Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,152,666 members, 7,816,719 topics. Date: Friday, 03 May 2024 at 03:54 PM

GLO-1 Breaks Nitel SAT-3’s Monopoly - Computers (2) - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Science/Technology / Computers / GLO-1 Breaks Nitel SAT-3’s Monopoly (5067 Views)

Globacom Submarine Cable - Glo-1 / Is Nitel Landline Or Dialup Still Working ? / How Do I Get Bandwidth Via SAT-3? (NITEL Wholesale Internet Services) (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (Reply) (Go Down)

Re: GLO-1 Breaks Nitel SAT-3’s Monopoly by ochukoccna: 7:32am On Sep 08, 2009
rickie4us:

plz, which one is Main One cable?

A company seeking to bring broadband services to 9ja. Fola Adeola [GTB] has his fingers in this pie.
Re: GLO-1 Breaks Nitel SAT-3’s Monopoly by Nobody: 9:31am On Sep 08, 2009
that i'm impressed is an understatement, i think it's more like i'm astounded! these are the fine points of capitalism-and i hope it will be taken with caution to avoid the downside too-. mikey, keep it up. up glo!
Re: GLO-1 Breaks Nitel SAT-3’s Monopoly by tunde300us(m): 9:51am On Sep 08, 2009
The truth is that corporate clients will be the main customers cos its not the 10k u want to pay that glo is looking for really,but they all add up to the total on the long run.

Nobody should expect glo to start laying cables round ppls home cos they want to be the best,but atleast you should be expecting that via their wireless 3G modems, u will get incredible speeds,but the truth need to be told that Nigerian factor always is a problem with anything good in Nigeria especially POWER and GOVT.
Re: GLO-1 Breaks Nitel SAT-3’s Monopoly by Orikinla(m): 9:59am On Sep 08, 2009
No matter the retail price at the end of the day, this is good news for Nigeria.
As an online news and information publisher, I know that GLO-1 is going to propel our development in the mass media.

If NITEL fails, GLO-1 will save the day for us.
Re: GLO-1 Breaks Nitel SAT-3’s Monopoly by RuuDie(m): 12:16pm On Sep 08, 2009
Sometimes 1 broken monopoly only leads to the growth of a bigger 1. . .
Last time i checked, GLO wasn't a charity organization. . . . Good as the whole development sounds for certain aspects of our economy but of what benefit is it if it isn't in the reach of the average nigerian
Re: GLO-1 Breaks Nitel SAT-3’s Monopoly by zoraro(m): 2:22pm On Sep 08, 2009
I don't understand all this apprehension about it benefiting the masses, what stops your ISP from hooking up to it to improve their capacity?
Re: GLO-1 Breaks Nitel SAT-3’s Monopoly by YoungBrain: 4:27pm On Sep 08, 2009
The Major challenge we face with Internet connections in Nigeria is the "last mile connectivity"

i.e how to get the link to the end customer satisfactorily and consistently
Re: GLO-1 Breaks Nitel SAT-3’s Monopoly by RuuDie(m): 5:17pm On Sep 08, 2009
zoraro:

I don't understand all this apprehension about it benefiting the masses, what stops your ISP from hooking up to it to improve there capacity?

What stops GLO from keeping the prices down to the reach of SMEs
Re: GLO-1 Breaks Nitel SAT-3’s Monopoly by tunde300us(m): 9:46pm On Sep 08, 2009
@ ruddie: MONEY lipsrsealed
Re: GLO-1 Breaks Nitel SAT-3’s Monopoly by zoraro(m): 9:48pm On Sep 08, 2009
tunde300us:

@ ruddie: MONEY lipsrsealed

They will recoup their investment in the long run. The lower their prices are the more customers they will have and the sooner they recoup their money back. Beside, they are competing with SAT-3 now.
Re: GLO-1 Breaks Nitel SAT-3’s Monopoly by zoraro(m): 9:52pm On Sep 08, 2009
RuuDie:

