Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,152,403 members, 7,815,880 topics. Date: Thursday, 02 May 2024 at 08:11 PM

Shocker From Sokoto: Only LGA In Nigeria Without A Secondary School. - Politics - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Politics / Shocker From Sokoto: Only LGA In Nigeria Without A Secondary School. (1971 Views)

Give Ijaws Their Own LGA In Edo - Ijaws To Edo Government / "Uncontrollable Crisis Looms In Nigeria Without Restructuring" – Nnia Nwodo / Gold Discovered In Bagwai And Shanno LGA In Kano (photos) (2) (3) (4)

(1) (Reply) (Go Down)

Shocker From Sokoto: Only LGA In Nigeria Without A Secondary School. by HungerBAD: 1:10am On Jul 04, 2016
It came as a great shock to learn that 102 years after the amalgamation of the Northern and Southern protectorate to form Nigeria as by the former British colonial masters and 56 years after her independence, one of the 774 local government areas in Nigeria does not have a secondary school.

This LGA is known as Gudu Local Government Area, and it is in Sokoto State, which in 1979 produced a president of Nigeria, Alhaji Shehu Shagari. Sokoto is also the home state of the leader of Muslims in Nigeria, the Sultan of Sokoto.

Another unfortunate fact about the dismal level of education in this LGA is that out of 1,890 secondary school students who hail from its domain of an officially estimated population of 200,000, only one of them is a female. All of them school away from their home local government area. These facts only came out because the Governor of the state, Alhaji Waziri Tambuwal, has finally decided to site a model boarding school there, in line with his promise on this year’s Democracy Day, according to the Governor’s spokesman, Imam Imam.

This kind of nationally embarrassing statistic that sometimes emanates from the North, especially with regard to the generally poor attitude of some of their leaders to the education of children of the less fortunate members of the citizenry is something that has got to stop. This local government council has collected billions of naira from the Federation Account over the years.

The Federal Government also pays hefty amounts to the state based on the high population figure ascribed to this local government with a view to using the funds to uplift the people and provide them with better life. Politicians go there from one political season to the next, canvassing for votes and getting voted for. The local government has also produced a good number of educated individuals who went to school in towns outside the local government.

Yet nobody found it in their hearts to ensure that the poor people of that locality were given access to a secondary educational facility within their reach. This is not just a case of extreme bad governance, failure of leadership and elite insensitivity to the needs of the grassroots; it is a clear cut case of man’s inhumanity to man.

We condemn this without reservation and wonder how the elite and “big men/women” from that local government are able to weather the stigma of this shame. It is somewhat comforting that Governor Tambuwal has taken it upon himself to break this jinx and establish a “model” boarding school at Balle, the headquarters of the embattled local government, which he said, would cost one billion naira. It is better late than never.

http://www.vanguardngr.com/2016/07/shocker-from-sokoto/

1 Like

Re: Shocker From Sokoto: Only LGA In Nigeria Without A Secondary School. by emmysexxy(f): 1:12am On Jul 04, 2016
shocked
Re: Shocker From Sokoto: Only LGA In Nigeria Without A Secondary School. by HungerBAD: 1:13am On Jul 04, 2016
Governor Tambuwal is in the APC by the way.

1 Like

Re: Shocker From Sokoto: Only LGA In Nigeria Without A Secondary School. by madridguy(m): 1:15am On Jul 04, 2016
Speechless.
Re: Shocker From Sokoto: Only LGA In Nigeria Without A Secondary School. by Flexherbal(m): 1:17am On Jul 04, 2016
What has their government be doing?
Re: Shocker From Sokoto: Only LGA In Nigeria Without A Secondary School. by dokiOloye(m): 1:22am On Jul 04, 2016
This is why some of us hate d northern leaders(God forgive me).
They will never make any conscious effort to uplift their masses thru education wc is d easiest means,while their own children will have d best of education etc.
I know corruption is not a regional thing but yes,it's worse in d north and I keep wondering why EFFC will be chasing southern politicians about while corruption is staring them in d face in d north,and yes,I have lived in different parts of d north,I know what I am talking about.
A local govt chairman in d north lives like a governor in d south cos they just pay salaries and share d rest.

1 Like

Re: Shocker From Sokoto: Only LGA In Nigeria Without A Secondary School. by Taich(m): 1:31am On Jul 04, 2016
Flexherbal:
What has their government be doing?

If u ask me, na who i go ask? Thank God that something is been done about it at least. Looks like some part of Northern Nigeria are not part of the country or maybe they were just recently included in the map. How can a state government and local Government deprive this basic need from this people for so long? and someone is even trying to score a political point with it. they all should bury the head shame.

