Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,151,439 members, 7,812,308 topics. Date: Monday, 29 April 2024 at 11:27 AM

JAMB - The Way Forward - Education - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Education / JAMB - The Way Forward (10580 Views)

10 Powerful Quotes That Will Change the Way You Live and Think / Mass Failure In 2017 Jamb The Senate Should Do Something About It / JAMB: THE Best And Poorest Result So Fat (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (Reply) (Go Down)

JAMB - The Way Forward by Akby(m): 3:29pm On Jul 07, 2016
It’s really sad that after 38 years of setting up the Joint Admission Matriculation Board (JAMB), she’s still on the quest to getting it right. It hurts when I see bright minds deprived of the opportunity to further their education largely due to the incompetence of the examination body. A question always pop into my mind: “Can’t we just scrap this system?”

Here is my view of what I feel should be the way forward

JAMB really needs to look beyond conducting examination. She should serve more as a portal that connects the students with the tertiary institutions. What do I mean by this, students should only register through JAMB having meet up with the requirements laid down by the body and their credentials should be forwarded to the institutions for the admission process
The system should be done in such a way that a candidate can only choose a max. of 5 institutions. The payment method should also be a factor of the number of schools chose. The minimum could be 2 institution costing N4,000 flat. An addition of extra school determines how much you eventually pay. E.g. For every extra school pick, you pay an addition of 1,000 to the 4,000 flat. Access the website, fill up the number of institutions interested, print out the transcript, go to the nearest bank to pay, collect your pin and finally logon to begin your application. This will reduce the cost of printing scratch card which does not even sale for the exact amount in some part of the country. Some agents go the length of adding extra N300 before purchasing the card from them.

Once the application is closed for the year, JAMB should then sit down and process the various entries. A centralized timetable will then be designed for the conduct of the exam. Candidate who chose UI and other schools for example might take the other school’s (UniZik, FUTMINNA, IMSU and AAUA) exam first before taking that of UI’s depending on the calendar drafted. If a candidate who chose UNIBEN logon for the exam, he would be redirected to UNIBEN’s question which was set by the school herself.

This means JAMB technically have no question but serve as a middleman between the school and the candidate. This is where University standard come in to play. OAU’s questions might be more challenging compared to University of Uyo and students who wishes to attend OAU have to prepare very well.

After the examination, either the school/JAMB can mark (objectives) depending on the agreement reached and the result is then forwarded to the institutions. The result will then determine the cut-off mark to be used by the institution.
If for example, a candidate made it in to 3 of the 5 schools selected, he has the period of a month to accept just one of it creating vacuum for another potential candidate at the school he rejected.
This will balance the population across the institutions in Nigeria.
Thank you

A concerned University of Ibadan undergraduate

35 Likes 3 Shares

Re: JAMB - The Way Forward by Muyogoa: 4:10pm On Jul 07, 2016
I will advise u to work hard so that u can contest for the senate or house of rep.

12 Likes

Re: JAMB - The Way Forward by seunlayi(m): 4:34pm On Jul 07, 2016
Great write up. Please where is the mod? I always expect Atleast a thread from the education sector to be on Fp daily. This is one of the important section if nairaland truly cares about our youths development and future

12 Likes

Re: JAMB - The Way Forward by Justice28(m): 4:38pm On Jul 07, 2016
Hit like if Op is right cheesy
Share if the other way round sad

21 Likes 4 Shares

Re: JAMB - The Way Forward by biodunch: 5:38pm On Jul 07, 2016
But where is lalasticlala self? This deserve FPp

1 Like 1 Share

Re: JAMB - The Way Forward by xender(m): 5:49pm On Jul 07, 2016
Waw. . . This made sense.

But people will come and fault it.

