Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,153,227 members, 7,818,772 topics. Date: Monday, 06 May 2024 at 02:20 AM

Banks In Competitive Forex Trading As Demand For School Fees, Others Shrink - Business - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Business / Banks In Competitive Forex Trading As Demand For School Fees, Others Shrink (16775 Views)

Nigeria’s Dollar Shortage Worsens As Demand For School Fees Abroad Mounts / Naira Appreciates As Demand For Dollar Gets Low / Naira Slides Further As Demand Outweigh Supply (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (Reply) (Go Down)

Banks In Competitive Forex Trading As Demand For School Fees, Others Shrink by Islie: 1:21pm On Jul 04, 2016
By Obinna Chima and Nume Ekeghe

Trading on the recently introduced Nigeria Interbank Foreign Exchange (NIFEX) has revealed huge volume of activities by both commercial and merchant banks with competition among the financial institutions heightening as they seek to satisfy their clients.

The returns on forex utilisation and source of funds (purchases) for the week ended June 24, 2016, which was published by banks last week, also showed that forex demand for the payment of school fees and other invisibles such as personal travel allowance (PTA) and business travel allowance (BTA), that used to be dominant activities, have all thinned out. On the other hand, dollar sales to customers for the importation of industrial raw materials and other visibles dominated activities.

Unlike the previous reporting format where banks were only expected to publish how the forex they purchased from the Central Bank of Nigeria (CBN) are utilised, the new system requires the banks to publish all their forex sales to customers, other sources of funds as well as how those funds are utilised.

Forex consumption is a function of the volume of business a bank does, particularly with the larger corporates and manufacturing firms that use huge chunks of forex. The NIFEX showed the volume of forex traded by banks as they facilitate forex transactions for their clients and in turn make profit from the bid-ask spread.

The returns on forex utilisation and source of fund published by Zenith Bank Plc put the volume of its activities in the week under review at $391,435,283.88. The bank transacted forex business with a total of 1,045 customers during the week. Some of Zenith Bank’s biggest customers were Access Bank Plc -$1 million; Union Bank Plc -$2 million; Dangote Group, and Boulous Enterprises Limited, among others.

Also, Stanbic IBTC Limited put the volume of its activities in the week under review at $332,835,935. The bank transacted business on the NIFEX with a total of 642 customers. Its biggest customers included Prudent Energy Services Limited whom it sold about $14 million to; and Dangote Cement Plc about $26 million, among others.

For Union Bank Plc, the bank which purchased a total of $70,671,666.98 from the CBN, sold a total of $57,946,243 to its customers which in all were 260 (both corporate and individual).

Access Bank Plc’s returns put the volume of its transactions on the NIFEX last week at $657,128,853. The bank transacted business with a total of 934 customers who bought the greenback for the importation of pharmaceutical products, credit card payments, and for the importation of numerous industrial materials.

Similarly, while First City Monument Bank Plc (FCMB) bought a total of $87,693,240 from the central bank and other sources on the NIFEX, it sold $87,119,764 to its customers, majorly for the importation of industrial raw materials.

In the same vein, Diamond Bank Plc’s returns on forex utilisation showed that the bank sold a total of $67,717,460.85 to 451 customers. However, during the week, the bank purchased a total of $67,717,460 from the CBN, Union Bank and First Bank, among others.

Also, United Bank for Africa Plc’s (UBA) returns on forex utilisation put the volume of its forex activities at $406,871,338.03.
This is just as the volume of transactions executed by Fidelity Bank Plc was put at $244,513,202.34. The bank transacted business with 1,007 customers on the NIFEX.

Keystone Bank Limited also recorded a total of $9,156,730.32.

The merchant banks were not left out as the new forex structure also showed an increase in the volume of their activities in the market.

For instance, Rand Merchant Bank’s publication put the amount of forex it sold to its customers at $18,222,890, while it purchased a total of $18,222,890 from forex sources in the market.

Similarly, Coronation Merchant Bank sold $5,428,873 to its customers, just as its returns showed that it purchased $10,883,646 from the CBN and other sources in the market.

http://www.thisdaylive.com/index.php/2016/07/04/banks-in-competitive-fx-trading-as-demand-for-school-fees-others-shrink/

1 Like

Re: Banks In Competitive Forex Trading As Demand For School Fees, Others Shrink by ijustdey: 2:26pm On Jul 04, 2016
this is a good development since those frivolities that do make forex scares had reduced and the core manufacturing compound be able to access forex without much hassle

7 Likes

Re: Banks In Competitive Forex Trading As Demand For School Fees, Others Shrink by suyamasta(m): 2:41pm On Jul 04, 2016
I saw Card payment there o, yet our banks charge way above the official rate for card payments

3 Likes

Re: Banks In Competitive Forex Trading As Demand For School Fees, Others Shrink by snadguy007(m): 3:02pm On Jul 04, 2016
Sorry... Wrong thread. angry
Re: Banks In Competitive Forex Trading As Demand For School Fees, Others Shrink by amiibaby(f): 3:03pm On Jul 04, 2016
Ok
Re: Banks In Competitive Forex Trading As Demand For School Fees, Others Shrink by Built2last: 3:05pm On Jul 04, 2016
My people!!!

