Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,153,183 members, 7,818,585 topics. Date: Sunday, 05 May 2024 at 07:18 PM

SUG Kogi University Blocks Roads Linking East To North - Education (3) - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Education / SUG Kogi University Blocks Roads Linking East To North (29223 Views)

Leg Of Kogi University Graduate Crushed By Student During Celebration (Graphic) / Corps Members Deployed To Teach Students In Kogi University, Says ASUU / Kogi Varsity Students Shuts Down Lokoja And Roads Linking Other States (Photos) (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) (4) (Reply) (Go Down)

Re: SUG Kogi University Blocks Roads Linking East To North by phaulzoe(m): 2:01pm On Jul 14, 2016
eyah! that is why I prefer Federal Universities to State Universities in term of strike issue
Re: SUG Kogi University Blocks Roads Linking East To North by polite2(m): 2:02pm On Jul 14, 2016
Realberry:
I Have Even Forgotten How To Write
keep having faith, im currently in lokoja monitoring events as they unfold. Hopefully KSU will resume soon
Re: SUG Kogi University Blocks Roads Linking East To North by Austinei7(m): 2:02pm On Jul 14, 2016
sweetyme001:
We will not take it the gov has met 95% of PAAU ASUU demands and the greedy and pot belly lecturers still refused to call off cos 90% of the lecturers are from igala speaking part just channeled to frustrate the minority gov: last year heard you people were on strike for up to seven months under an igala gov no strike was embark upon and the gov just met 50% of ksu ASUU demand the strike was called off. Our country will not grow if something like this continue!!! Quote me and speak nonsense " the thunder that will fire you will be like doctor's prescription!!!

madam ur tinkin iz as timid as Belloz last teeth... u are speaking baze on tribal sentiment and u are accusing d igalaz of same... as if d Union iz nt fighting fr d rights of d Ebira lecturers also... abeg make I see road...wu ur tinkin EPP

1 Like

Re: SUG Kogi University Blocks Roads Linking East To North by 3verblazing(m): 2:09pm On Jul 14, 2016
Am in kogi state, lokoja, ganaja junc. were d thing dey happen first hand
khalidx:
am in kogi stae okene central there's free flow of vehicles no blockade
Re: SUG Kogi University Blocks Roads Linking East To North by yemi2plus(m): 2:13pm On Jul 14, 2016
UPDATE:

Information reaching me from the office of the vice President, SUG, has it that ASUU are on their way to Lokoja.
Re: SUG Kogi University Blocks Roads Linking East To North by guccikhay(m): 2:15pm On Jul 14, 2016
Ain't surprise when a beast was given mandate of d inconclusive election to come and rule Kogi state...what his son of a thousand father never work or fought for,it not a big deal his ethnic group are the one who labour for other ethics in kogi for living they no nothing of what education worth....#Yeye hello.
Re: SUG Kogi University Blocks Roads Linking East To North by kubumilano(m): 2:19pm On Jul 14, 2016
una neva see anything.una know how many months i dey house because of imsu strike
Re: SUG Kogi University Blocks Roads Linking East To North by papiwyte(m): 2:22pm On Jul 14, 2016
Useless Bello is there dancing Godwin....Kogi has fallen frm frying pan to fire
Re: SUG Kogi University Blocks Roads Linking East To North by pinkrex(m): 2:24pm On Jul 14, 2016
For those of you still tribalizing the issue, get your facts right. I wrote a News preceeding this demonstration as the Journalist managing SUG affairs two days ago.

It was reported on mainstream media like KogiReports, Ebira Reporters, Guardian, The Nation etc. See this:

http://www.kogireports.com/nans-sug-ksu-to-hold-protests-14th-july/

Protests to Hold on Thursday, We Support No Warring Party- Omepa Shaibu

The National Association of Nigerian Students, NANs, is to team up with the Student Union Government, SUG, Kogi State University, Anyigba, in a joint protest at Ganaja Junction, Lokoja, Kogi State on the 14th of July, 2016.

The protest date which was announced by the Student Union Government’ President, KSU chapter, Comrade Omepa Philip Shaibu was disclosed after a closed door meeting, held on 10th July, 2016, at the institution with NANs President, Comrade Tijani Usman, who came from Owerri, Imo State.

The protest which slated for 14th of July, marks three months of industrial action embarked on by the Academic Staff of University Union, ASUU, Kogi State University chapter to press home demands for their 5 months salary arrears, which the Kogi State Government, under His Excellency, Governor Yahaya Adoza Bello has cleared 4 months out of the 5 months backlog, which according to the government, has met 80% of their demands. The Union, however, insisted on getting their demands in full as issues bothering on the 1 month outstanding salary and tax rebate lingered.

