Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,154,003 members, 7,821,518 topics. Date: Wednesday, 08 May 2024 at 02:14 PM

Ambodewhy# CACOL, condemned the ban on str - Politics - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Politics / Ambodewhy# CACOL, condemned the ban on str (1504 Views)

2019: Buhari Remains Best Presidential Candidate For Nigeria – CACOL / Buhari Condemned The Saudi Attacks But Skip The Baghdad Attacks / Ban On Hawking: Traders Arrested In Lagos (Pic) (2) (3) (4)

(1) (Reply) (Go Down)

Ambodewhy# CACOL, condemned the ban on str by rexericx(m): 10:54pm On Jul 04, 2016
LagosHawkersPolicy @AkinwunmiAmbode needs to set up alternatives.

Have you considered this? if youth don't have to hawk when there is no one to help, they could venture into evil activities just to survive.

Provide alternative measures

#AmbodeWHY#

The Coalition Against Corrupt Leaders, CACOL, on Monday condemned the ban on street trading by Governor Akinwunmi Ambode of Lagos State, describing the action as insensitive, as there was no alternative provided.
CACOL said the ban will increase the sufferings of the poor and toiling people trying to survive under the extremely harsh economic conditions.
Debo Adeniran, Executive Chairman, CACOL, in a statement, said under this harsh economic condition, majority of Lagosians and Nigerians had to resort to self-help almost on every facet of life following the failure of government to fulfill its constitutional role of providing for the welfare and social security of the citizens.
“The ill-thought ban, if violated will attract six months imprisonment or N90,000 fine. We question the logic behind the ban when those that are going to be affected are largely the impoverished consequent upon the failure of government in facilitating gainful employment opportunities on one hand and failure in service delivery by the government, on the other.
“The existing retail markets are too expensive for the average trader while they are too remote, rough or lacking in basic facilities that could make them attractive to those who would have patronized them. One would expect a government that promised what was presumed to be positive ‘change’ during electioneering campaigns to alleviate the sufferings of the people and to understand that the conditions of living of these categories of persons who engage in street trading cannot but get worsened should their source of earning the pittance they live on be blocked following the ban on street trading,” he said.

Adeniran described street trading as a global phenomenon even in the other mega cities of the world which Lagos wanted to emulate, adding that what such societies did was to organize the poor income earners like street traders in such a way that they did not constitute nuisances as they carried out their activities.
“It is all about social inclusion; the governance and governance policies must be all inclusive. Those that will be affected by this ban are also Lagosians who pay taxes and most likely voted for the present government, it is therefore a betrayal of the hope and trust they reposed in the government.
“It is important to highlight that it was the women, most of whom are the ‘economic managers’ of the families that would largely be affected and this makes the effect of the ban very deep-seated on family livelihood, the livelihood of the cradle of every society,” he said.
Adeniran, while commending the Ambode’s regime for some noticeable developmental projects being implemented across the state, said the body would not want the regime to snatch with the left hand what it had offered the poor Lagosians with the right hand.
“It is imperative to note that this ban if allowed to stay, is also going to create avenue for the traditionally unruly Lagos State paraphernalia of security outfits like KAI, LASTMA and the police to harass, extort, maim and even kill poor people who are only struggling to exist.” Adeniran warned.
“We therefore call for the quashing or humane amendment of the insensitive law that outrightly put blanket ban on street trading without providing viable, accessible and affordable alternative means of livelihood for the victims of the ban. We also call on government to create employment opportunities that will automatically make street trading unattractive to the practitioners,” he said.

Source : Today news

1 Share

Re: Ambodewhy# CACOL, condemned the ban on str by klassykute(m): 11:06pm On Jul 04, 2016
e better clear traffic oo cos we need gala nd lacasara to survive hold up o

1 Like

Re: Ambodewhy# CACOL, condemned the ban on str by rexericx(m): 11:47pm On Jul 04, 2016
In this current harsh economy, you can't even afford to rent a shop in Lagos.
This is just like snatching one's life.
This going to result to more Violence in the state.
How do they want them to survive without providing alternatives

Governor Ambode think

1 Like 1 Share

Re: Ambodewhy# CACOL, condemned the ban on str by asala1: 1:59am On Jul 05, 2016
If you have to break the Law to survive in a place, it means you don`t belong to that place. Find your level.

1 Like

Re: Ambodewhy# CACOL, condemned the ban on str by rexericx(m): 8:57am On Jul 05, 2016
asala1:
If you have to break the Law to survive in a place, it means you don`t belong to that place. Find your level.

