Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,153,023 members, 7,818,026 topics. Date: Sunday, 05 May 2024 at 05:12 AM

6 Yoruba Words You’ll Need To Survive In Lagos - Culture - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Culture / 6 Yoruba Words You’ll Need To Survive In Lagos (4367 Views)

How Do People Survive In Africa / Yoruba Words And Phrases That Has Gone Global!!(interesting) / Oworo Land: Where The Tongue Includes Igbo, Yoruba Words And Chief Bears Nupe (2) (3) (4)

(1) (Reply) (Go Down)

6 Yoruba Words You’ll Need To Survive In Lagos by Nobody: 12:51pm On Jul 13, 2016
Lagos has become home to people from various tribes in the country – the Igbos, the Hausas, the Tivs and a lot of them.

Part of the reasons people come to live in Lagos is because it’s the commercial capital of the country and as thus, there’s a lot of business going on. But truly, how do you do business if you can’t get about in the local language which is Yoruba? Here are a few Yoruba words that will help you whenever you’re stuck in Lagos.

1. E kàárọ̀/E kaasán

E kàárọ̀ is the Yoruba word for ‘Good Morning’ while E kaasán is for ‘Good afternoon’. Throw that in when you’re at the office with the cleaner instead of the regular ‘Good Morning’

2. O wa

In a Lagos bus and the bus conductor calls your bus stop? Your response should be “O wa”. Else, the bus will drive past and you can’t do anything.

3. E fun mi fisi

You know how you walk into a local buka and you’re not satisfied with the amount of food they’ve given you? “E fun mi fisi” is the magic word. Say it and keep a smile and small portions will be added to your plate

4. Ẹ ṣé

Ẹ ṣé is Yoruba for ‘thank you’. So when you need to show gratitude to someone for a favour, pop in this word

5. E joor

E joor is Yoruba for ‘please’. So when you get into trouble and need someone to help out, say “e joor” and who knows?

6. Bẹẹ ni/Bẹẹ kọ

Bẹẹ ni means “yes” in Yoruba while Bẹẹ kọ means “no”. Would be really helpful if you have to go to any market in Lagos

7.Say "Egbon (bros) or Alaye (chairman)"

say it to any Yoruba man when you need his help. You will surely get help . Or sincerely he will tell you if he can't afford it.

If u enter bus or molue without money, don't sit down In d molue o, just say "ajuwaya" u might be lucky-+
[img]http://2.bp..com/-HWTnWmDsXmM/VF4fjD7k8pI/AAAAAAAAAHA/OSwZb474pyw/s1600/Molue-400x267.jpg[/img]

What other Yoruba words will you teach a visitor to Lagos?
Re: 6 Yoruba Words You’ll Need To Survive In Lagos by saintikechi(m): 1:40pm On Jul 13, 2016
you don't need this crap, everyone understands pigeon english in lagos, if you get stuck, just speak "broken" if you get too stuck, it's better you speak igbo cos you will find an igbo man in every corner of lagos state. #nomansland
Re: 6 Yoruba Words You’ll Need To Survive In Lagos by Nobody: 3:02pm On Jul 13, 2016
saintikechi:
you don't need this crap, everyone understands pigeon english in lagos, if you get stuck, just speak "broken" if you get too stuck, it's better you speak igbo cos you will find an igbo man in every corner of lagos state. #nomansland

Like i knew, mr. pls this is not a tribalism thread....it's just what majority of the people say...in day to day activities... i don't support segregation ....oh... somebody remind me of the towns that were in lagos from inception.... i hope i see one igbo community there undecided

1 Like

Re: 6 Yoruba Words You’ll Need To Survive In Lagos by saintikechi(m): 4:38pm On Jul 13, 2016
koresma26:

Like i knew, mr. pls this is not a tribalism thread....it's just what majority of the people say...in day to day activities... undecided

you mean majority of yoruba people. majority of nigerians don't say that crap, they speak english or pigeon english "broken" we all have our local languages, trust me, igbos be like mtn "everywhere you go"
Re: 6 Yoruba Words You’ll Need To Survive In Lagos by macof(m): 10:11am On Jul 14, 2016
saintikechi:

suffering from a chronic mental illness I guess undecided

3 Likes

Re: 6 Yoruba Words You’ll Need To Survive In Lagos by saintikechi(m): 10:37am On Jul 15, 2016
macof:

am suffering from a chronic mental illness I guess undecided
i thought so too.
Re: 6 Yoruba Words You’ll Need To Survive In Lagos by macof(m): 11:17pm On Jul 15, 2016
saintikechi:

i thought so too.

modifying my post grin
the act of a deranged fool

(1) (Reply)

Nigerians Worship White People / Etsako Wedding Attire / A Little Piece Of Advice To My Yoruba Friends

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 27
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.