Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,151,790 members, 7,813,613 topics. Date: Tuesday, 30 April 2024 at 02:53 PM

Physicists/Science People...lets Discuss This. - Science/Technology - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Science/Technology / Physicists/Science People...lets Discuss This. (686 Views)

Physicists Lounge / How Physicists Made Light Travel At The Speed Of A Minivan / Fighting ISIS With An Algorithm, Physicists Try To Predict Attacks (2) (3) (4)

(1) (Reply) (Go Down)

Physicists/Science People...lets Discuss This. by Nobody: 10:58am On Jul 13, 2016
wink
@explorer..join sef

Re: Physicists/Science People...lets Discuss This. by johnydon22(m): 6:19pm On Jul 13, 2016
Re: Physicists/Science People...lets Discuss This. by Nobody: 10:14pm On Jul 13, 2016
Na this kind question dey catch my fancy. grin grin

MrPhysics . . . . show.

RobinHez . . . . . show.

Johnydon22 . . . comment.

This question is meaningless. Photons are not objects. Hence, they cannot be subjected to definitions of time and space according to us. Photons are events.

Also, Yes. from the perspective of a photon, time doesn't pass, and so, the photons emitted from the big bang still think it's the big bang time. however, the moment they are absorbed by a molecule, they somehow remember that "hey! it's been 13 million years!"

Unfortunately, the section of relativity that I'm versed in, special relativity, does nothing to explain this. the Lorentz factor becomes undefined at v=c. where v is velocity of the object and c is the speed of light. And so, we can't meaningfully calculate what is actually happening to the photon. the equations are only useful for objects going NEAR the speed of light. In fact, that's why I invited mrphysics, Since he's more versed in this sort of thing.

3 Likes 1 Share

Re: Physicists/Science People...lets Discuss This. by mrphysics(m): 7:44am On Jul 14, 2016
Teempakguy:
Na this kind question dey catch my fancy. grin grin

MrPhysics . . . . show.

RobinHez . . . . . show.

Johnydon22 . . . comment.

This question is meaningless. Photons are not objects. Hence, they cannot be subjected to definitions of time and space according to us. Photons are events.

Also, Yes. from the perspective of a photon, time doesn't pass, and so, the photons emitted from the big bang still think it's the big bang time. however, the moment they are absorbed by a molecule, they somehow remember that "hey! it's been 13 million years!"

Unfortunately, the section of relativity that I'm versed in, special relativity, does nothing to explain this. the Lorentz factor becomes undefined at v=c. where v is velocity of the object and c is the speed of light. And so, we can't meaningfully calculate what is actually happening to the photon. the equations are only useful for objects going NEAR the speed of light. In fact, that's why I invited mrphysics, Since he's more versed in this sort of thing.

If you will agree with Relativity that Light is itself independent of anything. It was discovered that Light does not travel through anything as proposed by some physicist before, but the Michelson-Morley (hope am right ) experiment proved that light does not travel through anything (ether).

Secondly, you will also agree with Lorentz transformation and Einsteins second Postulate that Nothing will EVER travel with a speed equal to the speed of light or greater. So the question even if you think is useful for objects going near or equal with the speed of light is also not possible and as such meaningless, it tries to violet Special relativity.

From point one and two above, Special theory of relativity has taught us that TIME and space are intertwined, so time is included in our space leading to the notion of space time (x, y, z, t). it means that none can happen without the other. And from the point you have raised so far, I therefore make this suggestion to the question.

Light has a measurement with unit dependent on time and as such it is meaningless to say that it was all produced during Big band.

Was it seen before it was even produced?? lol,

Light moves through nothing not even the proposed ETHER and photon is a component of light though it has no rest mass.

Thanks

Tempakguy how is studies? I have been very busy with service, I was posted to Kano where my students don't read. They don't challenge me at all. Most times am busy at my PPA, I only come to read comments and posts, I have been following you anyway though you are most active in the Atheist thread.

