Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,153,141 members, 7,818,432 topics. Date: Sunday, 05 May 2024 at 03:35 PM

GaniLivesOn.org - Comments - Webmasters - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Science/Technology / Webmasters / GaniLivesOn.org - Comments (1043 Views)

PROMO!!! .com, .net, .biz, .org Domain Names For N159 On Namecheap.com / How Can I Buy A . Org Domain Name In Nigeria (2) (3) (4)

(1) (Reply) (Go Down)

GaniLivesOn.org - Comments by Afam(m): 1:33pm On Sep 06, 2009
Hello people,

Just a quick one. While commenting on a thread about Gani's death someone wondered if there was a way to sign a condolence register and I thought of an online condolence register and decided to setup one.

After 5 hours or work I came up with the following website that will be dedicated to Late Gani.

Considering what the man stood for in life somehow I have this feeling that the 5 hours spent on developing this site from registering the domain name to database and programming involved was well worth it.

Who says you cannot use your skills to provide services without being paid for it.

This is not a commercial project and I hope people get to use the website to celebrate him.

Any comments on adding or updating any features are welcome.

www.ganiliveson.org
Re: GaniLivesOn.org - Comments by Cactus(m): 2:52pm On Sep 06, 2009
Hopefully this is a trend that may continue.

No need for efezi just keep is simple straight to the point.

Would suggest making the breadcrumbs bigger
Putting a divider between the left and right. Or just set your border-right: 1px #000 solid or dotted etc. for yout left side

Hm I wont touch much
Re: GaniLivesOn.org - Comments by Afam(m): 3:42pm On Sep 06, 2009
Cactus:

Would suggest making the breadcrumbs bigger
Putting a divider between the left and right. Or just set your border-right: 1px #000 solid or dotted etc. for yout left side

Hm I wont touch much

Thanks. Noted. Done.
Re: GaniLivesOn.org - Comments by zmurda(m): 3:57pm On Sep 06, 2009
Nice job mate
Re: GaniLivesOn.org - Comments by smartsoft(m): 6:45pm On Sep 06, 2009
9ice
Re: GaniLivesOn.org - Comments by yawatide(f): 7:04pm On Sep 06, 2009
that's what the web is about - instant info. well done.

What would even be cooler is if you could let the deceased's family aware of this site so they can see the register themselves.

Thanks for this and once again, well done.
Re: GaniLivesOn.org - Comments by inf8nity(m): 7:13pm On Sep 06, 2009
Afam great idea quick execution! I like the simplicity and definitely the info is well organized. I think he is smiling wherever he is.
Re: GaniLivesOn.org - Comments by flexinet: 9:11pm On Sep 06, 2009
Good concept, Great Idea, Keep it up, my guy
Re: GaniLivesOn.org - Comments by yawatide(f): 4:13am On Sep 07, 2009
Afam:

I have informed over 1000 of my (virtual) friends. Should your logs come up with a lot of hits from a certain locale, you know y cool
Re: GaniLivesOn.org - Comments by Afam(m): 7:49am On Sep 07, 2009
Thanks for all the comments. I only hope that we can use our skills, knowledge and experience to better the society or provide services that will be useful to all.
Re: GaniLivesOn.org - Comments by remoranger(m): 1:36pm On Sep 07, 2009
I AM IMPRESSED with the innovation

i tot i was the only one that used addt.
Re: GaniLivesOn.org - Comments by biggjoe(m): 1:47pm On Sep 07, 2009
Thats a great gesture from you Afam.

Gani's family or even Lagos govt. would love that idea so much, is there not a way of letting know about it?

---------------------------------------------------------------------
Looks like you use DW like myself.
Re: GaniLivesOn.org - Comments by Afam(m): 3:24pm On Sep 07, 2009
biggjoe:

Thats a great gesture from you Afam.

Gani's family or even Lagos govt. would love that idea so much, is there not a way of letting know about it?

---------------------------------------------------------------------
Looks like you use DW like myself.

Thanks. Yes, I use DW when the task is simpler and write custom code when it is not.

remoranger:

I AM IMPRESSED with the innovation

i tot i was the only one that used addt.

Thanks. ADDT unfortunately won't be getting future updates by Adobe. This is one bad thing about selling your business to another company as the passion and vision of the business may just disappear.
Re: GaniLivesOn.org - Comments by remoranger(m): 7:58pm On Sep 07, 2009
@afam

I concur. Adobe messed up big time. prolly they would come up with sumtin better. last i heard they want to move on to CMS.
Re: GaniLivesOn.org - Comments by bug24(m): 8:47am On Sep 08, 2009
gUD WORK aFAM, ur head over correct. am signing the reg right away.
Re: GaniLivesOn.org - Comments by snapshot: 9:33am On Sep 09, 2009
i just signed Gani's condolence register,i don't think i could have done that if the register was not online.All credit to you Afam.keep the good work going bro,make God bless your head.
Re: GaniLivesOn.org - Comments by yawatide(f): 10:03am On Sep 09, 2009
i don't think i could have done that if the register was not online.

This is the whole essence of the web - convenience.

