Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,150,865 members, 7,810,295 topics. Date: Saturday, 27 April 2024 at 06:10 AM

How I Started My Successful Catering Business - Oghor Promise - Business (3) - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Business / How I Started My Successful Catering Business - Oghor Promise (43059 Views)

Mike Adenuga: "How I Started My Business Empire By Selling Car Stereos In 1974" / ”I Started My Business With N5,000, I Now Have 5 Bedroom Mansion In Lagos"- Lady / "2 Years Ago I Started My Business With N30K But Now.."Nigerian Man Reveals.PICS (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) (4) (Reply) (Go Down)

Re: How I Started My Successful Catering Business - Oghor Promise by ephi123(f): 12:33pm On Mar 11, 2017
montezz:
Wow!
If you feel like there's something out there that you're supposed to be doing, if you have a passion for it, then stop wishing and just do it. Not everyone will work with a corporate organization. Naija bad naija bad.... People are still making it big.

BTW,I don't know why I find men that cooks attractive.

So very true. Better to take baby steps than keep waiting, journey of a thousand miles begins with with a single step. I know Nigeria can be frustrating but if you are truly passionate about something, you won't be able to just keep it in, you will do something no matter how little.

4 Likes

Re: How I Started My Successful Catering Business - Oghor Promise by Nobody: 12:33pm On Mar 11, 2017
Ioannes:
People praising him already, he hasn't even established his own restaurant, he's still thinking whether to go into food or pastries.

When he's established, Let's have this convo again, shall we?

You don't need to have the convo, he doesn't need your validation. Go tell your own story

2 Likes

Re: How I Started My Successful Catering Business - Oghor Promise by buffalowings: 12:35pm On Mar 11, 2017
princeonx:
You transitioned oga!

After all you invested the same bank salaries into the business.

Dumped like say you work there for free or at gun point.

my brother
I tire o

let me make some dough in my line of work

when I set up my business later
I too can say I resigned cos I couldn't work a 9 to 5 job grin
Re: How I Started My Successful Catering Business - Oghor Promise by sunsewa16: 12:37pm On Mar 11, 2017
this so interesting, it got me inspired with tears, it gave me more determinations on the present business I embark earlier this year.
Re: How I Started My Successful Catering Business - Oghor Promise by Mustack: 12:39pm On Mar 11, 2017
the best warm is to do what make you happy.
Re: How I Started My Successful Catering Business - Oghor Promise by deflover(m): 12:41pm On Mar 11, 2017
Nnemuka:
deflover mecussey oya oo come and see your fellow man handling the kitchen as a married man.
and you think the wife enters kitchen? she definitely handles za oza room and improves her skills.

Pls God answer my prayer and send me a man who is good in the kitchen and i will take over the bedroom.
Amen

I am not yet married ma
So you might be having your prayers answered
Re: How I Started My Successful Catering Business - Oghor Promise by ephi123(f): 12:42pm On Mar 11, 2017
princeonx:
You transitioned oga!

After all you invested the same bank salaries into the business.

Dumped like say you work there for free or at gun point.

It is the Mod who renamed the thread, no where in the interview did the guy say he "dumped" banking.
It is stated in the post that he made the decision to resign because he got married to a colleague which is against bank policy.

1 Like

Re: How I Started My Successful Catering Business - Oghor Promise by Nobody: 12:46pm On Mar 11, 2017
delivite:

You don't need to have the convo, he doesn't need your validation. Go tell your own story

Shuo! Na fight? Bro, no be fight o. I wasn't critical of his progress(or Maybe I was) all I just meant was, it seems he's yet to act on his dream, you know, like he's still stalling.

But taking a course in catering and preparing himself for a new career is most commendable indeed and I admire that.

No offence.
Re: How I Started My Successful Catering Business - Oghor Promise by Nobody: 12:54pm On Mar 11, 2017
ephi123:

He is a caterer, he provides services. He doesn't need to establish a restaurant because he is a caterer, they are two separate things imho.

