Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,154,978 members, 7,825,057 topics. Date: Sunday, 12 May 2024 at 03:15 AM

Is It Wise To Pay Tithe From Monthly Pension? - Religion - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Religion / Is It Wise To Pay Tithe From Monthly Pension? (2528 Views)

Daddy Freeze Reacts As Apostle Suleman Increases His Tithe From 10% To 30% / Makurdi Church Receives N42Million Tithe From An Anonymous Donor / Is Paying Tithe From MMM And Nairabet Money Biblically Right? (2) (3) (4)

(1) (Reply) (Go Down)

Is It Wise To Pay Tithe From Monthly Pension? by Nobody: 8:09am On Jul 10, 2016
My belief is that pension is part of your salary being kept aside for you in case of retirement and tithe is already being paid from this salary. Some people still pay tithe from this pension. My question is, Is it wise or more importantly ,Is it biblical?
I don't believe pension is actually an income.
Yours opinions please.
Re: Is It Wise To Pay Tithe From Monthly Pension? by Nobody: 8:12am On Jul 10, 2016
Oya all Redeemers in da house, corn don land oooo
Re: Is It Wise To Pay Tithe From Monthly Pension? by Nobody: 8:13am On Jul 10, 2016
E be like say dem just pay ur papa pension

Well it depends. If his salary was, for example, 50k and a pension of 5k was always removed remaining 45k

If he pays from his salary a tithe of N4,500 (from 45k) then he still has to pay tithe from his pension but if he pays N5000 (from 50k) tithe from his salary, then he's paid it in full b4 pension so no need to tithe anymore except he want make pastor chop

2 Likes

Re: Is It Wise To Pay Tithe From Monthly Pension? by dollyjoy(f): 8:15am On Jul 10, 2016
Yessmiley
Re: Is It Wise To Pay Tithe From Monthly Pension? by Tolexander: 8:22am On Jul 10, 2016
thaikun15:
My belief is that pension is part of your salary being kept aside for you in case of retirement and tithe is already being paid from this salary. Some people still pay tithe from this pension. My question is, Is it wise or more importantly ,Is it biblical?
Yours opinions please.
Tithe is the 10% of your earning!

When you were being paid your salary when you were working, for a faithful tither, you only deducted the tithe based on the calculation on the money you earned only. You didn't calculate based on Total amount of the salary (ie the amount earned + the amount being deducted for pension)

If you had paid your tithe using the latter calculation, 10% of the salary earned + amount kept for pension), then you may not pay Tithe again cos you had already done that.
Re: Is It Wise To Pay Tithe From Monthly Pension? by Debbywills(f): 8:29am On Jul 10, 2016
RadicallyBlunt:
E be like say dem just pay ur papa pension

Well it depends. If his salary was, for example, 50k and a pension of 5k was always removed remaining 45k

If he pays from his salary a tithe of N4,500 (from 45k) then he still has to pay tithe from his pension but if he pays N5000 (from 50k) tithe from his salary, then he's paid it in full b4 pension so no need to tithe anymore except he want make pastor chop

You've said it all.
BTW, I love your Moniker
Re: Is It Wise To Pay Tithe From Monthly Pension? by Nobody: 8:33am On Jul 10, 2016
It ain't right to pay tithe from any income whatsoever - Why not help the less privilege, instead of enriching your pastors pocket

5 Likes 5 Shares

Re: Is It Wise To Pay Tithe From Monthly Pension? by Nobody: 8:33am On Jul 10, 2016
Debbywills:

You've said it all.
BTW, I love your Moniker
Yeap. Thanks
Re: Is It Wise To Pay Tithe From Monthly Pension? by Debbywills(f): 8:36am On Jul 10, 2016
RadicallyBlunt:

Yeap. Thanks

You welcome!
Re: Is It Wise To Pay Tithe From Monthly Pension? by Nobody: 8:40am On Jul 10, 2016
BeastAmbition:
It ain't right to pay tithe from any income whatsoever - Why not help the less privilege, instead of enriching your pastors pocket

It is biblical plus you can pay tithe and help the less privilege as well
Re: Is It Wise To Pay Tithe From Monthly Pension? by Nobody: 8:40am On Jul 10, 2016
Tolexander:
Tithe is the 10% of your earning!

