Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,152,982 members, 7,817,900 topics. Date: Saturday, 04 May 2024 at 10:20 PM

HND Holder Vs Third Class Degree Bsc Holder: Which Is Better? - EDUREGARD - Career (7) - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Career / HND Holder Vs Third Class Degree Bsc Holder: Which Is Better? - EDUREGARD (50041 Views)

Can You Hold A First Class Degree And Be Jobless? / See How This Hausa Lady Who Is A 2nd Class Bsc Holder Makes Her Money In Abuja(p / Did You Graduate With A Pass Or Third Class? Here's A Word Of Advice For You. (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (Reply) (Go Down)

Re: HND Holder Vs Third Class Degree Bsc Holder: Which Is Better? - EDUREGARD by jinxet2000: 2:21pm On Jul 08, 2016
The way people view credentials in Nigeria is horrible and may be linked to one of the reasons our society is academically poor. HND or BSc, what matters most is the quality of your credential. I know fully well that businesses who have clear understanding about the two make use of them very very well. For example, the place I work, the business require a certain positions to be occupied by BSc holders and some for HND holders. BSc holders are known to be students who have theoretical and in-depth calculative analysis of knowledge whereby HND are theoretical and practical knowledge. These two classes of credentials are need in a very productive societies. But in Nigeria, most businesses consider HND holders as people without knowlege, people who cant pass JAMB and people who did not get adequate intellectual knowledge. In general, HND holders tend to get job more and faster in industrialized societies because, practical knowledge are required more than in-depth calculation activities, most especially in this century computer is doing most works. If we continue to judge who' who, the world will continue to forge ahead while we keep deliberating the importance of BSc over HND. Above all, your certificate can only give you a job at the moment and your content can move you in and out of good jobs.
Re: HND Holder Vs Third Class Degree Bsc Holder: Which Is Better? - EDUREGARD by gidjah(m): 2:54pm On Jul 08, 2016
YOU ARE PRETTY CORRECT SIR, THOUGH I FINISHED WITH A POYTECHNIC as my first degree, and then futhering for my PGD and MSC, I SHALL yet prefer a 3rd class to any HND any day , any time.this is due to my past experience.
SirAlfred:
At the government establishment BSc 3rd class is superior to HND. You can't head a department or ministry with HND, but with BSc 3rd class you can head departments or ministries. It's there in the public service gazette.
Re: HND Holder Vs Third Class Degree Bsc Holder: Which Is Better? - EDUREGARD by AWObest: 2:55pm On Jul 08, 2016
HND/BSC: 1st on has to know y dos institution were establish. A polytechnic was establish to train and graduate TECHNICIANS, while the university was estatblish to train & graduate OFFICERS. An HND holder may defend his certificate better than a BSC holder and vice versa but dat doesn't mean one is beta dan d other. Dey hv different role, training & assignment. A Bsc in Mech do the research & make d design, while the HND in mech implement the design to the fullest. Both r dependent on each other. Even in d education sector & civil service we hv officer & technician. Dis is d same all over the world. U made ur choice once u enta in either of this institutions, so please dnt complain of ur certificate (it is either u want 2 b a technician or an officer).
Re: HND Holder Vs Third Class Degree Bsc Holder: Which Is Better? - EDUREGARD by Moderation: 3:08pm On Jul 08, 2016
I can authoritatively tell you that some upper credit holders of some polytechnics are far better than some University graduants who parade themselves as either first or second class degree holders. Let us keep sentiments apart in this Country; and give equal opportunities to both HND and BSc holders to prove themselves. One of the major challenges we are having in this Country is that we so much believe in paper qualification.
Re: HND Holder Vs Third Class Degree Bsc Holder: Which Is Better? - EDUREGARD by udeh3(m): 3:23pm On Jul 08, 2016
ogawisdom:

They seem close on paper ie if d HND is distinction n d degree third class or pass though both r useless angry but if employed d third class degree man even if he has pass is rated higher.

HND is mainly for ppl who could not pass WAEC and JAMB Ndi itiboribo, nobody ever goes to polytechnic willingly sad na condition.

U dnt compare a diploma to a degree, degree employees r considered senior staff frm day one but HND junior staff. Most of D lecturers of HND students r first degree holders grin

Please, findout the meaning of diploma
Re: HND Holder Vs Third Class Degree Bsc Holder: Which Is Better? - EDUREGARD by EdDave(m): 3:28pm On Jul 08, 2016
OP, what do u mean by better? What is the basis for comparison?
In terms of employment, it depends on the organization.
Banks prefer to employ HND cos they pay them less than degree holders.
My organization have recently stopped employing anyone with less than a first degree, a third class has higher chances than a HND holder.

