Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,153,298 members, 7,819,006 topics. Date: Monday, 06 May 2024 at 09:54 AM

The Epicurean Argument On Evil And God - Religion - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Religion / The Epicurean Argument On Evil And God (2224 Views)

Atheism Is A False Belief, Evil And Dogmatic . Why Is It Being Propagated ? / A Simple Rebuttal To One Very Common Argument Made By Atheists . / What if Hell, Jesus and God Never Existed, will you regret being a Christian? (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (Reply) (Go Down)

The Epicurean Argument On Evil And God by johnydon22(m): 8:30pm On Jul 01, 2016
Is there an omnibenevolent, omniscient and omnipotent God - should they then be evil?

Is God willing to take away evil but unable to ; then he is not omnipotent then the above mentioned attributes does not hold sway and such a God doesn't exist.

Is God able to take away evil but unwilling; then he is not benevolent

Is God both unable and unwilling; then he is neither benevolent or omnipotent

Is God both able and willing to take away evil? from whence then comes evil?

An Omnibenevolent God would want to take away evil, an omniscient God would know every possible way evil can enter into the cosmos, an omnipotent God is fully capable of solving these possible ways; therefore since there is such a thing considered as 'evil' such a God that is Omnibenevolent, Omniscient and Omnipotent cannot exist.

Since the existence of evil is variance with the existence of such a God

If there is a perfect God, able and willing to create a perfect world and wants you to be in it, you should have been there already, there wouldn't be any need for a gross cruel test result which supposedly already known.

Assuming prayers worked, why exactly would you need to plead with a benevolent God to convince him to help you?

Why would you need to remind an omniscient God to help you?

Is God both omnibenevolent , omniscient and omnipotent, then Prayer is irrelevant, is prayer relevant then such a God is neither omnibenevolent, omniscient and omnipotent.

An omnibenevolent, omniscient and omnipotent God who still require prayer to function is paradoxical and cannot exist.

That is the paradox of All Good, all willing, all powerful, all loving deity presiding over an imperfect dangerous cosmos.

12 Likes 7 Shares

Re: The Epicurean Argument On Evil And God by Nobody: 8:31pm On Jul 01, 2016
undecidedundecidedundecidedundecidedundecidedundecidedundecidedundecidedundecidedundecidedundecidedundecidedundecidedundecided
Re: The Epicurean Argument On Evil And God by Nobody: 8:53pm On Jul 01, 2016
Ok
Re: The Epicurean Argument On Evil And God by Blaqsmith(m): 8:57pm On Jul 01, 2016
Unfortunately Johnny, people won't see reason with all the above sincere submissions.

They would rather die of their beliefs which have no modicum of reason and a pinch of evidence.

I tried making some religious explanations to some dudes in my hostel today and they were about to become hostile with me. They said I am affecting their beliefs and faith and I should be cautioned. I bled inside seeing how much humanity has suffered. Inside of me, I cursed the day the white missionary came to sell to us what we have no knowledge of, but then, I had to take a walk from them to prevent a situation where one will need a lawyer and another a doctor.

Like seriously, why would you hurt anyone because of your belief which has failed all scientific test to be considered true?
Shouldn't we respect humanity more than we respect beliefs?
#Sigh

9 Likes 6 Shares

Re: The Epicurean Argument On Evil And God by johnydon22(m): 9:27pm On Jul 01, 2016
Blaqsmith:
Unfortunately Johnny, people won't see reason with all the above sincere submissions.

They would rather die of their beliefs which have no modicum of reason and a pinch of evidence.

I tried making some religious explanations to some dudes in my hostel today and they were about to become hostile with me. They said I am affecting their beliefs and faith and I should be cautioned. I bled inside seeing how much humanity has suffered. Inside of me, I cursed the day the white missionary came to sell to us what we have no knowledge of, but then, I had to take a walk from them to prevent a situation where one will need a lawyer and another a doctor.

Like seriously, why would you hurt anyone because of your belief which has failed all scientific test to be considered true?
#Sigh

It takes emotions to clutch on to subjective ideas. religion is one that thrives on deep emotions on the part of the poor masses, that is why it also induces a kinda of Stockholm syndrome on them -they would be abused by religious ideas but still will cling and defend it.

