, Obi, Akpabio, Oduah, Dino, others would never allow this undecided
Re: Nigeria Learn: Senegal Gets Rid Of Its Senate To Save Money by nairalandbuzz(m): 11:18am On Apr 19, 2016
Keneking:
Amazing decision....Saraki, Orji, Obi, Akpabio, Oduah, Dino, others would never allow this undecided

It begins with you, I(Me), lalasticlala, seun and then everyone

3 Likes

Re: Nigeria Learn: Senegal Gets Rid Of Its Senate To Save Money by OlujobaSamuel: 12:06pm On Apr 19, 2016
nairalandbuzz:
One thing you all need to understand is that... both lower and upper house that are doing check and balance are not competent enough let alone dissolving one chamber at a go..

my one cent...

are you seriously serious? do you know how many prof, dr, msc holders we have in political post? what you wrote up there is wishful thinking, even in a military regime, you can't make such decree.
The current criteria for our elective post is good enough if we can get one of high morals and proven integrity.
eg, President:35years plus a minimum of SSCE or 10yrs working experience as a civil servant. If you can get your ssce at the age of 18year, then aspires to contest, citizens must be able to question you on what you have been doing for 17years, if you have no serious activity to engage in and they see you to be good enough to be elected, so be it.

15 Likes

Re: Nigeria Learn: Senegal Gets Rid Of Its Senate To Save Money by nairalandbuzz(m): 12:32pm On Apr 19, 2016
OlujobaSamuel:

are you seriously serious? do you know how many prof, dr, msc holders we have in political post? what you wrote up there is wishful thinking, even in a military regime, you can't make such decree.
The current criteria for our elective post is good enough if we can get one of high morals and proven integrity.
eg, President:35years plus a minimum of SSCE or 10yrs working experience as a civil servant. If you can get your ssce at the age of 18year, then aspires to contest, citizens must be able to question you on what you have been doing for 17years, if you have no serious activity to engage in and they see you to be good enough to be elected, so be it.

I hear you... Even with morals, they wont still be able to manage a country mind you! At this age and time, It takes a top business school MBA to manage a country successfully top notch...

5 Likes

Re: Nigeria Learn: Senegal Gets Rid Of Its Senate To Save Money by OlujobaSamuel: 1:16pm On Apr 19, 2016
nairalandbuzz:

I hear you... Even with morals, they wont still be able to manage a country mind you! At this age and time, It takes a top business school MBA to manage a country successfully top notch...

there is no research to back that up. if we are to use your assumption, then the best country in the world today should be run by Professors.
NB: the first graduate was never taught by a graduate.
Those running our Nnpc, cbn, njc are professionals, can you prove that their positive effect as at this day is significant in the lives of the populace?
Integrity according to my own definition is having steadfast capacity to carry out a responsibility without compromising value or ethics.
The definition above is not practically tied to academic certifications, however some school of thoughts might view otherwise.

37 Likes 1 Share

Re: Nigeria Learn: Senegal Gets Rid Of Its Senate To Save Money by anigbajumo(m): 6:34am On Apr 20, 2016

Actually is a good move but it wnt happen in Nigeria.Am not seeing their impact on Nigeria since all these years rather than massive looting nd amended the act that will allow them to loot our money legally.

The best thing that can happen is to slash their money from federation account to like 30% so that the being a senator wnt guarantee u an automatic multi millionaire but who will lead the fight.??

THE LEGISTLATURE
It is also known as parliament. Every country has its name for it, for example in nigiera, it is known as National Assembly

FUNCTIONS

i. its main function is law making
ii. it approves annual budget
iii. it give approval to nominees of chief executive
iv. ratification of treaty negotiated by the executive
v. it performs semi-judicial function in some countries
vi. it can carry out investigation on issue of public interest
vii. it performs enlightenment campaigns through its activities like debates.

How these has been changing the life of average Nigerian over the years??

Democracy whereby there is vacuum for rule of law is a cursed to average Nigerian nd joy to most of our political stakeholders,dividends of democracy that is for all Nigerian is only for some group of people calling themselves Lawmakers.

