Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,153,017 members, 7,818,012 topics. Date: Sunday, 05 May 2024 at 04:13 AM

Wole Soyinka Celebrates His 82nd Birthday Today - Literature (4) - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Entertainment / Literature / Wole Soyinka Celebrates His 82nd Birthday Today (28700 Views)

Wole Soyinka Celebrates His 83rd Birthday Today / See The Great Handwork Drawn In Celebration Of Prof Wole Soyinka's 82nd Birthday / Today Is Prof Wole Soyinka's 82nd Birthday,post Your Greetings (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) (4) (Reply) (Go Down)

Re: Wole Soyinka Celebrates His 82nd Birthday Today by BossDanniee(m): 5:25pm On Jul 13, 2016
Happy birthday professor!
Re: Wole Soyinka Celebrates His 82nd Birthday Today by Nobody: 5:47pm On Jul 13, 2016
Lalasticlala ... Been sending u mails but it keeps bouncing back to my inbox
I just did a panda cover, and i can frankly say its one of the best panda versions out! For real. I'm trying to hold d promo down right now, I've contacted 2xclusive, 360nobs... But replies r a bit slow on their front and I do not want this track to sink unnoticed. Here is the link
https://www.nairaland.com/3224512/nairalander-drops-whats-undoubtedly-hottest
Please I would greatly appreciate it if u help me get exposure by moving this to front page. Thanks a million
Re: Wole Soyinka Celebrates His 82nd Birthday Today by Nobody: 5:51pm On Jul 13, 2016
Happy birthday captain Blood of Tortuga. May you derio forever. Ahoy seadogs. . . Rum pyrates rum. We chant!

Yoha to ur bones!

Ahoys!

Pointless altercating an atos . . . it could have been worse!
Re: Wole Soyinka Celebrates His 82nd Birthday Today by SUNFLX(m): 5:57pm On Jul 13, 2016
Hpy birthday to u Sir

More age with grace I prayed
Re: Wole Soyinka Celebrates His 82nd Birthday Today by bellenornor(f): 6:04pm On Jul 13, 2016
Happy Birthday sir. The last picture looks like his melanin is vanishing grin
Re: Wole Soyinka Celebrates His 82nd Birthday Today by naijacentric(m): 6:13pm On Jul 13, 2016
smallJagaban:

YOU ARE MAD.. WOLE SOYINKA SURE PASS
mumu wole soyinka even know ur papa am sorry for u
Re: Wole Soyinka Celebrates His 82nd Birthday Today by bigfrancis21: 7:15pm On Jul 13, 2016
smallJagaban:
LIVING LEGEND GREATER THAN CHINUA ACHEBE WHO CENTRED HIS WORK AROUND IBO

YOU NEED DICTIONARY TO UNDERSTAND SOYINKA'S WORK AND INTELLECT

Lol. Even in Chinua Achebe's death, he is still more popular than living Wole Soyinka will ever be. Every year here in the US, Americans remember Chinua Achebe and celebrate him like one of their own. Forget Nobel price, it does not determine how successful or famous one is. While Wole Soyinka won a Nobel price (Chinua was not nominated for it because of his supposed and open criticism of the Europeans at that time), his fame is restricted mostly within Nigeria and Africa. This is in comparison to Chinua Achebe who is popular worldwide, whose book, Things Fall Apart, was translated to over 50 different languages of the world, Things Fall Apart is one of the mandatory books of study in American public secondary schools, etc. Unlike Wole's books, nobody needs to hire a dictionary to read and understand Chinua's books, thus making his books easy to read, user friendly and accessible to humans of all age brackets. Just the other day in a taxi, the white american girl sitting next to me, on hearing my accent on the phone and asking if I'm from Nigeria, said Chinua Achebe is her favourite African author and even mentioned Chimamanda Adichie. Funny enough, Chimamanda, small girl from yesterday, is more famous here in America than legendary Wole Soyinka from 80 years back.

So please, easy with the unnecessary hyping.

5 Likes 2 Shares

Re: Wole Soyinka Celebrates His 82nd Birthday Today by cleoblizz332(f): 7:28pm On Jul 13, 2016
Happy birthday sir wish come through i'll contribute greatly to this country. I long to be celebrated for good deeds and hard work. A NIGERIA PATRIOT...CLEO
Re: Wole Soyinka Celebrates His 82nd Birthday Today by musicwriter(m): 9:51pm On Jul 13, 2016
smallJagaban:
LIVING LEGEND GREATER THAN CHINUA ACHEBE WHO CENTRED HIS WORK AROUND IBO

YOU NEED DICTIONARY TO UNDERSTAND SOYINKA'S WORK AND INTELLECT

There's no need bringing Achebe and Igbos to this. Absolutely unnecessary.

However, for your information, Chinua Achebe is voted as the best black writer ever- including from the whole of Africa and beyond.

Writing in so called ''big grammar'' is a sign of a mentally enslaved person. Good writers write in simple didactic way; like, Charles Dickens, Chinua Achebe, Mark Twain, e.t.c.

If you don't believe me, google ''100 best novels of all time" and let me know how many black person on the list.