So there you have it
Re: HND Holder Vs Third Class Degree Bsc Holder: Which Is Better? - EDUREGARD by Welcomme: 3:58pm On Jul 08, 2016
Pimiento:
You are busy comparing certificates, what about your potentials? Let me tell you my story.
While I was about rounding up my NYSC, I attended an interview. The job requires job experience which I don't have. And am holding a HND in Purchasing and Supply. We were given a math and IQ test (with the so called Bsc. holders), and I scored highest in both. After the Oral interview, I was asked to assume office immediately after my POP as a Graduate Trainee. Five months later, I was promoted as a Sales Executive, today am in charge of training newly recruited staff in the northern zone(even the Msc. holders). And am currently under training for the position of Regional Sales Manager. Meaning not just Bsc holders, even the Msc holders will be reporting to me. All this happened in less than a year.

Someone said those of us in the Polytechnic are there cos we don't pass waec/jamb, we are there by condition. Yes to some extent you are right it's condition, but it does not necessarily mean it's waec/jamb. "If I show u my waec result, e go shock u"
Bro, I will like u to mentor me on some things.. Can I P.M u?
Re: HND Holder Vs Third Class Degree Bsc Holder: Which Is Better? - EDUREGARD by AWObest: 3:59pm On Jul 08, 2016
This is not about 1st class, third clas, upper credit or lower credit. HND is HND & BSC is BSC. Dnt try 2 justify anytin here. If u dnt want 2 b a technician or been employed as a level 7 employee go 2 d the university simple. Let's stop dis HND/BSC tin, Whether bank or some organization lyk ND or HND because dey can shortpay dem or because dey only need technicians.but d truth is Deir is a difference btwn grammar schl & technical schl, polytechnic & unversity, unversity & college of education, MBA & MSC, medical docor Dr. & PHD Doctor of philosophy.
Re: HND Holder Vs Third Class Degree Bsc Holder: Which Is Better? - EDUREGARD by brunoMcJaY(m): 4:52pm On Jul 08, 2016
Fynestboi:
Most probably, contrary to your belief, this is no fight between HND and Degree, we are just here to check and balance. Having an HND and having a Third Class BSC Degree, which one is better concerning regards for each in the employment market.

First of all, Definition of Terms for some of us who might not be so sure of what HND and Third Class BSC are :

HND Holder is one who has completed a course program at a Polytechnic in Nigeria. The certificate awarded upon completion of the program is the Higher National Diploma (HND).

BSc Holder is one who has completed an undergraduate program at a University in Nigeria. The degree awarded upon completion of the program is a Bachelor Degree (BSc).

Now, my own opinion :
Since time past the HND has always being considered inferior to the BSc. This, at least, was the idea inculcated in us by the colonial masters and this mentality is what many of us still hold onto today, which is not supposed to be.

It is also important that we know that the university is an internationally recognized higher institution of learning all around the world. As such, a third class BSc holder may sometimes have the opportunity of furthering their studies in a way that the HND holder cannot because a BSc is recognized everywhere while same cannot be said for the HND. Besides, we look down on the HND ourselves in Nigeria, why then would international bodies regard it any more than we do.

Many employers today may not even include HND as one of the qualifications required for job vacancy positions. In light of this, HND holders may sometimes get automatically disqualified before even getting a chance at interview.

Another key point is, an HND holder may secure a good job real quick compared to a third class BSc holder, but the effect of this is that in the long run, a HND holder who fails to upgrade his certificate to a BSc may find himself bowing to that third class BSc holder (who has now added to his qualifications) whom he had left behind all those years ago.

Well, not to sound bias :

Over the years, Polytechnic graduates have proven themselves to be in no way inferior to their counterparts in the university.

Today, a polytechnic student can stand shoulder to shoulder with an undergraduate in the university and even surpass him/her. Besides, Polytechnics have being known to conduct more research and practical works than the university. This prepares the students adequately for what is needed to face the outside world.

In conclusion, it would be wrong of me to declare a third class degree as better than the HND.

So here we are, what's your view.

Graduating with an HND or a Third Class BSC Degree - Which is better?