1 Like

Re: Nigeria Learn: Senegal Gets Rid Of Its Senate To Save Money by Sunnycliff(m): 6:34am On Apr 20, 2016
Try this in Nigeria and see what happens next

1 Like

Re: Nigeria Learn: Senegal Gets Rid Of Its Senate To Save Money by PassingShot(m): 6:34am On Apr 20, 2016
I seriously hope Nigeria an tow this same path.

1 Like

Re: Nigeria Learn: Senegal Gets Rid Of Its Senate To Save Money by Cruset(m): 6:35am On Apr 20, 2016
This can't happen in my beloved country...(Nigeria).

1 Like

Re: Nigeria Learn: Senegal Gets Rid Of Its Senate To Save Money by Fesomu(m): 6:35am On Apr 20, 2016
Just give buhari military power

5 Likes

Re: Nigeria Learn: Senegal Gets Rid Of Its Senate To Save Money by Rexphobia(m): 6:35am On Apr 20, 2016
Way to go
Re: Nigeria Learn: Senegal Gets Rid Of Its Senate To Save Money by Nobody: 6:36am On Apr 20, 2016
This can only happen in nigeria on the 31st day of february when pigs fly.

5 Likes 1 Share

Re: Nigeria Learn: Senegal Gets Rid Of Its Senate To Save Money by desmond2pk: 6:36am On Apr 20, 2016
The presidency should be done away with in Nigeria

4 Likes

Re: Nigeria Learn: Senegal Gets Rid Of Its Senate To Save Money by KAYNINI(m): 6:36am On Apr 20, 2016
The first should be banning travelling for the president aleast for 7months

while exgovernors are prevented from going to the Senate - i rather have them as LGA Chairmen

13 Likes 1 Share

Re: Nigeria Learn: Senegal Gets Rid Of Its Senate To Save Money by alienvirus: 6:37am On Apr 20, 2016
We so need to get rid of the Senate because of our multi-diversities.

Place all political holders on minimum wage and see how bad eggs will be auto-separated from the good ones.
Re: Nigeria Learn: Senegal Gets Rid Of Its Senate To Save Money by gbaskiboy: 6:37am On Apr 20, 2016
Make them con try am for naija, una go fear now.
Re: Nigeria Learn: Senegal Gets Rid Of Its Senate To Save Money by ERCROSS(m): 6:37am On Apr 20, 2016
The situation of things in this country will make u read some news of good things happening somewhere around the world and one spirit will be telling u on ur mind that " This is Nigeria, such things can never happen in my own country " I wonder if na evil spirit wey sabi lie dey talk am abi na spirit of God wey no dey lie "
I just wish they all board the same plane and crash up there so their remains are buried deep down d red sea like the pharaoh's army
Useless bunch of senators, both past and present

Parents send pikin go skool with hard earned money, instead make dem siddown, relax , dey reap fruit of labour, for where
some few idiots of Barnabas decent go just carry demselves put for inside one room dey share money and jobs meant for millions of people...
Na thunder go fire dem one by one

I no say e too early to dey yarn curse, but I no sure say dese people need prayer

2 Likes

Re: Nigeria Learn: Senegal Gets Rid Of Its Senate To Save Money by Soreza(m): 6:38am On Apr 20, 2016
OUR SENATORS HAVE THIER INTEREST AT HEART BEFORE NIGERIA'S INTEREST.
Re: Nigeria Learn: Senegal Gets Rid Of Its Senate To Save Money by ajoskele(m): 6:38am On Apr 20, 2016
Hmmmm

1 Like

Re: Nigeria Learn: Senegal Gets Rid Of Its Senate To Save Money by Sunnycliff(m): 6:38am On Apr 20, 2016
nairalandbuzz:

my one cent...

If the Northerners attack you for this eeh?
You don't no that to them it's not by certificate
If the zombies can proudly say a Nepa certificate holder is what they want, what else is the need of all these additional degrees you earlier stated??
Good morning!

5 Likes

Re: Nigeria Learn: Senegal Gets Rid Of Its Senate To Save Money by david22uu(m): 6:39am On Apr 20, 2016
V good...good. Nigeria should do the same

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (Reply)

Udom Emmanuel Remains My Governor And A Godfather To My Children, Says Akpabio / IPOB Mobilizing To Humiliate Buhari In U.S - Northern Group Raises Alarm / 377 Wards’ Chairmen Endorse Sanwo-olu, Ambode, Others To Face Direct Primary

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 58
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.