Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,154,543 members, 7,823,380 topics. Date: Friday, 10 May 2024 at 09:20 AM

Religion Has Killed Rational Thinking Of This Country - Prof. Osundare - Religion - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Religion / Religion Has Killed Rational Thinking Of This Country - Prof. Osundare (33283 Views)

'Religion Has Done More Harm To Man Than Technology' - Twitter User Says / How Can A Doctor Believe He Saw D Ghost Of A Patient? Religion Has Killed Naija! / Religion Has Killed Rational Thinking Of This Country - Prof. Osundare (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10) ... (13) (Reply) (Go Down)

Religion Has Killed Rational Thinking Of This Country - Prof. Osundare by TheGreenDay: 11:53am On Jan 03, 2016
"Religion has killed rational thinking in this country. I say this all the time, our country is still in a pre-scientific era. That is why things are like this. We don’t think logically; that is why any ruler, any fool would seize the reins and rule us, because we would always find an excuse for being ruled or being led by the nose.

Not long ago a pastor said he was between two cities and he discovered that the fuel in his car had run out. He actually checked and saw the fuel in the car was completely gone. But because of his act of faith and on the strength of his prayers, he was able to do two hundred miles on an empty tank!

When he declared this testimony, people clapped and shouted “ Hallelujah!” I never heard anybody say how can?"

"Nigerians don’t ask questions; that is why the imams and the pastors lead them by the nose, and the politicians also complete their humiliation and disempowerment. And between the clerics and the political functionaries, there is a very close liaison.

It’s a kind of power structure; one controls the political, social realm, the other controls the spiritual, metaphysical realm and they are together. Many Nigerians are not rational, interrogative people.

In fact, in this country today, if you are the interrogative type you are easily labelled, branded, and condemned. People even wonder: why are you always asking questions?"

"Another problem: well, our people are docile and the reason why they take all kinds of cheating is that many of them envisage themselves in the position of power someday, too.

If I am X and the oppressor is Y, and the oppressor is oppressing me, stealing all the money, and making life difficult for me and my children, I am not likely to attack him. I’ll pray to God to let my own “miracle” happen so that someday, he will go and I will be in his place. No; I am praying for him to go but for the structure to remain."

Professor rNiyi Osundare (born in 1947 in Ikere-Ekiti, Ekiti State, Nigeria) is a prolific poet, dramatist and literary critic. He gained degrees at the University of Ibadan (BA), the University of Leeds (MA) and York University, Canada (PhD, 1979). Previously professor (from 1989) and Head of English (1993–97) at the University of Ibadan, he became professor of English at the University of New Orleans in 1997. Niyi has a wife, Kemi, and three children, two girls and a son who still lives in Nigeria. His deaf daughter is the real reason Niyi settled in the United States. She could not go to school in Nigeria so they found a school in the U.S. for her. They moved with her so Niyi and Kemi could be closer to her.

He has always been a vehement champion of the right to free speech and is a strong believer in the power of words, saying, "to utter is to alter". Osundare is renowned for his commitment to socially relevant art and artistic activism.

MPX @metropolexpress

3rd January, 2016

http://metropolexpress.com/entertainment/lifestyle/item/5728-religion-has-killed-rational-thinking-of-this-country-prof-niyi-osundare

133 Likes 28 Shares

Re: Religion Has Killed Rational Thinking Of This Country - Prof. Osundare by dominique(f): 12:06pm On Jan 03, 2016
He does have a point. We're too over-religious in this country yet so many atrocities are being committed all accross the regions.

127 Likes 4 Shares

Re: Religion Has Killed Rational Thinking Of This Country - Prof. Osundare by lasisi69(f): 12:08pm On Jan 03, 2016
Exactly...

20 Likes

Re: Religion Has Killed Rational Thinking Of This Country - Prof. Osundare by HonourablePomk: 12:08pm On Jan 03, 2016
That's true

17 Likes

Re: Religion Has Killed Rational Thinking Of This Country - Prof. Osundare by Mopolchi: 12:08pm On Jan 03, 2016
Supported! Supported!! Supported!!! Africans believe anything now without questioning the tenability of their beliefs. The other day someone to me that God spoke to his pastor. I asked him how is it possible to hear a spirit? He became bemused. God, the last time I checked, is a spirit we neither see, hear nor touch. Karl Marx referred to religion as an opium of the people. Yes, one that sedates their rational capacity and make them live sheepishly.