Law should not forbid people who are working hard to make end means in a way of not hurting anyone wud u rather prefer robbery

2 Likes 1 Share

Re: Ambodewhy# CACOL, condemned the ban on str by rexericx(m): 10:02am On Jul 05, 2016
Provide alternative

1 Like 1 Share

Re: Ambodewhy# CACOL, condemned the ban on str by chriskosherbal(m): 10:07am On Jul 05, 2016
Nigeria hmmmm

1 Like

Re: Ambodewhy# CACOL, condemned the ban on str by rexericx(m): 10:32am On Jul 05, 2016
This is not about kids hawking but about grown men and women hawking to fend for their family

Am against child hawking #

1 Share

Re: Ambodewhy# CACOL, condemned the ban on str by rexericx(m): 12:03pm On Jul 05, 2016
Cc. Lala

1 Share

Re: Ambodewhy# CACOL, condemned the ban on str by rexericx(m): 4:08am On Jul 06, 2016
Not now
Re: Ambodewhy# CACOL, condemned the ban on str by hundredhundred: 4:33am On Jul 06, 2016
I support the law 200%. I was nearly robbed at Maryland in 2007 by some ediots pretending to sell bottle water, this law have been existing for long in Lagos, I think since the time of Fash. No to street or traffic hawking.

1 Like

Re: Ambodewhy# CACOL, condemned the ban on str by rexericx(m): 4:35am On Jul 06, 2016
hundredhundred:
I support the law 200%. I was nearly robbed at Maryland in 2007 by some ediots pretending to sell bottle water, this law have been existing for long in Lagos, I think since the time of Fash. No to street or traffic hawking.

I understand you bro,what of the people doing the hawking genuinely, will they starve, what we are saying is govt should provide alternative
Re: Ambodewhy# CACOL, condemned the ban on str by hundredhundred: 4:40am On Jul 06, 2016
rexericx:

I understand you bro,what of the people doing the hawking genuinely, will they starve, what we are saying is govt should provide alternative

Alternative like what? Fashola started some vocational schools and even begged them to go enroll cos its free( Knew like 2 people that enrolled for beads making) . We need to act before it get out of hand, traffic or high way hawking should be condemned by all sane people, its totally wrong.

1 Like

Re: Ambodewhy# CACOL, condemned the ban on str by rexericx(m): 4:44am On Jul 06, 2016
hundredhundred:

Alternative like what? Fashola started some vocational schools and even begged them to go enroll cos its free( Knew like 2 people that enrolled for beads making) . We need to act before it get out of hand, traffic or high way hawking should be condemned by all sane people, its totally wrong.

If there was continuity on fashola s programs, but no continuity. All the project are abandoned
The economy is harsh right now for such decision
Re: Ambodewhy# CACOL, condemned the ban on str by hundredhundred: 5:04am On Jul 06, 2016
rexericx:

If there was continuity on fashola s programs, but no continuity. All the project are abandoned
The economy is harsh right now for such decision

There is continuity, you can ask anyone in Lagos for Fashola vocational schools, I know of a graduate learning beads making there. Lagos is a mega city and high way hawking is a no for that kinda city. I support my governor on this one.

1 Like

Re: Ambodewhy# CACOL, condemned the ban on str by rexericx(m): 5:33am On Jul 06, 2016
hundredhundred:

There is continuity, you can ask anyone in Lagos for Fashola vocational schools, I know of a graduate learning beads making there. Lagos is a mega city and high way hawking is a no for that kinda city. I support my governor on this one.

What has the Governor done about the main threats. The so called Agbero (park Touts who are actually behind the hold up attacks /stealing /robbery/and harassment of people?
Re: Ambodewhy# CACOL, condemned the ban on str by hundredhundred: 5:48am On Jul 06, 2016
rexericx:

What has the Governor done about the main threats. The so called Agbero (park Touts who are actually behind the hold up attacks /stealing /robbery/and harassment of people?

Open a thread for motor car parks tout and we will discuss it. Join sane people to say no to highway hawking if you truly want the development and progress of Lagos.

1 Like

Re: Ambodewhy# CACOL, condemned the ban on str by rexericx(m): 5:50am On Jul 06, 2016
hundredhundred:

Open a thread for motor car parks tout and we will discuss it. Join sane people to say no to highway hawking if you truly want the development and progress of Lagos.

Lol funny u

(1) (Reply)

Is This The Change We Voted For? / Why The Kaduna-abuja Rail Is Not About Goodluck Jonathan / See Gov Okorocha's Profile From Wikipedia

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 70
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.