Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,152,887 members, 7,817,613 topics. Date: Saturday, 04 May 2024 at 03:32 PM

Which State Website Is The Best? - Webmasters - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Science/Technology / Webmasters / Which State Website Is The Best? (1813 Views)

Let's Design ur Website ,business without Corporate Website is meaningless.. / Live In Akure, Ondo State! Website Flipping Seminar 1.0. / The Official Imo State Website (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (Reply) (Go Down)

Which State Website Is The Best? by yawatide(f): 9:51am On Sep 08, 2009
IMHO, I think it is http://www.ondostate.gov.ng/ (no remoranger gimmick intended grin)

In particular, scroll down to the bottom of the page and click on the thumbnail featuring mimiko and ekwueme.

I need to hire the person who did this ASAP.

What do you all think?
Re: Which State Website Is The Best? by Afam(m): 10:04am On Sep 08, 2009
yawa-ti-de:

IMHO, I think it is http://www.ondostate.gov.ng/ (no remoranger gimmick intended grin)

In particular, scroll down to the bottom of the page and click on the thumbnail featuring mimiko and ekwueme.

I need to hire the person who did this ASAP.

What do you all think?

In fact, what the guy did with the thumbnail is wonderful. That must be pure magic!
Re: Which State Website Is The Best? by biggjoe(m): 2:17pm On Sep 08, 2009
I just called the guy and informed him about that thumbnail 'malfunction'.

U never know, little things like that can ruin someone's career.

Phew!!
Re: Which State Website Is The Best? by candylips(m): 2:41pm On Sep 08, 2009
Afam:

In fact, what the guy did with the thumbnail is wonderful. That must be pure magic!

grin
Re: Which State Website Is The Best? by yawatide(f): 2:49pm On Sep 08, 2009
good job biggjoe!

I knew that, as with other sites with issues that I bring up here, eventually the news would get to the right person. Yep, such could definitely lead to an ended career as well as (in an ideal country anyways grin) cost someone an election.

What even took my busy-body there? I read in one of the online papers that Ondo state had opened up a condolence register for the late Gani. So I thought that naturally, a link to such a register (or even Afam's) would be on their site). Of course, my in-born curiosity took over from there grin

Case closed. Now off to another site to find faults with cool
Re: Which State Website Is The Best? by kehers(m): 2:56pm On Sep 08, 2009
@biggjoe
You did the right thing man. 2 big thumbs up to you. That wouldnt av been intentional. It most def must av been a hack or trojan, which might have come from the server. This is the internet, shit happens.
Re: Which State Website Is The Best? by kehers(m): 2:59pm On Sep 08, 2009
@yawatide
So why didnt u take up d task to notify d person in charge in the first instance? Is it dat u find fun in doing this? Just asking, coz wat u just did might av cost someone his job.
Re: Which State Website Is The Best? by yawatide(f): 4:03pm On Sep 08, 2009
1) I am not in Nigeria and unlike naija phones, you don't just pick up a phone and call direct

2) based on past experience, chances are that if I filled the email form, it wouldn't go anywhere

3) I don't find fun in doing this. I do it out of love and by the way, I am not paid

4) The guy would have fired himself cos a website doesn't end with you collecting the check. Unless maintenance wasn't part of the deal, he is to check for such problems on a regular basis. Heck, there are sites that I am hosting now that I also developed and for which I got squared ages ago and guess what? I still visit such sites on a regular basis to fix issues. So again, the guy would have fired himself and this is probably a good thing as perhaps the next person in charge would be more qualified.

Folks, web dev is and should be treated like a profession, not something you do for fun or kicks.
Re: Which State Website Is The Best? by Afam(m): 4:19pm On Sep 08, 2009
kehers:

@yawatide
So why didnt u take up d task to notify d person in charge in the first instance? Is it dat u find fun in doing this? Just asking, coz wat u just did might av cost someone his job.

Until we begin to see web development as a professional thing the industry will not progress.

Someone was paid to do a job and you expect another person to call the person before he can correct an error or a mistake.