Responding to the PAYEE and Tax rebate, at a briefing, recently held in Lokoja, the State’ capital, The Chairman, ASUU, KSU branch, Dr. Daniel Aina reiterated the togetherness of the union to remain unbreakable until their full demands are met by the state government.

Reacting to the PAYEE and Tax rebate allegation from the government, he said “We are responsible citizens.

Sometimes ago, we were over taxed. Through series of protracted dialogues, consultations and negotiations, the government conceded to the exemption and granted the affected staff, a seven month tax holiday with effect from October 2015 to April 2016 via S/KGS/ADM/307/IV/876” he said. He further explained negligence to the tax issue by saying “Till date, this exemption has not been consummated. The other issue is the rebate which we are asking for. In our negotiation with government, we pointed out that KSU staff pay as high as 400% of what their counterparts pay within the state as well as neighbouring state universities.”

Meanwhile, Comrade Omepa Philip also dissociated himself and the SUG EXCOs from some controversial online reports which captured a cheque which carries the Public Relations Officer’ name, Comrade Ogiri Cosmos, fingering the Students Union body to have “compromised” their position. He hinted that the cheque was a personal affair of the P.R.O and has nothing to do with the strike or SUG’s position.

In his words” Concerning the cheque, I think the P.R.O is in the best position to speak for himself but on the part of SUG as a body there is nothing as such. If u check through the Facebook walls of the 20 executive members of the SUG, it is only the P.R.O who posted something of that nature”, he said. When we contacted the P.R.O, he explained that the cheque was a personal loan secured for entrepreneurship, disclosing that the “govt. House” caption as seen on the cheque is an address of the only Diamond Bank situated in the state Capital, which is close to the Government House. He assured all students that he couldn’t sell-out their interests for peanuts.

Omepa further enjoined all students to join the protest which the rendezvous point would be Ganaja junction by 6am on Thursday, 14th July, 2016, before onward march to the government house. He also disclosed how some visitors in solidarity will be part of the protest, “We agreed that Thursday 14th will be the protest day at Ganaja junction and those SUG Presidents and delegates passing from their various schools to Gombe State will join us in Lokoja for the protest”.

He further called on every member of the student community to join the protest, he said “My message to students is that we should turn up for the protest and fight for our fundamental human right, “The Right to education”. And we are not taking sides. We are not fighting for or against any of the parties. All we want is for the school to be reopened for academic activities”, he said.

On security of students during the protest, he also disclosed that “The SSS and Police have been notified on the event, and we will not leave that place until the Government and ASUU settle there that day or we will continue our protest”.

Reacting to the planned protest also, The SUG Vice President, Edogbo Anthony have also applauded the patriotism, maturity and discipline displayed by the students over the past three months, and advised them to continue to believe in the aluta spirit, that a lot has been done, a lot is being done right now, and that victory is certain.

Edogbo enjoined all students to turn out en-mass for the proposed protest as the collective educational dreams of all students depends on it. Attempts to reach the President, National Association Kogi State Students, NAKOSS, Comrade Abdulmalik Hadi proved abortive as he was unavailable at the time of filing this report.
Re: SUG Kogi University Blocks Roads Linking East To North by sharon395(f): 2:24pm On Jul 14, 2016
If the government and ASUU won't do anything den we the students will

1 Like

Re: SUG Kogi University Blocks Roads Linking East To North by kasheemawo(m): 2:27pm On Jul 14, 2016
Block those highways so that ibos could stop coming to the northern states
Re: SUG Kogi University Blocks Roads Linking East To North by Amazing4grace(m): 2:47pm On Jul 14, 2016
Dream369:
Yahaya Bello is a heartless Gov. He doesn't care about you
after Paying four month's to the so called lectures?
Re: SUG Kogi University Blocks Roads Linking East To North by emmalfa(m): 2:53pm On Jul 14, 2016
May God help us in Kogi state. Instead of paying workers their salary, Gov. Bello uses the N20b bail out fund to buy exhortic jeeps worth N15m each for local government chairmen and commissioners. God will surely deliver us.