2 Likes

Re: JAMB - The Way Forward by brunoMcJaY(m): 6:47pm On Jul 07, 2016
@op you get sense.... Very good initiative
Re: JAMB - The Way Forward by Maxtermind(m): 7:23pm On Jul 07, 2016
[size=28pt]calculate your Jamb Point Tally with this[/size]

credit: https://www.instagram.com/p/BHiVW1lBVMi/?taken-by=nairawall

Re: JAMB - The Way Forward by Atoos(m): 7:25pm On Jul 07, 2016
Sensible....
But there's still the problem of conducting the exams
And curbing exam malpractice...
Re: JAMB - The Way Forward by Francis95(m): 7:25pm On Jul 07, 2016
Nice one boss

1 Like

Re: JAMB - The Way Forward by Nobody: 7:26pm On Jul 07, 2016
Reasonable.
Re: JAMB - The Way Forward by leshluap(m): 7:27pm On Jul 07, 2016
Not reasonable, apology to the person above me. OP,( Off Point). Sincerely yours, this will cause more problems. it will cost JAMB more. And the stakeholders (students, parents etc) more pains. individual institution should rather conduct their entrance exams. or a body should be set up that will be saddled with the task of monitoring PUTME. simple.. imagine JAMB as a body conducting separate exams for all the schools in Nigeria. UNIBEN, UI, ABU, AAUA, UNIABUJA and others sending questions to JAMB....lol.... angry grin. OP, from your 1st paragraph you think if the system is properly placed and monitored, all candidates will get admission the same time? sure you know it is not possible. considering the population and the available spaces. so the problem is not that of JAMB. u no think am well abeg..

3 Likes

Re: JAMB - The Way Forward by Stanleywaxy(m): 7:29pm On Jul 07, 2016
A confused fellow is here to ask a question Bro .
Who offers you admission first ... Jamb or the School itself ?
Re: JAMB - The Way Forward by Wisdomkosi(m): 7:29pm On Jul 07, 2016
This is not a bad idea
Re: JAMB - The Way Forward by Acecube(m): 7:30pm On Jul 07, 2016
Reasonable
Re: JAMB - The Way Forward by agoadiv(m): 7:34pm On Jul 07, 2016
this is great

guy u really sat down to think this up... kudos
Re: JAMB - The Way Forward by mmafhew(m): 7:39pm On Jul 07, 2016
Buh dis pure discrimination, one sitting 10point, two sitting 2point? Too low!!!!, does wif this 2sittings dnt also wish to
Re: JAMB - The Way Forward by geohenry8(m): 7:40pm On Jul 07, 2016
nice one OP
Re: JAMB - The Way Forward by codeslayer(m): 7:45pm On Jul 07, 2016
Truth be told jamb has outlived it usefulness and it is only still existing because some individuals are benefitting from the status quo. Let each higher institution handle its admission process and conduct its examination. A candidate can then apply to ten schools if they feel they can meet the school's admission requirements and fees.
Re: JAMB - The Way Forward by jojothaiv(m): 7:46pm On Jul 07, 2016
Nice one bro..
Hope they see it!
Re: JAMB - The Way Forward by jojothaiv(m): 7:47pm On Jul 07, 2016
mmafhew:
Buh dis pure discrimination, one sitting 10point, two sitting 2point? Too low!!!!, does wif this 2sittings dnt also wish to
that thing pain me o...
But thank God sha, e spoil ne but e never spoil...
Re: JAMB - The Way Forward by Teenaira: 8:02pm On Jul 07, 2016
I think Nigeria as a country is just punishing students seeking for admission unnecessarily. If a student will have to go through all this ambiguities to get admitted to a higher institution then the temptation of looking for an illegal way out is made higher. If JAMB has been setup to conduct examinations into tertiary institution for Christ sake, we should let that be. The students will invariably get to the tertiary institution and if they can not cope with the demand of the course they are admitted into, the institution could advise them accordingly. For me I think what we should really be talking about now is how to align the various programs to be able to support and develop the society. As we speak, this is still a very big challenge and that is why we have millions of graduates of different institutions not being able to apply their knowledge to their personal and societal development. It is time to start looking at this big challenge because after the tense admission process, rigorous academic activities in the various schools, if our graduates could not still meet their various personal objectives in life or add value to their environment or society at large then, they will likely have that sense of being a failure. This will not be good enough after all the big dreams.

