Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,152,408 members, 7,815,900 topics. Date: Thursday, 02 May 2024 at 08:33 PM

Epsom Salt test? Can it really restore a failing car battery? - Car Talk (3) - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Car Talk / Epsom Salt test? Can it really restore a failing car battery? (19371 Views)

5 Common Signs Of A Failing Car Fuel Pump / How To Restore A Flooded Car's Engine. / Six Signs Of A Failing Car Battery (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (Reply) (Go Down)

Re: Epsom Salt test? Can it really restore a failing car battery? by GAZZUZZ(m): 1:27pm On Jul 17, 2016
Siena:

Pull the other one, this one's got scabs on it. wink

If you've got an achievement, you should be proud to share it. Your statement above, suggests you've got nothing worthy of public consumption.

It is for mass profits wink

1 Like

Re: Epsom Salt test? Can it really restore a failing car battery? by greggng: 1:50pm On Jul 17, 2016
Siena:

What car do you drive?

Thanks for ur concern my car is toyota camry 2000 xle aka drop light. The battery is 75amp
Re: Epsom Salt test? Can it really restore a failing car battery? by greggng: 2:00pm On Jul 17, 2016
InvertedHammer:
/

/
If you can't afford a battery, you shouldn't be owning a car.

What's next? Money for fuel?

Are people this shameless about begging?
\

Your comment will not discourage me in anyway. It is better to beg than to steal. You ve to know tht I ve been a member of this forum right from onset, things ve never being this tough for me. Life is full of ups and downs. One thing am proud of is tht when I had money I touched life and am grateful that some kind hearted people here are willing to help. May God bless them. I cannot sell my car cos I cannot afford bat3 is like asking me to dirvoce my wife cos things are hard

4 Likes 1 Share

Re: Epsom Salt test? Can it really restore a failing car battery? by InvertedHammer: 2:12pm On Jul 17, 2016
greggng:

Your comment will not discourage me in anyway. It is better to beg than to steal. You ve to know tht I ve been a member of this forum right from onset, things ve never being this tough for me. Life is full of ups and downs. One thing am proud of is tht when I had money I touched life and am grateful that some kind hearted people here are willing to help. May God bless them. I cannot sell my car cos I cannot afford bat3 is like asking me to dirvoce my wife cos things are hard
/
If things are as bad as you claim, the last thing on your mind should be throwing money down to fix a car.

It takes money to keep a car running.

\\

7 Likes

Re: Epsom Salt test? Can it really restore a failing car battery? by greggng: 2:26pm On Jul 17, 2016
InvertedHammer:

/
If things are as bad as you claim, the last thing on your mind should be throwing money down to fix a car.

\\

You re very correct my dear. I bought this car 6 years ago and I ve always maintained it very well. Am afraid of selling it cos sometimes it equally help me with chop money. Is not totally a liability per say. I ve been jobless since 2013 I finished nysc but I know one day I will come testify on nairaland. What I ve now is temporal. I salute u for ur wisdom God bless u

1 Like

Re: Epsom Salt test? Can it really restore a failing car battery? by Bnladan(m): 2:43pm On Jul 17, 2016
sammily:

That's a misinformation bro, distilled water has been distilled by boiling and condensed to remove most of the impurities including dissolved metals and minerals. The bottle water like Eva still contains these dissolved minerals, that why it's not encouraged to used in wet cells or car cooling system (to mix the coolant)
i'll gladly gv u Professor U.A. Birnin-Yauri's contact details. He's a renowned professor of Analytical chemistry. U can Google d name and see for urself. I did use bottle water (Eva, 2 be specific) for my project work and believe me my result was 1 of d best. Thank u
Re: Epsom Salt test? Can it really restore a failing car battery? by emi14: 2:47pm On Jul 17, 2016
Go and buy battery
Re: Epsom Salt test? Can it really restore a failing car battery? by humbledbyfaith(m): 2:55pm On Jul 17, 2016
InvertedHammer:

/

\\
Good day sir,
I just saw your mail now, I had a low battery and was unable to make or receive calls.
Just replied your mail now...

Happy Sunday,
God bless
Re: Epsom Salt test? Can it really restore a failing car battery? by Kenkeye: 2:57pm On Jul 17, 2016
Bnladan:
i'll gladly gv u Professor U.A. Birnin-Yauri's contact details. He's a renowned professor of Analytical chemistry. U can Google d name and see for urself. I did use bottle water (Eva, 2 be specific) for my project work and believe me my result was 1 of d best. Thank u

How do you know that your result was okay? And what test(s) did you carry out on the Eva water to ascertain that it was free of impurities?