Re: SUG Kogi University Blocks Roads Linking East To North by sexymonkey(m): 2:55pm On Jul 14, 2016
sweetyme001:
Before thunder strike you let me answer your questions one by follow!!!
The gov of this dispensation met 95% of ksu ASUU demand by paying 4 months out of 5 mouths salary and other entitlements not owned by him.
Ksu ASUU went on strike last year under the administration of wada an igala speaking gov and the students didn't go on protest and he only managed to fulfill just 50% of their demand paying just half month salary and the strike was called off.
Ebira lecturers can not continue lecture cos they represent just 5% of the lecturers work force.
a myopic and biased post from a narrow brain oaf that throws in the tribalism card at every given time. Am very sure you're either a fresher or luckily in 200l or in p.d sef cos no 300l upward student will come up with this shi.t u posted.
Re: SUG Kogi University Blocks Roads Linking East To North by yemi2plus(m): 3:08pm On Jul 14, 2016
Updates:

By- Promise Emmanuel- Live from Lokoja

The Students are in mixed moods of jubilation and
frustration as placards and other forms of protest
images are swung left, right and about in the ongoing students protests at Kogi State capital, Lokoja. Many other students are joining up. Aluta songs are in glaring decibels.

Few minutes ago, The Commissioner of Police,
Yakubu Usman. SSG to the Governor, Mrs. Folashade Ayoade and Commissioner for Education J.S Tolorunleke just left the scene of protests as students remained avid in their request of meeting only the state Governor, Yahaya Bello.

We also just got wind of ASUU' delegates being on
their way to Lokoja. According to the Student Union
Government President' Comrade Philip Omepa, the
invitation was to show clearly that Students are not
protesting against anybody or taking sides as what
they want for both parties to return to negotiation
table.

The Public Relations Officer of SUG, Comrade
Cosmos Ogiri, lamented the missed signals the
protest might be sending, he however assured all
watchers that the SUG only wants the school to be
settled for academic activities. He said "anybody that would think we haven't been patient for 3 good
months doesn't have a conscience. What do we have to do? Just what?!", he lamented.

A student at the site of protest, Enema Ilemona also
lent his opinion on the issue, he remarked "This is
the first time in my life I think we have an SUG. The
fact is that both Government and ASUU have their
own facts and points, but what is our own point?", he said.

Another demonstrator said "It's high time Lecturers
and Government realise that we are not immovable
objects. They've been tossing us up and down to side with them with their persuasive positions. We are tired, we can't side anybody. Government has tried, ASUU too have tried. We only want to resume and graduate", he said.

At the time of filing this report, the demonstration is
relatively peaceful as law enforcement agents are
also present to monitor the situation. However,
nothing has been heard from the Governor as Lokoja goes into flame of different mix of Aluta songs.
Re: SUG Kogi University Blocks Roads Linking East To North by yemi2plus(m): 3:09pm On Jul 14, 2016
sexymonkey:
a myopic and biased post from a narrow brain oaf that throws in the tribalism card at every given time. Am very sure you're either a fresher or luckily in 200l or in p.d sef cos no 300l upward student will come up with this shi.t u posted.

Obviously, she is as you've described her.

1 Like

Re: SUG Kogi University Blocks Roads Linking East To North by sweetyme001(f): 3:26pm On Jul 14, 2016
sexymonkey:
Me student of ksu? No not really.
Re: SUG Kogi University Blocks Roads Linking East To North by pinkrex(m): 3:51pm On Jul 14, 2016
Government is currently on the negotiation table with ASUU and SUG!
Re: SUG Kogi University Blocks Roads Linking East To North by sexymonkey(m): 4:30pm On Jul 14, 2016
sweetyme001:
Me student of ksu? No not really.
It changes nothing. Am still ashamed to have read your initial post.

1 Like

Re: SUG Kogi University Blocks Roads Linking East To North by Defenderng1: 4:57pm On Jul 14, 2016
what is wrong with kogi state students, fall out in mass and work together come on.
Re: SUG Kogi University Blocks Roads Linking East To North by Mcmooney(m): 5:54pm On Jul 14, 2016
This strike has stayed too long. Its time the school is reopened.
#SaveKSU
ReopenKSU
I gat serve this year o
Re: SUG Kogi University Blocks Roads Linking East To North by naxman(m): 7:01pm On Jul 14, 2016
If GYB can inherit votes he should be able to inherit debt...

3 Likes

Re: SUG Kogi University Blocks Roads Linking East To North by legba1(m): 7:41pm On Jul 14, 2016
khalidx:
am in kogi stae okene central there's free flow of vehicles no blockade

Imagine you...is okene the seat of government.? I had to trek through the bridge after dunamis all the way from FMC today on my way to ganaja village. The protest was a total lock down.....as all entreaties failed...governor refused to show up and the students wont yield ground.....STUBBORN JAM STUBBORN. ...
Re: SUG Kogi University Blocks Roads Linking East To North by Mortiano(m): 7:53pm On Jul 14, 2016
pinkrex:
Follow the protest on twitter: with the hashtag #ReOpenKSU.
Cc: @Ebirareporters

Updates:

Updates:

By- Promise Emmanuel- Live from Lokoja

The Students are in mixed moods of jubilation and frustration as placards and other forms of protest images are swung left, right and about in the ongoing stydents protests at Kogi State capital, Lokoja. Many other students are joining up. Aluta songs are in flaring decibels.