How can we report banks to CBN for their terrible and ridiculous card rates.

These guys buy Dollars from CBN at 283-286 and you use your card outside Nigeria. banks want to cut your neck.

The cheapest card rate I know now is Standard chartered and Stanbic IBTC other banks charge as high as 320-340.

How can we report them to CBN to check this crazy charges.

23 Likes 4 Shares

Re: Banks In Competitive Forex Trading As Demand For School Fees, Others Shrink by Ijaya123: 3:06pm On Jul 04, 2016
Sanity finally coming to the market. No more round tripping.

1 Like

Re: Banks In Competitive Forex Trading As Demand For School Fees, Others Shrink by ekmike(m): 3:10pm On Jul 04, 2016
if this mean what I think it does then it's a good one
Re: Banks In Competitive Forex Trading As Demand For School Fees, Others Shrink by Nobody: 3:13pm On Jul 04, 2016
Nonsense report, they post their transactions on dailies with nothing to read again grin

You buy a newspaper and all you see are transactions in dollars and description for more than 50% space embarassed
Re: Banks In Competitive Forex Trading As Demand For School Fees, Others Shrink by BoiledHead(m): 3:14pm On Jul 04, 2016
Built2last:
My people!!!

These guys buy Dollars from CBN at 283-286 and you use your card outside Nigeria. banks want to cut your neck.

The cheapest card rate I know now is Standard chartered and Stanbic IBTC other banks charge as high as 320-340.

Lol you are supposed to source for your own dollars. The banks own the dollars and can sell at any rate they please to card holders using naira card.

Get a dollar card and source your own dollars at 283 too. Lol.

PTA AND BTA payments are sold at 286 by banks to customers. So you that you are doing online shopping it's 320. The online shopping is not part of their official stuff

8 Likes 1 Share

Re: Banks In Competitive Forex Trading As Demand For School Fees, Others Shrink by chinoify: 3:15pm On Jul 04, 2016
ok
Re: Banks In Competitive Forex Trading As Demand For School Fees, Others Shrink by gunpoint(m): 3:15pm On Jul 04, 2016
Built2last:
My people!!!
Is die cry
Re: Banks In Competitive Forex Trading As Demand For School Fees, Others Shrink by dollaflow(m): 3:15pm On Jul 04, 2016
toor
Re: Banks In Competitive Forex Trading As Demand For School Fees, Others Shrink by Nobody: 3:17pm On Jul 04, 2016
Good one. By the time dollar isn't available for even the politicians who send their children abroad for education, they will be forced to upgrade our higher institutions to world class.

4 Likes

Re: Banks In Competitive Forex Trading As Demand For School Fees, Others Shrink by chidi2pus(m): 3:17pm On Jul 04, 2016
I wonder if the things like PTA, BTA and school fees are what really governs the market dynamics.
Demand for fx will inevitably surge north of the 350 price in a few months.

Finally, I hate whatever news doesn't translate into reality for the average man here in Nigeria.
Dollar still 350 at the parallel market and 340 for online shoppers angry

1 Like

Re: Banks In Competitive Forex Trading As Demand For School Fees, Others Shrink by barnaby04(m): 3:18pm On Jul 04, 2016
Our banks have forgotten that we are in the era of change, don't worry guys, very soon, a lot of these banks would start being guests of EFCC to explain these their 419 card deals on us!

2 Likes

Re: Banks In Competitive Forex Trading As Demand For School Fees, Others Shrink by frisky2good(m): 3:21pm On Jul 04, 2016
The banks are allowed to add profit and commission to the price they buy.

Built2last:
My people!!!

Re: Banks In Competitive Forex Trading As Demand For School Fees, Others Shrink by yomz1e(m): 3:24pm On Jul 04, 2016
Seriously something is wrong, if CBN are selling it at £1 to N296 and sterling bank are selling it at over N600 through ATM withdrawal is Theft and unfair . At least GTB is the cheapest but still friggin high, there was time I could get £5k for 1m now it's £2350, and please I don't need any idiot to tell me Buhari is to blame.. We all know who bled our foreign reserve dry before this current administration ..so pls keep ur comments to yourself if it's not positive

latest as of 6:51pm @GTB N444.96 to £1 far better than other dick thurpins

9 Likes 1 Share

Re: Banks In Competitive Forex Trading As Demand For School Fees, Others Shrink by menxer: 3:27pm On Jul 04, 2016
suyamasta:
I saw Card payment there o, yet our banks charge way above the official rate for card payments

That is!
PayPal was/is 330/$
GTBank 340/$

I no see GTBank for the list ooo
Re: Banks In Competitive Forex Trading As Demand For School Fees, Others Shrink by Adesiji77: 3:39pm On Jul 04, 2016
Okay
Re: Banks In Competitive Forex Trading As Demand For School Fees, Others Shrink by sucess001(m): 3:43pm On Jul 04, 2016
Buhari has ruined the economy....

i pray the economy can recover from his 4 year tenure...