SOURCE : http://eduregard.com/hnd-holder-vs-third-class-degree-bsc-holder/

it's fundamentally wrong to make such a comparison. The HND holder is taught to become a technologist. His line of work differs totally to that of the Scientist. The backwardness in this country has created an unnecessary monetary gap between two closely related job qualification. If things are the way they should be, suchbquestions like this needn't not be asked.
Re: HND Holder Vs Third Class Degree Bsc Holder: Which Is Better? - EDUREGARD by samueljeri(m): 4:52pm On Jul 08, 2016
Topic Dat touches

Re: HND Holder Vs Third Class Degree Bsc Holder: Which Is Better? - EDUREGARD by kayol2012: 5:16pm On Jul 08, 2016
I try as much as possible to stay off topics like this " comparing HND and BSC". I have HND in Accountancy and also doubles as Chartered Accountant with years of experience. Im confident no Bsc graduate can intimidate me in my profession because i have consistently proven and assiduously tried to develop myself both mentally and in all spheres. I see HND as a means to an end and does not define my target, ambition and vision. I have on several occasion headed department littered with Bsc and at times 2nd degree. I am the pioneer staff of the company i work with in Nigeria with a company i work with and this happened after having interviewed countless BSc graduates. You can not outgrow your mentality. Succinctly put, If a HND holder strongly limits and believe he/she is inferior to BSc then so be it. Do not generalize the issue of 4 or 5 credits as i have A, b's and never failed a subject in waec. Self believe, continuous development and HND/Bsc would not define me.

5 Likes 3 Shares

Re: HND Holder Vs Third Class Degree Bsc Holder: Which Is Better? - EDUREGARD by sammyscholar(m): 5:46pm On Jul 08, 2016
Fynestboi:
Most probably, contrary to your belief, this is no fight between HND and Degree, we are just here to check and balance. Having an HND and having a Third Class BSC Degree, which one is better concerning regards for each in the employment market.

First of all, Definition of Terms for some of us who might not be so sure of what HND and Third Class BSC are :

HND Holder is one who has completed a course program at a Polytechnic in Nigeria. The certificate awarded upon completion of the program is the Higher National Diploma (HND).

BSc Holder is one who has completed an undergraduate program at a University in Nigeria. The degree awarded upon completion of the program is a Bachelor Degree (BSc).

Now, my own opinion :
Since time past the HND has always being considered inferior to the BSc. This, at least, was the idea inculcated in us by the colonial masters and this mentality is what many of us still hold onto today, which is not supposed to be.

It is also important that we know that the university is an internationally recognized higher institution of learning all around the world. As such, a third class BSc holder may sometimes have the opportunity of furthering their studies in a way that the HND holder cannot because a BSc is recognized everywhere while same cannot be said for the HND. Besides, we look down on the HND ourselves in Nigeria, why then would international bodies regard it any more than we do.

Many employers today may not even include HND as one of the qualifications required for job vacancy positions. In light of this, HND holders may sometimes get automatically disqualified before even getting a chance at interview.

Another key point is, an HND holder may secure a good job real quick compared to a third class BSc holder, but the effect of this is that in the long run, a HND holder who fails to upgrade his certificate to a BSc may find himself bowing to that third class BSc holder (who has now added to his qualifications) whom he had left behind all those years ago.

Well, not to sound bias :

Over the years, Polytechnic graduates have proven themselves to be in no way inferior to their counterparts in the university.

Today, a polytechnic student can stand shoulder to shoulder with an undergraduate in the university and even surpass him/her. Besides, Polytechnics have being known to conduct more research and practical works than the university. This prepares the students adequately for what is needed to face the outside world.

In conclusion, it would be wrong of me to declare a third class degree as better than the HND.

So here we are, what's your view.

Graduating with an HND or a Third Class BSC Degree - Which is better?

