Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,151,986 members, 7,814,362 topics. Date: Wednesday, 01 May 2024 at 11:42 AM

How Can I Collect My Employment Letter From My Employer - Career - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Career / How Can I Collect My Employment Letter From My Employer (10027 Views)

My Employer Does Not Want Me To Leave - Please Advice Me / My Employer Is Taking Advantage Of Me / I Was Slapped By My Employer (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) (Reply) (Go Down)

How Can I Collect My Employment Letter From My Employer by lawnreigh(m): 12:42pm On Jul 13, 2016
Good Afternoon Nairalanders, I really need your advice my people, I work in a production company owned Chinese as an Asst. HR, although I was recently employed there, I asked my Manager who happens to be a Nigerian about employment letter at least if I'm not collecting it in the beginning (probation period) I should be able to know the duration which the probation period will end and I will be able to collect my employment letter. To my greatest surprise my Manager told me that they don't give employment letter that funny enough he hasn't been given one too. It was so surprising and demoralizing, he now told me to meet our General Manager(Chinese) and ask him about it. After asking him, he dodged the question and told me that he will consider it latter and all that. My Manager already told me that will be his response and that they don't give people letter in order to avoid litigation in it comes up. To the Lawyers and experienced people on this forum, I need your advice
Note: This people can make you work for 24hrs and they pay stipend that doesn't commensurate with my certificate coupled with the fact that I speak Chinese (intermediate). Moreover I've seen them dismiss people in cold blood(Factory Workers), they axe at will, no severance package, benefits etc but the fear of unemployment is also the beginning of wisdom considering the fact that there are little job out there with thousands of Job Seekers. Please matured advice only

2 Likes

Re: How Can I Collect My Employment Letter From My Employer by yomalex(m): 12:45pm On Jul 13, 2016
You better run but if no other option ....

1 Like

Re: How Can I Collect My Employment Letter From My Employer by veekid(m): 6:30am On Jul 14, 2016
This one is strong o, I don't even know what to say
Re: How Can I Collect My Employment Letter From My Employer by Badtguyy(m): 6:31am On Jul 14, 2016
They wan dey dodge bullet incase it comes. Just be careful.

1 Like

Re: How Can I Collect My Employment Letter From My Employer by highskies(m): 6:31am On Jul 14, 2016
Lolz. Even Nigerian firms do the same bro. They all do it avoid litigation as you have rightly said.

Barcanista, Tonye and other lawyers over to you.

I'm also keenly interested.

3 Likes 2 Shares

Re: How Can I Collect My Employment Letter From My Employer by reverendfather: 6:33am On Jul 14, 2016
op you are just sitting on a time bomb
Re: How Can I Collect My Employment Letter From My Employer by flyca: 6:34am On Jul 14, 2016
What is the use of Labour Ministry and labour unions in the godda.... country if foreigners can come in treat us the citizens this way

Imagine the Chinese man has already learned how to bully us and do away with law in our own country. And labour is so cheap for them because of high rate unemployment. Damn! angry

Sorry sister, I don't know how to help you here.

16 Likes 2 Shares

Re: How Can I Collect My Employment Letter From My Employer by iornenge81(m): 6:34am On Jul 14, 2016
your contract doesn't have any legal backing. you may choose to work on trust if you want but it's sure not safe. I am not a lawyer sha

4 Likes

Re: How Can I Collect My Employment Letter From My Employer by rrule911(m): 6:35am On Jul 14, 2016
I advise you send him an official mail, ensure u Copy you personal mail like yahoo or gmail, use recipient read and detail you fears, recommendations and present situation... That should be tenable in the future

7 Likes

Re: How Can I Collect My Employment Letter From My Employer by eph12(m): 6:36am On Jul 14, 2016
Continue your work there and at the same time be on the look out for another. You're not safe there at all.
Re: How Can I Collect My Employment Letter From My Employer by nastyesco(m): 6:36am On Jul 14, 2016
I can't guarantee you that you will get a job immediately you quit this one, but then again...a time comes when a man must know what he wants in life, if they don't pay well and also didn't give employment letter, I ll advise u leave if you have some external financial support that you can always bank on (family, relatives) else,just stay and search feverently and quit without any notice cos this Buhari economy no be am. An employer who doesn't deem it fit to do the needful on his end doesn't deserve any loyalty on your end.

