Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,150,767 members, 7,809,956 topics. Date: Friday, 26 April 2024 at 05:44 PM

Meaning Of G, E, 2g, 3g, 4g. In The Mobile Internet Signal Bar - Phones - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Science/Technology / Phones / Meaning Of G, E, 2g, 3g, 4g. In The Mobile Internet Signal Bar (4699 Views)

Meaning Of G , E,H, H+,3G,4G And Their Maximum Download Speed Will Shock You / Many Did Not Know The Meaning Of Up And Down Arrows In Signal Bar (photos) / 6 Tips To Reduce Your Mobile Internet Data Usage (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (Reply) (Go Down)

Meaning Of G, E, 2g, 3g, 4g. In The Mobile Internet Signal Bar by MrRichy(m): 12:09am On Jul 06, 2016
Gone are the days when mobile phones were used mainly for voice calls. Now mobile phones have become smart and millions of people are using internet through their smartphones. In different countries, the quality and speed of mobile Internt differs depending upon the progress of telecom industry
In your Android smartphone, the strength of mobile Internet signal is shown using alphabet letters G,E,2G,3G,H and 4G near the signal bar. Have you ever wondered about the meaning of these symbols/letters? Well, today I will tell you about the meaning of letters G,E,2G,3G,H and 4G in the context of the mobile Internet.

MEANING OF 'G' IN MOBILE SIGNAL
Letter G stands for GPRS (General Packet Radio Service). It indicates the slowest speed of internet data transfer in your mobile phone. When you see G near your signal strength indicator, it is certain that your net connection is working at the slowest speed.
GPRS is considered to be the second generation (2G) mobile technology. It is the slowest and oldest among all mobile tecnologies. It is mainly good enough for sending text messsges using apps like WhatsApp. Data rates in GPRS are between 56 and 114Kbit/second

MEANING OF E IN MOBILE SIGNAL
Letter E stands for EDGE (Enhanced Data Rates for GSM Evolution) . It is also called Enhanced GPRS. This technology lies somewhere in between 2G and 3G technology. So, some people refer to it as 2.5G.
EDGE is faster that GPRS but still not good enough to browse the internet. It takes lot of time in loading websites when your signal bar is showing E letter alongside. Typically EDGE provides a data rate of 400 Kbits/second but in ideal conditions data rate of up to 1 Mbit/second can also be achieved. This technology also lies somewhere in between 2G and 3G. Those who call GPRS as 2.5 G, they refer EDGE as 2.75G.

MEANING OF 3G IN MOBILE SIGNAL
3G means the third generation of mobile telephone technology. It uses the Universal Mobile Telecommunication Sytsem and is based on GSM Standards.
Typically 3g provides data transfer rates 384 kbit/second. But depending upon how it is implemented on various networks, the date rate can go up to 42 Mbits/second.
Usually 3G is faster than EDGE and you can easily browse websites and stream music

MEANING OF H in MOBILE SIGNAL
H stands for HSPA (High speed Packet Access). It is an enhanced form of 3G technology. HSPA provides higher data transfer rates than the basic 3G. HSPA can provide peak data rates of up to 14 Mbit/s for downlink and 5.76 Mbit/s for up uplink.
High Speed Downlink Packet Access (HSDPA) is a further enhanced version of HSPA. HSDPA supports download speed of up to 99.3 Mbit/s.
When you see letter H near the signal bar in your mobile phone, you can stream music and even Youtube Videos without much interruption, But if you want to download a movie, it is going to take a very long time!

MEANING OF H+ IN MOBILE SIGNAL
This is enhanced HSPA. It is faster than basic HSPA (as explained above). Relatively speedier data transfer in H+ will make your video to download or stream much more smoothly. At present 4G technology is not widely available. So, in most parts of the world, HSPA+ is the fastest speed you can get through mobile internet.

MEANING OF WCDMA
WCDMA is also a 3G technology. It stands for Wide-band Code Division Multiple Access (CDMA). Interestingly, this technology is actually used in the GSM systems. WCDMA in GSM increases the data transmission speed by using the air interface of CDMA. International Telecommunications Union has adopted WCDMA.

