Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,155,754 members, 7,827,782 topics. Date: Tuesday, 14 May 2024 at 04:58 PM

Not One Nigerian On List Of Most Successful Immigrants - Politics - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Politics / Not One Nigerian On List Of Most Successful Immigrants (3712 Views)

Nigeria Military warns Nigerian on Cluster Bombs / Atiku Replies Nigerian On Twitter Who Asked Buhari To Reduce JAMB Cutoff Mark / House Orders PRESSID Stopped Due To Abscence Of Northerners On List (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (Reply) (Go Down)

Not One Nigerian On List Of Most Successful Immigrants by canuck(m): 10:46pm On Sep 11, 2009
http://images.businessweek.com/ss/09/08/0821_most_successful_immigrants/1.htm

I was surprised to see that not ONE black African made it to BusinessWeek's list of the "World's Most Successful Immigrants." Doubly shocked that no Nigerian made the list, despite being "Obodo-Oyinbo Junkies"!

Possible reasons:
1) Not pulling our weight in visible sectors - Fortune 500, Forbes 100, etc companies
2) We have a different definition of success - E.g. regular Western Union transfers for various purposes grin
3) Too many of us are undocumented - Submarine residents
4) Racism

What's your take?
Re: Not One Nigerian On List Of Most Successful Immigrants by ezeagu(m): 11:08pm On Sep 11, 2009
There aren't many popular Nigerian's in the west, plus you can't bribe your way into the list grin. The person that co-founded Google is there, he's worth at least $10 billion. shocked

I don't know why there aren't any Nigerian's on the list though, then again most of the immigrant's are from China, Japan, India, the Middle East and Europe, I don't know any legitimate Nigerian Billionaires.
Re: Not One Nigerian On List Of Most Successful Immigrants by sjeezy8: 11:16pm On Sep 11, 2009
^^^^ you're an idiot isn't

its plain racism
Re: Not One Nigerian On List Of Most Successful Immigrants by canuck(m): 11:23pm On Sep 11, 2009
Kai! Sjeezy8 don land!!! smiley

@eze I hear you.
Re: Not One Nigerian On List Of Most Successful Immigrants by sjeezy8: 11:33pm On Sep 11, 2009
all im saying is godforbid a Nigerian moves abroad to make an honest living and ENDS UP BEIND A SUCCESSFUL IMMIGRANT people like ezeagu, will think he bribed his way to the top

and im sure many these people bribed their way to the top also
cause theres no way one can be a millionaire or billionaire without influencing people with their money
Re: Not One Nigerian On List Of Most Successful Immigrants by posakosa(m): 11:34pm On Sep 11, 2009
Nigerians PULL each other down.

Most successful Nigerians I know, don't seek fame, they prefer their down-low status.  I know a couple who actually changed thier names from NIGERIAN to English sounding names,

How can Nigerians be on the list if ALL NIGERIAN IMMIGRANTS ARE

N U R S E S  grin grin grin grin

1 Like

Re: Not One Nigerian On List Of Most Successful Immigrants by posakosa(m): 11:35pm On Sep 11, 2009
In most successful NURSES, Nigerians will rank high. grin grin
Re: Not One Nigerian On List Of Most Successful Immigrants by ezeagu(m): 11:41pm On Sep 11, 2009
sjeezy8:

all im saying is godforbid a Nigerian moves abroad to make an honest living and ENDS UP BEIND A SUCCESSFUL IMMIGRANT people like ezeagu, will think he bribed his way to the top

cause theres no way one can be a millionaire or billionaire without influencing people with their money

A fool for life?
Re: Not One Nigerian On List Of Most Successful Immigrants by canuck(m): 11:42pm On Sep 11, 2009
@poka
LOL! Nice one on Naija nurses - We represent there no be small tin.

I know a former auto mechanic (as in roadside mechanic from naija) who now clocks 60 hrs/week in a US hospital as a Registered Nurse! smiley
Re: Not One Nigerian On List Of Most Successful Immigrants by sjeezy8: 11:44pm On Sep 11, 2009
ezeagu:

A fool for life?

respect yourself and stop being a hater/low life
Re: Not One Nigerian On List Of Most Successful Immigrants by posakosa(m): 11:46pm On Sep 11, 2009
canuck:

@poka
LOL! Nice one on Naija nurses - We represent there no be small tin.