1 Like

Re: How Can I Collect My Employment Letter From My Employer by chingydaboss(m): 6:42am On Jul 14, 2016
Wow..ask God for another job..
Secondly, they should be reported to labour unions so that this can b corrected..

Thirdly, your kind should be in better places lyk d UN..as a result of u speaking chinese..

Best of luck broda

3 Likes

Re: How Can I Collect My Employment Letter From My Employer by ttmacoy: 6:49am On Jul 14, 2016
Really A contract doesn't have any legal backing?

iornenge81:
your contract doesn't have any legal backing. you may choose to work on trust if you want but it's sure not safe. I am not a lawyer sha
Re: How Can I Collect My Employment Letter From My Employer by Inspectahdeck(m): 6:49am On Jul 14, 2016
1) manage and search for another job. You have no life over there.

2) start a business or go into agriculture.

I resigned from the oil and gas industry last year January, I got married that same January. But I decided never to work for a company that owes salary for months and treat workers badly.

For a year and 3 months I did nothing but God never allowed me and my wife suffer. We had food and could pay our utility bills. All I did was to prepare myself (I decided never to work for a one man business or stupid companies, instead I start mine) April this year the favour of the Lord descended and I own my business and also a pig farm worth 5m naira.

I don't have time for my farm because my manpower and procurement business is keeping me very busy. How the money came is a blessing.

I had a sincere 1 month fast and things change.

Get motivated bro and take that step. It's never easy but you will be glad you did at the end.

19 Likes 1 Share

Re: How Can I Collect My Employment Letter From My Employer by cherriton12: 6:53am On Jul 14, 2016
You will be notified...
Re: How Can I Collect My Employment Letter From My Employer by swimcash(m): 6:56am On Jul 14, 2016
lawnreigh:
Good Afternoon Nairalanders, I really need your advice my people, I work in a production company owned Chinese as an Asst. HR, although I was recently employed there, I asked my Manager who happens to be a Nigerian about employment letter at least if I'm not collecting it in the beginning (probation period) I should be able to know the duration which the probation period will end and I will be able to collect my employment letter. To my greatest surprise my Manager told me that they don't give employment letter that funny enough he hasn't been given one too. It was so surprising and demoralizing, he now told me to meet our General Manager(Chinese) and ask him about it. After asking him, he dodged the question and told me that he will consider it latter and all that. My Manager already told me that will be his response and that they don't give people letter in order to avoid litigation in it comes up. To the Lawyers and experienced people on this forum, I need your advice
Note: This people can make you work for 24hrs and they pay stipend that doesn't commensurate with my certificate coupled with the fact that I speak Chinese (intermediate). Moreover I've seen them dismiss people in cold blood(Factory Workers), they axe at will, no severance package, benefits etc but the fear of unemployment is also the beginning of wisdom considering the fact that there are little job out there with thousands of Job Seekers. Please matured advice only
Chinese don't give employment letter, n dey hardly ask for certificate also, ur contract can be terminated anytime they feel like and your monthly payment can be reduced as well. that's how most companies owned by Chinese operate

3 Likes

Re: How Can I Collect My Employment Letter From My Employer by steffans(m): 7:03am On Jul 14, 2016
Chinko?
Re: How Can I Collect My Employment Letter From My Employer by nnemak(m): 7:03am On Jul 14, 2016
Are you not supposed to be the one issuing OFFER letters to other since you are in HR?
So if you don't know how to go about it there, then am afraid the HR department is nonfunctional.
undecided undecided

2 Likes

Re: How Can I Collect My Employment Letter From My Employer by dustydee: 7:04am On Jul 14, 2016
flyca:
What is the use of Labour Ministry and labour unions in the godda.... country if foreigners can come in treat us the citizens this way

Imagine the Chinese man has already learned how to bully us do away with law in our own country. And labour is so cheap for them because of high rate unemployment. Damn! angry

Sorry sister, I don't know how to help you here.
Labour unions are not ubiquitous. They may not be aware and the refusal of the OP to name the company or lay a formal complaint will not help. I believe we should initiate change if we want things to change. For the OP his fear is unemployment and so is willing to be a slave than liberate himself and others. There are a couple of things he could do to inform appropriate authorities about this practice.