Such hostilities are expected as you have tickled one of the most emotional part of them, i advice you be more subtle in dealing with that.

I once had a discussion with one of colleagues at the office, i didn't outrightly dismiss his beliefs but the discussion so quaked his faith that he still complains bitterly about it till this day.

5 Likes 2 Shares

Re: The Epicurean Argument On Evil And God by Nobody: 9:30pm On Jul 01, 2016
@OP

You have some valid points. Foremost, I am a theistic humanist - I believe in the existence of a sole creator who is "just." However, He neither need human's praises nor prayers, having given us everything we need to exist and excel independent of Him - a gift of freewill in particular can never put quantified.

Good and bad are the outcomes of our actions/inaction/decisions since we already have freedom. Therefore, bad in particular (evil/devil) is a result of our bad choice or action, this simply nullifies any thought of devil been a deity in existence independently.

The creator that goes by whatever name one may choose to call Him is one and I believe that we human beings are imperfect manifestation of a perfect Him.

The so called holy books, thou great books to some extent and written by some great medieval men, but He never inspired any of the books and non is His standard. ... I mean, a Christian faith proponent cannot tell me that the same biblical god that is assumed to be unchangeable inspired a supposed holy book that has new and old testaments with different standards.

Yes, someone like Jesus, Mohamed and their ilks, which different religious faith proponents reveres should be respected - at least for the sole reason that it is not a easily for someone either living or dead to have enormous followers as they do. But they are no gods.

Left for me, I would say they world should put an end to organized religion. I wish every other person there can uphold the philosophical principle of altruism.

1 Like

Re: The Epicurean Argument On Evil And God by johnydon22(m): 9:44pm On Jul 01, 2016
Empero1:
@OP

Valid points you have. Foremost, I am a humanist theist - I believe in the existence of a sole creator who is "just." However, he neither need human's praises nor prayers, having given us everything we need to exist and excel independent of Him - a gift of freewill in particular can never put quantified.

Good and bad are the outcomes of our actions/inaction/decisions since we already have freedom. Therefore, bad in particular (evil/devil) is a result of our bad choice or action, this simply nullifies any thought of devil been a deity in existence independently.

The creator that goes by whatever name one may choose to call Him is one and I believe that we human beings are imperfect manifestation of a perfect Him.

The so called holy books, thou great books to some extent and written by some great medieval men, but He never inspired any of the books and non is His standard. ... I mean, a Christian faith proponent cannot tell me that the same biblical god that is assumed to be unchangeable inspired a supposed holy book that has new and old testaments with different standards.

Yes, someone like Jesus, Mohamed and their ilks, which different religious faith proponents reveres should be respected - at least for the sole reason that it is not a easily for someone either living or dead to have enormous followers as they do. But they are no gods.

Left for me, I would say they world should put an end to organized religion. I wish every other person there can uphold the philosophical principle of altruism.

This is more so deism not theism, and 'evil' as the argument presented takes the tilt of natural ills.

Humans attribute things that are of negative effect on our survival as evil and so this is a universe that is particularly hostile to life.

Earth quakes - are regarded natural evil, and for one to assert a deity who is responsible for everything in nature then how can such evil as earth quake be as a direct design from a deity defined to be omnipotent, omniscient and benevolent?

Deism always presents an argument with this particular 'evil' argument to assert an indifferent and uninterested deity.

Thus goes the deistic argument

'Is God in control of the cosmos, if by definition God is all good and all powerful then there cannot be hostility and imperfection in the cosmos since there are variance with the definition of God.

Is God then in control of some part then it begs the question why then is he caring for this and not this- speaks partiality also variance with the definition.

For so far there is imperfection and evil in the cosmos therefore there cannot be an all good, all loving, all powerful and all knowing God in charge of the cosmos or controlling it.

For there to be, then such a God cannot be all loving and all good since it is paradoxical to the nature of things therefore to retain the characteristics of God - God then must not be interfering or controlling any part of nature"

That is the sole argument why there is Deism [a belief in God that does not interfere with nature or human dealings]

1 Like 1 Share

Re: The Epicurean Argument On Evil And God by Nobody: 10:14pm On Jul 01, 2016
johnydon22:

This is more so deism not theism, and 'evil' as the argument presented takes the tilt of natural ills.

