Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,150,845 members, 7,810,256 topics. Date: Saturday, 27 April 2024 at 03:01 AM

Nigeria’s Economy May Shrink Further - IMF - Politics - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Politics / Nigeria’s Economy May Shrink Further - IMF (14214 Views)

Nigerian Economy May Collapse Soon – Peter Obi / IMF: Nigerian Economy May Collapse If… / Saraki’s Senators’ At CCT Shrink From 81 To 12 (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) (Reply) (Go Down)

Nigeria’s Economy May Shrink Further - IMF by Mathemagician1(m): 1:26pm On Jul 12, 2016
The International Monetary Fund (IMF) has painted a gloomy picture for Nigeria, saying the country’s economy will probably contract this year as energy shortages and the delayed budget weigh on output.

“I think there is a high likelihood that the year 2016 as a whole will be a contractionary year”, said the IMF’s resident representative in Nigeria, Gene Leon.

Mr. Leon, who made this known in an interview in Abuja, noted that while the economy should look better in second half of the year, growth will probably not “be sufficiently fast, sufficiently rapid to be able to negate the outcome of” the first and second quarters.

Nigeria, Africa’s largest economy, for the first time in more than a decade, saw its economy contract by 0.4 percent in the three months through March, as oil output and prices slumped and the 2016 budget, which would have stimulated the economy, was subjected to avoidable controversies.

A currency peg and foreign-exchange trading restrictions, which were removed last month after more than a year, led to shortages of goods and contributed to the contraction in the first quarter.

The IMF asserted that while conditions that hindered growth in the first half of the year, including power shortages, fuel, and foreign exchange, as well as the higher price of dollars on the parallel market, may have been reduced, they still have considerable effect on the economy.

It would be recalled that the Washington-based lender cut its 2016 growth forecast for Nigeria to 2.3 percent in its April Regional Economic Outlook from 3.2 percent projected in February. The World Bank lowered its forecast to 0.8 percent last month, citing weakness from oil-output disruptions and low prices. Last year’s expansion of 2.7 percent was the slowest in two decades, according to IMF data.

“Most people would agree that if you should fix one thing in this country, it should be power,” Leon said. “There is a need to start changing the power equation from 2016, from today, not tomorrow or later”.

He further said inflation will probably continue its upward trend through the end of 2016 however, it is unlikely to exceed 20 per cent.

http://www.dailytrust.com.ng/news/business/imf-nigeria-s-economy-may-shrink-further/154875.html

2 Likes 1 Share

Re: Nigeria’s Economy May Shrink Further - IMF by SeverusSnape(m): 1:28pm On Jul 12, 2016
Change cheesy

Thanks to our "change" chanting Charlatans.
Since their messiah Buhari came on board, everything has gone negative, When last did you hear good news about Nigeria?.
Believe me when I say 'Buhari is an economic terrorist'. He came to destroy our once buoyant economy.
Let's see if him and his zombies will still blame Jonathan for this.

96 Likes 2 Shares

Re: Nigeria’s Economy May Shrink Further - IMF by AngelAhnie(f): 1:33pm On Jul 12, 2016

2 Likes

Re: Nigeria’s Economy May Shrink Further - IMF by psucc(m): 1:33pm On Jul 12, 2016
That's the change Tinubu asked Nigeria to imbibe and now he has gone hiding.

Thank God even the 97% don't escape it.

Hmmm the last paragraph is not palatable at all ' . . . inflation not exceeding 20%'.

70 Likes 1 Share

Re: Nigeria’s Economy May Shrink Further - IMF by Nobody: 1:37pm On Jul 12, 2016
In what ways..

Pdp never changed the power in 16 years?
Why the wailers blaming PMB..

3 Likes

Re: Nigeria’s Economy May Shrink Further - IMF by OZAOEKPE(f): 1:41pm On Jul 12, 2016
full-blown stag-flation cool

2 Likes 1 Share

Re: Nigeria’s Economy May Shrink Further - IMF by Mathemagician1(m): 2:05pm On Jul 12, 2016
Everybody is complaining except Adesina and majority of his family.

51 Likes 3 Shares

Re: Nigeria’s Economy May Shrink Further - IMF by drss(m): 2:12pm On Jul 12, 2016
is imf high on kunu, d nigerian economy has already reach its elastic limit. it will continue to shrink till buari goes to skool n learn d meaning n importance of restructuring in diversification of d economy.

50 Likes 3 Shares

Re: Nigeria’s Economy May Shrink Further - IMF by veekid(m): 4:58pm On Jul 12, 2016
Abeg make we hear word, if e shrink nkor, make we hear word

1 Like

Re: Nigeria’s Economy May Shrink Further - IMF by OLUJOSHINS(m): 4:59pm On Jul 12, 2016
Hmmm

36 Likes 3 Shares

Re: Nigeria’s Economy May Shrink Further - IMF by MzPecs(f): 4:59pm On Jul 12, 2016
It's called change..

12 Likes 1 Share

Re: Nigeria’s Economy May Shrink Further - IMF by ossaisly(m): 4:59pm On Jul 12, 2016
When we see posts like this, we all know what to do.

just blame the last regime.
grin grin grin

14 Likes 1 Share

Re: Nigeria’s Economy May Shrink Further - IMF by Belmot(m): 5:00pm On Jul 12, 2016
Are we surprised? The economy will soon fold sef not only shrink.

4 Likes

Re: Nigeria’s Economy May Shrink Further - IMF by virginboy1(m): 5:01pm On Jul 12, 2016
Why won't it sinks. Huh

When instead of having technocrats at the upper stream of government, it is political criminals that knows nada about political policies.