I know a former auto mechanic (as in roadside mechanic from naija) who now clocks 60 hrs/week in a US hospital as a Registered Nurse! smiley

Its the truth ooh, Nigerians are beating the Filipinos in Nursing,

Mechanic too dey make money too sha,
Re: Not One Nigerian On List Of Most Successful Immigrants by ezeagu(m): 11:46pm On Sep 11, 2009
sjeezy8:

respect yourself and stop being a hater/low life

Can you explain how? And then name me (legitimate) Nigerian billionaires.
Re: Not One Nigerian On List Of Most Successful Immigrants by sjeezy8: 11:49pm On Sep 11, 2009
Can you name a "legitimate billionaire" from China or America or russia,

Who doesn't have shares in Corrupt governments in third world countries

or who doesn't profit off of third world countries?

honestly
Re: Not One Nigerian On List Of Most Successful Immigrants by ezeagu(m): 11:54pm On Sep 11, 2009
sjeezy8:

Can you name a "legitimate billionaire" from China or America or russia,

Who doesn't have shares in Corrupt governments in third world countries?

honestly

Steve Jobs is Syrian, Sergey Brin is Russian, Lip-Bu Tan is Chinese (tow from the list). Please don't tell me looting your own country of Billions of Dollars and watching as millions die is the same as dodgy deals by some independent companies.
Re: Not One Nigerian On List Of Most Successful Immigrants by posakosa(m): 11:56pm On Sep 11, 2009
guys pls stop fighting ehn ?! abeg. embarassed embarassed embarassed embarassed
Re: Not One Nigerian On List Of Most Successful Immigrants by sjeezy8: 12:05am On Sep 12, 2009
business is business

It seems you dont think shady deals with corrupt leaders is as shady as the leaders themselves.

Everyone you named benefits off of any third world country using their products. As they have influence in all countries they have dealings with.

Economics goes hand in hand with politics. My point is any one that is abillionaire would have to have stepped on someones feet to get to the top.

its just common sense
Re: Not One Nigerian On List Of Most Successful Immigrants by ezeagu(m): 12:09am On Sep 12, 2009
sjeezy8:

business is business

It seems you dont think shady deals with corrupt leaders is as shady as the leaders themselves.

Everyone you named benefits off of any third world country using their products. As they have influence in all countries they have dealings with.

Economics goes hand in hand with politics. My point is any one that is abillionaire would have to have stepped on someones feet to get to the top.

its just common sense

Yeah well I'm talking about the difference between stepping on someone's feet as opposed to stepping on a whole countries feet. I don't agree, it's not the same thing. After all who makes it possible for others to take advantage of a countries citizen's? At least these people have actually worked somewhat for their money, I don't think they sat somewhere and looted a whole countries treasury, but I bet you'll argue against that and say the owner of apple looted America's treasury.
Re: Not One Nigerian On List Of Most Successful Immigrants by posakosa(m): 12:14am On Sep 12, 2009
you're both saying almost the same thing in different ways,

Ezeagu suggests that MOST RICH Nigerians make money by stealing from the masses/treasuries and such

Most rich people from other countries make money from their ideas but are definitely aided by government backdeals and such, but at least they thought of an idea and DID not just steal.
Re: Not One Nigerian On List Of Most Successful Immigrants by sjeezy8: 12:23am On Sep 12, 2009
ezeagu:

Yeah well I'm talking about the difference between stepping on someone's feet as opposed to stepping on a whole countries feet. I don't agree, it's not the same thing. After all who makes it possible for others to take advantage of a countries citizen's? At least these people have actually worked somewhat for their money, I don't think they sat somewhere and looted a whole countries treasury, but I bet you'll argue against that and say the owner of apple looted America's treasury.

Im not talkin about Nigerian politicians who loot im talkin about private business men who influence politics and the flow of economy through bribes.