What stops GLO from keeping the prices down to the reach of SMEs

Nothing is stoppling them. But, they have not disclosed their pricing scheme, I think. They should give serious consideration to home users too.
Re: GLO-1 Breaks Nitel SAT-3’s Monopoly by mathelize(m): 11:20pm On Sep 08, 2009
That's good news, the bottom line is - all homes have to be connected. That's when one will see the many benefits of fibre. Don't rely on wireless, make provision for wired networks
Re: GLO-1 Breaks Nitel SAT-3’s Monopoly by lekside44(m): 3:09am On Sep 09, 2009
this is just a tip of the isberg as another fibre is about to be laid connecting nigeria to europe through the desert. the west african and many other regional govt are also planning to inter wire themselves through the fibre. this could be linked with other gateways and , increases the bandwidth available.
Re: GLO-1 Breaks Nitel SAT-3’s Monopoly by OneTouch1(m): 6:04am On Sep 09, 2009
Well, Some Good News. smiley Maybe their internet services would get better?
Re: GLO-1 Breaks Nitel SAT-3’s Monopoly by tobiecxs(m): 8:50am On Sep 09, 2009
Adenuga, pls construct a rail system from Lagos to London, I'll appreciate that more, mo fe ja
Re: GLO-1 Breaks Nitel SAT-3’s Monopoly by lagerwhenindoubt(m): 8:58am On Sep 09, 2009
It is definitely good news, a lot better than when i first heard GLO was going into commercial Internet via their USB modems.
But i have had a horrendous experience since then, I lost a lot of money through spurious charges, inefficient billing and abysmal customer support, Yet their infrastructure ranks the best among all telcos in Nigeria (first grade only)

Yet as some have mentioned, there is that 'Nigeria' element. it seems stupid to fall to such an analogy, but in the end GLO has done much for Nigeria but they definitely leave a sour after-taste in your mouth. let us hope the pedigree of Funke Okpeke (MainOneCable) will act as a balance to GLO's incompetence in the end-user side of his business.
Re: GLO-1 Breaks Nitel SAT-3’s Monopoly by candylips(m): 9:07am On Sep 09, 2009
hmmm
Re: GLO-1 Breaks Nitel SAT-3’s Monopoly by fashooo: 10:47am On Sep 09, 2009
Nice one there.@ least we will have choice to make and i know that some one who has invested so much will not settle for poor quality of service.some ppl will leave SAT 3 for GLO 1, creating enof bandwidth for those that will be on SAT 3 and more bandwidth for those on GLO 1
Re: GLO-1 Breaks Nitel SAT-3’s Monopoly by saviola77(m): 4:43pm On Sep 09, 2009
This about changes everything. Nice one glo!
Re: GLO-1 Breaks Nitel SAT-3’s Monopoly by dexteer555(m): 6:10pm On Sep 09, 2009
guys,
not too worry, u'll get ur ADSL with good bandwidth n also wimax for areas not capable of ADSL right now.
Am sure of lasgidi on that
Re: GLO-1 Breaks Nitel SAT-3’s Monopoly by henryabove: 3:02am On Sep 10, 2009
though it sounds like a great feat,but trouble is looming.Nigeria has always strenghtened the weak 2 weaken the
strong.They hv crumbled nitel n d gladiators are now fortifying glo.Just know that technology,nobody does it alone so we need other players.Also after the deployment the nigerian terrestial divide need to be networked 4 full performance.
Re: GLO-1 Breaks Nitel SAT-3’s Monopoly by candylips(m): 9:07am On Sep 10, 2009
i dont understand what u are saying
Re: GLO-1 Breaks Nitel SAT-3’s Monopoly by henryabove: 8:15am On Sep 11, 2009
What i am saying is that glo has now become a trail blaizer but at the same time, we need other transatlantic cabling.
Re: GLO-1 Breaks Nitel SAT-3’s Monopoly by candylips(m): 11:33am On Sep 29, 2009
i am eagerly waiting for this Glo cable sef
Re: GLO-1 Breaks Nitel SAT-3’s Monopoly by henryabove: 7:08pm On Oct 02, 2009
yea it has,and now the issue of 21st global village has just arrived
Re: GLO-1 Breaks Nitel SAT-3’s Monopoly by sologsm200: 10:36am On Oct 03, 2009
job well donr from glo, BUT is glo going to take over from PHCN/NEPA?
Re: GLO-1 Breaks Nitel SAT-3’s Monopoly by lumzi23: 6:36pm On May 08, 2010
Phase 3 Telecoms and Dangote's Alheri Engineering to roll out fibre optic cable across the country.

More in the link:
http://allafrica.com/stories/200901210237.html

This should help regular end users as far taking advantage of the glo-1 and main one cable is concerned.

(1) (2) (Reply)

⭕Sold⭕Toshiba Satellite L755D Notebook PC - Nationwide Delivery / Dell Latitude E4310 For Sale / Yahoo Mail, Gmail Or Hotmail?

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 30
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.