1 Like 1 Share

Re: JAMB - The Way Forward by HomoSapiien: 8:06pm On Jul 07, 2016
jojothaiv:

that thing pain me o...
But thank God sha, e spoil ne but e never spoil...

Don't get pained, the model is actually a mere rumor. It isn't true.
Re: JAMB - The Way Forward by brunoMcJaY(m): 8:10pm On Jul 07, 2016
Atoos:
Sensible....
But there's still the problem of conducting the exams
And curbing exam malpractice...

Jamb already has approved CBT centres. The exam centres shouldn't be much of a problem. About curbing exam malpractive if we stick with CBT. It will be curbed a great deal.
Re: JAMB - The Way Forward by brunoMcJaY(m): 8:14pm On Jul 07, 2016
Stanleywaxy:
A confused fellow is here to ask a question Bro .
Who offers you admission first ... Jamb or the School itself ?

The school itself. You accept the school's admission offer and the jamb sends you the admission letter.

1 Like

Re: JAMB - The Way Forward by Valmesk(m): 8:14pm On Jul 07, 2016
mmafhew:
Students that are using two results will find this current grading status harsh,it's highly discriminatory,I wish they can come together and sue JAMB because of this becuse many of them will be denied admission.
Re: JAMB - The Way Forward by jojothaiv(m): 8:14pm On Jul 07, 2016
HomoSapiien:

Don't get pained, the model is actually a mere rumor. It isn't true.
and 4 every rumour, there's always an element of truth...
Bro, you no go ever know how it feels walking in my shoe..
Re: JAMB - The Way Forward by HomoSapiien: 8:23pm On Jul 07, 2016
jojothaiv:

and 4 every rumour, there's always an element of truth...

Bro, you no go ever know how it feels walking in my shoe..

Maybe unilorin vice chancellor was wrong when he said the below yesterday

Re: JAMB - The Way Forward by Akjr(m): 8:28pm On Jul 07, 2016
But pls biko. Sombdy shld hep me am totally confused... My question x that. Will there still be post utme screening in uni's?? Pls quote if u knw
Re: JAMB - The Way Forward by sirusX(m): 8:45pm On Jul 07, 2016
Akby:

Once the application is closed for the year, JAMB should then sit down and process the various entries. A centralized timetable will then be designed for the conduct of the exam. Candidate who chose UI and other schools for example might take the other school’s (UniZik, FUTMINNA, IMSU and AAUA) exam first before taking that of UI’s depending on the calendar drafted. If a candidate who chose UNIBEN logon for the exam, he would be redirected to UNIBEN’s question which was set by the school herself.

This means JAMB technically have no question but serve as a middleman between the school and the candidate. This is where University standard come in to play. OAU’s questions might be more challenging compared to University of Uyo and students who wishes to attend OAU have to prepare very well.

After the examination, either the school/JAMB can mark (objectives) depending on the agreement reached and the result is then forwarded to the institutions. The result will then determine the cut-off mark to be used by the institution.
If for example, a candidate made it in to 3 of the 5 schools selected,he has the period of a month to accept just one of it creating vacuum for another potential candidate at the school he rejected.
This will balance the population across the institutions in Nigeria.
Thank you

A concerned University of Ibadan undergraduate

I admire the thought to your words, it really would be a welcome development, cz I have also pondered on ways to give students a chance for multiple applications to different schools

But...back to the statement in bold

If a large portion of students accept a particular school and forgo others...there is no assurance that the school can occupy them all, and that would leave them hanging undecided
Re: JAMB - The Way Forward by seunlayi(m): 9:06pm On Jul 07, 2016
Weldone Mod

1 Like

(1) (2) (Reply)

Lasu Cut Off Mark 2010/2011 ! / 4 Igbinedion Varsity Lecturers Killed In A Car Crash / Nnamdi Azikiwe University Students(zikites)..lets Meet Here

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 35
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.