Humans attribute things that are of negative effect on our survival as evil and so this is a universe that is particularly hostile to life.

Earth quakes - are regarded natural evil, and for one to assert a deity who is responsible for everything in nature then how can such evil as earth quake be as a direct design from a deity defined to be omnipotent, omniscient and benevolent?

Deism always presents an argument with this particular 'evil' argument to assert an indifferent and uninterested deity.

Thus goes the deistic argument

'Is God in control of the cosmos, if by definition God is all good and all powerful then there cannot be hostility and imperfection in the cosmos since there are variance with the definition of God.

Is God then in control of some part then it begs the question why then is he caring for this and not this- speaks partiality also variance with the definition.

For so far there is imperfection and evil in the cosmos therefore there cannot be an all good, all loving, all powerful and all knowing God in charge of the cosmos or controlling it.

For there to be, then such a God cannot be all loving and all good since it is paradoxical to the nature of things therefore to retain the characteristics of God - God then must not be interfering or controlling any part of nature"

That is the sole argument why there is Deism [a belief in God that does not interfere with nature or human dealings]

I have the exclusive right to defined my worldview, no apologies. Once more, I say I am a theistic humanist not a deist as you ascribed to me. Meanwhile, an occurrence like earthquake can never nullify the perfect posture of the creator, because such an occurrence always have an undertone direct or indirect human hands in them... example, in Japan where earthquake occurs regularly, should learn how not to occupy that particular enclaves where that happens... remember it does not happen in the whole on Japan, because if otherwise they would all be wiped out of the source of earth by now.

In summary, I maintain my stance that there is a sole creator and that there is not such deity as a devil, instead bad and good are creations of human beings since there is a gift of freewill for all. In the other hand, I say that the creator is just, so this explains while He does not need our praises or prayers, as such cannot be hold accountable for any bad occurrence. It is time we human beings start to look after one another and also start to take charge of our lives and of course assumes responsibility of our actions and inaction.

1 Like

Re: The Epicurean Argument On Evil And God by johnydon22(m): 11:07pm On Jul 01, 2016
Empero1:

I have the exclusive right to defined my worldview, no apologies. Once more, I say I am a theistic humanist not a deist as you ascribed to me. Meanwhile, an occurrence like earthquake can never nullify the perfect posture of the creator, because such an occurrence always have an undertone direct or indirect human hands in them... example, in Japan where earthquake occurs regularly, should learn how not to occupy that particular enclaves where that happens... remember it does not happen in the whole on Japan, because if otherwise they would all be wiped out of the source of earth by now.

In summary, I maintain my stance that there is a sole creator and that there is not such deity as a devil, instead bad and good are creations of human beings since there is a gift of freewill for all. In the other hand, I say that the creator is just, so this explains while He does not need our praises or prayers, as such cannot be hold accountable for any bad occurrence. It is time we human beings start to look after one another and also start to take charge of our lives and of course assumes responsibility of our actions and inaction.

Earth quakes are as a result of tectonic plate movement and in no way the fault of the Japanese, volcanic eruptions are no fault of the victims of it's mayhem.

Blaming victims for the incompetence in perfection of a supposed all good loving and powerful creator who orchestrated an imperfect occurrence is the lowest of lows i can think of.

If there is such a deity in charge of nature then it is either malevolent, incompetent, unwilling to make a perfect world or unable.

3 Likes 1 Share

Re: The Epicurean Argument On Evil And God by deeoh(m): 11:20pm On Jul 01, 2016
Blaqsmith:

#Sigh
let say I believe your friend philosophical assertion then what? would that give me a better life... at times religion is the only way most people in here deal with their emotional prob. how many u think can afford a shrink. we all do some creative stuff in order to have a better 'stay' on this earth, one of it, to many, is the idea of God. so beat it!

