Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,154,164 members, 7,821,948 topics. Date: Wednesday, 08 May 2024 at 10:34 PM

Top Shell Staff Commits Suicide - Nairaland / General - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Top Shell Staff Commits Suicide (833 Views)

ARIK Staff, Grace Utum Missing Since 1st Of January / 19 Year Old Ghanian Girl Commits Suicide After S*X Tape Leaks Online (photos) / 18-yr-old Victim Of Gang molestation Commits Suicide (2) (3) (4)

(1) (Reply) (Go Down)

Top Shell Staff Commits Suicide by tayoTFC(m): 10:42am On Sep 10, 2009
Atop staff with Shell Petroleum Development Company (SPDC), Fred Oghumu, 55 yesterday committed suicide by hanging himself in his house at Idera Street, Off Awoyokun Street, Onipanu, Lagos.

The deceased, it was learnt, was scheduled to appear in a Lagos court today in a case of money laundering instituted against him by his employers.

P.M.News gathered that neighbours woke up early in the morning yesterday to discover the dangling body of Oghumu who hails from Warri in Orokpe Local Government Area of Delta State.

Investigations revealed that Oghumu removed the two SIMS in his GSM telephones and this made it impossible for anyone to reach him.

It was also gathered that the deceased left a typewritten suicide note. The note was found on him when his body was removed but its content was not disclosed to anyone by those who removed his corpse.

However, a neighbour told P.M.News that the late Oghumu was always lamenting the termination of his appointment by Shell. He was fond of uttering such words as: “my appointment was terminated.” The source said he repeated this many times before his death.

“He was always in pensive mood, keeping to himself most of the time. Nobody believed he could go this far until this morning when we learnt he hanged himself,” said a neighbour who craved anonymity.

Reacting to his death, his former wife and mother of his first child, Ovie Oghumu, 25, denied any knowledge of his state of mind lately, saying: “Since he drove me out of his house, I have been serving my God. If I have any hand in his death, the Lord I serve will fish me out.”

She added: “I am very sure my God does not sleep, whoever killed my husband will be exposed very soon. I thank God for my son, Ovie, at 25, he is not only matured but he has also given his life to Christ. He attends church regularly and abstains from smoking, drinking or any other vices.”

As at the time P.M.News left the tragic scene, his wife, who lived with him till his last days, was not ready to speak with journalists but neighbours told our correspondent that she was just returning from the church when the body was being brought down.

The late Aghumu is survived by two children, one each from his two women.
Please note: although no board code and smiley buttons are shown, they are still usable.
Re: Top Shell Staff Commits Suicide by candylips(m): 11:22am On Sep 10, 2009
this life undecided
Re: Top Shell Staff Commits Suicide by maedan(f): 1:19pm On Sep 10, 2009
I'm always amazed when I hear a Nigerian committed suicide. It just isn't a popular option. This is very very sad though.
Re: Top Shell Staff Commits Suicide by candylips(m): 1:42pm On Sep 10, 2009
yea very weird
Re: Top Shell Staff Commits Suicide by bighead1(m): 7:27pm On Sep 29, 2009
G.O.M very sad
And apart from that u seem to read too much of news i think u should be a journalist

(1) (Reply)

Kidnapping And Armed Robbery / 190 On Action Watching Roki And Mrs Chima On Facebook / Jamb New Strategy For Students To Buy The Change Of Institution Card

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 12
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.