When you were being paid your salary when you were working, for a faithful tither, you only deducted the tithe based on the calculation on the money you earned only. You didn't calculate based on Total amount of the salary (ie the amount earned + the amount being deducted for pension)

If you had paid your tithe using the latter calculation, 10% of the salary earned + amount kept for pension), then you may not pay Tithe again cos you had already done that.

Thanks
Re: Is It Wise To Pay Tithe From Monthly Pension? by Nobody: 8:43am On Jul 10, 2016
thaikun15:

It is biblical plus you can pay tithe and help the less privilege as well

Paying of tithe is not biblical, your pastors made it so - do you have any passage to support your claim
Re: Is It Wise To Pay Tithe From Monthly Pension? by Nobody: 8:50am On Jul 10, 2016
BeastAmbition:

Paying of tithe is not biblical, your pastors made it so - do you have any passage to support your claim

Gen 14vs19-20. (The first tithe)
And he blessed him and said,
“Blessed be Abram by God Most High,
Possessor of heaven and earth;
and blessed be God Most High,
who has delivered your enemies into
your hand!”
And Abram gave him a tenth of
everything.

Don't forget Malachi 3vs10
Bring the full tithe into the storehouse, that there may be food in my house.
And thereby put me to the test, says the Lord of hosts, if I will not open the windows of heaven for you and pour down for you a blessing until there is no more need. I will rebuke the devourer for you, so that it will not
destroy the fruits of your soil, and your vine in the field shall not fail to bear, says the Lord of hosts. Then all nations will call you blessed, for you will be a land of delight, says the Lord of hosts.
Re: Is It Wise To Pay Tithe From Monthly Pension? by Nobody: 9:05am On Jul 10, 2016
thaikun15:

Gen 14vs19-20. (The first tithe)
And he blessed him and said,
“Blessed be Abram by God Most High,
Possessor of heaven and earth;
and blessed be God Most High,
who has delivered your enemies into
your hand!”
And Abram gave him a tenth of
everything.

Don't forget Malachi 3vs10
Bring the full tithe into the storehouse, that there may be food in my house.
And thereby put me to the test, says the Lord of hosts, if I will not open the windows of heaven for you and pour down for you a blessing until there is no more need. I will rebuke the devourer for you, so that it will not
destroy the fruits of your soil, and your vine in the field shall not fail to bear, says the Lord of hosts. Then all nations will call you blessed, for you will be a land of delight, says the Lord of hosts.

Okeydoke - If the church is entitle to a religious tax from is followers, the government too should be entitle to economy tax from the church!