51 Likes 6 Shares

Re: Religion Has Killed Rational Thinking Of This Country - Prof. Osundare by Ruq: 12:08pm On Jan 03, 2016
It has Killed more than That. I sometimes thinks it stunts intelligence, but to those who really understand, it is needed in a society despite its shortcomings.

22 Likes 1 Share

Re: Religion Has Killed Rational Thinking Of This Country - Prof. Osundare by Nobody: 12:09pm On Jan 03, 2016
Very very true. I weep for my country

15 Likes

Re: Religion Has Killed Rational Thinking Of This Country - Prof. Osundare by fairari022(m): 12:09pm On Jan 03, 2016
people's thinking is now based on what their religious tutor said, instead of common sense

We are in trouble

36 Likes

Re: Religion Has Killed Rational Thinking Of This Country - Prof. Osundare by Carrottop(m): 12:09pm On Jan 03, 2016
Very much on point sir... Religion is actually the bane of our country as we seems tho have this holier than thou attitude... We are more Catholic than the Pope sef

11 Likes

Re: Religion Has Killed Rational Thinking Of This Country - Prof. Osundare by eleojo23: 12:09pm On Jan 03, 2016
I think Africans/Nigerians generally are too lazy to think because logical thinking is hard work so they use religious sentiments as an excuse.
The Scriptures say that God has given the earth to the sons of men to dominate.
But we prefer to push all our responsibilities to God rather than engage our god-given resources (such as our brains) to think out solutions to problems.
All too often we call on God to come and do for us what he has already given us the power to do.
For instance, how is God going to come down and help us build roads?
Don't we have the money and resources to do that already? If we have not been able to construct roads despite all the available resources, it is because our house is not in order. We should simply get our acts together and do the correct thing rather than disturbing the peace of the Almighty with prayers.
At a particular time, when Moses was in doubt of his abilities, God asked him, "what do you have in your hand?"
The same way he is asking Nigerians "why do you always cry to me concerning the state of your country? What happened to all the resources I have blessed you with?"
Let us learn to use our God given resources properly first and if after using those resources properly we are still in need of help, then God will come in.

62 Likes 6 Shares

Re: Religion Has Killed Rational Thinking Of This Country - Prof. Osundare by missionmex(m): 12:09pm On Jan 03, 2016
Think ur own, make I think my own. Why should I think like you.

4 Likes

Re: Religion Has Killed Rational Thinking Of This Country - Prof. Osundare by adedam007(m): 12:10pm On Jan 03, 2016
T
Re: Religion Has Killed Rational Thinking Of This Country - Prof. Osundare by Nobody: 12:10pm On Jan 03, 2016
Very true.
That's how somebody's half tank dried up in less than 10km after his car was hijacked... grin

I went for a condolence visit on Sat, this lady lost her baby. She was having prolonged labour and her pastor said she shouldn't be operated on, that she would deliver like the Hebrew women (this very Hebrew women, did he see how they all delivered?) They all came to the hospital and started praying_ the husband refused to give consent, she sef wanted to push.

Well, she finally pushed. She pushed a stillborn cry

Mehn, I hate religious extremists.

76 Likes 15 Shares

Re: Religion Has Killed Rational Thinking Of This Country - Prof. Osundare by Seuncoded(f): 12:10pm On Jan 03, 2016
Alright sir
Re: Religion Has Killed Rational Thinking Of This Country - Prof. Osundare by marshalcarter: 12:11pm On Jan 03, 2016
Pls sum1 shu teach me how to post a topic
Re: Religion Has Killed Rational Thinking Of This Country - Prof. Osundare by Nobody: 12:11pm On Jan 03, 2016
Just like how frank edward's car mysteriously dried up.

Edward needs to meet a mechanic to fix up his car's fuel meter.
My dad once had a car like that.the indicator was always on full

14 Likes 2 Shares

Re: Religion Has Killed Rational Thinking Of This Country - Prof. Osundare by Demmocrats(m): 12:11pm On Jan 03, 2016
Well that's true that's why we Nigerians hardly produce any world class scientist but the author in a way sounding like Nnamdi KANU from his write up he is citing revolution to cease power and make change.

That's true besides heaven helps those who help themselves. Revolution for now is under pending because I see a light in charge of Nigerian affairs let's just give me time and pray for him to succeed.

