Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,153,374 members, 7,819,357 topics. Date: Monday, 06 May 2024 at 02:49 PM

Not One Nigerian On List Of Most Successful Immigrants - Politics (2) - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Politics / Not One Nigerian On List Of Most Successful Immigrants (3703 Views)

Nigeria Military warns Nigerian on Cluster Bombs / Atiku Replies Nigerian On Twitter Who Asked Buhari To Reduce JAMB Cutoff Mark / House Orders PRESSID Stopped Due To Abscence Of Northerners On List (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (Reply) (Go Down)

Re: Not One Nigerian On List Of Most Successful Immigrants by canuck(m): 4:47pm On Sep 12, 2009
@oviE
How can we ALL be "a fool"? wink
If u blame your country 4 not being a success, shouldn't u fly in a 'better' country?
Re: Not One Nigerian On List Of Most Successful Immigrants by canuck(m): 10:12pm On Sep 12, 2009
Kobojunkie:

@Poster, I would venture to say that the reason is we have serious competition outside of Nigeria. While in Nigeria, majority are of the mind that CONNECTION is the name of the game, whereas outside, all that matters for little. No matter how connected you are, if you are not able to deliver, you are bound to be exposed and put in your place.

Kobojunkie, isn't it true that what we naijas call CONNECTION, oyinbos call NETWORKING (a euphemism for man-know-man), no be de same ten and ten pence cheesy

A job center in Toronto confirms that 99% of job applicants they work with get jobs via NETWORKING
http://www.workopolis.com/work.aspx?action=Transfer&View=Content/Common/ArticlesDetailView&articleId=Star20090603File1Article1&lang=EN

But generally, it is a widely accepted statistic that over 60% of jobs in the West are filled via NETWORKING/CONNECTION -
http://www.workopolis.com/work.aspx?action=Transfer&View=Content/Common/ArticlesDetailView&articleId=Star20090603File1Article1&lang=EN

The higher the role, the higher the influence of NETWORKING.

Being book smart is not enough (I believe we compete well in schools & on-the-job), we have to step up our networking skills.
Re: Not One Nigerian On List Of Most Successful Immigrants by canuck(m): 10:17pm On Sep 12, 2009
Abagworo:

There's a Nigerian who goes by the name of Iheatu Obioha.Does anyone know him?

All I see about this guy are political contributions to Hilary Clinton, then a switch to Republicans when she lost to Obama in the primaries cheesy

Oh wait, he's head of an ehtnic skin care company. Cool.
Re: Not One Nigerian On List Of Most Successful Immigrants by Kobojunkie: 10:23pm On Sep 12, 2009
canuck:

Kobojunkie, isn't it true that what we naijas call CONNECTION, oyinbos call NETWORKING (a euphemism for man-know-man), no be de same ten and ten pence cheesy

No WAY HOSEI !!! lol

Nigerian CONNECTION  is NOT the same as oyibo’s idea of NETWORKING, not at all.
NETWORKING can only get you so far. I mean you have to show yourself worthy of what you are trying to get in the case of NETWORKING. It essentially is about getting more exposure, more access to information you need to better help YOU achieve your goals, reach where you plan to get to etc. But NETWORKING DOES NOT GIVE YOU what you are looking for. It simply tells you the WHERE and the HOW but if you do not use that information and apply yourself,  it will not benefit you in any way.

Nigerian CONNECTION is NO WHERE the same as Oyinbo NETWORKING Ooo!!!

canuck:

A job center in Toronto confirms that 99% of job applicants they work with get jobs via NETWORKING
But generally, it is a widely accepted statistic that over 60% of jobs in the West are filled via NETWORKING/CONNECTION
I get jobs via networking myself and it is simply hearing or receiving info on job postings and what nots from folks who are have information or access to the information.  I network with peers, agencies etc. It helps increase surface area and also helps put one out there in the front of the line of those to be considered for positions that may come available quicker than those who do not get information on the postings early.

canuck:

The higher the role, the higher the influence of NETWORKING.
Being book smart is not enough (I believe we compete well in schools & on-the-job), we have to step up our networking skills.
It is not that easy. All the NETWORKING in the world would not help you if you do not have the hard and soft skills required for the position you intend to fill. So, it is that clean cut. You can be book smart, with little networking skills and still get your turn at the opportunity. In a case where majority of those with the networking skills ‘lack the necessary skills needed for to fill the opportunity, of what good is it?
Re: Not One Nigerian On List Of Most Successful Immigrants by Abagworo(m): 10:52pm On Sep 12, 2009
canuck:

All I see about this guy are political contributions to Hilary Clinton, then a switch to Republicans when she lost to Obama in the primaries cheesy

Oh wait, he's head of an ehtnic skin care company. Cool.

Don't you think that founding a world acclaimed ethnic skin care company like 'clear essence' is laudable?
Re: Not One Nigerian On List Of Most Successful Immigrants by canuck(m): 3:19am On Sep 13, 2009
@Abagworo
I just did some more checks - The guy is tight bigtime!

Prolly through nifty tax planning, his networth is not as evident as, say, L'oreal or Apple Computers.
Re: Not One Nigerian On List Of Most Successful Immigrants by Ifygurl: 5:54am On Sep 13, 2009
I'm not surprised. I didn't think they would include Africans. I knew Asians will be there and white but not Africans or latinos. So i'm not suprised.
Re: Not One Nigerian On List Of Most Successful Immigrants by becomrich15: 9:35am On Sep 13, 2009
what do you call success, is having $300 million dollar a failure.?

and if nobody list your name. Sometime money is not the only way to rate success. Never consider yourself a failure. there is success in you. so me i list myself.
Re: Not One Nigerian On List Of Most Successful Immigrants by SEFAGO(m): 5:58am On Sep 14, 2009
modification

(1) (2) (Reply)

Adeola-akande Is The New House Majority Leader / Ojukwu Made The Unity Of Nigeria Possible – Ribadu! / Any Hint Of A Coup Will Disintegrate Nigeria

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 19
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.