1 Like

Re: Shocker From Sokoto: Only LGA In Nigeria Without A Secondary School. by MXrep: 2:11am On Jul 04, 2016
They concentrate on city centre for the elite while the rest of the state perish. Ppl should see development in a more holistic way
Re: Shocker From Sokoto: Only LGA In Nigeria Without A Secondary School. by yarimo(m): 2:27am On Jul 04, 2016
Reading this thread from SAMBISA FOREST, governor TAMBUAL may God bless you

1 Like

Re: Shocker From Sokoto: Only LGA In Nigeria Without A Secondary School. by engrMikemd(m): 2:58am On Jul 04, 2016
this is incredible
Re: Shocker From Sokoto: Only LGA In Nigeria Without A Secondary School. by gamargu(m): 3:19am On Jul 04, 2016
dokiOloye:
They will never make any conscious effort to uplift their masses thru education wc is d easiest means,while their own children will have d best of education etc.
I know corruption is not a regional thing but yes,it's worse in d north and I keep wondering why EFFC will be chasing southern politicians about while corruption is staring them in d face in d north,and yes,I have lived in different parts of d north,I know what I am talking about.
A local govt chairman in d north lives like a governor in d south cos they just pay salaries and share d rest.
man forget that talk. politicians from the north are not as corrupt as their southern counterparts.
Re: Shocker From Sokoto: Only LGA In Nigeria Without A Secondary School. by Firefire(m): 3:30am On Jul 04, 2016
High level fraud.

A LGA in the north with an officially estimated population of 200,000 and without any public school? Please where is all the federal allocation to the LG going?

Nigeria is a fraud.

2 Likes

Re: Shocker From Sokoto: Only LGA In Nigeria Without A Secondary School. by StCapital: 4:08am On Jul 04, 2016
This is unbelievable, present Governor was the immediate past speaker of the House of Representative for 4 years, do you want us to believe that nobody cared to let him know about it, we should ask questions about who are those that represented and Representing that constituency at the National Assembly or other public figures from the Zone and state should be investigated both their Educational Qualifications because I don't think they passed through Secondary school, Efcc should start immediately to investigate from former Presidents Shehu Shagari to Goodluck Jonathan's Regime, former president Shehu Shagari was a Headmaster, the Sultan of Sokoto is just like a Governor, i think more powerful than a Governor in the North,he is just there playing politics with politicians.In Imo state , there is no community without one Government Secondary School, the elites should be held responsible for whatever that is happening in the North today.
Re: Shocker From Sokoto: Only LGA In Nigeria Without A Secondary School. by AngelAhnie(f): 4:08am On Jul 04, 2016
They truly hate education

Haba! no governor give it a thought to build a secondary school for this people all these years.

200,000 people and only 1,890 are in school? That's poor, the government should build more than one model school for this people, they've really suffered setback education wise.
Re: Shocker From Sokoto: Only LGA In Nigeria Without A Secondary School. by AngelAhnie(f): 4:13am On Jul 04, 2016
dokiOloye:
Buhari is the demon behind the efcc.
Re: Shocker From Sokoto: Only LGA In Nigeria Without A Secondary School. by Nobody: 4:36am On Jul 04, 2016
Education is key
Re: Shocker From Sokoto: Only LGA In Nigeria Without A Secondary School. by Toosure70: 6:10am On Jul 04, 2016
But there are many Islamic schools, most backward tribe in the world.
Re: Shocker From Sokoto: Only LGA In Nigeria Without A Secondary School. by cckris: 6:27am On Jul 04, 2016
774 Local Govts were created to SHARE OIL MONEY. And included in the Constitution as unchangeable.
Re: Shocker From Sokoto: Only LGA In Nigeria Without A Secondary School. by harmless011: 6:36am On Jul 04, 2016
Which kind school is the governor going to build that will cost 1 billion naira.
Re: Shocker From Sokoto: Only LGA In Nigeria Without A Secondary School. by lorbah001(m): 6:47am On Jul 04, 2016
Na wa oooo

BTW few educated northerners are rulling us while the majority who are almajiris are bombing us!