1 Like 1 Share

Re: Is It Wise To Pay Tithe From Monthly Pension? by Uyoukowise: 9:06am On Jul 10, 2016
The whole system changed under the New Covenant. Notice what happened: 1. Jesus said the temple would be utterly destroyed "And, coming out, Jesus sent from the sanctuary. And His disciples approached to exhibit to Him the buildings of the sanctuary. Yet He, answering, said to them, 'Are you not observing all these? Verily, I am saying to you, Under no circumstances may a stone here be left on a stone, which shall not be DEMOLISHED.’" (Matt. 24:1-2). 2. Under the New Covenant, God does not dwell in temples made with hands, "The God Who makes the world and all that is in it, He, the Lord inherent of heaven and earth, is NOT dwelling in temples made by hands..." (Acts 17:24). 3. The true believers under the New Covenant are now God’s temple, "For YOU ARE THE TEMPLE OF THE LIVING GOD, according as God said, that I will be making My home and will be walking in them, and I will be their God, and they shall be My people" (II Cor. 6:16) . See also, (I Cor. 3:15 and I Cor. 1:19). 4. All theologians know that when the temple ceased, the priesthood officiating at the temple CEASED! 5. Each individual believer under the New Covenant forms a NEW priesthood, "Yet you are a chosen race, a ‘ROYAL PRIESTHOOD’..." (I Peter 2:9). How then, under the New Covenant, does a believer give a tenth, when he is supposed to give his all (Rom. 12:1), to a priesthood that does not exist, but now he himself is part of a priesthood (I Peter 2:9), at a temple that does not exist (Mat. 24:1-2), but rather he himself is the temple wherein God dwells? No longer do we have priests with spiritual infirmities interceding for us, but rather we have Christ Jesus as our perfect intercessor and High Priest seated at the right hand of the Majesty in the heavens (Heb. 7:28-8:1). At this time in history, Israel owes no tithe to anyone. And, of course, we Gentiles (who are a new creation and the true Israel of God--Gal. 6:16) were never instructed to tithe in the first place. Read all thirteen books of the apostle Paul to the gentiles and find one verse where he instructed Gentiles to pay one cent of tithe money to anyone.

1 Like

Re: Is It Wise To Pay Tithe From Monthly Pension? by Uyoukowise: 9:09am On Jul 10, 2016
Turn to Gal. 6:14-16: "Now may it not be mine to be boasting, except in the cross of our Lord Jesus Christ , through which the world has been crucified to me, and I to the world. For in Christ Jesus neither circumcision nor uncircumcision is anything, but a NEW CREATION. And whoever shall observe the elements by this rule, peace be on them, and mercy, also on the Israel of God." What is "... this rule...?" We are no longer doing things according to the flesh. Circumcision was the single most important ritual for a man in Israel to do. Yet circumcision is physical (of the letter and of the flesh,) even water baptism is physical (of the letter and of the flesh,) sacrificing animals is physical (of the letter and of the flesh), tithing is physical (of the letter and of the flesh,) etc., etc., etc. "...God, Who also makes us competent dispensers of a NEW covenant, not of the letter, but of the spirit , for the letter is killing, yet the spirit is vivifying [giving life] " (II Cor. 3:6). The physical is but a tiny microcosm of the spiritual macrocosm. Cutting a few centimeters of skin from a boy’s penis does not make him a spiritual man! But all of these rituals and ceremonies of the Old Covenant pointed to a future SPIRITUAL reality. True circumcision is not of the flesh, but of the heart, mind, soul, and spirit—it virtually has nothing to do with a few centimeters of physical skin. "For not that which is apparent is the Jew, nor yet that which is apparent in flesh is circumcision; but that which is hidden IS the Jew, and circumcision is of the heart, in spirit, not in letter, whose applause is not of men, but of God" (Rom. 2:29). Jesus Christ is not interested in the letter, in the physical, in the flesh. "Now those who are in the flesh are not able to please God" (Rom. 8:cool. Even baptism is of the heart. The thief on the cross was not baptized in water, yet Jesus said he would be with Him when He comes in His kingdom. "...whoever are baptized into Christ Jesus, are baptized into His DEATH." "His death," not water. "We, then, were entombed together with Him through baptism into death, that, even as Christ was roused from among the dead through the glory of the Father, thus we also should be walking in newness of life" (Rom. 6:3-4). It’s all about the SPIRIT--not water, foreskins, and money! God doesn’t need or want ten percent of anything we have. God wants one hundred percent. Christ died for ALL OF YOU, and He wants ALL OF YOU, not just a percentage! God doesn’t want your money; He wants YOU! You are already bought and paid for in full by Christ Jesus -- don’t try to add your two cents. We are now to live on a standard far above what we ever knew before Christ called us to become new creatures in the spirit. This can only be done through the power of God’s spirit. Our flesh is profiting NOTHING. "Yet you are not in flesh, but IN SPIRIT, if so be that God’s spirit is making its home in you" (Rom. 8:9). One living in the spirit is not all concerned about physical things of the letter and of the flesh. The apostle Paul wasn’t called to "baptize," "circumcise," or "collect tithes." The kingdom of God is not food and drink. Paul’s whole ministry was proof of that--see my paper, "Paul’s Splinter in the Flesh." If people feel they need to give something to God, something physical, something they can see and feel good about, then try this: "I beseech you therefore, brethren, by the mercies of God, that ye present your bodies a living sacrifice, holy, acceptable unto God, which is your reasonable service And be not conformed to this world: but be ye transformed by the renewing of your mind, that ye may prove that is that good and acceptable and perfect, will of God" (Rom. 12:1-2). The Apostle Paul said: "Every man according as he purposes in his heart, so let him give, not grudgingly, or of NECESSITY: for GOD LOVETH A CHEERFUL GIVER." (II Cor.. 9:7). I would not give another penny to televangelists who peddle the word of God like some cheap merchandise for money. And the amount of money they extort from the public is colossal. What in the world do they do with all that money? Never have SO MANY… accomplished SO LITTLE … with SO MUCH! The real missionaries of the Gospel of Jesus Christ have not flown first class to cushy hotels in exotic lands to teach the natives while dressed in their $3000 suits! The real missionaries were often down in the trenches with few if any luxuries. And there are still to be found such dedicated dispensers of God’s Word. These are the ones that are in need of financial support, for sure. These are those who truly are "worthy of their hire." HELP THE NEEDY, NOT THE GREEDY Give to the fatherless, the orphans, the strangers, the widows, the poor, and the needy, the homeless, and the beggar on the street, as God gives to you, the wherewithal. Give to reputable charities if you have extra. Give to your family members and relatives in need—don’t humiliate them by making them ask you first. Give to a neighbor in financial distress. Even when tipping someone, let it be a reflection of the One that you are representing in your Christian walk. Our God is a generous God—may you become generous also. Develop a "love for giving." Paul tells us in Acts 20:35b to: Remember the words of the Lord Jesus, how He said, "IT IS MORE BLESSED TO GIVE THAN TO RECEIVE."