2 Likes

Re: The Epicurean Argument On Evil And God by Touchnot01: 1:41am On Jul 02, 2016
deeoh:

let say I believe your friend philosophical assertion then what? would that give me a better life... at times religion is the only way most people in here deal with their emotional prob. how many u think can afford a shrink. we all do some creative stuff in order to have a better 'stay' on this earth, one of it, to many, is the idea of God. so beat it!
Exactly!!! Somehow they think the lives of humans will be better without religion. Other irreligious countries may be doing fine but irreligion is not atheism. Many irreligious people are spiritual and believe in a Creator. Hardly can one mention an atheist country (not irreligious ones) that has not been sick in their pursue for dominance. We can also see atheists countries such as north korea. History has proven that suppression of religious freedom has to retain brutality. These atheists are no different, the level at which they dedicate their lives to God and religion is enough proof that they would do anything to make it go away.

Besides, atheism has done absolutely nothing for humanity. The progress of science and technology has been largely due to religious minds. I then wonder where they got this craze to preach that getting people to be atheists means a better society. Billions of people find meaning with God, this fact disturbs atheists. Instead of spending their time to help humanity, they prefer to invest heavily in criticizing christians. At least we know that no one spends this much time on a lie.

1 Like

Re: The Epicurean Argument On Evil And God by ElDaIllest(m): 2:46pm On Jul 02, 2016
johnydon22:
Is there an omnibenevolent, omniscient and omnipotent God - should they then be evil?

Is God willing to take away evil but unable to ; then he is not omnipotent then the above mentioned attributes does not hold sway and such a God doesn't exist.

Is God able to take away evil but unwilling; then he is not benevolent

Is God both unable and unwilling; then he is neither benevolent or omnipotent

Is God both able and willing to take away evil? from whence then comes evil?

An Omnibenevolent God would want to take away evil, an omniscient God would know every possible way evil can enter into the cosmos, an omnipotent God is fully capable of solving these possible ways; therefore since there is such a thing considered as 'evil' such a God that is Omnibenevolent, Omniscient and Omnipotent cannot exist.

Since the existence of evil is variance with the existence of such a God

If there is a perfect God, able and willing to create a perfect world and wants you to be in it, you should have been there already, there wouldn't be any need for a gross cruel test result which supposedly already known.

Assuming prayers worked, why exactly would you need to plead with a benevolent God to convince him to help you?

Why would you need to remind an omniscient God to help you?

Is God both omnibenevolent , omniscient and omnipotent, then Prayer is irrelevant, is prayer relevant then such a God is neither omnibenevolent, omniscient and omnipotent.

An omnibenevolent, omniscient and omnipotent God who still require prayer to function is paradoxical and cannot exist.

That is the paradox of All Good, all willing, all powerful, all loving deity presiding over an imperfect dangerous cosmos.
Lol
Re: The Epicurean Argument On Evil And God by johnydon22(m): 4:18pm On Jul 02, 2016
deeoh:

Religious or irreligious anybody can live a very good and fruitful life, that is an independent path.

Of course you are right, mostly people tend to derive emotional succor from religious beliefs, its just like a drug - people would rather take the fantasy that makes you all cozy and warm instead of the hard cold truth.

I'd say the truth should be placed above what feels good and it even makes you stronger.

But it's not the intent of this thread to rid people of their religiosity, it's just a scrutinization of a human idea which i do believe is healthy.

every idea should be open to discussion, scrutiny and criticism.

Cc. Seun, teempakguy, SonOfLucifer

1 Like 1 Share

Re: The Epicurean Argument On Evil And God by johnydon22(m): 4:21pm On Jul 02, 2016
ElDaIllest:

God exists but I think he's kinda overestimated.... No offense, and I think people have lost track of what he is,like or how to communicate him

Let's yank it a bit; How do you know whether a God exists or not?

- secondly, how do you think it should be only one God and not a whole race of such supreme entities or do you think 1 makes less of an assumption than a billion?

Hhhmmm contesting for Mr Nairaland, i might vote for you after all boss wink

1 Like 1 Share

Re: The Epicurean Argument On Evil And God by hahn(m): 4:36pm On Jul 02, 2016
Touchnot01:
Exactly!!! Somehow they think the lives of humans will be better without religion. Other irreligious countries may be doing fine but irreligion is not atheism. Many irreligious people are spiritual and believe in a Creator. Hardly can one mention an atheist country (not irreligious ones) that has not been sick in their pursue for dominance. We can also see atheists countries such as north korea. History has proven that suppression of religious freedom has to retain brutality. These atheists are no different, the level at which they dedicate their lives to God and religion is enough proof that they would do anything to make it go away.

