Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,152,729 members, 7,816,999 topics. Date: Friday, 03 May 2024 at 10:38 PM

Why The Ban On Street Hawkers Is Necessary: My View. - Politics - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Politics / Why The Ban On Street Hawkers Is Necessary: My View. (1621 Views)

Obaseki Celebrates On Street After Receiving Certificate Of Return From Inec / Fayose Takes A Walk On Street After Anti-Fayose Protest / Lagos To Jail Street Hawkers From July 1- Ambode (2) (3) (4)

(1) (Reply) (Go Down)

Why The Ban On Street Hawkers Is Necessary: My View. by photoshoot(m): 8:59pm On Jul 08, 2016
On the 1st of July, 2016. It would be recalled that the Lagos Government decided to go tough on street trading and hawking after hoodlums vandalized Bus Rapid Transit (BRT) vehicles in Maryland last week following the death of a hawker.

STREET HAWKERS

Different reactions from various quarters followed the decision made by the state government.
Some believing the state government acted in an insensitive manner to the lower class citizens of the state. Some others believed the fine of 90,000naira is too much.
That said... What brought about this write up is not to support the government, but to state why the move isn't so much a bad move.

So I would be listing some few reasons/advantages why I think the move is long overdue and very needed not only in Lagos state, but in all the 36 states of the federation.

1. Cleanliness

Yes, this tops my list of reasons why the ban is very needed. I have lived in Lagos all my life and have had the opportunity to travel out of the country as well, and I can categorically say that a one determining factor why those other countries have neater or cleaner highways is because of lack of street hawkers!
Let's take this example to elaborate this point better: after a long day at work and in a terrible traffic, that yogurt or bottle water or the nations official traffic snacks lacasera + gala vendor/hawkers comes to your rescue.

[img]http://4.bp..com/_Mf2suMFxc0U/TG6pla4-q9I/AAAAAAAAAFg/HMhP4XyXG0k/s1600/DSC_0008.JPG[/img]

In few minutes you are done with devouring it. What comes to our mind next? Dispose the trash! And where do we dispose it? Your guess is as good as mine, on the road.
And then you ever wonder why the state is always so dirty? Well, you caused it, but it could have been avoided, how? If the street vendor wasn't available, you would have survived and also you won't be part of those littering the highways.

Now imagine what would happen when thousands, millions of people do this on a daily basis?
Think no further, here is what would happen.

[img]http://3.bp..com/_V9VXai14_Og/SWNlOdgggrI/AAAAAAAAE4w/P9V9RNFVoM8/s400/65119-Clogged-Gutter-0.jpg[/img]
BLOCKED DRAINAGE

2. FLOODING:Taking a stroll after heavy rainfall in Lagos, you wouldn't deny most gutters are always blocked by dirts which would in turn cause over-flooded drainage. We could say dirts from individual houses could result to it as well, but in Lagos even the low class residential have environmental sanitation cleaners coming to dispose their dirt's for them for a monthly fee. So it is safe to say most blocked drainage are caused by road littering. Now, what if the street hawkers weren't available? our gutters wouldn't be blocked always.

3. DROP IN RATE OF HIGHWAY ROBBERY

After the inauguration of Gov. Akinwunmi Ambode, highway robbery was on the increase, in fact lots of us believed Ambode was incompetent because he seemed to be clueless as to what to do about the situation. But thankfully, that has reduced a bit.
But I believe the problem has been reduced to a minimal level.
But a ban on the hawkers would "kill" it totally.

[img]http://3.bp..com/-1OLok-S8S9o/VbgqFTNyqAI/AAAAAAACdYA/kfCjxVjK4iA/s1600/20150728_213835.jpg[/img]

4. SAFETY OF LIFE

Take what led to the said ban of street hawkers, it was the death of a vendor, who was going about his duty, was crushed to death by a BRT vehicle. It could have been avoided if he was not doing that.

All these are to me advantages of why the ban shouldn't be lifted in the state and should also be spread round the Nation. But we should all continue to remind the government that those who have been banned are left with nothing doing, any form of empowerment program would be the best at a time like this.

Written by Photoshoot
Unilag.

Cc: lalasticlala, mynd44
Re: Why The Ban On Street Hawkers Is Necessary: My View. by AngelAhnie(f): 9:12pm On Jul 08, 2016
OK
Re: Why The Ban On Street Hawkers Is Necessary: My View. by Lamzee(m): 9:17pm On Jul 08, 2016
I love your points, buh at least they should find alternative for them

1 Like

Re: Why The Ban On Street Hawkers Is Necessary: My View. by Nobody: 9:22pm On Jul 08, 2016
Interesting point of view but I disagree with your points 3 and 4

The rate of armed robbery will surely increase with the rate of joblessness that will follow this banishment of hawking. Nobody can deny Nigeria is facing one of the toughest economic crisis at the moment therefore to deprive some people a means of survival is not only thoughtless but downright cruel! If you think you've seen robbery with the hawkers on the road, wait and see what will happen now they're off the streets.