1 Like

Re: How Can I Collect My Employment Letter From My Employer by ENEMIESENEMY(m): 7:04am On Jul 14, 2016
LOL abi you done collect employment letter ni.
Na our government cause am.
Bro. don't disturb yourself, plan your exit now to avoid stories that touch.
Our labour whatever are the ones that let them walk away with such nonsense, 95% of Chinese and Indian companies in Nigeria do this, especially the Mining Industry.
Re: How Can I Collect My Employment Letter From My Employer by Histrings08(m): 7:14am On Jul 14, 2016
Demand for it... Shikena
Re: How Can I Collect My Employment Letter From My Employer by MAXIMAL123(m): 7:14am On Jul 14, 2016
But why is Nigeria like this....
Re: How Can I Collect My Employment Letter From My Employer by Ghost447(m): 7:16am On Jul 14, 2016
lawnreigh:
If you can forward the details of the company and your allegation to my Email, I will write a petition & copy all the appropriate authorities, including the Ministry of Labour & productivity, not just for your sake, but for the sake of the dignity of others.

3 Likes

Re: How Can I Collect My Employment Letter From My Employer by kennynelcon(m): 7:24am On Jul 14, 2016
Chinese,Lebanese, Indian Jobs looks like mature slavery

3 Likes

Re: How Can I Collect My Employment Letter From My Employer by macaranta(m): 7:25am On Jul 14, 2016
Hmmm
Re: How Can I Collect My Employment Letter From My Employer by san316(m): 7:25am On Jul 14, 2016
cherriton12:
You will be notified...
as they always say right? Bunch of lunatics

Btw @topic,chinko phones don't last, so also chinko jobs.
Re: How Can I Collect My Employment Letter From My Employer by Nobody: 7:31am On Jul 14, 2016
The best thing would have been to send a petition to the Senator representing the area where your company is located.

But seeing as they are all so busy trying to impeach the president with one hand and stealing from our common purse with the other, I dare say your Senator may have his hands full and May not be able to attend to you.

Yet I'll say you should give it a try. You could send another petition to the office of your governor and maybe one to the labor union NLC in your state, stating all your complaints.
Re: How Can I Collect My Employment Letter From My Employer by uncletech(m): 7:31am On Jul 14, 2016
Bro great one pls hw do i start farming on my empty plot with low capital like 10 to 20k pls pls will like to start something on my own pls u can we pls chart with my email?
Inspectahdeck:

I resigned from the oil and gas industry last year January, I got married that same January. But I decided never to work for a company that owes salary for months and treat workers badly.

For a year and 3 months I did nothing but God never allowed me and my wife suffer. We had food and could pay our utility bills. All I did was to prepare myself (I decided never to work for a one man business or stupid companies, instead I start mine) April this year the favour of the Lord descended and I own my business and also a pig farm worth 5m naira.

I don't have time for my farm because my manpower and procurement business is keeping me very busy. How the money came is a blessing.

Get motivated bro and take that step. It's never easy but you will be glad you did at the end.

Re: How Can I Collect My Employment Letter From My Employer by paulo220(m): 7:34am On Jul 14, 2016
Inspectahdeck:

(1) (2) (3) (Reply)

Advise Me: What Is The Best Course A Female Philosophy Graduate Do At Masters? / How Can One Force His Ex Employer To Pay Pension Contributions In Redundancy? / How To Start Soft Drinks And Juice Distributorship In Nigeria

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 51
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.