Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,152,024 members, 7,814,506 topics. Date: Wednesday, 01 May 2024 at 02:00 PM

10 Things You MUST Stop Doing Or DELETE 4rm Ur Facebook Profile 2 Protect Ur Acc - Phones - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Science/Technology / Phones / 10 Things You MUST Stop Doing Or DELETE 4rm Ur Facebook Profile 2 Protect Ur Acc (2855 Views)

New Data Charges: 10 Things I Will Start Doing / Never Include Where You Work On Your Facebook Profile / 10 Things You Should Stop Doing On Social Media (2) (3) (4)

(1) (Reply) (Go Down)

10 Things You MUST Stop Doing Or DELETE 4rm Ur Facebook Profile 2 Protect Ur Acc by callydon(m): 2:36pm On Jun 30, 2016
Facebook 's latest announcement has left many confused and worried about their privacy - if you're one of them here's what you should do.
The social media site said this week it is going to start pushing ads to every single person who uses third-party sites signed up to its advertising scheme.

As Facebook uses your information and how you act - whether you are signed up to the site or not - you might want to revise what information you are sharing with people.

It isn't just your profile that will need amending, but here are a few ways you can clean it up to get started and protect your privacy.

See the things you need to stop doing now:

1. Phone number:
Don't put your number on your Facebook page - even when it prompts you. If if you add it and keep it hidden, you'll still get the prompts.

Plus, you know, stalkers.

2. Birthday:
I know you guys will start asking, "but how will my friends it's my birthday". The truth is that your real friends will know when it's your birthday.
Also your birthday is part of the puzzle scammers need to access your personal details and bank account.
Keep it off your Facebook - or risk losing your money once they get your name (easy peasy) and address.

3. Keep it to real friends:
Robin Dunbar, an Oxford psychology professor, has said humans can maintain about 150 stable relationships at once.
He looked at 3,375 Facebook users, he found out of their Facebook friends, 4.1 were seen as dependable, and 13.6 showed sympathy during an “emotional crisis.”

Time to clear out that Facebook and keep it to the people you know - and trust.

4. Relationship status:
Once upon a time, no relationship was real until it was confirmed on Facebook, but these days it's better to keep that loving feeling to yourself.
People have already cottoned on to how adverts appear suddenly promoting wedding dresses and venues as soon as the engagement post goes up on the social media site.

Just save it for your friends.

5. Credit card details:
I don't think there's even any need to explain why you need to keep you credit card details out of facebook.

6. Your boss:
This should be fairly obvious, but having your manager or boss on Facebook has various pitfalls. Like them seeing your nights out, or any interactions, rants, or that excuse you made for not going to work for three days.
It's fine to relax and have a bit of fun, but when all your workmates are watching it's probably best to minimise the embarrassment and keep it fairly clean.

There's been many a tale of interviews going horribly wrong after a CEO or interviewer takes a look at the candidates profile.

7. Stop tagging your location:
Whenever you tag your location you're giving away a lot of information. Whether you're in your house, where you live, your kids school, etc. Just don't share this particular information.

8. Photographs of your children or young family:
There's many reasons for this, but the most obvious are:
a) they aren't consenting, and
b) your photos can often be seen by friends and then friends of their friends

Think about who you want to have access to your photos.

9. Where your children go to school:
It just sends up a big flag as to what your children are doing, where they are and when. Keep it private and don't post this.

10. Location services
I call this "The Trojan Horse" of the internet. With the accuracy of GPS these days, so much information is being given out by this singular act.
For Android or iPhone users, switch off your location settings. Most of us access Facebook via our phone, which means you could be letting everyone know your location.
Best to keep it quiet. Switch it off.

Source: http://www.oddytech.com.ng/2016/06/10-things-you-might-want-to-stop-doing.html

2 Likes 4 Shares

Re: 10 Things You MUST Stop Doing Or DELETE 4rm Ur Facebook Profile 2 Protect Ur Acc by nkenu(m): 2:43pm On Jun 30, 2016
You are very correct !!!
Re: 10 Things You MUST Stop Doing Or DELETE 4rm Ur Facebook Profile 2 Protect Ur Acc by cynthia123(f): 2:46pm On Jun 30, 2016
Thanks for the enlightenment
Re: 10 Things You MUST Stop Doing Or DELETE 4rm Ur Facebook Profile 2 Protect Ur Acc by AbbieGee1(f): 2:47pm On Jun 30, 2016
Nice
Re: 10 Things You MUST Stop Doing Or DELETE 4rm Ur Facebook Profile 2 Protect Ur Acc by Drniyi4u(m): 5:37am On Jul 01, 2016
Really nice
Re: 10 Things You MUST Stop Doing Or DELETE 4rm Ur Facebook Profile 2 Protect Ur Acc by nobsalis: 6:15am On Jul 01, 2016
Facebook MAKA why?
anyways I blame Fayose for this.