During you study of physics, I want to invite you to the Solid State Physics or the Condensed matter physics, you can take it to be the theoretical physics. It's more of quantum mechanics and materials. Put your interest there and we will talk about it later. thanks

2 Likes

Re: Physicists/Science People...lets Discuss This. by mrphysics(m): 7:53am On Jul 14, 2016
Oh maybe I didn't even address the issue. Lol, time , Einstein didn't even think of this kind of question. Lol, Well it can be looked upon from the point of Lorentz transformation where we have seen how time evolve from initial reference frame and another frame T ' say moving. And it didn't show any dependence on anything than the velocity of the object and speed of light. Even if you put T' equals to infinity on the Lorentz transformation (I.e @ Big bang), we see that all other things become infinity validating the big bang.

infact, am becoming confused. Lol. Am coming back.

1 Like

Re: Physicists/Science People...lets Discuss This. by mrphysics(m): 9:48am On Jul 14, 2016
Let me chip this in before I go out. it's the opinion of my friend and Physics classmate. he said

" Prof. A photon travels in time and space like any other particle because a photon is a particle. A photon is not special at such. It's not the only massless particle and not the only spin zero particle. If photon experiences time and space, light does too. Remember that light is just a stream of photons. Gravity bends the path of light. That's what general relativity says and it has been observed. If the path of light bends, it's because of space-time curvature. So light experiences space-time."

Thanks.

Where art thou oh Tempakguy
Re: Physicists/Science People...lets Discuss This. by Nobody: 6:13pm On Jul 14, 2016
mrphysics:

If you will agree with Relativity that Light is itself independent of anything. It was discovered that Light does not travel through anything as proposed by some physicist before, but the Michelson-Morley (hope am right ) experiment proved that light does not travel through anything (ether).

Secondly, you will also agree with Lorentz transformation and Einsteins second Postulate that Nothing will EVER travel with a speed equal to the speed of light or greater. So the question even if you think is useful for objects going near or equal with the speed of light is also not possible and as such meaningless, it tries to violet Special relativity.

From point one and two above, Special theory of relativity has taught us that TIME and space are intertwined, so time is included in our space leading to the notion of space time (x, y, z, t). it means that none can happen without the other. And from the point you have raised so far, I therefore make this suggestion to the question.

Light has a measurement with unit dependent on time and as such it is meaningless to say that it was all produced during Big band.

Was it seen before it was even produced?? lol,

Light moves through nothing not even the proposed ETHER and photon is a component of light though it has no rest mass.

Thanks
Alright. Fair enough.

Tempakguy how is studies? I have been very busy with service, I was posted to Kano where my students don't read. They don't challenge me at all. Most times am busy at my PPA, I only come to read comments and posts, I have been following you anyway though you are most active in the Atheist thread.

During you study of physics, I want to invite you to the Solid State Physics or the Condensed matter physics, you can take it to be the theoretical physics. It's more of quantum mechanics and materials. Put your interest there and we will talk about it later. thanks
I'm afraid I must now apologize profusely for my behavior regarding to the Atheist threads. cheesy

I'm currently studying Fourier series, and it's REALLY time and brain consuming, and meanwhile, I have a bad case of common cold. such that, when I log on to nairaland, All my science whiz just melts off due to intellectual fatigue. I honestly didn't know one could experience that until recently. sad

As a result, I'm often cranky when I come online, due to one reason or the other, and any small provocation tips me off. my last bout was especially horrifying and I've promised myself to avoid getting entangled in such dirty exchanges. grin grin

I'm actually quite interested in condensed matter physics. It's my second top choice for Postgraduate studies after theoretical physics. So yeah, we can totally talk about it later, at your convenience.

1 Like

Re: Physicists/Science People...lets Discuss This. by Nobody: 6:15pm On Jul 14, 2016
mrphysics:
Let me chip this in before I go out. it's the opinion of my friend and Physics classmate. he said

" Prof. A photon travels in time and space like any other particle because a photon is a particle. A photon is not special at such. It's not the only massless particle and not the only spin zero particle. If photon experiences time and space, light does too. Remember that light is just a stream of photons. Gravity bends the path of light. That's what general relativity says and it has been observed. If the path of light bends, it's because of space-time curvature. So light experiences space-time."

Thanks.

Where art thou oh Tempakguy
Well, your friend somewhat correct. however, I would like to know what other particles are equally mass-less and have zero spins.

I know the gluon is one . . . any others?

1 Like

(1) (Reply)

Men Could Have Babies WITHOUT Women Using Skin Cell / Thunderstorms Will Hit Abuja, Others – Nimet / Oh Naija!!!

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 30
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.