Few minutes ago, The Commissioner of Police, Yakubu Usman. SSG to the Governor, Mrs. Folashade Ayoade and Commissioner for Education J.S Tolorunleke just left the scene of protests as students remained avid in their request of meeting only the state Governor, Yahaya Bello.

We also just got wind of ASUU' delegates being on their way to Lokoja. According to the Student Union Government President' Comrade Philip Omepa, the invitation was to show clearly that Students are not protesting against anybody or taking sides as what they want for both parties to return to negotiation table.

The Public Relations Officer of SUG, Comrade Cosmos Ogiri, lamented the missed signals the protest might be sending, he however assured all watchers that the SUG only wants the school to be settled for academic activities. He said "anybody that would think we haven't been patient for 3 good months doesn't have a conscience. What do we have to do? Just what?!", he lamented.

A student at the site of protest, Enema Ilemona also lent his opinion on the issue, he remarked "This is the first time in my life I think we have an SUG. The fact is that both Government and ASUU have their own facts and points, but what is our own point?", he said.

Another demonstrator said "It's high time Lecturers and Government realise that we are not immovable objects. They've been tossing us up and down to side with them with their persuasive positions. We are tired, we can't side anybody. Government has tried, ASUU too have tried. We only want to resume and graduate", he said.

At the time of filing this report, the demonstration is relatively peaceful as law enforcement agents are also present to monitor the situation. However, nothing has been heard from the Governor as Lokoja goes into flame of different mix of Aluta songs.

Update at 3.42pm:

The State Government, ASUU Representatives and Students Union Excos are currently in a meeting at the Lugard House, Lokoja.

The demonstration is yielding fruits.
please are banks in kogi state also on stirike
someone owning me in that state refuses to pay me, saying banks are on strike since two weeks
pls i need ur reply urgently thanks
Re: SUG Kogi University Blocks Roads Linking East To North by Mortiano(m): 7:57pm On Jul 14, 2016
legba1:

Imagine you...is okene the seat of government.? I had to trek through the bridge after dunamis all the way from FMC today on my way to ganaja village. The protest was a total lock down.....as all entreaties failed...governor refused to show up and the students wont yield ground.....STUBBORN JAM STUBBORN. ...
please are banks also on strike, someone told me so
Re: SUG Kogi University Blocks Roads Linking East To North by solaere(m): 10:27pm On Jul 14, 2016
Dream369:
Yahaya Bello is a heartless Gov. He doesn't care about you
dat's rather rude someone who paid 4mnth of 5 salary dat he never owe nd those stupid nd unreasonable msc,phd,profs lecturer still insist they want rebate on tax,nd assurance dat their salary we'll come every 7th of the new mnth knwin d state of d federation are they the only worker in the state useless pple ...its the stupid lecturer's who don't kia hisssssssss!!!.
Re: SUG Kogi University Blocks Roads Linking East To North by solaere(m): 10:38pm On Jul 14, 2016
guccikhay:
Ain't surprise when a beast was given mandate of d inconclusive election to come and rule Kogi state...what his son of a thousand father never work or fought for,it not a big deal his ethnic group are the one who labour for other ethics in kogi for living they no nothing of what education worth....#Yeye hello.
you're jxt a big fool nd a dull empty head
Re: SUG Kogi University Blocks Roads Linking East To North by Yoyostic: 11:07pm On Jul 14, 2016
Anyone with current update? want to know if the route will b passable by morning.Thanks
Re: SUG Kogi University Blocks Roads Linking East To North by engrajoo1(m): 11:17pm On Jul 14, 2016
if to say its in osun state u tried this it is tear gas plus unlawfu detention d useless aregberascal gov go take disperse una
Re: SUG Kogi University Blocks Roads Linking East To North by AngryNigerian(m): 11:41pm On Jul 14, 2016
ezzyoj:
ma gbola No

Òjò ki bi uw'ene ooo

1 Like

(1) (2) (3) (4) (Reply)

9 Hidden Features Of Everyday Things You Probably Didn’t Know / 78 Private Universities Ready To Resume - Nwajiuba, Education Minister Of State / How To Find The Square Root Of ANY Number Instantly In 3 Secs

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 55
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.