1 Like

Re: Is It Wise To Pay Tithe From Monthly Pension? by gentlegenius(m): 9:50am On Jul 10, 2016
Can someone show me a portion of the Bible that says we should pay tithe every MONTH?
Though paying of tithe is biblical, we were not commanded to do it every month as today's pastors make us to do. The Bible commands us to pay our tithes every 3 years (ie once in 3 years). Read Deuteronomy 14: 28 & Amos 4: 4... There's also the tithe of the first fruit(harvest), which we were commanded to pay every year(once a year) see Deuteronomy 14:22. This first fruit tithe is still practiced today in some churches and it is done once every year in line with the scriptures.
But It baffles me to see how some greedy pastors of today will neglect the scriptures and make people to pay tithe every MONTH. Some churches pay almost every Sunday and that includes my church(name withheld). My pastor collect tithes any time he likes and that has made me to stop paying tithe in church. I prefer paying it to the poor and less privileged than to these greedy pastors. That way I received more blessings than those who pay in churches (Deuteronomy 14: 28-29).

1 Like

Re: Is It Wise To Pay Tithe From Monthly Pension? by DeSepiero(m): 3:14pm On Jul 10, 2016
thaikun15:
Yours opinions please.

It would be foolish.
Re: Is It Wise To Pay Tithe From Monthly Pension? by Barney11: 4:51pm On Jul 10, 2016
Africans have been deadly brainwashed.i dont pay tithe i give to the poor that i know that needed it most.
Re: Is It Wise To Pay Tithe From Monthly Pension? by Nobody: 4:59pm On Jul 10, 2016
Tithe paying Christians r d most stupid folks on the face of the earth.

(1) (Reply)

Qualities That Make An Ideal Choir Member. / The Misconceptions About Hell Fire Thoroughly Examined And Explained / What Is Olorun?

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 47
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.