Besides, atheism has done absolutely nothing for humanity. The progress of science and technology has been largely due to religious minds. I then wonder where they got this craze to preach that getting people to be atheists means a better society. Billions of people find meaning with God, this fact disturbs atheists. Instead of spending their time to help humanity, they prefer to invest heavily in criticizing christians. At least we know that no one this much time on a lie.

Atheism is not even a thing. It is only a word used to describe people who do not believe in the existence of a god and the primary reason for that is the fact that there is no proof for any god.

Imagine there is a bus full of people and they are involved in an accident. Let us assume no one dies. The Christians in the bus will attribute it to Jehovah, the muslims to Allah, the Buddhists to Buddha, the Hindus to Krishna etc assuming all religions are represented even though no one can prove it.

There are lots of people who contributed to science who were theists but also do not forget that a lot of scientists were killed by Christians for saying simple things like stating the earth was round when the church insisted it was flat. Also, many of the scientists all used scientific processes to come to their conclusions. Not one single Christian scientist who ever made any reasonable finding or accomplishment did it by having "faith" or by reading about it in the bible. Likewise with other religions. They achieved what they did by following the scientific process. Remember that all other religions are represented in the science world. Which of the gods will we now attribute their successes to?

The cure for malaria wasn't in the bible and despite millions of people that died(and are still dying) and none of the gods did(or are doing) anything about it.

People are bad not because of their religion or lack of it but because of natural human tendencies. For every atheist you mention that is sick in the head, one can go ahead and mention 100 theists who are also sick. ALL our corrupt leaders are theists but that didn't stop them from looting funds and even pastors and imams have gone to endorse this obvious looters in their "holy" houses.

It is so sad that people choose to defend obvious lies.

Tell people that there is a god in the sky and they will believe. Tell them that paint is wet and they will have to touch to confirm.

It is plain ridiculous undecided

10 Likes 1 Share

Re: The Epicurean Argument On Evil And God by ElDaIllest(m): 4:44pm On Jul 02, 2016
Lol thanks
Re: The Epicurean Argument On Evil And God by johnydon22(m): 4:50pm On Jul 02, 2016
ElDaIllest:
lol thanks Boss.... Well I don't want to say anything that'll deter me from winning the Mr NL title cos right now I'm under the radar... But the truth might prevail anyway....Don't you think there's an energy or force that gave birth to life on earth...if it has yet been discovered I dunno the mayans told us it was the sun they were close but not close enough,there are other stars in the solar system but the planets that revolve around them no sign of life has been seen yet,I've read about biogenesis but that's bullcrap cos I dunno if anyone has replicated it in the lab yet.....life didn't just start as a unicellular bacteria that started revolving getting energy from the sun,what ever started life and in what ever phenomenon it happened I think such organism or being should be worth worthy of my worship

Of course i think there is an energy or force that gave birth to everything, but what is it?

it may be hydrogen
dark matter
quantum fluctuation
anti matter/matter reaction

call it God that is ok, Call it energy still ok..

But tell me it is a conscious humanoid who likes smell of burnt flesh, loves jews or muhammed, gets jealous and a petty insecurity, playing bet with humans.

that's a bit more than any rational mind can or will swallow.

1 Like 1 Share

Re: The Epicurean Argument On Evil And God by ElDaIllest(m): 5:13pm On Jul 02, 2016
johnydon22:

Of course i think there is an energy or force that gave birth to everything, but what is it?

it may be hydrogen
dark matter
quantum fluctuation
anti matter/matter reaction

call it God that is ok, Call it energy still ok..

