Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,153,417 members, 7,819,507 topics. Date: Monday, 06 May 2024 at 05:20 PM

Globacom Submarine Cable - Glo-1 - Computers - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Science/Technology / Computers / Globacom Submarine Cable - Glo-1 (55239 Views)

See The Best Internet Data Plans / Bundles From MTN Etisalat Airtel And Globacom / Two Submarine Cables- Mainone And Glo1, Yet Poor Internet! / Glo-1 Submarine Cable (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10) ... (20) (Reply) (Go Down)

Globacom Submarine Cable - Glo-1 by jdoss: 6:14pm On Jan 26, 2009
Does anyone that works for glo, or has friends or family that work for glo know anything about it's(submarine cable) progress. The last bit of information released had the cable ready for commercial launch in March 2009.
Also, anyone know anything about their market strategy. Will they keep the bandwidth for themselves or sell to other ISP's? How will that compare to current prices?

http://allafrica.com/stories/200811180271.html
Re: Globacom Submarine Cable - Glo-1 by tomcat: 1:01pm On Mar 04, 2009
from the little i know from the Alcatel people, the cable is very close to be completed, however the completion means that it can just reach offshore,

It is Glo's responsibility to build the buildings that the landing will be, along with gateaways, datacentres etc, so that in my opinion will take some time, apply for licences etc,

Glo intends to roll out their own internet and fixed telephone and for that purpose they are doing, to the best of my knowledge, the best organised network in Nigeria. They are running copper and fiber in major cities, and they have already completed the ring main around Lagos, however again to go inside Lagos to the last mile for door to door, will take lots of time,

I don't know if they will use the bandwidth for themselves, but i would imagine that it would make sense, until they are ready with their own network to wholesale their bandwith to others, that they are already have the last mile, whatever it is, can't be worse service than Nitel's Sat3,
Re: Globacom Submarine Cable - Glo-1 by alex406(m): 3:23pm On Mar 09, 2009
I remembered when they started the whole laying of fibres in Lagos since 2005 and yet to complete it.
Re: Globacom Submarine Cable - Glo-1 by flyuche(m): 4:17pm On Mar 09, 2009
alex406:

I remembered when they started the whole laying of fibres in Lagos since 2005 and yet to complete it.
na so dem go raise person hope for nothing. don't expect that submarine cable to be ready in your lifetime.!
Re: Globacom Submarine Cable - Glo-1 by init4dmoni(m): 1:36pm On May 09, 2009
dat's not fair angry
maybe by the end of next year it'll be ready for commercial use undecided undecided grin
Re: Globacom Submarine Cable - Glo-1 by jdoss: 3:37pm On Jun 01, 2009
bump

Anyone have any new info? It seems as though Globacom isn't talking about it anymore.
Re: Globacom Submarine Cable - Glo-1 by init4dmoni(m): 10:33pm On Jun 01, 2009
read it "was" scheduled to land in ghanna in may(no new stuff since den)
Re: Globacom Submarine Cable - Glo-1 by jdoss: 10:38pm On Jun 02, 2009
http://leadershipnigeria.com/index.php?option=com_content&view=article&id=2003:glo-is-wafict-biggest-sponsor&catid=18:business-news&Itemid=77

Spoke to someone at the Glo stand at the Wafict. For those interested, they say it should be fully operational before November(Lord willing). He said they have landed in Ghana(if true, then they weren't lying about Ghana in may), and are currently working on the Ghana Nigeria leg. The guy also mentioned something I hope is wrong, he said glo broadacces will be a wireless solution.
Re: Globacom Submarine Cable - Glo-1 by init4dmoni(m): 2:25am On Jun 05, 2009
thanks a lot
even if it's a wireless soln, atleast they'll have the back bone to provide true mobile broadband not wat we have now that is a long way from broadband
just hope it is really going to be fully operational by november
Re: Globacom Submarine Cable - Glo-1 by flyuche(m): 6:23am On Jun 05, 2009
that's when their 3G plus will make sense.
Re: Globacom Submarine Cable - Glo-1 by netotse(m): 10:36am On Jun 05, 2009
heard they were interested in NITEL if they buy it then they most def wont go only wireless
Re: Globacom Submarine Cable - Glo-1 by lynxnoon(m): 10:41am On Jun 05, 2009
Yes oh Flyuche
Dia 3G plus 4 nw is kinda somhw wit it bin on postpaid & all dat
Re: Globacom Submarine Cable - Glo-1 by jdoss: 5:33pm On Jun 05, 2009
@netotse I heard the same thing, but then I heard the NCC might be renewing it's call to bar the three major telecoms firms from buying Nitel.