Lastly, the Nigerian government doesn't care for the lives of its citenzry, have they finished stealing the money that they'll care who dies or lives undecided. This ban on street hawking without an alternative should show how much 'love' they have for Nigerians.

Ambode, like his predecessor, is towing a foolish path which we're all bound to regret someday soon undecided

2 Likes 2 Shares

Re: Why The Ban On Street Hawkers Is Necessary: My View. by photoshoot(m): 9:23pm On Jul 08, 2016
Lamzee:
I love your points, buh at least they should find alternative for them

Thanks sir,
Finding alternative is very important, I stated that in my last paragraph

Empowerment programs

Thanks once again.
Re: Why The Ban On Street Hawkers Is Necessary: My View. by photoshoot(m): 9:24pm On Jul 08, 2016
AngelAhnie:
OK

??
You can add or subtract... smiley
Re: Why The Ban On Street Hawkers Is Necessary: My View. by photoshoot(m): 10:21pm On Jul 08, 2016
Suigeneris93:
Interesting point of view but I disagree with your points 3 and 4

The rate of armed robbery will surely increase with the rate of joblessness that will follow this banishment of hawking. Nobody can deny Nigeria is facing one of the toughest economic crisis at the moment therefore to deprive some people a means of survival is not only thoughtless but downright cruel! If you think you've seen robbery with the hawkers on the road, wait and see what will happen now they're off the streets.

Lastly, the Nigerian government doesn't care for the lives of its citenzry, have they finished stealing the money that they'll care who dies or lives undecided. This ban on street hawking without an alternative should show how much 'love' they have for Nigerians.

Ambode, like his predecessor, is towing a foolish path which we're all bound to regret someday soon undecided

Nice and salient points raised there ma.
The situation of robbery is a lose-lose situation for the government until something/alternative is provided to cater for those affected.

Your 2nd point, well said....

Is Ambode towing the path of BRF?
I do think he is performing outstandingly better though.
Re: Why The Ban On Street Hawkers Is Necessary: My View. by Nobody: 10:32pm On Jul 08, 2016
photoshoot:

Nice and salient points raised there ma.
The situation of robbery is a lose-lose situation for the government until something/alternative is provided to cater for those affected.

Your 2nd point, well said....

Is Ambode towing the path of BRF?
I do think he is performing outstandingly better though.

I'm not comparing the performance of the both of them just some thoughtless policies they introduced. BRF introduced the helmet policy then on okada riders and almost banned them in Lagos, the increase in robbery rates taught him better. As for Ambode, he'll learn too smiley

1 Like

Re: Why The Ban On Street Hawkers Is Necessary: My View. by pointstores(m): 10:37pm On Jul 08, 2016
at these point of nigeria economy it is not a good policy at these point nigeria is getting it is not the joy of anybody to hawk government does not have plan for nigeria citizen

1 Like

Re: Why The Ban On Street Hawkers Is Necessary: My View. by photoshoot(m): 10:40pm On Jul 08, 2016
Suigeneris93:

I'm not comparing the performance of the both of them just some thoughtless policies they introduced. BRF introduced the helmet policy then on okada riders and almost banned them in Lagos, the increase in robbery rates taught him better. As for Ambode, he'll learn too smiley

Well, introduction of helmet was because the death rate from okada accident was on the high and that was why he proposed the banning as well.In the long run, this policies are to safeguard human lives.
The only problem is they should create an alternative for those affected.
Re: Why The Ban On Street Hawkers Is Necessary: My View. by photoshoot(m): 10:46pm On Jul 08, 2016
pointstores:
at these point of nigeria economy it is not a good policy at these point nigeria is getting it is not the joy of anybody to hawk government does not have plan for nigeria citizen

No matter how favourable the economy is, some people would still hawk.
Government might have acted insensitive, by not providing beforehand
Re: Why The Ban On Street Hawkers Is Necessary: My View. by pointstores(m): 10:52pm On Jul 08, 2016
photoshoot:

No matter how favourable the economy is, some people would still hawk.
Government might have acted insensitive, by not providing beforehand
even U ARE RIGHT EXACTLY MY POINT PROVISION SHOULD BE MADE FOR THE POOR..

1 Like

(1) (Reply)

“I Will Burn The Nigerian Passport!” By: Ogbo Awoke Ogbo / Lessons From VP Osibanjo's Visit To The SS And SE. / Buhari’s Letter To Senate Names Osinbajo ‘coordinator’ Of Nation’s Affairs,

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 40
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.