Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,153,707 members, 7,820,487 topics. Date: Tuesday, 07 May 2024 at 03:40 PM

MTN To Buy Visafone Communications - Business - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Business / MTN To Buy Visafone Communications (16783 Views)

Communications Tax: 25% Of Licensed Operators To Shut Down / Nigeria Does Not Want MTN “to Die” From $5.2bn Fine-Communications Minister / BREAKING NEWS: MTN To Shut Down Nigeria Operations (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) (Reply) (Go Down)

MTN To Buy Visafone Communications by Adesiji77: 10:57pm On Apr 10, 2015
Telecommunication giant MTN Group is in talks to buy Nigeria’s Visafone Communications to solidify its grip in the South African firm’s most important market, sources familiar with the discussions said on Friday.

Wireless-network operator Visafone was set up eight years ago to deliver voice and broadband services through mobile and fixed telecom platforms after business tycoon Jim Ovia, who also founded Zenith Bank, acquired three operators.

“The deal is done. We’re almost putting ink to paper,” a source close to the deal said.

Another source said the talks would conclude “very soon”.

Both sources did not say how much MTN would spend on the purchase and how big a stake in Visafone it would take up.

MTN spokesman Chris Maroleng said the company did not comment on market speculation.

Visafone officials were not immediately available to confirm whether the firm was involved in discussions.

Visafone grew its subscriber base from 30,000 after the acquisitions in 2007, to 2.2 million at the end of 2014, data from the telecom’s regulator showed.

But fixed wireless operators with CDMA technology platforms most suited for broadband and data services have faced stiff competition from more established rivals such as India’s Bharti Airtel, Dubai-based Etisalat and MTN, hitting the industry’s average revenue per user (ARPU).

ARPU, a key gauge of telecoms firms’ competitiveness as well as of consumer spending trends, has declined over the past three years to $5 from $8 as competition deepens.

MTN had nearly 60 million users in Nigeria in 2014, about 27 percent of its entire subscriber base across 22 countries.

Africa’s most populous country is also the biggest contributor to MTN’s revenue, providing more than a third of overall turnover.

MTN shares were down 0.4 percent at 1200 GMT and are flat so far this year.

http://businessdayonline.com/2015/04/mtn-to-buy-visafone-communications/#.VSgl6vnF-Pw
Re: MTN To Buy Visafone Communications by HAkorehdeh(m): 11:07pm On Apr 10, 2015
Nice one then.

modified

Wow,

FTC for the first time. grin grin grin

1 Like 2 Shares

Re: MTN To Buy Visafone Communications by Nobody: 11:15pm On Apr 10, 2015
Mtn is yet to fix alot of things in its network & it wants to purchase visafone

God na ur hand I dey oh.

Just wonderin how many more messages & d unwarranted deductions I will be gettin in a day wen that ink is finally put to paper.

embarassed

9 Likes 1 Share

Re: MTN To Buy Visafone Communications by Nobody: 11:21pm On Apr 10, 2015
I doubt this news. Visafone is rich itself. The owner is a rich man and he owns different companies. I don't see him selling of his biggest assets
Re: MTN To Buy Visafone Communications by maybach19892(m): 12:57am On Apr 11, 2015
grin
Re: MTN To Buy Visafone Communications by Nobody: 7:54am On Apr 11, 2015
Not a bad move. Visafone already dead

1 Like

Re: MTN To Buy Visafone Communications by holluwai(m): 7:54am On Apr 11, 2015
Mtn!!!!!

Jim ovia can't invest in visafone anymore?
Re: MTN To Buy Visafone Communications by tolustx(m): 7:54am On Apr 11, 2015
O boy...
Re: MTN To Buy Visafone Communications by bigt2(m): 7:54am On Apr 11, 2015
angry so they will now put the silly girl that use to say one minute remaining there too abi? What is wrong with empty hen?