@lynxnoon The guy at the WAfrITC thing said that the 3g will soon be both pre and postpaid. It will be the exact same plans, but prepaid. The guy did not say anything about a new billing system, so I'm not sure how well it will work. I'll wait for other people to give me their verdict.

The problem I have with wireless is that it is not built to be the primary last mile solution. 3g works in other countries because most people have some variant of dsl or cable or FTTH at their place of residence or at work(they have no problem with the data download limit). They also have land lines which decreases the burden on the gsm networks. Until these companies start seriously pushing some form of "wire"to the home, we will never be able to truly advance. We are trying to skip the last mile infrastructure, but technology progresses based on the assumption that it exists.
Re: Globacom Submarine Cable - Glo-1 by init4dmoni(m): 5:43pm On Jun 05, 2009
21 century is supposed to hv stared laying ftth to 10000homes in lagos in january this yr but i haven't heardread any new developments
maybe u cn ask this ur freind weda he knows anything about it
Re: Globacom Submarine Cable - Glo-1 by jdoss: 6:05pm On Jun 05, 2009
I have no friend O, I just got tired of the lack of info so I actually went to the event. I was there for about 40 mins asking the guy why Globacom lies so much. There was a guy from glo gateway(told me about Glo-1 and broadaccess), and their value added service department(he was the one that told me about prepaid 3g)

I read about 21st century as well, have not heard anything about that. I suspect it will be expensive though, and I only see it coming online when either glo-1 or more likely main-1 has landed.
Re: Globacom Submarine Cable - Glo-1 by DualCore1: 6:08pm On Jun 05, 2009
well until i see something better, i'mma keep MTN'ing my way through cyberspace. This glo thing had better be better, lol.
Re: Globacom Submarine Cable - Glo-1 by lynxnoon(m): 8:42pm On Jun 05, 2009
wel lets wait n c wat glo coms up wit
Re: Globacom Submarine Cable - Glo-1 by tomcat: 9:40pm On Jul 08, 2009
from what i know from reliable sources the cable has reached a few miles outside Alpha beach. The PO has been raised for the building to be built in order to accept the landing of the cable, and is scheduled to be completed for end of this year.

not so sure what last mile Glo will follow, however, they have laid fiber and copper around Lagos and connected Lagos with Abuja and maybe Kano if i'm not mistaken, so they kind of made the main rings,

making the last mile with copper or fiber to every house would take long time, as just to deal with the license from each government to let you dig and pass cable it would take ages,
Re: Globacom Submarine Cable - Glo-1 by init4dmoni(m): 6:26pm On Jul 09, 2009
my house in lag is barely 1km away from the alpha beach
tings better work out well, visited the beach a couple of times(though i'm sure the landing point would be miles wy from the beach)
@ tomcat
thanks a lot, continue updating us abeg
Re: Globacom Submarine Cable - Glo-1 by tomcat: 6:34pm On Jul 09, 2009
Re: Globacom Submarine Cable - Glo-1 by jdoss: 9:49pm On Jul 22, 2009
@tomcat Thanks for the info, It's good to hear from sources outside "official"released statement. Any update?

There have just been so many lies by Glo. If I ever get my hands on that Jameel guy,  Broadaccess/Glo 1 January 2008 my ass(first time he got me, but it wouldn't be the last).