Hmmm

1 Like

Re: Shocker From Sokoto: Only LGA In Nigeria Without A Secondary School. by johnwizey: 6:50am On Jul 04, 2016
No single school but they have plenty ile keu (arabic school), no wonder they keep retrogressing and dose murrafuckin LGA Chairmen keep feeding on our 'oyel' money grin
Re: Shocker From Sokoto: Only LGA In Nigeria Without A Secondary School. by freeze001(f): 6:53am On Jul 04, 2016
Kai!
Re: Shocker From Sokoto: Only LGA In Nigeria Without A Secondary School. by Balkan(m): 7:08am On Jul 04, 2016
Phantom Local government created by the North.
It is not possible that people live there. Most of the L G A in the north are just farm lands.

How can you be preaching one Nigeria while we all know that this country is existing on the paper not in the mind.

To he'll with one Nigeria.
Re: Shocker From Sokoto: Only LGA In Nigeria Without A Secondary School. by bamite(m): 7:43am On Jul 04, 2016
Hausas are the shame of nigeria. I'm from the middle belt and i think nigeria will be alot better off without the core north
Re: Shocker From Sokoto: Only LGA In Nigeria Without A Secondary School. by Balkan(m): 7:48am On Jul 04, 2016
bamite:
Hausas are the shame of nigeria. I'm from the middle belt and i think nigeria will be alot better off without the core north
you mean your senior brothers?
Re: Shocker From Sokoto: Only LGA In Nigeria Without A Secondary School. by arewaempire: 8:14am On Jul 04, 2016
bamite:

What have you achieved in the middle belt that makes you not as useless ( or more useless) as the 'Hausas'?

My friend,let's not tow that line. The middle beltans have done worse.

1 Like

Re: Shocker From Sokoto: Only LGA In Nigeria Without A Secondary School. by dokiOloye(m): 8:44am On Jul 04, 2016
gamargu:

man forget that talk. politicians from the north are not as corrupt as their southern counterparts.
if they are not,why is d north generally backward in all indices?
What does Ebonyi state get that Sokoto state doesn't get in double?
Re: Shocker From Sokoto: Only LGA In Nigeria Without A Secondary School. by bamite(m): 9:11am On Jul 04, 2016
arewaempire:

What have you achieved in the middle belt that makes you not as useless ( or more useless) as the 'Hausas'?

My friend,let's not tow that line. The middle beltans have done worse.
All you people know is shedding of blood and begging. We all know it is the middle belt that is still keeping this country together, when we finally get fed up with you people, all we need to do is join forces with the south and you know the rest
Re: Shocker From Sokoto: Only LGA In Nigeria Without A Secondary School. by arewaempire: 9:16am On Jul 04, 2016
[s]
bamite:
All you people know is shedding of blood and begging. We all know it is the middle belt that is still keeping this country together, when we finally get fed up with you people, all we need to do is join forces with the south and you know the rest
[/s]

You are confused... Neither here nor there . cheesy
Re: Shocker From Sokoto: Only LGA In Nigeria Without A Secondary School. by Femich18(m): 9:42am On Jul 04, 2016
Nawa o.. That is what we are saying...We only have leaders that are wicked and heartless. All what they have in mind is their selfish gains. But at the same tin the inhabitants if this LG are naive and gullible. They come to you during the period if election and after then they are being deserted. kudos to the Gov for ending this trend. May God strengthen him
Re: Shocker From Sokoto: Only LGA In Nigeria Without A Secondary School. by fulanimafia: 9:49am On Jul 04, 2016
Lies from the PIT OF HELL

Has Vanguard become so desperate and partisan that it now engages in brazen deceit and falsehood?

Even as at 2009 (7 years ago), Gudu LGA had at least 2 Secondary schools and about 50 female students.

Peruse the embedded link for more details.
http://www.globalpartnership.org/fr/download/file/fid/46613

One would expect that the newspaper wouldn't be ignorant of the UBE Programme which makes it impossible for any LGA to lack secondary schools. Furthermore, President Shagari hails from Shagari LGA and not Gudu. Professionalism should never be sacrificed on the altar of sensationalism.

While more should be done (and is being done) about those figures, it is SHAMEFUL that Vanguard will descend this low just to sell their papers.

Re: Shocker From Sokoto: Only LGA In Nigeria Without A Secondary School. by Enrichlee(m): 9:50am On Jul 04, 2016
There is Government Secondary School @ Balle, LG capital of Gudu LGA. Junior Sec schl though but OP's topic is misleading

(1) (Reply)

Yoruba...stop Dividing Us. Yoruba I Say...stop Dividing Us & Leave Us Alone! / The Man Who Jailed Fela Anikulapo Kuti... / BREAKING: Buhari Sacks Official Whose Actions Led To Adeboye’s Exit As RCCG Lead

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 53
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.