What you stated before is
ezeagu:

There aren't many popular Nigerian's in the west, plus you can't bribe your way into the list grin. The person that co-founded Google is there, he's worth at least $10 billion. shocked

I don't know why there aren't any Nigerian's on the list though, then again most of the immigrant's are from China, Japan, India, the Middle East and Europe, I don't know any legitimate Nigerian Billionaires.

as then  I said
sjeezy8:

So my point is for any billionaire to reach that status, he had to have some how bribed his way to the top.   Porbably using his money to influence things in his favor.

Common sense.

At first i thought this guy is a tribalist. Now i know you dont represent igbos we at all, because you dont believe any legitimate igbo or yoruba/Nigerian can be a sucessful business man
Re: Not One Nigerian On List Of Most Successful Immigrants by sjeezy8: 12:27am On Sep 12, 2009
posakosa:

you're both saying almost the same thing in different ways,

Ezeagu suggests that MOST RICH Nigerians make money by stealing from the masses/treasuries and such

Most rich people from other countries make money from their ideas but are definitely aided by government backdeals and such, but at least they thought of an idea and DID not just steal.

We are talkin Nigerians Abroad hence the article is about "Successful immigrants"

What youboth are saying is like Rich Nigerians regardless of tribe dont make money aided by "government back deals" and just steal

Which makes no sense and is just plain stupid
Re: Not One Nigerian On List Of Most Successful Immigrants by ezeagu(m): 12:31am On Sep 12, 2009
sjeezy8:

Im not talkin about Nigerian politicians who loot im talkin about private business men who influence politics and the flow of economy through bribes.

So why aren't there any of these kind of people In America, racism?

sjeezy8:

What you stated before is
as then  I said
So my point is for any billionaire to reach that status, he had to have some how bribed his way to the top.   Porbably using his money to influence things in his favor.

Why haven't Nigerian's done this in the West? Why haven't they bribed their way to the top?

sjeezy8:

At first i thought this guy is a tribalist. Now i know you dont represent igbos we at all, because you dont believe any legitimate igbo or yoruba/Nigerian can be a sucessful business man

So are you Igbo?  grin
Re: Not One Nigerian On List Of Most Successful Immigrants by OvieE: 12:39am On Sep 12, 2009
Many of you here are just a fool. There are no billionaire in Nigeria not to talk of foreign land.
Re: Not One Nigerian On List Of Most Successful Immigrants by ezeagu(m): 12:43am On Sep 12, 2009
OvieE:

Many of you here are just a fool. There are no billionaire in Nigeria not to talk of foreign land.

grin
Re: Not One Nigerian On List Of Most Successful Immigrants by sjeezy8: 12:52am On Sep 12, 2009
I think you are missing the point

as i've stated "SUCCESSFUL BUSINESS"

ezeagu:

So why aren't there any of these kind of people In America, racism?

Why haven't Nigerian's done this in the West? Why haven't they bribed their way to the top?

So are you Igbo?  grin

Igbo no, the we- an accident

and there aresuccessful Business people in the West such as Kase Lukman Lawal

Kase Lukman Lawal was born in Ibadan in 1954. He obtained his Bachelor of Science in chemistry from Texas Southern University in 1976, and his MBA from Prairie View A&M University, Texas in 1978. He is the chairman and chief executive officer of CAMAC International Corporation and chairman of Allied Energy Corporation in Houston, Texas, Chairman/Chief Executive Officer, CAMAC HOLDINGS; vice chairman, Port of Houston Authority Commission. He also serves as a member of the board of directors and is a significant shareholder in Unity National Bank, the only federally insured and licensed African-American-owned bank in Texas. Lukman Lawal was a member of the National Republican Congressional Committee's Business Advisory Council and, in 1994, he was a finalist for the United States Business Entrepreneur of the Year.

as i've stated successful

he is obviously a successful immigrant so why isn't on the list?
Re: Not One Nigerian On List Of Most Successful Immigrants by sjeezy8: 1:02am On Sep 12, 2009
link=topic=322529.msg4528413#msg4528413 date=1252712609:

From Nigeria to Texas oilman

By David J. Lynch, USA TODAY
HOUSTON — Whatever mental image is conjured up by the words "Texas oilman," it's safe to say that Kase Lawal isn't it.
A devout Muslim, Lawal, 52, doesn't drink or smoke. The Nigerian-born executive exudes an unflappable calm whether discussing racism in America, spiraling political violence in his homeland or the intricacies of the oil business.