SOURCE : http://eduregard.com/hnd-holder-vs-third-class-degree-bsc-holder/
well, I blame polytechnic students for this. Bring a first class student in any repute University in Nigeria and let's engage ourselves. Then, we can know which is better. Forget why poly was established in the first instance!
Let us face the present day reality.
Re: HND Holder Vs Third Class Degree Bsc Holder: Which Is Better? - EDUREGARD by ikbnice(m): 5:53pm On Jul 08, 2016
sammyscholar:
well, I blame polytechnic students for this. Bring a first class student in any repute University in Nigeria and let's engage ourselves. Then, we can know which is better. Forget why poly was established in the first instance and Let us face the present day reality.
If only a large percentage of polytecnic students are half as brilliant as you are.
Re: HND Holder Vs Third Class Degree Bsc Holder: Which Is Better? - EDUREGARD by Lordbinsmar: 7:12pm On Jul 08, 2016
emperorgoke:
Typing from experience, in Engineering sphere, Poly graduates are far far ahead nd better than B.tech, in fact, ND2 students engineering are better than 400l University students. While in social sciences and management, University is the best, that is when we can compare 3rd class B. Sc with HND.
But Sir saying that a Nd 2 student in a polytechnic is better than a 400 level student in a university is Blasphemy.
more over students don't study pure engineering in a polytechnic,what they study is Engineering Technology.
An Engineering graduates from a polytechnic are mostly employed as Engineering Technologist,while that of a university as an Engineer.
Please work more on your research and stop confusing the general public on Nairaland.
Re: HND Holder Vs Third Class Degree Bsc Holder: Which Is Better? - EDUREGARD by vickyboaz: 10:10pm On Jul 08, 2016
Well...I would rather get HND than a third class Bsc
Re: HND Holder Vs Third Class Degree Bsc Holder: Which Is Better? - EDUREGARD by Cutehector(m): 11:13pm On Jul 08, 2016
kayol2012:
I try as much as possible to stay off topics like this " comparing HND and BSC". I have HND in Accountancy and also doubles as Chartered Accountant with years of experience. Im confident no Bsc graduate can intimidate me in my profession because i have consistently proven and assiduously tried to develop myself both mentally and in all spheres. I see HND as a means to an end and does not define my target, ambition and vision. I have on several occasion headed department littered with Bsc and at times 2nd degree. I am the pioneer staff of the company i work with in Nigeria with a company i work with and this happened after having interviewed countless BSc graduates. You can not outgrow your mentality. Succinctly put, If a HND holder strongly limits and believe he/she is inferior to BSc then so be it. Do not generalize the issue of 4 or 5 credits as i have A, b's and never failed a subject in waec. Self believe, continuous development and HND/Bsc would not define me.
people are better than u. Just as u are better
Re: HND Holder Vs Third Class Degree Bsc Holder: Which Is Better? - EDUREGARD by vickylala239: 7:35am On Jul 09, 2016
hotwax:

[size=15pt]
Let me explain how it works. I am not the employer of Labor.

There is HR department...

And there is my department. I must ensure whoever HR department is bringing possesses technical abilities required to deliver projects.

Cooked up story or not. Ask any IT employer around you. Same is the story.

HND/BSC does not count when it comes to Engineering and Technology.

HND even have an edge when it comes to practicals.[/size]

Your view sound bias and you know that....

One can easily tell that you hold HND...

Well Why then do you Ppl Dnt advertise for HND only...

Why then do top companies root for uni...

You are of a small firm,but bigger firm root for uni,it means you are yet to see What does bigger firms are seeing.... What this means is that a bigger firm cnt require your services only the small as you are not up to their standard...

Hnd is sometime cheaper to recruit as they do not attract Mega pay,unlike Bsc who could leave for a bigger shot later...

I put it to you that if you were holding uni degree,u probable culd be wrking in a bigger firm to day...you services is required in a smaller firm Cuz they cn afford you....

Only that an average Nigerian will deny all this as u abt to do so...
Re: HND Holder Vs Third Class Degree Bsc Holder: Which Is Better? - EDUREGARD by Nobody: 8:14am On Jul 09, 2016
I think this should be based on the grade of the HND Certificate.If it's distinction or upper credit,it's ten times better than a third class degree because an egg head remains an egg head even if he attended a university.
Re: HND Holder Vs Third Class Degree Bsc Holder: Which Is Better? - EDUREGARD by durai: 10:43am On Jul 09, 2016
timawoku:
3rd class is still far better especially if na correct university you go.(Like OAU, UNILORIN) HND bawo?
so wat makes oau nd unilorin beta dan oda unis
Re: HND Holder Vs Third Class Degree Bsc Holder: Which Is Better? - EDUREGARD by Nobody: 4:29pm On Jul 10, 2016
Your comparison is illogical. The question you could have asked should have been "HND or BSc. holders, which is better? OR "lower credit HND and 3rd class BSc Holder, which is better?
The purpose served by each of the qualifications varies. We cant say that the holders of one are more intelligent than the holders of the other., it all depends on the individual.
Re: HND Holder Vs Third Class Degree Bsc Holder: Which Is Better? - EDUREGARD by kayol2012: 2:44pm On Jul 12, 2016
vickylala239:

I have HND and also a chartered accountant. Worked with 3 multinationals and 3 indigenous companies in the space of 6 years. You guys should stop deluding yourselves about this BSC. Read this and change your mindset about BSC http://www.premiumtimesng.com/news/headlines/206737-nigerian-universities-fail-make-list-worlds-top-1000.html. When you say HND is cheaper to recruit, i laugh is foreign language. Are you speaking from your point of view or generalizing? My brother that was a fallacious and misleading statement. I am the highest earner in my company with BSC and even second degree in UK Hull University to be precise. Be cautious when you are making a general statement and argue like a graduate. Always use a caveat and put you stand to be corrected. Im cautious when i debate issues with your ilk.