MEANING OF 4G IN MOBILE SYSTEM
If you see 4G near a signal bar in your mobile phone, you're lucky! It means you are using the fastest mobile internet connection available on the globe at present
4G is the fourth generation of mobile technology. It is also called LTE (Long Term Evolution) . 4G connection works as good as a wi-fi connection of your home or office. With such connection you can do everything on your mobile that you can do on your desktop.
Just to round it all up, the bars in signal indicator show the strength or quality of the signal you're getting at your present location. Also, mobile phone makers often use a dull colour (like gray) to show weak/absent signal and a bright colour (like green and blue) to show good signal.

Tiny arrows in the signal bar show that the data transfer is taking place. The radar like icon shows the wi-fi connection.

boss lalasticlala i hail thee.

26 Likes 3 Shares

Re: Meaning Of G, E, 2g, 3g, 4g. In The Mobile Internet Signal Bar by solexadex(m): 12:15am On Jul 06, 2016
Op support the post with images. Nice one though...
Re: Meaning Of G, E, 2g, 3g, 4g. In The Mobile Internet Signal Bar by dannybomb(m): 12:58am On Jul 06, 2016
jotted... but I still observe both E n 3G at same time in my network especially Etisalat. so what will you call that
Re: Meaning Of G, E, 2g, 3g, 4g. In The Mobile Internet Signal Bar by patfenda(m): 6:49am On Jul 06, 2016
dannybomb:
jotted... but I still observe both E n 3G at same time in my network especially Etisalat. so what will you call that
3ge.thank me later

2 Likes

Re: Meaning Of G, E, 2g, 3g, 4g. In The Mobile Internet Signal Bar by barackodam: 6:59am On Jul 06, 2016
Wow, nice one.

Interesting, and educative, but only for those into technology........
Re: Meaning Of G, E, 2g, 3g, 4g. In The Mobile Internet Signal Bar by Daniel058(m): 7:18am On Jul 06, 2016
I don copy that. .
Re: Meaning Of G, E, 2g, 3g, 4g. In The Mobile Internet Signal Bar by Lucario007(m): 8:46am On Jul 06, 2016
Very fascinating and educating. I learned something new today, thanks op

2 Likes 1 Share

Re: Meaning Of G, E, 2g, 3g, 4g. In The Mobile Internet Signal Bar by haxorDelite(m): 8:56am On Jul 06, 2016
barackodam:
Wow, nice one.

nah lie oo
it is for everybody using a browsing phone

1 Like

Re: Meaning Of G, E, 2g, 3g, 4g. In The Mobile Internet Signal Bar by Godwin978(m): 8:59am On Jul 06, 2016
if this topic no hit FP i ko ban mode on this section
Re: Meaning Of G, E, 2g, 3g, 4g. In The Mobile Internet Signal Bar by Oliviaxx(f): 9:04am On Jul 06, 2016
With crappy glo.just pray u get 3g wereva you are coz thats d only tin u can browse with, without it OYO is ur case..nice piece tho'
Re: Meaning Of G, E, 2g, 3g, 4g. In The Mobile Internet Signal Bar by XtraSmooth404: 9:20am On Jul 06, 2016
Good research
Re: Meaning Of G, E, 2g, 3g, 4g. In The Mobile Internet Signal Bar by Idydarling(f): 9:26am On Jul 06, 2016
haxorDelite:
nah lie oo it is for everybody using a browsing phone
biko, tell am o
Re: Meaning Of G, E, 2g, 3g, 4g. In The Mobile Internet Signal Bar by simplemtray(m): 9:30am On Jul 06, 2016
I equally wrote a post, here is a summary and link.

www.nairaland.com/3208853/dealing-fake-memory-cards-flash

Fake memory cards are counterfeit or inferior
products, usually referred to as clones. They usually come with the
same name as the original memory card/flash disks but their performances are very poor and usually lead to data loss.
Re: Meaning Of G, E, 2g, 3g, 4g. In The Mobile Internet Signal Bar by Noneroone(m): 9:41am On Jul 06, 2016
barackodam:
Wow, nice one.