Again, it would be nice if the Gani Family had access to this.
Re: GaniLivesOn.org - Comments by Afam(m): 10:23am On Sep 09, 2009
yawa-ti-de:

This is the whole essence of the web - convenience.

Again, it would be nice if the Gani Family had access to this.

I sent the website address to some of the media houses but I doubt if any published it thus far since the day the website was setup.

I sent the same website in the body of comments I wrote on www.234next.com and www.saharareporters.com on articles/news on late Gani but none of the comments were displayed.

Obviously, these guys may feel that because they are not the initiators of the project they would not like to publish even though the project is not a commercial based one but a freewill gesture to celebrate a worthy Nigerian.

However, after reading this last comment I searched for contact address of his chambers and called a GSM line I saw there. Someone picked up the phone and I told the person about this website that has been on since Saturday where people can post news, photos and sign condolence register.

The person stated they were having a mass for him at the court and tried to copy down the website address, thanked me for the gesture and promised to inform those that needs to know about the website.

Honestly, the day Nigerians will have access to relevant information that is free from unnecessary selfish controls and politics is the day things will begin to get better in this country.

Even on the internet people control and filter out genuine, useful and authentic information for their selfish ends.

Sad scenario here.
Re: GaniLivesOn.org - Comments by yawatide(f): 10:54am On Sep 09, 2009
However, after reading this last comment I searched for contact address of his chambers and called a GSM line I saw there. Someone picked up the phone and I told the person about this website that has been on since Saturday where people can post news, photos and sign condolence register.

This is great man. If na for some other countries, you would be on CNN and all the other news outlets by now. Consequently, your site would have probably received so many hits that the server would crash. Oh well, small small cool
Re: GaniLivesOn.org - Comments by quadrillio(m): 1:32pm On Sep 09, 2009
nice job Afam,

am making it my facebook & yahoo status immediately for all to see.

hope am allowed oooo LOL.

SAFE
Re: GaniLivesOn.org - Comments by Afam(m): 5:15pm On Sep 09, 2009
quadrillio:

nice job Afam,

am making it my facebook & yahoo status immediately for all to see.

hope am allowed oooo LOL.

SAFE

No wahala. Insurance cover you. Take care.
Re: GaniLivesOn.org - Comments by lekywhite(m): 2:15pm On Sep 10, 2009
A great job you have done. God will reward you for this and you will never be forgotten in history.
Re: GaniLivesOn.org - Comments by yawatide(f): 2:43pm On Sep 10, 2009
Afam,

Is it possible to make the photo gallery more interactive by either using a javascript lib or on the pop up, adding "next" and "previous" buttons. Though I would personally go for the latter, either way, I think better interactivity will be something that site visitors would surely appreciate.

In other news, I did a google for your site and though it didn't come up, I noticed that it was referenced at ttp://nigeriavillagesquare.com - by you cool

Finally, I noticed that you don't have any keywords, description, and the site isn't registered with google webmasters and analytics. Though probably late in the game, all these would surely help in helping the site rank highly. The latter in particular would help you with data gathering would you could further use to sell the site (where hits came from, how long people were on the site, etc).

Thanks.
Re: GaniLivesOn.org - Comments by Afam(m): 4:45pm On Sep 10, 2009
yawa-ti-de:

Afam,

Is it possible to make the photo gallery more interactive by either using a javascript lib or on the pop up, adding "next" and "previous" buttons. Though I would personally go for the latter, either way, I think better interactivity will be something that site visitors would surely appreciate.

In other news, I did a google for your site and though it didn't come up, I noticed that it was referenced at ttp://nigeriavillagesquare.com - by you cool

Finally, I noticed that you don't have any keywords, description, and the site isn't registered with google webmasters and analytics. Though probably late in the game, all these would surely help in helping the site rank highly. The latter in particular would help you with data gathering would you could further use to sell the site (where hits came from, how long people were on the site, etc).

Thanks.

Thanks.

However, when it comes to google I have a very weird position on google that is why I don't do adwords, adsense, metadata stuff, keywords etc.

Not sure you would want to read my view on google especially as many website owners have abandoned the important task of making their websites useful for the customers and instead are busy chasing google around and trying to please google while forgetting that google is a business entity implementing strategies and features to help its own business.

On the gallery stuff, I may most likely add the navigation links on the pop up once I am less busy. I have been writing codes all day.
Re: GaniLivesOn.org - Comments by Afam(m): 5:40pm On Sep 10, 2009
@yawatide,

Just added the photo navigation stuff on the photo page.

My wrists dey pain me small, have been extremely busy since morning.

Cooking something, hope the thing go don by tomorrow.

Thanks.
Re: GaniLivesOn.org - Comments by yawatide(f): 6:05pm On Sep 10, 2009
Gooood smiley

Now, can I make your wrists hurt a lil more by asking that you make the navigation text larger and bolder (I couldn't spot it at first) and move it to the bottom? Or, how about changing the text links to images?

No kill me o, he he. I want this thing to be a full blown app by the time all is said and done tongue

(1) (Reply)

If You Can Design This Website, Contact Me Immediately / Most Popular Browsers And Operating Systems On Nigerian Times / Logo And Mobile Website

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 41
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.