Didn't the developer and/or the client test the website before concluding on the project?
Re: Which State Website Is The Best? by Syvalam(m): 6:43pm On Sep 11, 2009
afam i still dont see what is wrong in correcting a colleague , we are meant to fill in for anoda where possible and more also individual is always blind to his/her fault anyway thanks yawa-tide for the obvervation though it appears as you making gess of ds developer.
Re: Which State Website Is The Best? by yawatide(f): 7:15pm On Sep 11, 2009
Syvalam:
1) It isn't my job to correct him. I am not paid to audit their site. They should have a quality assurance department which either would have caught this b4 site launch or during routine browsing of the site.

2) Even if I were to do it, as a concerned citizen, I visited the contact page and found nothing but phone numbers and a suspicious-looking email address. I can't call cos I am not there and I don't want to waste my time writing an email which, based on experience from other state govt websites, no one will answer

3) Based on previous experience, issues I bring up on this board end up getting to concerned parties so I am used to using this avenue to vent.

Thanks,
Re: Which State Website Is The Best? by obinna79: 8:19am On Sep 12, 2009
http://www.bauchistategov.com/ is under construction
Re: Which State Website Is The Best? by yawatide(f): 10:15am On Sep 12, 2009
obinna:
1) How can a site be under construction and for sale at the same time?
2) Which is the official site: http://www.bauchistategov.org/ or http://www.bauchistategov.com/ undecided undecided undecided undecided
Re: Which State Website Is The Best? by Afam(m): 10:34am On Sep 12, 2009
Syvalam:

afam i still dont see what is wrong in correcting a colleague , we are meant to fill in for anoda where possible and more also individual is always blind to his/her fault anyway thanks yawa-tide for the obvervation though it appears as you making gess of ds developer.

Hi Syvalam,

I didn't say there was anything wrong in correcting a colleague. My response was to the comment that asked why yawatide did not take up the task to notify the person. Such questions are unfair because it is not anyone's job to do so.

yawa-ti-de:

obinna:
1) How can a site be under construction and for sale at the same time?
2) Which is the official site: http://www.bauchistategov.org/ or http://www.bauchistategov.com/ undecided undecided undecided undecided

Seems http://www.bauchistategov.com is a trial presentation to the governor as stated on the website.
Re: Which State Website Is The Best? by yawatide(f): 11:00am On Sep 12, 2009
hmmm, so if I wanted to spend my vacation in bauchi, googled for it and found both sites, which would I believe? undecided undecided

I guess my point is, if one is the official and the other is a trial, why not hide the trial say, via a subdomain or an intranet, pending when trial is over?

It is like www.akwaibomstategov.com and www.aksgonline.com - the latter is the official site but someone who is unfamiliar with the situation would be left confused.
Re: Which State Website Is The Best? by smartsoft(m): 3:07pm On Sep 12, 2009
have you check ma state ? imo state http://www.imostate.gov.ng !!! believe it men we rule d world
Re: Which State Website Is The Best? by yawatide(f): 5:12pm On Sep 12, 2009
smart:

Who would dare forget the greenest website east of the niger? tongue
Re: Which State Website Is The Best? by remoranger(m): 5:37pm On Sep 12, 2009
Going Green grin grin grin
Re: Which State Website Is The Best? by Mustay(m): 7:30am On Sep 14, 2009
Wahala dey. . .
Re: Which State Website Is The Best? by SamMilla1(m): 11:14pm On Sep 14, 2009
Re: Which State Website Is The Best? by yawatide(f): 2:39am On Sep 15, 2009
Another green website. I guess every state now wants to jump on the conservation bandwagon or is it the new rebranding for websites?

I can see it now, "Naija websites - green color, great enthusiasm" tongue
Re: Which State Website Is The Best? by candylips(m): 9:57am On Sep 15, 2009
green slime
Re: Which State Website Is The Best? by ohisng(m): 3:24pm On Sep 15, 2009
How can u talk of powerful websites and not mention the one of Edo State- www.edostate.gov.ng
The website has contents, pictures and regular updates
Edo for life
Re: Which State Website Is The Best? by yawatide(f): 4:18pm On Sep 15, 2009
ohisng:

we all know that you are turning this into a "my state's site is better than yours" thing tongue

IMHO, the enugu site is better than edo's (I am from neither state). I know Oshiomole has a reputation of being fiscally prudent (kudos to him) but it shouldn't translate to a website (tell him I said that) grin
Re: Which State Website Is The Best? by netpro(m): 5:09pm On Sep 15, 2009
How about the new www. for Enugu State. It carries information and development about the State.