Your view sound bias and you know that....

One can easily tell that you hold HND...

Well Why then do you Ppl Dnt advertise for HND only...

Why then do top companies root for uni...

You are of a small firm,but bigger firm root for uni,it means you are yet to see What does bigger firms are seeing.... What this means is that a bigger firm cnt require your services only the small as you are not up to their standard...

Hnd is sometime cheaper to recruit as they do not attract Mega pay,unlike Bsc who could leave for a bigger shot later...

I put it to you that if you were holding uni degree,u probable culd be wrking in a bigger firm to day...you services is required in a smaller firm Cuz they cn afford you....

Only that an average Nigerian will deny all this as u abt to do so...
Re: HND Holder Vs Third Class Degree Bsc Holder: Which Is Better? - EDUREGARD by AngelAhnie(f): 3:54pm On Jul 12, 2016
Re: HND Holder Vs Third Class Degree Bsc Holder: Which Is Better? - EDUREGARD by kayol2012: 11:06am On Oct 06, 2016
[quote author=kayol2012 post=47466644][/quote]
I have worked in Four Multinationals and two indigenous companies. Do you think its beans to pay 500K to staff with other benefits? What is your definition of small company so that i can school you?
Re: HND Holder Vs Third Class Degree Bsc Holder: Which Is Better? - EDUREGARD by MrCork: 9:51pm On Jul 27, 2017
cindybaby22:

not in govt establishments.
during my nysc, the vp couldn't attain the position of a principal because he had hnd.

^^^dyammm... loooookat ice cream! cheesy
Re: HND Holder Vs Third Class Degree Bsc Holder: Which Is Better? - EDUREGARD by Nobody: 9:44pm On Apr 04, 2021
My question goes for the federal government, why not the FG cancel the HND or they should upgrade it to Bsc so that all this bullshit will stop.. or the polytechnic to stop admitting them after OND/OD
Re: HND Holder Vs Third Class Degree Bsc Holder: Which Is Better? - EDUREGARD by Paulgetrich: 9:22am On Mar 31
The main difference between an HND (Higher National Diploma) and a BSc (Bachelor of Science) is the level of study and the focus of the programs.

An HND is a vocational qualification that is equivalent to the first two years of a bachelor's degree. It provides practical, hands-on training and is often more focused on specific skills and industry knowledge.

On the other hand, a BSc is a full undergraduate degree typically completed over three or four years, depending on the country and the specific program. It offers a broader and more theoretical education in a specific field of study, and often includes a final-year research project or dissertation.

In terms of career prospects, a BSc may provide more opportunities for further education and specialization, while an HND is often valued for its practical relevance to specific industries.

Let me pull your legs.😃

The first and major difference is the name; HND 👉 Higher National Diploma ;where as BSc 👉 Bachelor of Science.

The second difference is the aims and objectives of the programme. HND is basically vocational training with no plans for research and diversities. BSc is universal and more diverse. A BSc holder can go into research and teacher with of well grounded theoritical knowledge.

Thirdly, Mode of admission and training. The admission requirements into BSc programme are more stringent than that of HND. There vigorous ways to pass before gaining admission into BSc programme than HND.

Fourth, a HND graduate is not qualified to teach a BSc programme without a postgraduate diploma course, however, a BSc holder can be employed as an Assistant lecture to teach HND programme.

Since HND programme is not versatile in research, unlike a BSC holder, a HND can not gain direct admission into Masters Degree programme unless through a postgraduate diploma course.

Fifth, the caliber of teachers lecturing HND programme and BSc programme are not same. With a masters degree, a lecturer in the HND programme can reach the peak of his career becoming the provost or rector. However, a Master degree teacher in a BSc programme is just an assistant lecturer and may never go pass the level of Lecture 1 or senior lecturer. Teachers of BSc programme are mostly PhD who are Readers, Associate and some full professors

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (Reply)

Officers Declared Wanted For Insulting Ibrahim Idris Police IG In Public. Photos / BAT Nigeria Salary Scale: Salary Of British American Tobacco PLC Of Nigeria / Ranks Of The Nigerian Security And Civil Defence Corps (NSCDC)

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 79
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.