Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,149,725 members, 7,805,969 topics. Date: Tuesday, 23 April 2024 at 09:30 AM

The Tao Of Programming - Programming - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Science/Technology / Programming / The Tao Of Programming (2040 Views)

Mathematics As Backbone Of Programming / 5nights Of Programming See What I Built / 500GB Worth Of Programming Books Avaliable. (2) (3) (4)

(1) (Reply) (Go Down)

The Tao Of Programming by KazukiIto(m): 12:29am On Jul 11, 2016
AS LIFTED FROM "THE TAO OF PROGRAMMING" TRANSLATED BY GEOFFREY JAMES.
YEAR: A VERY LONG TIME AGO.

BOOK 1 - THE SILENT VOID

Thus spake the master programmer:
"When you have learned to snatch the error code from the trap frame, it wil be time for you to leave."

1.1 - Something mysterious is formed, born in the silent void. Waiting alone and unmoving, it is at once still and yet in constant motion. It is the source of all programs. I do not know its name, so I will call it the Tao of Programming.

If the Tao is great, then the operating system is great. If the operating system is great, then the compiler is great. If the compiler is great, then the application is great. The user is pleased and there exists harmony in the world.

The Tao of Programming flows far away and returns on the wind of morning.
Re: The Tao Of Programming by KazukiIto(m): 12:36am On Jul 11, 2016
1.2 - The Tao gave birth to machine language. Machine language gave birth to the assembler.

The assembler gave birth to the compiler. Now there are ten thousand languages.

Each language has its purpose, however humble. Each language expresses the Yin and Yang of software.
Each language has its place within the Tao.

But do not program in COBOL if you can avoid it.
Re: The Tao Of Programming by KazukiIto(m): 12:40am On Jul 11, 2016
1.3 - In the beginning was the Tao. The Tao gave birth to Space and Time. Therefore Space and Time are Yin and Yang of programming.

Programmers that do not comprehend the Tao are always running out of time and space for their programs.
Programmers that comprehend the Tao always have enough time and space to accomlish their goals.

How could it be otherwise?
Re: The Tao Of Programming by KazukiIto(m): 12:43am On Jul 11, 2016
The wise programmer is told about Tao and follows it. The average programmer is told about Tao and searches for it. The foolish programmer is told about Tao and laughs at it.

If it were not for laughter, there would be no Tao.

The highest sounds are hardest to hear. Going forward is a way to retreat. Great talent shows itself late in life. Even a perfect program still has bugs.
Re: The Tao Of Programming by Nobody: 7:13am On Jul 11, 2016
Re: The Tao Of Programming by KazukiIto(m): 7:58am On Jul 11, 2016
I didn't get it there. Anyway, thanks for contributing.
Re: The Tao Of Programming by Nobody: 4:18pm On Jul 11, 2016
KazukiIto:
I didn't get it there. Anyway, thanks for contributing.

KazukiIto... Reminds me of one bad ass referee in Winning eleven... Gives yellow cards as a philanthropist... No tackles goes unpunished...
Re: The Tao Of Programming by KazukiIto(m): 8:06pm On Jul 11, 2016
elpedro:

KazukiIto... Reminds me of one bad ass referee in Winning eleven... Gives yellow cards as a philanthropist... No tackles goes unpunished...

Exactly where I got the name.
Re: The Tao Of Programming by KazukiIto(m): 3:14am On Aug 12, 2016
CHAPTER 2 - THE ANCIENT MASTERS
===============================

Thus spake the Master Programmer: "After three days without programming, life becomes meaningless."

2.1 Who are they?
-----------------
The programmers of old were mysterious and profound. We cannot fathom their thoughts, so all we do
is describe their appearance.
Aware, like a fox crossing the water. Alert, like a general on the battlefield. Kind, like a
hostess greeting her guests. Simple, like uncarved blocks of wood. Opaque, like black pools in
darkened caves.
Who can tell the secrets of their hearts and minds?
The answer exists only in Tao.

2.2 Turing Machine
------------------
Grand Master Turing once dreamed that he was a machine. When he awoke he exclaimed:
"I don't know whether I am Turing dreaming that I am a machine, or a machine dreaming that I am
Turing!."