20 Likes 2 Shares

Re: MTN To Buy Visafone Communications by niceguy7(m): 7:56am On Apr 11, 2015
Mtn with money

1 Like

Re: MTN To Buy Visafone Communications by tivereegega(m): 7:57am On Apr 11, 2015
HMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMM
MTN| SILENT FIRST
Re: MTN To Buy Visafone Communications by Zico5(m): 7:57am On Apr 11, 2015
That is a good development, I think buying visafone will reduce call rate, and bring about affordable data plan

2 Likes

Re: MTN To Buy Visafone Communications by ayusco85(m): 7:58am On Apr 11, 2015
But its non of my business.......

In other news......

Re: MTN To Buy Visafone Communications by slap1(m): 7:59am On Apr 11, 2015
We need affordable data plans.
Re: MTN To Buy Visafone Communications by olojuede01: 8:00am On Apr 11, 2015
Ok na.. Make dem buy am
Re: MTN To Buy Visafone Communications by Agbegilodo: 8:00am On Apr 11, 2015
ollah1:
I doubt this news. Visafone is rich itself. The owner is a rich man and he owns different companies. I don't see him selling of his biggest assets

My dear friend. ... Please don't venture into business as your post has displayed that you have egocentric tendencies. .
The fact that the owner is rich has nothing to do with the potential sale of the company. If the offer is right, he will sell the company and move on. What stops him from using the money to set up some other business franchise? ??

29 Likes 4 Shares

Re: MTN To Buy Visafone Communications by boman2014: 8:01am On Apr 11, 2015
not MTN
Re: MTN To Buy Visafone Communications by gistmelove(m): 8:03am On Apr 11, 2015
Ok
Re: MTN To Buy Visafone Communications by akanoye15: 8:03am On Apr 11, 2015
visa fone please dont do this to me, i have been using your modem for 5years now and never had issues. selling to mtn now will make me move to france cry cry cry cry cry cry cry

5 Likes 1 Share

Re: MTN To Buy Visafone Communications by akanoye15: 8:04am On Apr 11, 2015
for how much or which mtn card? grin grin grin grin grin grin grin
quicklink1:
:::
Re: MTN To Buy Visafone Communications by jerrysayo(m): 8:06am On Apr 11, 2015
How much?
Re: MTN To Buy Visafone Communications by jamillion: 8:07am On Apr 11, 2015
They actually whant to buy off competition.

2 Likes 1 Share

Re: MTN To Buy Visafone Communications by Nobody: 8:08am On Apr 11, 2015
This is bad news.
Re: MTN To Buy Visafone Communications by Bawsse(m): 8:08am On Apr 11, 2015
Oh goodie!!! More unsolicited messages for usgrin

2 Likes

Re: MTN To Buy Visafone Communications by kilmix: 8:10am On Apr 11, 2015
Empty En...

I guess the only thing left to buy in Visafone is their old dilapidated building plus dead mast, if any.

Bad deal. Bad business.

MTN world record for the most stingy network provider... even South Africans are complaining.

3 Likes 1 Share

Re: MTN To Buy Visafone Communications by Vstuffs(m): 8:10am On Apr 11, 2015
Bad News no more visaphone BIS unlimited again

1 Like 1 Share

Re: MTN To Buy Visafone Communications by pat077: 8:14am On Apr 11, 2015
why they no buy starcom or Onet.

1 Like

Re: MTN To Buy Visafone Communications by Deiok(m): 8:15am On Apr 11, 2015
Let the monopoly of market begins.

1 Like 1 Share

Re: MTN To Buy Visafone Communications by Fynline(m): 8:17am On Apr 11, 2015
MTN has already bought VISA. I Knw a friend who works with visa but was laid off about 2 weeks ago for this same reason.
Re: MTN To Buy Visafone Communications by MasterJayJay: 8:18am On Apr 11, 2015
Nooo!!!
Re: MTN To Buy Visafone Communications by omanifrank(m): 8:20am On Apr 11, 2015
ok na

(1) (2) (3) (Reply)

How To Produce Soaps And Detergent / Tony Elumelu At A Senate Meeting In France. Photos / Prices Of Selected Food Stuff Decreased In March – Nbs

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 21
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.