Sai buhari

3 Likes 1 Share

Re: Religion Has Killed Rational Thinking Of This Country - Prof. Osundare by Phonon: 12:11pm On Jan 03, 2016
Here comes the fanatics that will call the man names......

13 Likes 1 Share

Re: Religion Has Killed Rational Thinking Of This Country - Prof. Osundare by winner01(m): 12:12pm On Jan 03, 2016
People no longer strive to know God, Religion is enough for most people. Its why hypocrisy, crime and all sorts of negatives abound.

There is a difference between serving God and practising religion.
Man has indeed forgotten God.
Drop religion and embrace truth.
God bless you

27 Likes 6 Shares

Re: Religion Has Killed Rational Thinking Of This Country - Prof. Osundare by kayabd(m): 12:12pm On Jan 03, 2016
Na so prof

2 Likes 1 Share

Re: Religion Has Killed Rational Thinking Of This Country - Prof. Osundare by odinese(m): 12:12pm On Jan 03, 2016
agreed

1 Like

Re: Religion Has Killed Rational Thinking Of This Country - Prof. Osundare by MrHighSea: 12:12pm On Jan 03, 2016
Tell dem

1 Like

Re: Religion Has Killed Rational Thinking Of This Country - Prof. Osundare by Kizyte(m): 12:12pm On Jan 03, 2016
True Talk!

1 Like

Re: Religion Has Killed Rational Thinking Of This Country - Prof. Osundare by goodlifehyd(m): 12:12pm On Jan 03, 2016
Kachisbarbie:
Very true.
That's how somebody's half tank dried up in less than 10km after his car was hijacked... grin
After buying petrol mixed with kerosene from black market.

Imagine someone having appendicitis and was told by one gullible pastor not to visit the hospital nor take medications, when the case got critically worse he was taken to hospital but died of ruptured appendicitis. May God open the eyes of our people

11 Likes 1 Share

Re: Religion Has Killed Rational Thinking Of This Country - Prof. Osundare by princemillla(m): 12:12pm On Jan 03, 2016
You are right. If you want to tackle problem start from the house of God. But unfortunately, people no longer respect God Himself again. Smh

May God lead us right
Re: Religion Has Killed Rational Thinking Of This Country - Prof. Osundare by lanxlot(m): 12:13pm On Jan 03, 2016
he talk sense sha...me sha bliv in God n in miracles so I cannot stupidly ask how can? if a pastor says he covered several metres without feul...I fit jux observe am critically....doh! in summary we need more Socrates, Aristotles and Platos...Dat aside.
in response to some of the comments av read, if una like, make una talk frm nw to tomorrow...virtually all developed countries passed through dix stage. Even USA...from prescientific to scientific...2 me if naijax case is perculiar, religion isnt d peril or d bane ..examine your conscience...we say but do not act. we r selfish, we are greedy, we are corrupt, we are wicked...we are inhumane, we are foolish, extrimism contributed its quota I tend to agree...but excuse me...in its entirety don't put the blame on religion..."know thysef". Socrate.

5 Likes 2 Shares

Re: Religion Has Killed Rational Thinking Of This Country - Prof. Osundare by Nobody: 12:13pm On Jan 03, 2016
So true,many people are blinded by religion.

Imagine a pastor said I should give a month salary to God,without removing a dime.

I asked myself,how will I survive for one month without money.

I stopped the church.

Will the pastor feed me for one month?

42 Likes 9 Shares

Re: Religion Has Killed Rational Thinking Of This Country - Prof. Osundare by Rexphobia(m): 12:13pm On Jan 03, 2016
Religion is the opium of the masses

7 Likes

Re: Religion Has Killed Rational Thinking Of This Country - Prof. Osundare by adora4u1: 12:13pm On Jan 03, 2016
I couldn't have said it better! A situation when mature adults need the consent of their pastors before they can "mess", is worrisome!

33 Likes 4 Shares

Re: Religion Has Killed Rational Thinking Of This Country - Prof. Osundare by superior1: 12:13pm On Jan 03, 2016
Nonsense remains so even if spoken by a distinguished scholar. Does the acclaimed intellectual have any empirical data to back his claim, can he show us any verified research that support his claims

The Prof is a fool

2 Likes 1 Share

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10) ... (13) (Reply)

Unbelievable: Even In Jail, Rev King Still Controls Minds Of Nigerians / 22 Doctrinal Beliefs Of Deeper Life Church / Pastors And Alfa Asked Me To Bring Money For Deliverance-i'm Tired

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 35
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.