Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,152,743 members, 7,817,051 topics. Date: Saturday, 04 May 2024 at 01:09 AM

Is It Really Possible To Be An Atheist And A Homophobe At The Same Time??? - Religion - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Religion / Is It Really Possible To Be An Atheist And A Homophobe At The Same Time??? (1008 Views)

A Discussion On God And Consciousness Between An Atheist And A Pantheist. / Mark Zuckerberg Is Not An Atheist? / Atheist And Scientist,what Is Your Problem With The Dolphin? (2) (3) (4)

(1) (Reply) (Go Down)

Is It Really Possible To Be An Atheist And A Homophobe At The Same Time??? by Nobody: 12:50am On Jul 08, 2016
[color=#770077][/color][b][/b] I wanna know those wonderful nairalanders that are atheists and homophobes at the same time!

If u don't believe in the existence of God and u hate the concept of homosexuality pls can I see ur tongues out! tongue..
Re: Is It Really Possible To Be An Atheist And A Homophobe At The Same Time??? by Lucario007(m): 1:24am On Jul 08, 2016
Bridgetania:
[color=#770077][/color][b][/b] I wanna know those wonderful nairalanders that are atheists and homophobes at the same time!

If u don't believe in the existence of God and u hate the concept of homosexuality pls can I see ur tongues out! tongue..
People who are homophobic may or may not have very little to do with religion. Whilst in Islamic countries it is understandable, In several other countries in the world with massive numbers of unreligious people we still have cases where homosexuality is banned.
Its a choice quite frankly, some atheists/agnostics are close-minded people who are so insecure about their sexuality so they despise the concept of homosexualism because they fear that they could become gay if they started to accept it.
On the other hand, there are Christians and people like me who are confident enough in out sexuality that we have no fear or hatred for our fellow human beings simply due to their choice of sexual orientation.
Or, simply because a thousand year old book tells us that they are evil.

2 Likes

Re: Is It Really Possible To Be An Atheist And A Homophobe At The Same Time??? by Weah96: 2:26am On Jul 08, 2016
It is. The atheists I know are ALL homophobic. On the flip side, every gay guy I meet is a Jesus freak. It's one hell of an enigma.
Re: Is It Really Possible To Be An Atheist And A Homophobe At The Same Time??? by hopefulLandlord: 7:31am On Jul 08, 2016
People are still grouping atheists to an organised people who should live the same way and think with the same mind

An atheist is simply someone who lacks belief in any god

That's the ONLY thing that cuts across all atheist

Anything and everything else can differ from one atheist to another

An atheist may be homophobic and another may not, doesn't make one of them theist

5 Likes 1 Share

Re: Is It Really Possible To Be An Atheist And A Homophobe At The Same Time??? by Nobody: 7:56am On Jul 08, 2016
Lucario007:

People who are homophobic may or may not have very little to do with religion. Whilst in Islamic countries it is understandable, In several other countries in the world with massive numbers of unreligious people we still have cases where homosexuality is banned.
Its a choice quite frankly, some atheists/agnostics are close-minded people who are so insecure about their sexuality so they despise the concept of homosexualism because they fear that they could become gay if they started to accept it.
On the other hand, there are Christians and people like me who are confident enough in out sexuality that we have no fear or hatred for our fellow human beings simply due to their choice of sexual orientation.
Or, simply because a thousand year old book tells us that they are evil.

Wow!!..it seems u don't accept any book written by man's inspiration either??
Re: Is It Really Possible To Be An Atheist And A Homophobe At The Same Time??? by Nobody: 8:05am On Jul 08, 2016
hopefulLandlord:
People are still grouping atheists to an organised people who should live the same way and think with the same mind

An atheist is simply someone who lacks belief in any god

That's the ONLY thing that cuts across all atheist

Anything and everything else can differ from one atheist to another

An atheist may be homophobic and another may not, doesn't make one of them theist

Then my question is; why should an atheist be homophobic?..what's their grounds on being homophobic?
A theist tells u. 'I'm homophobic because my religion condemns the act( what an average religious man says)
But in my own sense of reasoning, homophobia shouldn't exist in the atheist mind, why should u hate homosexuals or what dey do?..since there is no god and everyone evolved on his own, everyone has a pattern to live, so deal wid it!
Re: Is It Really Possible To Be An Atheist And A Homophobe At The Same Time??? by UyiIredia(m): 8:06am On Jul 08, 2016
@ Bridgetania Yes it is. There are atheists who are homophobic.
Re: Is It Really Possible To Be An Atheist And A Homophobe At The Same Time??? by Nobody: 8:07am On Jul 08, 2016
Weah96:
It is. The atheists I know are ALL homophobic. On the flip side, every gay guy I meet is a Jesus freak. It's one hell of an enigma.