Moreover,

A Nigerian graduate’s salary is 1/7th of that of a US graduate, while a Nigerian Senator’s salary is 8 times that of a US senator.

Just Imagine.

Too Bad

47 Likes 4 Shares

Re: Nigeria’s Economy May Shrink Further - IMF by prodiG(m): 5:01pm On Jul 12, 2016
Shrink again. undecided Make God save person 4 dis country o cry

1 Like

Re: Nigeria’s Economy May Shrink Further - IMF by Mynd44: 5:01pm On Jul 12, 2016
drss:
is imf high on kunu, d nigerian economy has already reach its elastic limit. it will continue to shrink till buari goes to skool n learn d meaning n importance of restructuring in diversification of d economy.
Funny, you mean President Buhari should have diversified the economy in a little over a year while we call our past Leaders who did not diversify "heroes" and praise em?

9 Likes 1 Share

Re: Nigeria’s Economy May Shrink Further - IMF by ossaisly(m): 5:01pm On Jul 12, 2016
MzPecs:
cool

u can book space for Africa o.

But don't get paranoid, i did same sad sad sad sad
Re: Nigeria’s Economy May Shrink Further - IMF by Nobody: 5:02pm On Jul 12, 2016
[size=14pt]Nigeria's economy is reliant on oil

Therefore...

When the oil price shrinks...the economy shrinks.
[/size]

Simple.

That is why Nigeria must stop relying from revenue from oil RAW MATERIALS and start relying on revenue from what we manufacture, what we innovate.

Like for example....why can't we make phones, motorcycles, tv, pc, tablets, etc...and export to the rest of the world.?

7 Likes

Re: Nigeria’s Economy May Shrink Further - IMF by Belmot(m): 5:02pm On Jul 12, 2016
Are we surprised? The economy will soon fold sef not only shrink......

1 Like

Re: Nigeria’s Economy May Shrink Further - IMF by Nobody: 5:02pm On Jul 12, 2016
We already know.... Nigerians will still survive it. But I must confess, since I was born, I've never seen a worse year as this

17 Likes 2 Shares

Re: Nigeria’s Economy May Shrink Further - IMF by gurunlocker: 5:02pm On Jul 12, 2016
APC disastrous economic team are busy playing trial and error lotto with Nigeria destiny, while Hailing hailers are hailing failure.....

14 Likes

Re: Nigeria’s Economy May Shrink Further - IMF by Sunnycliff(m): 5:03pm On Jul 12, 2016
All thanks to Buhari for leading us with high speed into economic recession. 1984 fully back. A leopard can never change his spots. Buhari is not too educated to lead this nation but the zombies said they wanted a nepa Bill certificate holder.

38 Likes 3 Shares

Re: Nigeria’s Economy May Shrink Further - IMF by olumaxi(m): 5:03pm On Jul 12, 2016
Even the economy had experienced osmosis....nawa 4 we country

2 Likes

Re: Nigeria’s Economy May Shrink Further - IMF by Adesiji77: 5:03pm On Jul 12, 2016
Issokay...noted
Re: Nigeria’s Economy May Shrink Further - IMF by peter1994(m): 5:03pm On Jul 12, 2016
Can things get any worse than this?

Re: Nigeria’s Economy May Shrink Further - IMF by apesinola001: 5:03pm On Jul 12, 2016
that is CHANGE for NIGERIANS

1 Like

Re: Nigeria’s Economy May Shrink Further - IMF by virginboy1(m): 5:04pm On Jul 12, 2016
Buhari :
my government will pay unemployed Nigerians 5k every
month.
People be like:
sai Baba... change is here..Nigeria will rise again!

Buhari:
I never promised to pay unemployed Nigerians 5k each
month.

People be like:
No mind those Jonathanians. With their fake news. Show us
links where he promised that. We are solidly behind you.
Nothing for yam eaters

Buhari :
We have started collection of data to enable us pay the
unemployed graduates 5k.

People be like :
Where are those TANoids that said Baba is not a promise
keeper...shame on all PDP. Baba till 2023 !

Buhari:
I wont pay 5k to unemployed youths. Its not a priority !

People be like:
Baba is right! Whats the use of 5k? What can 5k do to
anyone. Mr president we love u. Best president ever!

I wont be surprised if I wake up tomorrow and hear :

Buhari:
Unemployed Nigerians should pay 5k every month to the
government:

And still people be like:
Think of what u can do for your country and not what your
country can do for you. Baba is right. But I know those
unpatriotic wailers wont pay

Abeg no vex o. Is this thing ordinary?

76 Likes 9 Shares

Re: Nigeria’s Economy May Shrink Further - IMF by Olasco93: 5:04pm On Jul 12, 2016
smiley
Re: Nigeria’s Economy May Shrink Further - IMF by anibi9674: 5:04pm On Jul 12, 2016
ok
Re: Nigeria’s Economy May Shrink Further - IMF by Cornerstone001: 5:04pm On Jul 12, 2016
** Sighs lipsrsealed embarassed

[img]http://i./WM6WJ2Eb76ms0.gif[/img]

17 Likes 1 Share

Re: Nigeria’s Economy May Shrink Further - IMF by MzPecs(f): 5:04pm On Jul 12, 2016
ossaisly:

u can book space for Africa o.

But don't get paranoid, i did same sad sad sad sad
You try grin grin

(1) (2) (3) (Reply)

Failed Biafra Sit At Home in Port Harcourt PICS VIDEOS / Shiites Will Be Treated Like Terrorists – IGP Adamu Says / Galadima Abba Itas Resigns, Dumps Party In Protest For Wike

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 28
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.