But tell me it is a conscious humanoid who likes smell of burnt flesh, loves jews or muhammed, gets jealous and a petty insecurity, playing bet with humans.

that's a bit more than any rational mind can or will swallow.
lol I've thought of this thing over and over since science and religion still does not have answers it has made we philosophers sit on the fence.... Wish you well in your quest for the truth cos I know that's what you seek.... I'll be observing from my own end anyways
Re: The Epicurean Argument On Evil And God by johnydon22(m): 5:24pm On Jul 02, 2016
ElDaIllest:
lol I've thought of this thing over and over since science and religion still does not have answers it has made we philosophers sit on the fence.... Wish you well in your quest for the truth cos I know that's what you seek.... I'll be observing from my own end anyways

Yes thats the truth, nobody knows.. There is no shame in ignorance, the problem is when irrational thoughts and attendant behaviours fill the gap left by ignorance.

Philosophy, science and religion are triplets of human enquiry and audacious nature.

Let me represent the three methods with the analogy of the black cat..

- Natural questions is like a black cat.

..Philosophy is like being in a dark room looking for a black cat imagining where it might be.[it could be anywhere]

… Science is like being in a dark room looking for a black cat using a torch light [empiricism and mathematics and logic]

… religion (theology) is like being in a dark room looking for a black cat and shouting "i found it!!!" but yet can't provide it.

7 Likes 4 Shares

Re: The Epicurean Argument On Evil And God by ElDaIllest(m): 5:32pm On Jul 02, 2016
johnydon22:

Yes thats the truth, nobody knows.. There is no shame in ignorance, the problem is when irrational thoughts and attendant behaviours fill the gap left by ignorance.

Philosophy, science and religion are triplets of human enquiry and audacious nature.

Let me represent the three methods with the analogy of the black cat..

- Natural questions is like a black cat.

..Philosophy is like being in a dark room looking for a black cat imagining where it might be.[it could be anywhere]

… Science is like being in a dark room looking for a black cat using a torch light [empiricism and mathematics and logic]

… religion (theology) is like being in a dark room looking for a black and shouting "i found it!!!" but yet can't provide it.
please recommend books I should read cos I feel my version of knowledge needs to be updated lol...cos your illustration is baring, I want to upgrade to your level of thought
Re: The Epicurean Argument On Evil And God by UyiIredia(m): 6:03pm On Jul 02, 2016
The presence of evil in the world does nothing to negate the existence of God. It does however contradict the notion of God being all-good.

2 Likes 1 Share

Re: The Epicurean Argument On Evil And God by johnydon22(m): 6:13pm On Jul 02, 2016
UyiIredia:
The presence of evil in the world does nothing to negate the existence of God. It does however contradict the notion of God being all-good.

Exactly, it is an argument of definition ... it addresses the concept of God defined as Omnibenevolent, Omniscient and omnipotent.

The existence of a God with that definition who is presiding over the cosmos is variance with evil.

It is a paradox and such a God [of the above definition] cannot exist in such theater..

In order to severe this logical murder of an all good Deity presiding over an imperfect nature, Deism distanced 'God' from interfering with the cosmos.

But even in that, it still didn't maintain an all good tilt it rather makes the Deistic idea 'indifferent' which is neither on the good tilt or bad.

But if nature is directly a design of the deistic God then glitches of nature are it's flaws therefore makes it impotent in designing a perfect cosmos.

1 Like 1 Share

Re: The Epicurean Argument On Evil And God by Touchnot01: 6:28pm On Jul 02, 2016
hahn:

Atheism is not even a thing. It is only a word used to describe people who do not believe in the existence of a god and the primary reason for that is the fact that there is no proof for any god.

Imagine there is a bus full of people and they are involved in an accident. Let us assume no one dies. The Christians in the bus will attribute it to Jehovah, the muslims to Allah, the Buddhists to Buddha, the Hindus to Krishna etc assuming all religions are represented even though no one can prove it.

There are lots of people who contributed to science who were theists but also do not forget that a lot of scientists were killed by Christians for saying simple things like stating the earth was round when the church insisted it was flat. Also, many of the scientists all used scientific processes to come to their conclusions. Not one single Christian scientist who ever made any reasonable finding or accomplishment did it by having "faith" or by reading about it in the bible. Likewise with other religions. They achieved what they did by following the scientific process. Remember that all other religions are represented in the science world. Which of the gods will we now attribute their successes to?

The cure for malaria wasn't in the bible and despite millions of people that died(and are still dying) and none of the gods did(or are doing) anything about it.