1 Like

Re: Epsom Salt test? Can it really restore a failing car battery? by Bnladan(m): 3:08pm On Jul 17, 2016
Kenkeye:

How do you know that your result was okay? And what test(s) did you carry out on the Eva water to ascertain that it was free of impurities?
I did a physico-chemical analysis of Shea Butter samples gotten from different parts of d country. I compared my result with those of ppl who did similar work. I got result close 2 there's. Distilled water is de-ionised water if u will agree with me. It is written on the bottle of Eva "de-ionised" water. The process of boiling and condensing water 2 get distilled water is de-ionising (2 remove ions).
Re: Epsom Salt test? Can it really restore a failing car battery? by love4rent80s: 3:09pm On Jul 17, 2016
greggng:

Please I am having same battery issue and it has been embarassing to me new one is roughly 18k I don't mind if u can help me with something financially zenith acct 2007820971 God bless u

U put juju for mouth? Na by force to drive car? U get money for car but u no get money to buy the battery

1 Like

Re: Epsom Salt test? Can it really restore a failing car battery? by Taolyn4lif(m): 3:10pm On Jul 17, 2016
Bnladan:

Kenkeye:

Good question
Re: Epsom Salt test? Can it really restore a failing car battery? by adanny01(m): 3:18pm On Jul 17, 2016
onos217:
A quick reaction to what you have written above:
The multimeter reading of a battery does not actually tells if a battery is bad or good. The only way you get to know is by placing a load on it, and watch how long its sustained the load. So, whether your battery reads 11v or 13v is almost insignificant. There are some batteries that will read 13v, but immediately you put a load on it, it will drop to 0v.

A voltmeter test on a 12V battery that shows 11V means that the battery's state of charge is 0%. A load test in this case is pointless as the load will not be powered. Its only when the volt test shows 13V that the load test is the second test to determine the integrity of the battery. Therefore the multimeter reading is as important as the load test

A battery has a lifecycle. When a battery attained its l. ife cycle, it's dead and buried.

A battery can be dead but not buried. All Lead-acid batteries must be recycled. Just yesterday morning, i traded my battery for N3,000 for a new battery of N13,000 to pay only 10k.

Moreso, you changed the electrolyte but
but you didn't change the electrodes. Don't you know when the electrodes are used up its almost impossible for chemical reaction to occur. I would advice you get yourselves a new battery and save yourself from needless stress.

Lead-acid batteries in the real sense of it do not die. Its either the electrodes has too much sulphation or lost parts of the electrodes by shedding which is caused by excessive charging or discharging. There are hopes for sulphation, one of which the op is attempting.

Have a good day!
Re: Epsom Salt test? Can it really restore a failing car battery? by Kenkeye: 3:30pm On Jul 17, 2016
Bnladan:
I did a physico-chemical analysis of Shea Butter samples gotten from different parts of d country. I compared my result with those of ppl who did similar work. I got result close 2 there's. Distilled water is de-ionised water if u will agree with me. It is written on the bottle of Eva "de-ionised" water. The process of boiling and condensing water 2 get distilled water is de-ionising (2 remove ions).

My brother, that you got results similar or close to some people's results doesn't guarantee that your results are good. What if the 'others' commited same error(s) you committed? And mind you, I don't agree with you that distilled water is same as deionized water. Distilled water, deionized water and distilled-deionized water are completely different from one another. You should have investigated the purity of the Eva water before you used it as distilled or deionized water as the case was. Have you published a journal from that work?

4 Likes

Re: Epsom Salt test? Can it really restore a failing car battery? by doe: 4:00pm On Jul 17, 2016
ajealadick:

Since some idiots think anyone calling for personal advice wants to scam someone then they should never get the benefit of the outcome of my research( one which they are very lazy to do). If you are serious then send me a private message. It's not for public consumption.

Story. This one dey find victim!

1 Like

Re: Epsom Salt test? Can it really restore a failing car battery? by Bnladan(m): 4:15pm On Jul 17, 2016
Kenkeye:

My brother, that you got results similar or close to some people's results doesn't guarantee that your results are good. What if the 'others' commited same error(s) you committed? And mind you, I don't agree with you that distilled water is same as deionized water. Distilled water, deionized water and distilled-deionized water are completely different from one another. You should have investigated the purity of the Eva water before you used it as distilled or deionized water as the case was. Have you published a journal from that work?
now take it as a challenge and do the investigation urself on the purity of Eva and if it serves as an alternative for distilled water. I believe it's an alternative and will still use it again if d need arrive. Thank you for ur tym. Dis is my last statement regarding dis

2 Likes 1 Share

Re: Epsom Salt test? Can it really restore a failing car battery? by Kenkeye: 4:35pm On Jul 17, 2016
Bnladan:
now take it as a challenge and do the investigation urself on the purity of Eva and if it serves as an alternative for distilled water. I believe it's an alternative and will still use it again if d need arrive. Thank you for ur tym. Dis is my last statement regarding dis

Now it is obvious that you're such an ignorant scientist. What assures you that the quality of Eva water you used for your work would be same as the quality of the samples I'd pick for my investigation (if I even decide to follow what you advised).