2.3 Programmers and programmers
-------------------------------
A programmer from a very large computer company went to a software conference and then returned to
report to his manager, saying: "What sort of programmers work for other companies? They behaved
badly and were unconcerned with appearances. There hair was long and unkept and their clothes were
wrinkled and old. They crashed out hospitality suite and they made rude noises during my
presentation."
The manager said: "I should have never sent you to the conference. Those programmers live beyond
the physical world. They consider life absurd, an accidental coincidence. They come and go without
knowing limitations. Without a care, they only live for their programs. Why should they bother with
social conventions?
They are alive within the Tao."

2.4 The Tao of Programming
--------------------------
A novice asked the Master: "Here is a programmer that never designs, documents or tests his
programs. Yet all who know him consider him one of the best programmers in the world. Why is this?"
The Master replies: "That programmer has mastered the Tao. He has gone beyond the need for
design; he does not become angry when the system crashes, but accepts the universe without concern.
He has gone beyond the need for documentation; he no longer cares if anyone else sees the code. He
has gone beyond the need for testing; each of his programs are perfect within themselves, serene and
elegant, their purpose self-evident. Truly, he has entered the mystery of Tao."
Re: The Tao Of Programming by Nobody: 4:10am On Aug 12, 2016
I care not for all this words thou speaketh.
Thus, I say thee Nay, I will code hitherto and talk no more,

- golden words of the nairaland troll with many titles
Re: The Tao Of Programming by talk2hb1(m): 2:53pm On Aug 12, 2016
dhtml18:

Can't you feel the Chi?
Zaonshan hao?
櫛我會長遠木瓜地馬拉不得分配上午
Re: The Tao Of Programming by Nobody: 2:58pm On Aug 12, 2016
I care not for this chi, but geeky laws confound me to listen to thee.
Re: The Tao Of Programming by Mckayce(m): 4:40pm On Aug 12, 2016
for thou has to feeleth thy chakras tao has provided to programmerz ሐተጨጠጸጸፈዘሰሰዠረጀ
Re: The Tao Of Programming by Nobody: 5:18pm On Aug 12, 2016
I know not of this chakra thou speaketh of, inasmuch as this great troll is concerned, coding is the key to unraveling marvelous dimensions.
Re: The Tao Of Programming by bot101(m): 7:17pm On Aug 12, 2016
I don laff nearly waka enta big gutter for road side where I dey read Una taoish comments.
Re: The Tao Of Programming by AKBliv010(m): 8:14pm On Aug 12, 2016
KazukiIto:

2.2 Turing Machine
------------------
Grand Master Turing once dreamed that he was a machine. When he awoke he exclaimed:
"I don't know whether I am Turing dreaming that I am a machine, or a machine dreaming that I am
Turing!.

You should watch The Imitation Game if you haven't. It's about the invention of the Turing Machine.
Re: The Tao Of Programming by KazukiIto(m): 12:12am On Aug 13, 2016
AKBliv010:

You should watch The Imitation Game if you haven't. It's about the invention of the Turing Machine.

Will certainly do.
Re: The Tao Of Programming by KazukiIto(m): 12:15am On Aug 13, 2016
talk2hb1:

Can't you feel the Chi?
Zaonshan hao?
櫛我會長遠木瓜地馬拉不得分配上午

dhtml18:
I care not for this chi, but geeky laws confound me to listen to thee.

dhtml18:

I don't understand French! grin
Re: The Tao Of Programming by romme2u: 5:15am On Aug 13, 2016
grin grin grin

words of the esoteric rummaging through the wind without form
Re: The Tao Of Programming by talk2hb1(m): 11:39am On Aug 13, 2016
KazukiIto:

I don't understand French! grin
Actually that's Chinese undecided
Meaning wadup
Re: The Tao Of Programming by KazukiIto(m): 1:11pm On Aug 13, 2016
talk2hb1:
Actually that's Chinese undecided Meaning wadup
Thanks for clearing that up.
Re: The Tao Of Programming by bot101(m): 1:19pm On Aug 13, 2016
talk2hb1:

Actually that's Chinese undecided
Meaning wadup

Google Translate tongue tongue
Re: The Tao Of Programming by talk2hb1(m): 2:56pm On Aug 13, 2016
bot101:

Google Translate tongue tongue
nope, I understand basic Chinese, Japanes, and intermediate French & Arabic language wink

(1) (Reply)

Help,how Do I Send Data From An Msaccess Table To A Label In My Vb6 Appl / Missing Nairaland Functions / File From Torrent Sites Legal Or Illegal?

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 29
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.