People are bad not because of their religion or lack of it but because of natural human tendencies. For every atheist you mention that is sick in the head, one can go ahead and mention 100 theists who are also sick. ALL our corrupt leaders are theists but that didn't stop them from looting funds and even pastors and imams have gone to endorse this obvious looters in their "holy" houses.

It is so sad that people choose to defend obvious lies.

Tell people that there is a god in the sky and they will believe. Tell them that paint is wet and they will have to touch to confirm.

It is plain ridiculous undecided
There you go, ive bolded your illogical statements. When you really choose to be open minded, you will see how much those claims are devoid of evidence and logic.
You might as well cal the bible a science textbook or point out where God commanded humans not to work. Even luke was a physician.
I dont do this but all you and others show here everyday is obsession and hate for a non-existent God. Most of these threads are just weak, pathetic and immature noises. You all make it obvious why people hate God. Its never logic.
Dont bother quoting me.
Re: The Epicurean Argument On Evil And God by hahn(m): 7:35pm On Jul 02, 2016
Touchnot01:
There you go, ive bolded your illogical statements. When you really choose to be open minded, you will see how much those claims are devoid of evidence and logic.
You might as well cal the bible a science textbook or point out where God commanded humans not to work. Even luke was a physician.
I dont do this but all you and others show here everyday is obsession and hate for a non-existent God. Most of these threads are just weak, pathetic and immature noises. You all make it obvious why people hate God. Its never logic.
Dont bother quoting me.

undecided
Re: The Epicurean Argument On Evil And God by johnydon22(m): 7:57pm On Jul 02, 2016
ElDaIllest:
please recommend books I should read cos I feel my version of knowledge needs to be updated lol...cos your illustration is baring, I want to upgrade to your level of thought

Everything worth writing is worth reading, there is a slice of sound wisdom in every written word of literature, be it fantasy, conspiracy or myth. there is always a pearl among the stones worth knowing.

I hold a scientific view of the world but also holds immense respect for every work that blares testimony to human audacity at questioning nature.

But science is a humbling and awe inspiring discipline, not only does it reveal the facts of nature through study eaten with consistent logic but it opens a door way to a profound reverence and awe striking respect for the natural world.

I recommend you read everything you can but always have the time for your own personal thoughts and silent musing.

5 Likes 4 Shares

Re: The Epicurean Argument On Evil And God by ElDaIllest(m): 8:00pm On Jul 02, 2016
johnydon22:

Everything worth writing is worth reading, there is a slice of sound wisdom in every written word of literature, be it fantasy, conspiracy or myth. there is always a pearl among the stones worth knowing.

I hold a scientific view of the world but also holds immense respect for every work that blares testimony to human audacity at questioning nature.

But science is a humbling and awe inspiring discipline, not only does it reveal the facts of nature through study eaten with consistent logic but it opens a door way to a profound reverence and awe striking respect for the natural world.

I recommend you read everything you can but always have the time for your own personal thoughts and silent musing.
thank you bro
Re: The Epicurean Argument On Evil And God by johnydon22(m): 5:33am On Jul 04, 2016
Touchnot01:
Dont bother quoting me.

I wish you could show those statements were illogical not just say they were

2 Likes

Re: The Epicurean Argument On Evil And God by Immorttal: 7:30am On Jul 04, 2016
Empero1:
@OP

You have some valid points. Foremost, I am a theistic humanist - I believe in the existence of a sole creator who is "just." However, He neither need human's praises nor prayers, having given us everything we need to exist and excel independent of Him - a gift of freewill in particular can never put quantified.

this above lines is definitely the basis of my atheistic journey.Yes,there is a creator but certainly not Jehovah nor any other 5000+ gods.He don't even crave our worship nor praises if he does then certainly the animals are no exception. Evil and good are part of physical existence,none of them is actually bad as both teaches ernomously,if you are a deep thinking person it won't take you time to understand that our life on this platform was built on survival of the fittest just exactly like other living things(plants & animals.
Re: The Epicurean Argument On Evil And God by Immorttal: 7:48am On Jul 04, 2016
theist can't just think, why would any creator forcefully persuade humans to worship him and abstain from sin and at the same time giving him freewill.Ita illogical.Sin do not exist,i adhere to the government's standard and laws. Take for instance,we procreate by having sex,the sexual desire is so strong that its almost impossible to abstain from,then an imaginary god from nowhere bids you not to have sex and didn't reduce or remove entirely the outrageous sexual urges. Now its weird considering the animals procreates through that same method with no given consequences.We are not all that special at @all,we are simply a higher or slightly upgraded animal.
Re: The Epicurean Argument On Evil And God by otemanuduno: 7:48am On Jul 04, 2016
Empero1:
@OP

