Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,166,842 members, 7,866,275 topics. Date: Thursday, 20 June 2024 at 02:15 PM

Why Every Rational Person Must Accept Evolution. - Religion - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Religion / Why Every Rational Person Must Accept Evolution. (678 Views)

Religion Has Killed Rational Thinking Of This Country - Prof. Osundare / Shocking ; Ex Muslim Cleric Says Muslims Must Accept Christ / Why Rational People Have Irrational Beliefs (2) (3) (4)

(1) (Reply) (Go Down)

Why Every Rational Person Must Accept Evolution. by huxley(m): 9:03am On Sep 08, 2009
Re: Why Every Rational Person Must Accept Evolution. by DeepSight(m): 8:06pm On Sep 08, 2009
I believe to some degree there must be some sort of evolution, although i am convinced it could only have occured under intelligent supernatural direction.

Nevertheless, untill you can show me anywhere in the fossil record where there appears a giraffe with a neck half or two thirds the length of the neck of a modern giraffe (in order to show intermediate evolutionary progression), there remain questions to be answered by the Evolution Theory.

Are you also able to show fossils with half developed limbs (e.g fish on the intermediate progression into reptiles).

Or do you imagine the legs would have sprung out suddenly one sunny day in June.

There must be fossils showing intermediate stages otherwise there are problems. . .
Re: Why Every Rational Person Must Accept Evolution. by Krayola2(m): 8:30pm On Sep 08, 2009
Deep Sight:

Nevertheless, untill you can show me anywhere in the fossil record where there appears a giraffe with a neck half or two thirds the length of the neck of a modern giraffe (in order to show intermediate evolutionary progression), there remain questions to be answered by the Evolution Theory.

Are you also able to show fossils with half developed limbs (e.g fish on the intermediate progression into reptiles).

Or do you imagine the legs would have sprung out suddenly one sunny day in June.

There must be fossils showing intermediate stages otherwise there are problems. . .

If u can sit thru all 6 parts, it's pretty cool shit

[flash=400,400]
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=CQUP03vL5Gk&hl=en&fs=1&[/flash]
Re: Why Every Rational Person Must Accept Evolution. by bindex(m): 8:52pm On Sep 08, 2009
Deep Sight:

I believe to some degree there must be some sort of evolution, although i am convinced it could only have occured under intelligent supernatural direction.

That is the same problem I have with the theory too many assumptions and subjective suppositions.
Re: Why Every Rational Person Must Accept Evolution. by huxley(m): 10:29pm On Sep 08, 2009
bindex:

That is the same problem I have with the theory too many assumptions and subjective suppositions.

Any example of the assumptions and subjective suppositions you have a problem with? Any why they are a problem?
Re: Why Every Rational Person Must Accept Evolution. by mazaje(m): 5:45pm On Sep 09, 2009
@ Huxley

Why are things not evolving any more grin? Or has evolution stopped? Why don't birds for example evolve into something else? I was watching a documentary on national geographic about the salmon. . . the live a very inefficent life style having to migrate to where they were born to reproduce  while coming across a lot of danger on the way(a lot of them die in the process of migrating). . . if evolution is true why don't they evolve into something else and avoid these inefficent life style. . . .
Re: Why Every Rational Person Must Accept Evolution. by huxley(m): 6:38pm On Sep 09, 2009
mazaje:

@ Huxley

Why are things not evolving any more grin? Or has evolution stopped? Why don't birds for example evolve into something else? I was watching a documentary on national geographic about the salmon. . . the live a very inefficent life style having to migrate to where they were born to reproduce  while coming across a lot of danger on the way(a lot of them die in the process of migrating). . . if evolution is true why don't they evolve into something else and avoid these inefficent life style. . . .

Hello Maz,

The key to understanding evolution is to realise the elements that almost certainly "guarantees" the evolution of a specie.

1) Genetic variation
2) Selection pressure
3) Time
4) (Possibly Genetic drift)

With this three elements present in a given ecosystem, evolution is almost certainly going to happen. It happens right now, all the time. Think of all the global scares about bird flu, swine flue, HIV, and many other bacteria/viruses resistance to drugs. How do these creatures develop such resistance? Basically, all of the first three of the above elements (plus possibly genetic drift) play a part in evolving new species of bacteria/viruses that are drug resistance. This sort of evolution that does not create new bodyplan and morphologies is generally called micro-evolution.

Macro-evolution, the generation of new bodyplans, takes a long long time, certainly longer than a human life span. If you undertand how evolution works, then you will see why it makes no sense to ask questions like;

1) Why don't we see a hippo turning into a whale?

or, as you put it,

2) A bird turn into something else?

There are two answers to this:

1) Animals like hippos, birds, etc, are vastly complex animals than bacteria/viruses and therefore to change their bodyplan would require rather more changes at the genetic level.

2) The creation of a new bodyplan takes a long time, something that is difficult to see in animals with long generational life span.

So if these animals are currently evolving, you would not see it. But as long as the same types of selection pressures continue to exist, your grandchildren 5 million years from now would see the new animals descended from present animals. For examples of macro-evolution happen within (a few) human life spans, check out the following;

1) The evolution in Sticklebacks, http://www.hhmi.org/genesweshare/e120.html

2) Evolution of The Nylon eating bacteria
Re: Why Every Rational Person Must Accept Evolution. by naylove(m): 7:30pm On Sep 09, 2009
@ Mazaje, lovely response.
evolution should be a continous process.

now i know why my social studies teacher looked like a baboon. her face evolved without her body
Re: Why Every Rational Person Must Accept Evolution. by huxley(m): 10:16am On Sep 10, 2009
Maz,

Take a look at this http://www.springerlink.com/content/120878/ for more info about evolution.

(1) (Reply)

Jesus Christ-a Social Critic or son of God? / Reasonless Intelligence? ? ? / Tbj Lays A Challenge:

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 24
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.