Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,153,502 members, 7,819,824 topics. Date: Tuesday, 07 May 2024 at 01:23 AM

My First Day As A Teacher... - Education - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Education / My First Day As A Teacher... (520 Views)

Picture Of A Teacher With Life Jacket While The Pupils Are Left Unprotected / Picture Of A Teacher Presenting A Pant To A Student As A Prize / A Teacher Beats And Wounds A Pupil (photos) (2) (3) (4)

(1) (Reply)

My First Day As A Teacher... by oakleighedu: 8:49pm On Jun 30, 2016
It was my first day as a teacher! It happened so many years ago. But how can I possibly forget how it felt? I had been training for the past year doing my PGCE, had just passed and gotten my Qualified Teacher Status. I remember siting my QTS test and feeling a little nervous. I recall holding my breath and waiting for my test result to flash across the screen. However, nothing whatsoever, prepared me for this moment when I would face 30 very lively Year 5 boys and girls, and attempt to teach my very first lesson as a teacher! What do I say? How do I get through the day? How do I keep them enthused throughout the day? How do I manage my class? What if they do not listen to me? What if I make a mistake and teach them the wrong thing? I thought I had it all planned, right then, all of my meticulous planning just flew out of my head and I was blank! As I stood in front of my whiteboard, intermittently watching the clock ticking its way to 8.45am, I remembered I planned to write the date on the board. So I reached for a marker and started to write in my very best cursive style. I found that incredibly therapeutic until I took a step back and glanced at the pen in my hand, then realised…it was a permanent marker! Could this day get any worse?

Fast forward four years on, as I packed up my belongings to leave that class, to leave that school, on to a role of greater responsibility, the faded marks of that very first date was still there on the board, to remind me of how far I had come as a teacher. I had now learnt that teaching is more than just been prepared, it is a relationship with your pupils. I had grown in confidence. I had learnt to know my pupils and learnt how to commit myself to their progress and development. I had learnt that inspirational teachers create inspirational learners. I had learnt to teach from the heart and to carry the children with me every day. Also, I learnt that I will always take books home to mark and would always spend my term weekends planning lessons. Most importantly of all, I had now learnt that children learnt more from who I was than from what I taught!

http://www.oakleigheducation.com/

1 Like

(1) (Reply)

2016/2017 Nae Post Graduate Scholarship Test Postponed / Nigerian Novelist, Chika Unigwe Selected As Judge For Man Booker Prize / New Jam

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 10
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.