Features includes News items with image thumbnails, Classified ad section, shoutout box, video, audio, Slide show for some number of the latest listings and more. A community forum will be come integrated soon. Happy viewing!
Re: Which State Website Is The Best? by yawatide(f): 6:03pm On Sep 15, 2009
netpro:

I am dealing currently with ** official state websites **. So which of the 2 for enugu is official?
Re: Which State Website Is The Best? by netpro(m): 5:54pm On Sep 17, 2009
@ yawa-ti-de
http://www.enugustate.gov.ng/ is official, while www. is a personal initiative to promote the interest of Enugu State.
Re: Which State Website Is The Best? by lojik(m): 10:09am On Sep 19, 2009
Here comes the center of excellence:
http://www.lagosstate.gov.ng/
Eko oni baje
Re: Which State Website Is The Best? by yawatide(f): 12:02pm On Sep 19, 2009
lojik:

This thread was started as a sarcastic one and I was about to blast you for not realizing it.  I guess I should have put "best" in quotes for emphasis.  However, having seen the LASG website, I go calm down. 

The last time I visited it, last year I think, it was horrible and took forever to load.  I thought that is what I was about to see again but I was mistaken.  It is indeed the best that I have seen to date.  There are a few errors here and there (for instance, the video on the home page says, "Error"wink but the color combo and sheer simplicity and interactivity made me overlook it the first time around.

If you know who did the site, tell them say I troway salute. Hopefully, other SGs will see this and use it as a benchmark to improve their own respective sites  grin
Re: Which State Website Is The Best? by Afam(m): 1:55pm On Sep 19, 2009
The former Lagos state website was based on a framework that was very bad but was being defended by someone that claimed to be a seasoned programmer (logica) who I had heated argument with and as usual it resulted into name calling instead of addressing the issues raised about the many problems of the framework.

Someone had complained about the website at http://www.nigeriavillagesquare.com/forum/tech-world/15668-who-fooling-around-lagos-state-government-website.html earlier.

https://www.nairaland.com/nigeria/topic-167598.0.html

@Afam,

You r right. The Lagos state government website runs on Liferay, and this seems 2 be a vindication of what I had said. The fact that a link takes you to Liferay's website is the fault of the portal developer. I have done plenty of work with Liferay and I would not make such a mistake. obviously the developer is an upstart, he/she didn't attempt 2 change the logo on the login page. matter of fact, the login page can be replaced but he/she had no idea of how 2 go about it. this is exactly what i did 4 a portal i did for VANSO Nigeria Ltd only that i'm not sure of the status of the portal @ this point.

And note that I said that I don't believe we are short of programmers or developers. The jobs are there of course, but simply because you feel that you r being swamped doesn't imply there is a shortage of man-power. of course there r just 2 many mediocre developers here in the country, as there are (believe it or not) in the US.

Today, we know better. It is obvious other people made it clear that the state would no longer tolerate the former site.

This is good development because website owners are now taking notice of what is happening on their websites and questions are beginning to come up concerning certain things.
Re: Which State Website Is The Best? by yawatide(f): 9:27pm On Sep 19, 2009
Afam, I remember that "world war" very well tongue

As you've said, hopefully clients are finally getting it and are getting knowledgeable themselves. As I have predicted some time ago for the Nigerian web dev environment, at some point clients will start saying, "okay now I have a website. I don't really like it and I want someone who can make it better".

This is where I strongly hope that your website, www.nigeriawebsiteblunders.com, will have a major impact.

(1) (2) (Reply)

How To Get Thousands Of Members To Your Facebook Group / P2p Script Available For 10k / Optimize Your Website For Mobile Platform (SEO For Mobile Technique)

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 41
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.