everybody is into technology in the 21 century
Re: Meaning Of G, E, 2g, 3g, 4g. In The Mobile Internet Signal Bar by barackodam: 9:46am On Jul 06, 2016
Noneroone:
everybody is into technology in the 21 century

haxorDelite:
nah lie oo
it is for everybody using a browsing phone

True sha....
Re: Meaning Of G, E, 2g, 3g, 4g. In The Mobile Internet Signal Bar by Greatzeus(m): 10:06am On Jul 06, 2016
Educative,informative and..... Nice sha
Re: Meaning Of G, E, 2g, 3g, 4g. In The Mobile Internet Signal Bar by donbenedict(m): 12:11pm On Jul 06, 2016
Oliviaxx:
With crappy glo.just pray u get 3g wereva you are coz thats d only tin u can browse with, without it OYO is ur case..nice piece tho'
is Glo still jonsing?
Re: Meaning Of G, E, 2g, 3g, 4g. In The Mobile Internet Signal Bar by Nobody: 12:25pm On Jul 06, 2016
Have always wonder what these alphabets really mean. Too lazy to also browse it out. thanks op
Re: Meaning Of G, E, 2g, 3g, 4g. In The Mobile Internet Signal Bar by StupidGoat(m): 12:53pm On Jul 06, 2016
Pictures or idonbilivit angry
Re: Meaning Of G, E, 2g, 3g, 4g. In The Mobile Internet Signal Bar by ogtavia(m): 12:53pm On Jul 06, 2016
I guess the OP is one of those people who when lecturers and examiner say list and itemise...they begin to write textbooks and keep asking for ridiculous extra sheets...as much as ur post is informative...I just couldn't read more than 2 lines...you,comma,full stop,paragraph and bullets being they get quarrel
Re: Meaning Of G, E, 2g, 3g, 4g. In The Mobile Internet Signal Bar by gentlegenius(m): 1:07pm On Jul 06, 2016
Idydarling:

biko, tell am o
Koko... Abadie?
Re: Meaning Of G, E, 2g, 3g, 4g. In The Mobile Internet Signal Bar by gentlegenius(m): 1:10pm On Jul 06, 2016
But what is the essence of the H?
I noticed that anytime my phone shows H, It wouldn't browse anything until it changes to H+ or 3G.
Re: Meaning Of G, E, 2g, 3g, 4g. In The Mobile Internet Signal Bar by Chicent(m): 1:34pm On Jul 06, 2016
Informative
Re: Meaning Of G, E, 2g, 3g, 4g. In The Mobile Internet Signal Bar by Austin234(m): 2:37pm On Jul 06, 2016
Informative. But let me ask, 'Does this apply to all GSM because some defy whatever status no matter if u have the high speed symbol'?
Re: Meaning Of G, E, 2g, 3g, 4g. In The Mobile Internet Signal Bar by successking401(m): 4:02pm On Jul 06, 2016
Niece piece u gat up there op
Re: Meaning Of G, E, 2g, 3g, 4g. In The Mobile Internet Signal Bar by Bestlily(f): 4:39pm On Jul 06, 2016
Nice#
Re: Meaning Of G, E, 2g, 3g, 4g. In The Mobile Internet Signal Bar by 007Nasky(m): 4:57pm On Jul 06, 2016
Educative
Re: Meaning Of G, E, 2g, 3g, 4g. In The Mobile Internet Signal Bar by goldeno10boy: 5:22pm On Jul 06, 2016
Thanx
Re: Meaning Of G, E, 2g, 3g, 4g. In The Mobile Internet Signal Bar by mytime24(f): 6:46pm On Jul 06, 2016
#op if u list or space ur write up ur hand no go bend na angry
Re: Meaning Of G, E, 2g, 3g, 4g. In The Mobile Internet Signal Bar by aforosco(m): 7:03pm On Jul 06, 2016
ogtavia:
I guess the OP is one of those people who when lecturers and examiner say list and itemise...they begin to write textbooks and keep asking for ridiculous extra sheets...as much as ur post is informative...I just couldn't read more than 2 lines...you,comma,full stop,paragraph and bullets being they get quarrel

So u Côme dey vex?

1 Like

Re: Meaning Of G, E, 2g, 3g, 4g. In The Mobile Internet Signal Bar by MrRichy(m): 7:24pm On Jul 06, 2016
dannybomb:

is your phone a dual sim phone ?
Re: Meaning Of G, E, 2g, 3g, 4g. In The Mobile Internet Signal Bar by CashNaira96: 7:34pm On Jul 06, 2016
H+ all the way.. who else have noticed that when your android phone shoes 3G it wont just browse/connect... i dont know why this is... on all network

(1) (2) (Reply)

Why Some Phones Have Better Network Reception Than Others? / Series 60v3 Applications For Nairalanders / This Rise In Dollar Value Is Making Me Consider Going Back To Being A Runs Babe

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 117
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.