Yeah, I get that.

He said he was still undecided whether to handle foods or pastries. Just thinking that Maybe he's stalling Because it's now time to commit some serious money into the business and he's getting cold feet.

Besides, I'd always thought all caterers had restaurants where they tried out new delicacies and made money from while waiting for the odd catering contracts here and there...

1 Like

Re: How I Started My Successful Catering Business - Oghor Promise by ephi123(f): 12:58pm On Mar 11, 2017
Ioannes:

Yeah, I get that.

He said he was still undecided whether to handle foods or pastries. Just thinking that Maybe he's stalling Because it's now time to commit some serious money into the business and he's getting cold feet.

Besides, I'd always thought all caterers had restaurants where they tried out new delicacies and made money from while waiting for the odd catering contracts here and there...

Okay, I see your point. It could be he is good at both thus undecided which to go for.
Re: restaurants, i think those are chefs you're referring to.

1 Like

Re: How I Started My Successful Catering Business - Oghor Promise by priestly1016(m): 1:03pm On Mar 11, 2017
I am seriously motivated, me and that guy ave the same passion....it has really inspired me, I will give in to it..God with me, it will be wonderful

1 Like

Re: How I Started My Successful Catering Business - Oghor Promise by Nobody: 1:05pm On Mar 11, 2017
ephi123:

Okay, I see your point. It could be he is good at both thus undecided which to go for.
Re: restaurants, i think those are chefs you're referring to.

Yeah, chefs.

I see their restaurants like laboratories where new and tasty delights are created.

If he was asked to cater for children's party or something in the medium range, I'd think it would be more convenient to do most of the work in his laboratory (sorry, kitchen smiley ) and transport to the venue.

But then I haven't been in such business before, So I think I'll bow to a superior knowledge of the workings of caterers.
Re: How I Started My Successful Catering Business - Oghor Promise by chizyann15(f): 1:07pm On Mar 11, 2017
wow am highly motivated,keep it up,it has always been my dream to be my own boss,and I can't wait for that day,av worked for 4years with little or nothing to show for it, tried to save,but at the end of the year I will use it to pay my rent,no body to lend me money cos I av nothing to deposits,I learnt how to make cake late last year,though people r patronizing me small small,I charge less n use the money to buy cake equipment.I love this

1 Like

Re: How I Started My Successful Catering Business - Oghor Promise by ephi123(f): 1:11pm On Mar 11, 2017
Ioannes:

Yeah, chefs.

I see their restaurants like laboratories where new and tasty delights are created.

If he was asked to cater for children's party or something in the medium range, I'd think it would be more convenient to do most of the work in his laboratory (sorry, kitchen smiley ) and transport to the venue.

But then I haven't been in such business before, So I think I'll bow to a superior knowledge of the workings of caterers.

Haha! cheesy
Re: How I Started My Successful Catering Business - Oghor Promise by Nobody: 1:14pm On Mar 11, 2017
ephi123:

Haha! cheesy

cheesy cheesy
Re: How I Started My Successful Catering Business - Oghor Promise by Originalsly: 1:19pm On Mar 11, 2017
Segadem:

everyone has a great idea runs in their vision but the capital to embark on it is the issue
That's something he addressed... and this is one of our major problems....we never think about starting from the bottom... from scratch. Re read how he started.... how his business kicked off.
Re: How I Started My Successful Catering Business - Oghor Promise by Nobody: 1:52pm On Mar 11, 2017
He used his banking job as a stepping stone to establish his own business.
Re: How I Started My Successful Catering Business - Oghor Promise by Ever8054: 2:03pm On Mar 11, 2017
DollarAngel:
I tap into your Blessings, God answer my call too
it is call hard work... dey there dey wait for miracle. blessing ni ko taping ni.....

1 Like

Re: How I Started My Successful Catering Business - Oghor Promise by Originalsly: 2:07pm On Mar 11, 2017
@ topic..... this can be a blueprint for those looking to start their own business. I think the interviewer asked veryyyy relevant questions and the replies were soo on point. Very inspiring, motivating and a good lesson on looking first before leaping....passion is not everything. I guess we'll have to wait a few more months before we see another thread that can improve the lives of many.

