Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,153,957 members, 7,821,363 topics. Date: Wednesday, 08 May 2024 at 11:58 AM

Why you don't need another generator- an expose on solar energy. - Business - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Business / Why you don't need another generator- an expose on solar energy. (1436 Views)

40k Loan (I don't need it anymore.) / One Month Practical Training On Solar/inverter System / Advice On Solar Energy Needed. (2) (3) (4)

(1) (Reply) (Go Down)

Why you don't need another generator- an expose on solar energy. by Swave4you(f): 7:51am On Jul 11, 2016
Hello there,

This thread is a clarion call, another response to rising costs of power and attempts at the way forward for us, business people in Nigeria. Do add your comments, feedback as we explore thoughts, tips and pathways to energy self-reliance.

It is a given that the average business in Nigeria spends about 30-45% of its revenue on power and this runs into several millions of naira every year. This often plays out as concurrent PHCN and diesel generation.

I still agree that self-generation, at least 90% is the way forward for now, till we get PHCN right. However self-generation at what cost?
There are many ways to self-generate reliable electricity, from diesel to coal, wind, gas, solar and biomass. And forward-looking companies like the Dangote group are already leading the way with gas.

Investing in gas generation like hydro-electricity though, is still somewhat capital-intensive and highly regulated compared to other reliable sources of clean energy.

For this reason, we will discuss solar energy as an accessible, reliable and economically viable energy source for any kind of enterprise in Nigeria at the moment. As other sources become more commercially viable, we will do them justice.

Welcome on board! grin

Our services
Value-based energy audit for homes & businesses
Solar design-build systems from 4kw-200kw
Energy efficiency and lighting retrofits
Financial feasibility and plan development for solar financing

Call 08028897333 or email info@swaveenergem.com
Re: Why you don't need another generator- an expose on solar energy. by Swave4you(f): 11:38pm On Aug 07, 2016
Going further,

This thread is not meant to discredit the diesel generator, but as stated earlier, we're looking for cheaper and cleaner alternatives to powering our daily operations, as the rest of the world is.

Random calculations:

If I spend N600,000 per month on diesel (most actually spend more), this means N7.2million in one year excluding maintenance. This means in 10 years I would have spent over N70million in just fueling. If I take the initiative and invest same N7.2million in solar energy once off and replace my battery bank(with say 20% of initial costs) every 4 years, in the same 10 years, I would have spent only N11.4million on electricity. shocked

Even if I replaced batteries every 2 years (for budget installations), I would be doing a total of N14.2million, still a far cry from N70million.

I can only imagine how much Dangote is saving with gas!
Re: Why you don't need another generator- an expose on solar energy. by Swave4you(f): 11:46pm On Aug 07, 2016
Many of the above points are well-known facts, solar is quite popular in Nigeria. Then why is adoption lagging?

Exactly the purpose for this thread- to share thoughts, tips and solutions for cheaper, sustainable alternative electricity.

You see, alternative energy, albeit solar generation works if we would internalize these key points:

1) Alternative generation is a mindset
2) Alternative generation is a plan
3) Alternative generation is the future.

Having these at back of mind, like the Dangote does, is vital to any successful alternative energy strategy. And reliable energy, is one key to sustainable competitive advantage in the marketplace.

Your thoughts, anybody?
Re: Why you don't need another generator- an expose on solar energy. by Swave4you(f): 11:16am On Aug 08, 2016
Re: Why you don't need another generator- an expose on solar energy. by Swave4you(f): 1:17am On Oct 10, 2016
Re: Why you don't need another generator- an expose on solar energy. by Swave4you(f): 9:47pm On Oct 10, 2016
Re: Why you don't need another generator- an expose on solar energy. by Swave4you(f): 1:14pm On Oct 12, 2016
Re: Why you don't need another generator- an expose on solar energy. by Swave4you(f): 3:51pm On Oct 13, 2016
Re: Why you don't need another generator- an expose on solar energy. by Swave4you(f): 11:45am On Oct 14, 2016
Re: Why you don't need another generator- an expose on solar energy. by Swave4you(f): 12:16pm On Oct 15, 2016
Re: Why you don't need another generator- an expose on solar energy. by Swave4you(f): 11:13pm On Oct 23, 2016
Re: Why you don't need another generator- an expose on solar energy. by Swave4you(f): 10:34am On Nov 28, 2016
Re: Why you don't need another generator- an expose on solar energy. by Swave4you(f): 3:27pm On Nov 30, 2016
Re: Why you don't need another generator- an expose on solar energy. by Swave4you(f): 3:55pm On Mar 22, 2017
Re: Why you don't need another generator- an expose on solar energy. by Swave4you(f): 10:38am On Mar 23, 2017
ALTERNATIVE GENERATION IS A MINDSET

It is.

You must first determine in your heart and organization's mind that you are going off-grid, no matter how long or for how much.

Working with the mindset to "introduce" solar to my energy mix, by having a diesel gen, PHCN and solar/inverter installed isn't an ideal approach to energy self-reliance. The costs, financial and personnel costs alone of maintaining such a hybrid are enough to put anyone out of business in a short while.

Learning from the global players, even our clients here in Nigeria where full residential estates are have been designed and constructed to run only on solar power is the way to go. I can only imagine the pay-offs people living in these estates would enjoy.

Imagine moving into a new home/office and not having a generator/fueling costs in my budget.....

Yeah we know about serviced apartments but again at what cost?

N500,000 per annum service charge (with noise and pollution) versus N26,250 per month with peace. Na who gain pass? angry

@naijacutie, mods, please help delete the edited/empty sections above. Thanks a mil!
Re: Why you don't need another generator- an expose on solar energy. by Swave4you(f): 11:38am On Mar 24, 2017
ALTERNATIVE GENERATION IS A PLAN

Moving your operations from the usual methods of generating energy to solar requires a plan. A sustainable, incremental plan. At least we recommend that, especially for businesses.