Why not just accept the fact that you omitted a vital step and gambled in your work, then gladly appreciate corrections just in case of other times?

5 Likes

Re: Epsom Salt test? Can it really restore a failing car battery? by HazzanTazzan(m): 5:17pm On Jul 17, 2016
greggng:

You re very correct my dear. I bought this car 6 years ago and I ve always maintained it very well. Am afraid of selling it cos sometimes it equally help me with chop money. Is not totally a liability per say. I ve been jobless since 2013 I finished nysc but I know one day I will come testify on nairaland. What I ve now is temporal. I salute u for ur wisdom God bless u

Stfu Mr man...
You're a shameless scammer...
Your type plenty for here
Re: Epsom Salt test? Can it really restore a failing car battery? by greggng: 5:36pm On Jul 17, 2016
[quote author=HazzanTazzan post=47636361]

Stfu Mr man...
Your type plenty for here[/quote

I know some of you re here to insult and tarnish responsible people's hard earned reputation. What made me a scammer cos I ask for help? Have you heard I scammed anyone in my entire life. When has begging become scaming. Even the person I asked for help has not insulted me. I can accept anything but an unmerited insult from someone that hides under the Internet to insult me. I hope seun is taking note of this. The time has come for people to provide there identity here so that no one insult anyone without justification. If you ve nothing to say pls keep quiet and stop insulting me.

1 Like

Re: Epsom Salt test? Can it really restore a failing car battery? by onos217(m): 5:51pm On Jul 17, 2016
[quote author=adanny01 post=47633173][/quote]I quit agree on some of the points you raised except for the voltmeter test . The voltmeter test is equally important but you can't use it to determine the true state of a battery.
I have worked with batteries that read some of these voltages:10. 5v, 11v, 11. 5v, and when we carried out a load test, they passed the load test. It was obvious that these batteries were undercharge.

However, there are some batteries that read the above stated voltages, and when the load test was attested on them, they failed the load test.

One true way of determining the true state of a battery is by placing that battery on battery machine. Then, carry out a series of recharge and discharge tests. Check the tests results,it would revealed to you the battery behaviour, and will equally tell you if the battery is good, bad or should be discarded.
Have a great!
Re: Epsom Salt test? Can it really restore a failing car battery? by greggng: 6:04pm On Jul 17, 2016
HazzanTazzan:

Stfu Mr man...
Your type plenty for here

Again for record purpose, I have 1313likes and 103 shares and my identity on this forum has never changed still greggng. My contribution on this forum has been appreciated. I want seun to investigate both of us and announce to nairalanders whom the real scammer is. Seun pls do this so that some riff raffs will be chased out here. May I remind nairalanders that I couldn't have been long on this forum with same account till date if am a scammer. May I also remind nairalanders that cares to know that I bought my car from nairaland. Seun can trace back to confirm this. I want the idiot accusing me to tell us his achievement here
Re: Epsom Salt test? Can it really restore a failing car battery? by linearity: 6:41pm On Jul 17, 2016
greggng:

A car is a liability, it will continue to drain money from your pocket and no matter how you look at it, it is always cheaper to join public transportation.

If you park it and don't use it on a regular basis, it deteriotes faster, best advise is to get ride of it and invest the money.

It also hurts me to hear people suffering and saying that, they lack jobs in the mix of plenty. Look around you, improvise and employ yourself.

If you have a car or access to a car and you live in Lagos or Abuja and still complains of joblessness, you are part of the problem. I can't imagine a grown adult sitting around waisting away all in the name of 'I am jobless or looking for job'....

Go to uber.com and sign up to be a partner, if it is difficult to sign up and you have access to a car or can invest in a car, I might be able to help. You can make a decent living by doing uber and you will make a return that will make graduates and bankers envious.

The last time I was in Nigeria, I used uber exclusively and all my drivers were young and while talking with one, he makes N200k/month and he is a high school graduate.