1 Like

Re: How I Started My Successful Catering Business - Oghor Promise by Ndudi4: 2:09pm On Mar 11, 2017
I really enjoyed it. I'm hoping to be like u some day. I like d part u said "I like working with my hands" that's sound more like me. Hoping my dream come true some day. Waiting for the second part...

1 Like

Re: How I Started My Successful Catering Business - Oghor Promise by Alert(f): 2:11pm On Mar 11, 2017
My dream but no guts wink
Re: How I Started My Successful Catering Business - Oghor Promise by nkemdi89(f): 2:13pm On Mar 11, 2017
Philpham:
I hate it when men do women's job, they are never good at it. Imagine a man doing catering, na waa. That's low. He should man up.
Not for sunny our sort after chef and Cook, in fact I just learnt something new from him in the kitchen.
Re: How I Started My Successful Catering Business - Oghor Promise by Ndudi4: 2:14pm On Mar 11, 2017
who knows where one can get good affordable catering school in Abuja? Not home training oooh. I like to learn with group
Re: How I Started My Successful Catering Business - Oghor Promise by FRANKOSKI(m): 2:23pm On Mar 11, 2017
GOD BE THERE FOR YOU.
Re: How I Started My Successful Catering Business - Oghor Promise by Nobody: 2:26pm On Mar 11, 2017
Alert:
My dream but no guts wink

No guts no glory, love.

Go for it! I wish you success
Re: How I Started My Successful Catering Business - Oghor Promise by marylandcakes: 2:39pm On Mar 11, 2017
priestly1016:
I am seriously motivated, me and that guy ave the same passion....it has really inspired me, I will give in to it..God with me, it will be wonderful

Same here. A lot of people don't understand what it means to follow your passion. It's not all about money and it brings self contentment. I wish him good luck for the future.

1 Like

Re: How I Started My Successful Catering Business - Oghor Promise by anonimi: 3:12pm On Mar 11, 2017
ephi123:
So very true. Better to take baby steps than keep waiting, journey of a thousand miles begins with with a single step. I know Nigeria can be frustrating but if you are truly passionate about something, you won't be able to just keep it in, you will do something no matter how little.

I respectfully concur.

[img]http://otrazhenie.files./2013/08/step.jpg[/img]

2 Likes

Re: How I Started My Successful Catering Business - Oghor Promise by anonimi: 3:14pm On Mar 11, 2017
marylandcakes:
Same here. A lot of people don't understand what it means to follow your passion. It's not all about money and it brings self contentment. I wish him good luck for the future.

Nothing could be more true.

www.nairaland.com/attachments/3401521_cannoteatmoney_jpegaebb2a352ae295fc9aa7a61c24b4203c

1 Like

Re: How I Started My Successful Catering Business - Oghor Promise by montezz(f): 4:24pm On Mar 11, 2017
ephi123:

Yeah. Its better to start little and grow big than start big to later crumble. The bigger the start up of a business,the higher the risk.
Re: How I Started My Successful Catering Business - Oghor Promise by crunchyg: 4:33pm On Mar 11, 2017
montezz:
Wow!
If you feel like there's something out there that you're supposed to be doing, if you have a passion for it, then stop wishing and just do it. Not everyone will work with a corporate organization. Naija bad naija bad.... People are still making it big.

BTW,I don't know why I find men that cooks attractive.
that is an intelligent lady speaking over there. Kudos to u

1 Like

Re: How I Started My Successful Catering Business - Oghor Promise by Nature8(m): 4:43pm On Mar 11, 2017
[quote author=delivite post=47250347]Editor’s note: This is the first of a two-part discussion with Promise Oghor on NextNaijaEntrepreneur.com. He tells us why he left his job with a bank to become a caterer, what has driven him to succeed and what sets him apart in the catering business. The second part is more of a practical discussion about how anyone can start and manage a successful catering business. I hope this inspires you to create something and prosper.