You need an accurate knowledge of what you're currently consuming in energy, how much its cost you in the past, is costing you presently and will cost you in the future. You need an understanding of your peak/off-peak patterns and what activities/appliances are driving it.

You need clear figures of how much going solar will cost and save for you, and how you long it will take you to break even/achieve off-grid status.

You need a financial feasibility to ascertain your ability to pay for going solar, if you prefer a financed installation.

This plan doesn't have to take ages to put together. A homeowner can put this together quite easily. A business may require some technical expertise. Either ways, going solar successfully requires a plan.

Our 5-way service model:

1) Energy audit and efficiency report
2) Solar feasibility and design-build proposal
3) Financial feasibility and financing report (optional)
4) Design and installation proper
5) Orientation and maintenance
Re: Why you don't need another generator- an expose on solar energy. by Swave4you(f): 5:13pm On Mar 27, 2017
Happy new week fam!

Moving forward on our better energy cruise, the 3rd key to successful generation is a conviction that:

ALTERNATIVE GENERATION IS THE FUTURE

Ever heard of SOLARA, a multi-unit residential estate in California, USA built and running on 24 hours solar energy. You can read about it here

https://chworks.org/real-estate-development/featured-developments/solara/

And now, America apart, we actually have such an apartment building functioning in Nigeria on a solar-wind hybrid, 24/7. Yes, Nigeria.

Check this co-collaborative video out!

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=NbjNo_G-3n8

Interesting innit? You bet.

We're making progress, Solar, indeed alternative energy is the future, I tell you. grin
Re: Why you don't need another generator- an expose on solar energy. by Swave4you(f): 10:26am On Mar 28, 2017
TO AUDIT OR NOT TO AUDIT

An energy audit simply means assessing every single appliance or equipment in your facility with regards to how much energy is consumed and the cost of this energy.

Going solar successfully requires first, a clear understanding of your total energy use and your priority loads (or expected use for new structures) to prevent the most common reason for failed solar systems- Under-generation.

Also, since the advent of the prepaid meter, every equipment added immediately impacts the monthly bill, making periodic checks very necessary.

Asides knowing how much you use, a proper audit will also highlight immediate efficiency measures you can take to reduce your energy consumption, making your solar quote cheaper.

It is that extra step in alternative generation that makes a whole lot of difference!
Re: Why you don't need another generator- an expose on solar energy. by Swave4you(f): 10:38am On Mar 28, 2017
NEWS FLASH

Another plan to increase electricity tariffs is underway.

https://www.nairaland.com/3706621/another-electricity-tarrif-hike-despite/3#55026391
Re: Why you don't need another generator- an expose on solar energy. by Swave4you(f): 9:44am On Mar 30, 2017
ON ENERGY EFFICIENCY

Morning house, howdy?

Beyond generating new sources of energy for your operations, we can actually tackle our energy challenges from the demand-side also. This is what it means to be energy efficient- by asking how can I achieve more output with the same energy I'm generating or less.

This could mean a rearrangement of electrical configuration of equipment, discontinuance of use of non-priority appliances, or smart use/programmed use, automation.

These measures can be easily uncovered by an independent energy audit and as mentioned earlier, will immediately affect the bottom line/going solar bill.

Asides lighting, do you have any experience with efficiency?
Re: Why you don't need another generator- an expose on solar energy. by Swave4you(f): 7:46am On Mar 31, 2017
Kinda quiet in here.

Maybe its the recession grin
Re: Why you don't need another generator- an expose on solar energy. by Swave4you(f): 3:49am On Apr 03, 2017
A 4KW SOLAR CASE STUDY

Here's the story of a successful solar system fulfilling the 3 key goals of alternative generation we highlighted earlier:

1) Doing more with less energy

2) A plan and mindset to go totally off-grid and,

3) An immediate and sustained reduction in energy spending.

Before Solar

“After completing my building, I acquired a 15kva diesel generator to cater for my power needs along with the inevitable PHCN meter. However, or do I say as expected, despite rationing the gen. set to my peak consumption periods(evening-nighttime) my annual spend on diesel was over half a million naira. Power supply in my neighborhood is also unreliable, often between 2-3hours daily. We have gone many days stretch without grid power.”

Going solar

“My first solar installation was a 2kw solar panel-inverter system to cover my basic appliances, lighting et al. This served me for 3 years with 12-24hrs guaranteed power and immediately slashed my power bills by 40 percent. As my confidence in solar grew, I decided to acquire a larger system (4kw) early last year to power my heavier appliances like air-conditioning and refrigerator as I still spent on diesel to sustain these equipment”

After Solar

Since expanding to a 4kw system, I no longer have need for my 15kva diesel generator. I sold it off and got a smaller fuel set for ironing and water pumping temporarily (these are going solar soon). And most exciting, I barely do N5,000 per month on fuel now as against N40,000 previously.

With my 4kw system, I have my air-conditioning and refrigerator on not less than 5hours daily. Asides that, all lighting, fans, mobile devices, office equipment, television sets, are accessible 24hours. Grid power is still erratic but my kids don’t know the feeling of recurrent darkness. The noiseless comfort at night is also, just priceless.” Segun Adahja; Chairman RE Association, Magodo, Lagos.
Re: Why you don't need another generator- an expose on solar energy. by Swave4you(f): 12:03pm On Apr 03, 2017
So what did you think about the story above?

Do you have any experience, good or not so good on solar? Please share let's chew on it together.

(1) (Reply)

Is My Payoneer Mastercard Different From The Rest? / Conglomerate Of Firmgate Group / Promotion Of Shipping Service From China To Africa

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 37
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.