J.R. Ewing, he's not.

Yet, CAMAC International, the privately held independent oil and gas company Lawal founded two decades ago, today boasts $1.5 billion in annual revenue, 300 employees and offices on three continents.

Teaming with some of the biggest names in the global oil business, Lawal has prospered by zeroing in on difficult environments, including Nigeria, where militants in recent months intensified their attacks on oil facilities and kidnapped foreign workers, and his next objective, Venezuela, home to anti-American President Hugo Chavez.

"I've been very lucky in the partnerships I've been involved in. … More importantly, it has been the blessing of God," Lawal says.

Lawal's unlikely path from Ibadan, a city of 3.8 million people in western Nigeria, to success as an energy-industry entrepreneur illustrates the unsung role of foreign-born talent in the USA's innovation-era economy. More than 25% of the engineering and technology companies launched in the decade ending 2005 were started by foreign-born executives, according to a new Duke University study.

Lawal's tale is also a reminder that a knack for adjusting on the fly is as essential for would-be business mavens as following a fixed blueprint.

Lawal first came to this country as a college student in 1972, his imagination fired by John Wayne movies and the civil rights struggle then unfolding in the United States. His goal at the time was utterly pedestrian: a job that would leave time for family life and ultimately provide a decent pension.

http://www.usatoday.com/money/companies/management/2007-01-08-entre-lawal_x.htm

hmmm Usa today recognizes his 1.5 billion dollar annual company

But he's not on the list as he should be
Re: Not One Nigerian On List Of Most Successful Immigrants by ezeagu(m): 2:29am On Sep 12, 2009
sjeezy8:

hmmm Usa today recognizes his 1.5 billion dollar annual company

But he's not on the list as he should be

I agree he should be on the list, but look, our debate and this topic was for nothing after all:

Immigrant Bosses Around the World
Among the thorny issues President Barack Obama faces this year is immigration reform. The current system of managing immigration flows into the U.S. is widely acknowledged to be failing, with some 11.5 million undocumented workers in the country, according to the Pew Hispanic Center. President Obama wants to turn many of these illegal immigrants into citizens, but the shaky economy and high unemployment rate make such liberalization of policy a hot-button issue. This despite the fact that immigrants run many of the top companies in the U.S. Here's a look (arranged in alphabetical order) at some of the men and women who left their home countries and went on to become some of the world's most successful corporate leaders.

http://images.businessweek.com/ss/09/08/0821_most_successful_immigrants/index.htm

grin

Thread Dead.
Re: Not One Nigerian On List Of Most Successful Immigrants by sjeezy8: 2:32am On Sep 12, 2009
lmfao i give it too you lol
Re: Not One Nigerian On List Of Most Successful Immigrants by redsun(m): 3:21am On Sep 12, 2009
Who makes the rules?Success is relative.We can only be successful when we begin to measure success in our own perceptions.The fundamental core of life is the ability to make rules.

As a people,we are ruleless and at the mercy of the storm,like a bubble.
Re: Not One Nigerian On List Of Most Successful Immigrants by Kobojunkie: 3:55am On Sep 12, 2009
@Poster, I would venture to say that the reason is we have serious competition outside of Nigeria. While in Nigeria, majority are of the mind that CONNECTION is the name of the game, whereas outside, all that matters for little. No matter how connected you are, if you are not able to deliver, you are bound to be exposed and put in your place.
Re: Not One Nigerian On List Of Most Successful Immigrants by blackspade(m): 5:21am On Sep 12, 2009
The list is dominated by Asians, I'm not surprised, they are truly dynamic people and I really admire them.
Re: Not One Nigerian On List Of Most Successful Immigrants by Abagworo(m): 8:06am On Sep 12, 2009
There's a Nigerian who goes by the name of Iheatu Obioha.Does anyone know him?
Re: Not One Nigerian On List Of Most Successful Immigrants by yeswecan(m): 8:16am On Sep 12, 2009
The answer is simple, rasism

(1) (2) (Reply)

Zoning Or Not, Ibb’ll Be President –pdp Chieftain Tells Beaf / Lagos State Is The Most Matured State In Nigeria / Gang Rape Video Goes Viral, Shocking -south Africa

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 55
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.