But it shouldn't be so! It is a confirmation to them that they have the qualities of the same God they claim to live in denial of!..they possess a conscience that tells them, that dey is sometin not just right wit 2 men being together!..
Re: Is It Really Possible To Be An Atheist And A Homophobe At The Same Time??? by Nobody: 8:09am On Jul 08, 2016
UyiIredia:
@ Bridgetania Yes it is. There are atheists who are homophobic.

Well! I would love to know just five reasons why they are homophobic..just 5! tongue
Re: Is It Really Possible To Be An Atheist And A Homophobe At The Same Time??? by UyiIredia(m): 8:12am On Jul 08, 2016
Bridgetania:

Well! I would love to know just five reasons why they are homophobic..just 5! tongue

Unfortunately I can't tell you that.
Re: Is It Really Possible To Be An Atheist And A Homophobe At The Same Time??? by Nobody: 8:33am On Jul 08, 2016
Bridgetania:

But it shouldn't be so! It is a confirmation to them that they have the qualities of the same God they claim to live in denial of!..they possess a conscience that tells them, that dey is sometin not just right wit 2 men being together!..

Why?
How is doing what you think is right or wrong a confirmation that you believe in god?

Why do we have christians gays then?

1 Like 1 Share

Re: Is It Really Possible To Be An Atheist And A Homophobe At The Same Time??? by hopefulLandlord: 8:46am On Jul 08, 2016
Bridgetania:

Then my question is; why should an atheist be homophobic?..what's their grounds on being homophobic?
A theist tells u. 'I'm homophobic because my religion condemns the act( what an average religious man says)
But in my own sense of reasoning, homophobia shouldn't exist in the atheist mind, why should u hate homosexuals or what dey do?..since there is no god and everyone evolved on his own, everyone has a pattern to live, so deal wid it!

Like I said, an atheist is someone who lacks belief in any god

If he's homophobic or not, he's still an atheist

A theist is someone that has belief in a god or gods

If he's homophobic or not, he's still a theist

Cut the long story
Re: Is It Really Possible To Be An Atheist And A Homophobe At The Same Time??? by Lucario007(m): 8:54am On Jul 08, 2016
hopefulLandlord:

Like I said, an atheist is someone who lacks belief in any god

If he's homophobic or not, he's still an atheist

A theist is someone that has belief in a god or gods

If he's homophobic or not, he's still a theist

Cut the long story

Sadly the op is seemingly just seeking ways to connect so called "Christian" traits with atheism.
She might has well as said, "Do atheists hate theft and murder? But in the bible God also condemns it! Aren't you supposed to be against God, so why do also condemn what God has condemned?"

5 Likes

Re: Is It Really Possible To Be An Atheist And A Homophobe At The Same Time??? by Weah96: 2:53pm On Jul 08, 2016
Bridgetania:

Then what would you say about the gay men who are Jesus freaks?
http://www.gaychristian101.com/does-romans-12627-condemn-homosexuals.html
Re: Is It Really Possible To Be An Atheist And A Homophobe At The Same Time??? by plaetton: 3:13pm On Jul 08, 2016
Homophobia is a cultural bias. People, all people normally resent practices that are sacrilegious in their cultures .

Religious people add religion as just another reason to be homophobic, whereas, the real issue is culture.

Having said that, atheists are usually enlightened people who appreciate history as well as biology,and are therefore least likely hate or discriminate against homosexuals.

2 Likes

Re: Is It Really Possible To Be An Atheist And A Homophobe At The Same Time??? by Nobody: 3:20pm On Jul 08, 2016
Bridgetania:

Do you think Homosexuality is a good practise?
Re: Is It Really Possible To Be An Atheist And A Homophobe At The Same Time??? by Nobody: 4:58pm On Jul 08, 2016
[size=15pt]What Is My Business With what someone has to do With his/her Body at Op??[/size]
Re: Is It Really Possible To Be An Atheist And A Homophobe At The Same Time??? by Nobody: 5:50pm On Jul 08, 2016
Despite the valiant efforts of people in this thread to educate the OP, the OP seems to prefer to walk the fine line between playing dense and not understanding.

Shame.