1. Time magazine's 100 best novels of all time (world's most reputed magazine).
http://entertainment.time.com/2005/10/16/all-time-100-novels/slide/all/

2. UK Telegraph's 100 best novels of all time (one of UK largest media house).
http://www.telegraph.co.uk/books/what-to-read/100-novels-everyone-should-read/

3. The guardian's 100 best novels of all time (one of UK largest newspaper).
https://www.theguardian.com/books/2003/oct/12/features.fiction

4. Good read's 100 best novels of all time (the world's leading pool of best books to read before you die).
http://www.goodreads.com/list/show/2681.Time_Magazine_s_All_Time_100_Novels

I find these rankings very interesting since all the books were written in English and white people definitely know better than us who understand their language better.

2 Likes

Re: Wole Soyinka Celebrates His 82nd Birthday Today by MrPresident1: 9:52pm On Jul 13, 2016
bigfrancis21:

Lol. Even in Chinua Achebe's death, he is still more popular than living Wole Soyinka will ever be. Every year here in the US, Americans remember Chinua Achebe and celebrate him like one of their own. Forget Nobel price, it does not determine how successful or famous one is. While Wole Soyinka won a Nobel price (Chinua was not nominated for it because of his supposed and open criticism of the Europeans at that time) his fame is restricted mostly within Nigeria and Africa. This is in comparison to Chinua Achebe who is popular worldwide, whose book was translated to over 50 different languages of the world, Things Fall Apart is one of the mandatory books of study in American public secondary schools, etc. Unlike Wole's books, nobody needs to hire a dictionary to read and understand Chinua's books, thus making his book easy to read, user friendly and accessible to humans of all age brackets. Just the other day in a taxi, the white american girl sitting next to me, on hearing my accent on the phone and asking if I'm from Nigeria, said Chinua Achebe is her favourite African author and even mentioned Chimamanda Adichie. Funny enough, Chimamanda is more famous than legendary Wole Soyinka.

This one has dedicated his life to bigotry against the Yorubas grin, small(minded)francis, you will not last long, you have chosen the path of ruin.
Re: Wole Soyinka Celebrates His 82nd Birthday Today by Nobody: 10:57pm On Jul 13, 2016
bigfrancis21:

Just the other day in a taxi, the white american girl sitting next to me, on hearing my accent on the phone and asking if I'm from Nigeria, said Chinua Achebe is her favourite African author and even mentioned Chimamanda Adichie. Funny enough, Chimamanda is more famous than legendary Wole Soyinka.

Boss you supos don get american accent by now nah cheesy
Re: Wole Soyinka Celebrates His 82nd Birthday Today by bigfrancis21: 1:45am On Jul 14, 2016
Fortissimo:

Boss you supos don get american accent by now nah cheesy

Lol man, I do o. Just that while on the phone, I was talking to a family member so I was using my 'natural' accent. cheesy
Re: Wole Soyinka Celebrates His 82nd Birthday Today by Nobody: 12:03pm On Jul 15, 2016
bigfrancis21:

Lol man, I do o. Just that while on the phone, I was talking to a family member so I was using my 'natural' accent. cheesy

Hi Francis, donkey years cheesy, you wouldn't believe i signed in to actually get your contact. Kindly send your Bbm pin or digits pls, biko. Need your opinion/advice on some urgent matter. Thanks smiley

1 Like

Re: Wole Soyinka Celebrates His 82nd Birthday Today by ayobami52(m): 3:18pm On Jul 16, 2016
Re: Wole Soyinka Celebrates His 82nd Birthday Today by Babalakin(m): 1:03pm On Jul 17, 2016
Nice thread
Re: Wole Soyinka Celebrates His 82nd Birthday Today by bigfrancis21: 1:39pm On Jul 18, 2016
kofsy:

Hi Francis, donkey years cheesy, you wouldn't believe i signed in to actually get your contact. Kindly send your Bbm pin or digits pls, biko. Need your opinion/advice on some urgent matter. Thanks smiley

Hey Kofsy, check your email. I responded about a couple of days back.
Re: Wole Soyinka Celebrates His 82nd Birthday Today by Dicksonpal: 8:20pm On Feb 07, 2017
DrWise:
Happy birthday captain Blood of Tortuga. May you derio forever. Ahoy seadogs. . . Rum pyrates rum. We chant!

Yoha to ur bones!

Ahoys!

Pointless altercating an atos . . . it could have been worse!
dario to ur rug skull
Re: Wole Soyinka Celebrates His 82nd Birthday Today by Nobody: 8:24pm On Feb 07, 2017
Dicksonpal:
dario to ur rug skull

Yoha to ur bones!
Re: Wole Soyinka Celebrates His 82nd Birthday Today by Dicksonpal: 8:31pm On Feb 07, 2017
DrWise:

Yoha to ur bones!
irigiopoppo

(1) (2) (3) (4) (Reply)

Blemished Love By Loudest Thoughts / Chidi Nwaogu, Just Broke A Fresh Guinness World For Longest Credit On A Book / Conflicted Destiny, Chronicle Of A Natural Born Warrior.

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 37
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.