There are many other self help initiatives like this in the country, you just have to re-orient yourself and start thinking away from the traditional updating my resume and hopping from one interview venue to another, think outside the box, be an employer and not an employee.
Re: Epsom Salt test? Can it really restore a failing car battery? by Arabs999: 7:01pm On Jul 17, 2016
9ijaprince:
These are the reasons Africans must remain backwards for a long time. We are always lazy and afraid of taking up challenges and experimenting new ideas. China is where it is todar because they have a generation that think outside the box. We should all encourage the OP and educate him on the safety measures to be taken and not discouraging him.

.... Na only beg I beg the OP. I hear say he get three wives and nine children. If anything should happen to him in the name of battery magic, will u assist his family ?
...By the way, which advice u urself even give am? Na wa for wire road oooohh.
...But sha, we love the OP, but Nairaland loves him most.
...No offence, and no I'll feelings...Buhari should be invited to witness the Battery Abrakatabra.

Re: Epsom Salt test? Can it really restore a failing car battery? by greggng: 7:05pm On Jul 17, 2016
linearity:

A car is a liability, it will continue to drain money from your pocket and no matter how you look at it, it is always cheaper to join public transportation.

If you park it and don't use it on a regular basis, it deteriotes faster, best advise is to get ride of it and invest the money.

It also hurts me to hear people suffering and saying that, they lack jobs in the mix of plenty. Look around you, improvise and employ yourself.

If you have a car or access to a car and you live in Lagos or Abuja and still complains of joblessness, you are part of the problem. I can't imagine a grown adult sitting around waisting away all in the name of 'I am jobless or looking for job'....

Go to uber.com and sign up to be a partner, if it is difficult to sign up and you have access to a car or can invest in a car, I might be able to help. You can make a decent living by doing uber and you will make a return that will make graduates and bankers envious.

The last time I was in Nigeria, I used uber exclusively and all my drivers were young and while talking with one, he makes N200k/month and he is a high school graduate.

There are many other self help initiatives like this in the country, you just have to re-orient yourself and start thinking away from the traditional updating my resume and hopping from one interview venue to another, think outside the box, be an employer and not an employee.

Thanks very much for ur advice is quite encouraging. One day I wanted to join the program u mentioned but it seems they don't accept my type of car I mean the age. My car is toyota 2000 model but it seems they want something from 2005 upwards. I only use mine to take people to ikeja airport on demand. I don't know must of the routes in lagos. Finally my friends do complain that am a slow driver. To be honest with u I had the intention of selling the car as soon as I get a visa to travel out. I am not a perfect driver lagos driving is crazy. I salute u cos no knowledge is waste.
Re: Epsom Salt test? Can it really restore a failing car battery? by linearity: 8:21pm On Jul 17, 2016
greggng:

Thanks very much for ur advice is quite encouraging. One day I wanted to join the program u mentioned but it seems they don't accept my type of car I mean the age. My car is toyota 2000 model but it seems they want something from 2005 upwards. I only use mine to take people to ikeja airport on demand. I don't know must of the routes in lagos. Finally my friends do complain that am a slow driver. To be honest with u I had the intention of selling the car as soon as I get a visa to travel out. I am not a perfect driver lagos driving is crazy. I salute u cos no knowledge is waste.

Good to know that, you have tried uber but for your older model vehicle....note that, Banks are financing uber cars now and you can get a toyota camry 2006 for about N1.6m....with a return of about N200k/month less expenses, you can easily pay off that loan within a year, assuming zero down payment.

Also, if you go to Uber partner's site and begin the Driver signup process, I believe there is an option of you choosing that you want to use your own car or have Uber work on your behalf with the Banks to finance one for you.

One really need to know lagos roads, but GPS on your smartphone will solve that problem...Again, you have to be passive-aggressive driver, been a slow driver all the time, will not help.

I receive notifications from my Bank -First Bank periodically that they will finance an Ubar car for me or a driver under me.
Re: Epsom Salt test? Can it really restore a failing car battery? by adanny01(m): 9:11pm On Jul 17, 2016
onos217:
I quit agree on some of the points you raised except for the voltmeter test . The voltmeter test is equally important but you can't use it to determine the true state of a battery.
I have worked with batteries that read some of these voltages:10. 5v, 11v, 11. 5v, and when we carried out a load test, they passed the load test. It was obvious that these batteries were undercharge.

However, there are some batteries that read the above stated voltages, and when the load test was attested on them, they failed the load test.

One true way of determining the true state of a battery is by placing that battery on battery machine. Then, carry out a series of recharge and discharge tests. Check the tests results,it would revealed to you the battery behaviour, and will equally tell you if the battery is good, bad or should be discarded.
Have a great!