2 Likes

Re: Is It Really Possible To Be An Atheist And A Homophobe At The Same Time??? by iamtewwy(m): 6:22pm On Jul 08, 2016
I am an atheist

I am not gay

I dnt condem/hate gays

I believe every1 has the right to do watever pleases them with their own body

Not my bizness
Re: Is It Really Possible To Be An Atheist And A Homophobe At The Same Time??? by Nobody: 11:39pm On Jul 08, 2016
Reyginus:
Do you think Homosexuality is a good practise?

Never said so :p
Re: Is It Really Possible To Be An Atheist And A Homophobe At The Same Time??? by Nobody: 11:40pm On Jul 08, 2016
SirWere:
Despite the valiant efforts of people in this thread to educate the OP, the OP seems to prefer to walk the fine line between playing dense and not understanding.

Shame.

Like seriously!..I might want to get ur own education!
Re: Is It Really Possible To Be An Atheist And A Homophobe At The Same Time??? by Nobody: 11:43pm On Jul 08, 2016
Lucario007:

Sadly the op is seemingly just seeking ways to connect so called "Christian" traits with atheism.
She might has well as said, "Do atheists hate theft and murder? But in the bible God also condemns it! Aren't you supposed to be against God, so why do also condemn what God has condemned?"

Lolzz!..why should I be against God?..I'm not an atheist, neither I'm I an homophobe!
Re: Is It Really Possible To Be An Atheist And A Homophobe At The Same Time??? by Nobody: 11:50pm On Jul 08, 2016
BeastAmbition:

Why?
How is doing what you think is right or wrong a confirmation that you believe in god?

Why do we have christians gays then?

Hahahah!..if u r a christian den u wil understand this!..Lucifer himself even believes in the Almighty God, but that hasn't altered his nature.
Some homosexuals are naturally gay! They never choosed to be gay just like they never decided on their gender type, that dosnt stop them from being christians, now as christians, sice they already know the word of God, its just for them to allow the word of God change dem to who God really wants dem to be. Ofcus homosexuals belong to every religious,socio-political class.
Re: Is It Really Possible To Be An Atheist And A Homophobe At The Same Time??? by hopefulLandlord: 6:33pm On Jan 24, 2018
Hey Bridgetania, in your diary you said you're "99% gay" but on this thread you didn't sound like you're gay, you used "homosexuals" in your posts here like a group you don't belong to which is even obvious by your last post on this thread

I'm just curious about why the apparent discrepancy? or is the part about calling yourself 99% gay an offhand or sarcastic one?

NB: Just for the record, what led me to your diary was that thread about suicide and I saw someone pay compliments to your diary which made me have a look at it
Re: Is It Really Possible To Be An Atheist And A Homophobe At The Same Time??? by Nobody: 8:22pm On Jan 24, 2018
hopefulLandlord:
Hey Bridgetania, in your diary you said you're "99% gay" but on this thread you didn't sound like you're gay, you used "homosexuals" in your posts here like a group you don't belong to which is even obvious by your last post on this thread

I'm just curious about why the apparent discrepancy? or is the part about calling yourself 99% gay an offhand or sarcastic one?

NB: Just for the record, what led me to your diary was that thread about suicide and I saw someone pay compliments to your diary which made me have a look at it

ahhhh..so u noticed... When i made my comments, i never stated that i had urges towards men either. Like the Op stated, fornication includes both homosexual acts and otherwise.

I only tabled my matter as it bothered me, i dont have to scream "i'm gay" at every thread and mention..

Or do u think,gays too dont have sexual attacks ??

I know when the craves and urges are normal, and i know when there's fowl play.
Inasmuch as i wanna work on myself to become a better me, i dont have to be introducing my sexual orientation before tableing my case. Period. No descrepancy.
Re: Is It Really Possible To Be An Atheist And A Homophobe At The Same Time??? by Nobody: 8:32pm On Jan 24, 2018
hopefulLandlord:

ohhh..and plus, i just realised you are refering to a post i made 2 fucking years ago. Wow, kudos.. All i can say is..i've been a better person, and i've attained boldness to accept who i am. Besides i been just dey look for atheist trouble, i checked, theres no other topic with a vey good load of controversy than homosexuality, thats why i used it, that was why there was a need for the "descrepancy".
Then and now are different. Plus, i never condemn, i just played the devils advocate. Now are we done? cheesy

(1) (Reply)

Pics: Pastor Enoch Adeboye Spotted In The Waiting Room Of Virgin Train In London / Chris Brown Talks About Hearing GOD / Where Was God Before He Created The Heaven And The Earth?

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 46
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.