Plus does anyone know the actual capacity of Glo-1? I've heard 318 Gb and also heard they upgraded to twice that.
Re: Globacom Submarine Cable - Glo-1 by init4dmoni(m): 7:34am On Jul 23, 2009
i'm still puzzled on the capacity issues
some sites say 318Gb/s while some say 632Gb/s
Re: Globacom Submarine Cable - Glo-1 by Gbo2: 9:36am On Jul 23, 2009
I think providing a wireless last mile solution is the way to go. I hope theyd be willing to use the newest wireless solutions. This will be 4th gen wireless using wimax or LTE. It is cheaper than laying cables all over the state and the country and delivers theoretically 70mbps over a radius of up to 10km for heavily loaded networks. This will be true mobile broadband. I hope everything works out. We are about to see a huge change in the proliferation of internet services in Naija. Economic growth too.
Re: Globacom Submarine Cable - Glo-1 by tomcat: 6:49pm On Jul 23, 2009
eventually copper last mile will deliver the best internet service or triple play if this is what Glo is targeting if i'm not mistaken,

however to start with not so sure what last mile they gonna use unless they use their existing 3g service,

not so sure on the capacity of the cable though, but i think is gonna be plenty to start with,
Re: Globacom Submarine Cable - Glo-1 by hayprof(m): 11:16pm On Jul 24, 2009
Lol, we talking broadband internet u talking village. .?

So, wats d latest wit d Glo-cable??
Re: Globacom Submarine Cable - Glo-1 by init4dmoni(m): 11:56am On Jul 25, 2009
i still dey wait ooo
Re: Globacom Submarine Cable - Glo-1 by jdoss: 6:58am On Aug 18, 2009
http://www.234next.com/csp/cms/sites/Next/Money/Business/5445342-146/story.csp

Globacom spokesman, Tunde Babalola, told NEXT that the cables would land in Nigeria soon, although, he did not provide further details.

“The Glo-1 Submarine cable is still in Ghana and is to land in Lagos soon,” he said.

Other company sources say the cables will run along the coastal lines in Lagos from Bar Beach and terminate in Lekki and onwards to Port Harcourt, in Rivers State.

However, when NEXT visited the proposed site at the Lekki beach, Lagos, there was no evidence of preparations to receive the cables “soon”.

Frank Udoh, a resident in the area said; “I have not seen or heard anything about Glo constructing a project here.”

http://www.234next.com/csp/cms/sites/Next/Money/Business/5444979-146/story.csp

Mohammed Jameel, Globacom’s chief operating officer, said the Glo-1 Submarine cable project was first publicised in Accra, Ghana in July, 2008.

http://itrealms..com/2007/08/glo-undersea-cable-lands-in-senegal.html

August 2007

Chief Operating Officer (COO), Globacom, Mr. Mohammed Jameel gave this insight at a get together for media practitioners in the country held in Lagos at the weekend [. . . .] In accordance with the Globacom’s outline, he revealed that the Glo’s undersea cable has now reached Senegal and would soon be concluded.

The under sea cable, also called Glo 1, he said, is being laid across West Africa sub-region up to Europe, adding that the transcontinental cable would reduce the challenges of communications in Africa, thereby making voice and data connections easy and at better rates.

“So, as we celebrate we decided to begin with our friends in the media,” he said.

This Jameel guy has spent too much time in Naija.

Ok, I am officially off the Glo-1 bandwagon, and buying my ticket for the Main-One express. See you in June 2010.
Re: Globacom Submarine Cable - Glo-1 by init4dmoni(m): 5:18pm On Aug 19, 2009
thanks
this contry has serious issues
which kind nonsense be this sef, just hope main one doesn't turn out this way too

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10) ... (20) (Reply)

Let Me Teach U How To Increase Download Speed Of Utorrent By 1000% / Let's Have Your "Computers Section" Complaints/Suggestions/Observations Here! / NIIT Na Rubbish

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 33
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.