I do understand what you mean. I believe you are speaking from experience with inverter batteries which most times are connected to one another. Maintaining a 12v battery bank is not the same as a bank of 2v. A defective battery can be spotted from a mile in a 2v bank.

The battery i gave up, a multimeter test showed 10.5v with engine off and 14.3 with engine running. How will i truely know that the charging system is normal if i dont use a voltimeter to check? Even after driving for an hour, the battery read just 10.9v. On just one cranking attempt, the volt went back to 10.5v. I took it to a battery mechanic to tested the specific gravity of the electrolyte, off course it was too low. He change the sulfuric acid, and i took it home, plugged to our home generator which gave it an equalizing charge at 15.7v for 2 hrs. 5 cranks in my car was perfect
but the voltage dropped from 13.2v to 12.5v. I was satisfied that my battery is well now only for it to drop to 11.2 the following morning. By mid after noon it was back to 10.5v. The surprising fact is that even with the 10.5v it slowly cranks for up to 20s which the car manages to sprout on. I borrowed my friends battery which is a 45A but listening to music for an hr dropped the battery to 10.5v. That battery couldnt manage to start the car at 10.5v but mine does.

I still changed the acid once again and the same experience repeated. My conclusion was that a considerable part of the electrode of one cell has broken off dropping the voltage across the 6cells.

Of course no 2 cells are the same in health so across 6 cells, a weak one would compromise the whole under a load test.
Re: Epsom Salt test? Can it really restore a failing car battery? by greggng: 9:12pm On Jul 17, 2016
Siena:

What car do you drive?

My car is toyota camry 2000 xle millge 135k bat3 75amps. Do let me know whatelse u wanna know. Many thanks
Re: Epsom Salt test? Can it really restore a failing car battery? by Nobody: 9:56pm On Jul 17, 2016
greggng:

My car is toyota camry 2000 xle millge 135k bat3 75amps. Do let me know whatelse u wanna know. Many thanks

How much is the battery? Or rather, how much do you need, to complete the payment?

1 Like

Re: Epsom Salt test? Can it really restore a failing car battery? by greggng: 10:16pm On Jul 17, 2016
Siena:

How much is the battery? Or rather, how much do you need, to complete the payment?

I stand on my integrity and I ve to be very honest with u. I am not ashamed of telling u the truth. What I ve in my account as I type this is just 200naira. The bat3 that died I bought it for 12k then and the name is quick start. However I was told it has risen cos of dollar palava. I will appreciate what u can do while I kept on asking some other people I know. Is a bit difficult getting help nowadays cos the economic situation is affecting everyone. I am not a lazy man I will also appreciate if u can get me a job incase u come by any of such opportunity. I ve hnd upper credit in accounting. God bless u.

1 Like

Re: Epsom Salt test? Can it really restore a failing car battery? by Nobody: 10:39pm On Jul 17, 2016
greggng:

I stand on my integrity and I ve to be very honest with u. I am not ashamed of telling u the truth. What I ve in my account as I type this is just 200naira. The bat3 that died I bought it for 12k then and the name is quick start. However I was told it has risen cos of dollar palava. I will appreciate what u can do while I kept on asking some other people I know. Is a bit difficult getting help nowadays cos the economic situation is affecting everyone. I am not a lazy man I will also appreciate if u can get me a job incase u come by any of such opportunity. I ve hnd upper credit in accounting. God bless u.

No worries. I can't credit a Nigerian account from here. I can do Paypal, if you have access to a Paypal account, I can credit you the money right now.

1 Like

Re: Epsom Salt test? Can it really restore a failing car battery? by greggng: 10:44pm On Jul 17, 2016
Siena:

No worries. I can't credit a Nigerian account from here. I can do Paypal, if you have access to a Paypal account, I can credit you the money right now.

Oh ok I thought u re in Nigeria. But we don't use PayPal in Nigeria. May be u can use money gram or western union.
Re: Epsom Salt test? Can it really restore a failing car battery? by Nobody: 10:52pm On Jul 17, 2016
greggng:

Oh ok I thought u re in Nigeria. But we don't use PayPal in Nigeria. May be u can use money gram or western union.

I'll see what I can do, tomorrow, when I'm in town.

3 Likes

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (Reply)

10 Safety Tips For Night Driving You Should Never Neglect / Check Out The 43 Years Evolution Of Volkswagen Golf From MK1 To MK7 / New Car Crushes Retiree Owner To Death In Nsukka

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 117
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.