Re: 10 Things You MUST Stop Doing Or DELETE 4rm Ur Facebook Profile 2 Protect Ur Acc by callydon(m): 7:09pm On Jul 03, 2016
lalasticlala, have you seen this list? shouldn't it be at d home page?
Re: 10 Things You MUST Stop Doing Or DELETE 4rm Ur Facebook Profile 2 Protect Ur Acc by callydon(m): 7:10pm On Jul 03, 2016
lalasticlala, have you seen this list? shouldn't it be at d home page?
Re: 10 Things You MUST Stop Doing Or DELETE 4rm Ur Facebook Profile 2 Protect Ur Acc by lalasticlala(m): 9:08pm On Jul 03, 2016
callydon:
lalasticlala, have you seen this list?
shouldn't it be at d home page?

Just saw it now . But it's a plagiarized article

http://www.mirror.co.uk/tech/11-things-you-might-want-8083093

2 Likes

Re: 10 Things You MUST Stop Doing Or DELETE 4rm Ur Facebook Profile 2 Protect Ur Acc by Mykelpato(m): 10:06pm On Jul 03, 2016
undecided undecided
Re: 10 Things You MUST Stop Doing Or DELETE 4rm Ur Facebook Profile 2 Protect Ur Acc by Nobody: 10:32pm On Jul 03, 2016
Not applicable to me.
Re: 10 Things You MUST Stop Doing Or DELETE 4rm Ur Facebook Profile 2 Protect Ur Acc by oluwaskulboy(m): 10:50pm On Jul 03, 2016
HOW TO SEE WHO VIEWED YOUR FACEBOOK PROFILE THE MOST
http://techzone.com.ng/2016/06/27/see-viewed-facebook-profile/
Re: 10 Things You MUST Stop Doing Or DELETE 4rm Ur Facebook Profile 2 Protect Ur Acc by mabeni(m): 2:32am On Jul 04, 2016
Op is absolutely correct
Re: 10 Things You MUST Stop Doing Or DELETE 4rm Ur Facebook Profile 2 Protect Ur Acc by milky3(f): 4:46am On Jul 04, 2016
some of the list are hit while some are miss. it better to add or accept people u know won't mess up ur page
Re: 10 Things You MUST Stop Doing Or DELETE 4rm Ur Facebook Profile 2 Protect Ur Acc by Nobody: 4:46am On Jul 04, 2016
Op, yhu is correct.

4 Likes 1 Share

Re: 10 Things You MUST Stop Doing Or DELETE 4rm Ur Facebook Profile 2 Protect Ur Acc by allytinted: 5:00am On Jul 04, 2016
nice info
Re: 10 Things You MUST Stop Doing Or DELETE 4rm Ur Facebook Profile 2 Protect Ur Acc by bablononi(m): 5:44am On Jul 04, 2016
I have stopped almost i guess. I saw this coming way back
Re: 10 Things You MUST Stop Doing Or DELETE 4rm Ur Facebook Profile 2 Protect Ur Acc by prof800(m): 6:21am On Jul 04, 2016
Hehehe..grin Kuku CLOSE your Facebook account or DELETE it kwanu.
Re: 10 Things You MUST Stop Doing Or DELETE 4rm Ur Facebook Profile 2 Protect Ur Acc by lmm4real: 6:30am On Jul 04, 2016
Ok I hear, you will be amazed the amount of information some people shear on line. Especially girls.
Re: 10 Things You MUST Stop Doing Or DELETE 4rm Ur Facebook Profile 2 Protect Ur Acc by prodiG(m): 7:08am On Jul 04, 2016
nice
Re: 10 Things You MUST Stop Doing Or DELETE 4rm Ur Facebook Profile 2 Protect Ur Acc by Adesiji77: 7:11am On Jul 04, 2016
Noted, thanks
Re: 10 Things You MUST Stop Doing Or DELETE 4rm Ur Facebook Profile 2 Protect Ur Acc by Nbote(m): 7:23am On Jul 04, 2016
We Africans especially Nigerians don't have much to worry about for now though. Na Oyibo ppl wey everything about them and their life is practically done online. All we do on social media here is live fake lives and stalk others..
Re: 10 Things You MUST Stop Doing Or DELETE 4rm Ur Facebook Profile 2 Protect Ur Acc by Roon9(m): 7:54am On Jul 04, 2016
Aha! Baba, so from my birthday hackers can access what? Plsss, Shay na NSA dem be ni?

(1) (Reply)

Can I Trust Club Konnect / Which Flagship Phone Can I Buy With A 100k Budget / Budget Phones On Glo Band 28

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 26
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.