#unbelievable!

4 Likes 1 Share

Re: Banks In Competitive Forex Trading As Demand For School Fees, Others Shrink by kolnel: 3:46pm On Jul 04, 2016
Ok
Re: Banks In Competitive Forex Trading As Demand For School Fees, Others Shrink by eleojo23: 3:50pm On Jul 04, 2016
menxer:

That is! PayPal was/is 330/$ GTBank 340/$
GTB is 330/$ through PayPal.
Re: Banks In Competitive Forex Trading As Demand For School Fees, Others Shrink by Realdeals(m): 4:06pm On Jul 04, 2016
CBN knew what the banks are doing to people making purchases online.
We Nigerian are smart, people that make withdrawals in dollars outside Nigeria at N286 can return to sell the same dollar at N350 at the parallel market.

1 Like

Re: Banks In Competitive Forex Trading As Demand For School Fees, Others Shrink by PEREP: 4:12pm On Jul 04, 2016
[quote author=Built2last post=47199671]My people!!!

How can we report them to CBN to check this crazy charges.[/quote

The CBN need to release the hold they have on card pricing or else banks will also run into trouble on Card transactions. The amount charged to your card is not just the USD to Naira rate.

For example, every transaction abroad on an ATM is @ $1.75-$2.25 while CBN insisted on N240 for International ATM withdrawal.
Another example is the switching rates paid on MasterCard/VISA transaction routing which is @ about $1.20 whether it is financial or not. That is, if you do a balance enquiry, the banks are paying
For Balance enquiry itself, banks pay 0.25USD per transaction and trust Nigerians, we just do it without caution and CBN would not allow banks to charge for this

The final amount charged to card is not just a rate of Naira to USD. Card transaction is different from BDC. BDC arrangement have all the party in one location and no added cost incurred while card transactions involve the owner of the terminal, the routing companies in and out of Nigeria, the bank's routing companies acting as TPP and all other banking expenses to facilitate card transaction.

Regards,

2 Likes

Re: Banks In Competitive Forex Trading As Demand For School Fees, Others Shrink by suyamasta(m): 4:12pm On Jul 04, 2016
menxer:

That is!
PayPal was/is 330/$
GTBank 340/$

just imagine the difference 340-282= 58

1 Like

Re: Banks In Competitive Forex Trading As Demand For School Fees, Others Shrink by suyamasta(m): 4:19pm On Jul 04, 2016
frisky2good:
The banks are allowed to add profit and commission to the price they buy.

That is official corruption because the banks dont own the fx CBN gives it to them to enhance trade and settlement not to steal from innocent customers

1 Like

Re: Banks In Competitive Forex Trading As Demand For School Fees, Others Shrink by sammyj: 4:31pm On Jul 04, 2016
This good news. Let me sharperly go and look for money to pay my school fees oooooo. Wailers another round of food has come ooo!!!! grin grin grin
Re: Banks In Competitive Forex Trading As Demand For School Fees, Others Shrink by maxit2(m): 4:41pm On Jul 04, 2016
Will they release forex to someone trying to import a car ? (Brand New). Just Over 100k$.
Am sure they won't. Just asking incase anyone knows for sure.
Re: Banks In Competitive Forex Trading As Demand For School Fees, Others Shrink by 7lives: 6:18pm On Jul 04, 2016
Built2last:
My people!!!

God bless stambic bank.

2 Likes 1 Share

Re: Banks In Competitive Forex Trading As Demand For School Fees, Others Shrink by menxer: 6:36pm On Jul 04, 2016
eleojo23:

GTB is 330/$ through PayPal.

Try buying on Amazon where PayPal is not supported.
Re: Banks In Competitive Forex Trading As Demand For School Fees, Others Shrink by eleojo23: 6:41pm On Jul 04, 2016
menxer:

Try buying on Amazon where PayPal is not supported.
I would have done that but I won't be needing anything from Amazon at the moment.

Have you tried it? How much do they charge?

(1) (2) (Reply)

How To Produce Soaps And Detergent / 2.3 Billion Pieces Of Coins Worth N1.60b In Circulation—cbn / MTN To Buy Visafone Communications

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 45
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.