Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,154,742 members, 7,824,142 topics. Date: Saturday, 11 May 2024 at 12:20 AM

Ribadu Sneaks Into Nigeria - Visits Gani’s Family - Politics - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Politics / Ribadu Sneaks Into Nigeria - Visits Gani’s Family (617 Views)

OPC Council Disowns Gani Adams, For Betraying Yoruba Nation / Gani Adams Reveals That 85% Of Lagosians Want Jonathan / Obasanjo Refuses To See Jonathan, Sneaks Out Of Ogun State (2) (3) (4)

(1) (Reply)

Ribadu Sneaks Into Nigeria - Visits Gani’s Family by mogentle(m): 9:50am On Sep 11, 2009
Ribadu sneaks into Nigeria - Visits Gani’s family
Kunle Oderemi, Muda Oyeniran and Friday Ekeoba, Lagos - 11.09.2009

THE former chairman of the Economic and Financial Crimes Commission (EFCC), Mallam Nuhu Ribadu, on Thursday night, sneaked into the country from Britain to pay a condolence visit to the family of the late Chief Gani Fawehinmi (SAN), in Ikeja.

Nigerian Tribune learnt that Ribadu was accompanied by a popular Lagos-based lawyer cum constitutional lawyer (name with held) during the visit at exactly 7.00pm.

His visit triggered a little stir as there was no initial indication that the family was expecting such a high profile guest.

He wrote in the condolence register: “I have lost a father, a friend and mentor. But I’m greatful to God for the chance to have a very inspiring relationship with chief. He helped to shape my life. He made me to believe in the truth and justice and have the courage to stand by these ideals. May his kind and gentle soul rest in peace. God will be kind to Gani, because he was a kind and good man.”

Details of his visit to the family were sketchy at press time as most of the persons around the premises declined comments.

It could not be established the route he followed into the country, as the EFCC had declared him wanted for sundry allegations.

There was suspense everywhere before he arrived at the residence, following strange movements by some individuals involved in the burial rites for the deceased, which began on Monday.

His visit was brief, apparently because of anxiety that security operatives could be on his trail.

He signed the condolence register precisely at 7.00pm and simply wrote, “Ribadu, Oxford University,” where he has been studying since he left the country.

Attempts by our correspondent to speak with the widow of Gani, Alhaja Ganiat did not succeed, as other relations said she had gone to bed at 8.00pm.

But a text message from a member of the family to one of our correspondents, confirmed the visit. The text, which was a response to an inquiry from us, read, “Ribadu visits.”

Ribadu and the present leadership of the EFCC have been locked in claims and counter-claims over details of some cases handled by the commission during his tenure.

The police had sent him to the National Institute of Policy and Strategic Studies, Kuru, near Jos, Plateau State, for further study and replaced him with Mrs. Farida Waziri.

But his travails aggravated, when the police top hierarchy demoted him from the rank of a Deputy Inspector General of Police, claiming that his initial elevation was fraught with errors.

http://www.tribune.com.ng/11092009/news/news3.html

(1) (Reply)

And Ribadu Escaped Again! / Anambra Electorate My Godfather / Dear Lord,may The Oil Wells Dry In Nigeria

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 12
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.