You have some valid points. Foremost, I am a theistic humanist - I believe in the existence of a sole creator who is "just." However, He neither need human's praises nor prayers, having given us everything we need to exist and excel independent of Him a gift of freewill in particular can never put quantified.

You're speaking as if you've read the DOCTUFOS. the bonded sounds like the character of DOMINO REVERAD, the father of Jehovah and all the other small small gods who are forcing worship on people.
Re: The Epicurean Argument On Evil And God by mcprichy: 7:52am On Jul 04, 2016
What is meaning of God? If God in your contest refer to The Uncreated Self Existing Consciousness who existed from begining then This Being is never omnibenevolent, omniscient and omnipotent, please hear me out

For a being to Self Exist from Nothing means He will be Absolute Nothing in nature, an invinscible transcend Vibration or Word with a Special Anointing to Adapt to any state of existence be it Nothing, Energy or Matter: such is absolute unit of Atom and reason for names of Creator in different cultures.
Adapt =>Akamara
Nothing=>RA=>EL
Anointing=>Christ
Word=>Phanes=>Olofin
Atom=>Atum

After The Creator Self Exist as Nothing then in process of Time manifest Energy and Matter which made Creator Powerful omnibenevolent, omniscient and omnipotent hence Creator is different from Power of Creator.

At each point in time, there are 7 Primal Energy manifested out of Nothing by Creator, without The 7, Creator Default Power is based on Energy and Matter been adapting to, if as human, if human don't fly then Creator wont

To create life forms, Creator sacrificed previous 7 Primals but base on Law of Conservation of Energy, new 7 regenerated and Creator return to state of Nothing since then till today.

It was prophesied that Creator will be reborn as Human and will merge The New 7 in event call Marriage of Lamb cos Image of Creator is both MaleFemale.

There are human who knew this secret hence scam the prophecy to 'steal' Power and Glory of Creator.

Its a pity that Jesus was one of them by claiming Creator impregnate his mum hence want to inherit Power of his dad but he fail.

When Creator merge back with The 7, things will change till then we are On Your Own embarassed
Re: The Epicurean Argument On Evil And God by johnydon22(m): 4:17pm On Jul 04, 2016
Immorttal:

this above lines is definitely the basis of my atheistic journey.Yes,there is a creator but certainly not Jehovah nor any other 5000+ gods.He don't even crave our worship nor praises if he does then certainly the animals are no exception. Evil and good are part of physical existence,none of them is actually bad as both teaches ernomously,if you are a deep thinking person it won't take you time to understand that our life on this platform was built on survival of the fittest just exactly like other living things(plants & animals.

Needing worship, reverence and acknowledge is a mundane need fueled by both ego and human emotional vulnerability.

For a God to trail such mundane flaws is petty, childish, insecure, egoistic and vulnerable.

Such traits are variance with Omnipotence, omniscience and omnibenevolence.

For something to 'need' or 'wants' something reveals imperfection, something perfect needs nothing.

A God who needs things [especially mundane character flaws ] is too petty to be perfect .

A God who is perfect cannot need, require, want or said desire anything let alone from tiny humans that are almost inexistent in a humongous cosmos.

A perfect God who needs something is a paradox and cannot exist...

So whoever asserts a perfect God shows worship, acknowledgement, praise and reverence to such figure to be utterly useless and irrelevant.

For one to assert a God who needs these then you'd have to start by acknowledging it is imperfect, flawed with a huge ego problem.

2 Likes 4 Shares

(1) (2) (Reply)

What Is Happening To Me When I Pray? / Abuse Victim Awarded $40 Million In Jehovah's Witness Sex Assault Case / Did Joseph Legally Separate From Mary After Jesus' Birth?

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 159
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.