My name is Promise Oghor, I’m from Delta state. I studied Mathematics/ Economics at the University of Benin and graduated in 2001. By the grace of God, I’m the CEO/Chef at Boundless PICK Ltd. We offer professional catering services for all outdoor/indoor events and occasions of all sizes and shapes.

STARTING A CATERING BUSINESS…

After my graduation, I got a job with a bank and was posted to Awka, in 2005. I worked till November 2010 when I resigned as a cash officer. I resigned because my wife and I worked in the same bank. One of us had to resign so I chose to leave because I’m the more skilled person, I like to work with my hands. It would be easier for me to start up something…

WHY WAS IT A PROBLEM WORKING IN THE SAME BANK WITH YOUR WIFE?

It is the bank policy that a couple cannot be in the same bank to mitigate fraud, though we were in different departments. For malicious people, it would be very easy, and even tempting, to rob/defraud the bank. So you understand how that could be a problem. I left the banking job in 2010 and opened my catering business.

WHY CATERING? WHAT MOTIVATED YOU TO GO INTO THE CATERING BUSINESS?

I love cooking. I just love it. It is one passion I have. That was why it was easy for me to decide on becoming a caterer. Cooking is something I do for fun. Even when I was with the bank or in school, I used to invite my friends over to my house and I would cook for them. That was even how I wooed some girls back then (laughs). It’s a part of me. I cooked my own food while I was in school because it was cheaper, richer and more delicious. I would tell my mom sometimes to leave the kitchen and I would cook for the house. It’s a passion.

When I left the bank, like every Nigerian, I had so many things in my mind I wanted to do. One of the first options I had at the time was MLM (Multi-Level Marketing) but it was not sustainable. Let’s tell ourselves the truth a lot of things are not sustainable in Nigeria, and I talked to myself and said I cannot be helping somebody else make money. A lot of people would say it’s a plan B but that was not a plan B for me because over time, you get jaded – you get fed up when the money is not coming. When your down-liners don’t perform, what do you do?

Again, I love fashion. There were so many things I would love to do if I knew how to sew. I went to a lot of fashion designers here and told them I wanted to learn. They were like: you? Learn? I said, ”yes, I want to learn. Forget about my appearance and style and everything, I want to learn how to sew” You know the problem with most Nigerians is we are too proud to do a lot of things. My salary at the bank then was good but I was willing to set aside everything and learn. That was my mindset at the time. Problem was, none of them wanted to teach me.

There had to be something I could do without spending an insane amount of money and that was why I started a catering business. My passion for cooking just made it easier and more fun. Catering funds itself. You want me to cook for you, you give me money and I cook. I didn’t need millions to start. My wife was shy at first (laughs) because she felt I should start big. However, I believe in little beginnings. She has been very supportive since she saw the prospect in food business.

HOW DIFFICULT WAS IT AT FIRST AND WHAT WERE SOME CHALLENGES YOU FACED?

The first job I got was from a friend of mine. He was skeptical at first but I said, “Give me a try…try me.” So he gave me the job and I executed it perfectly. I cooked rice. He gave ukwa (bread fruit) and bitterleaf soup to someone else because he was afraid I couldn’t do it. Funny enough, when people ate the rice and asked who cooked it, he said I was the one who did everything (laughs) because it was amazing. I started telling people gradually, child dedication, birthdays, and that was how my business kicked off.

cool
Re: How I Started My Successful Catering Business - Oghor Promise by nikz(f): 4:55pm On Mar 11, 2017
This is beautiful. I love men that aren't proud and God always blesses them cus God exalts a humble man.

(1) (2) (3) (4) (Reply)

Daughters Of Abdulmunafi Sarina, Owner Of Azman Air / Starting A Laundry And Dry Cleaner Business In Your Location / Innocent Chukwuma Rejects EFCC Release, Refuses To Leave Custody

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 57
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.