Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,153,015 members, 7,817,989 topics. Date: Sunday, 05 May 2024 at 02:11 AM

Bachelors In Kano Go Into Hiding As ''Bachelor Hunter'' Goes On Prowl - Culture - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Culture / Bachelors In Kano Go Into Hiding As ''Bachelor Hunter'' Goes On Prowl (5259 Views)

Sanusi's Sons Go For A Horse Riding In Kano (Photo) / Runaway Abobaku Has Been Found Hiding In Ooni's Palace / Can A Bachelor Have A Housegirl Or Housemaid??? (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) (Reply) (Go Down)

Bachelors In Kano Go Into Hiding As ''Bachelor Hunter'' Goes On Prowl by ndelta1(m): 8:25am On Sep 12, 2009
Bachelors in Kano go into hiding as ''bachelor hunter'' goes on prowl

For a couple of days till the end of Ramandan unmarried men in northern Nigeria's mainly-Muslim city of Kano will be on the run to escape capture and ridicule from a roaming "bachelors' hunter".

Auwalu Sani, 40, alias Nalako, roams the streets of this commercial city at night with his noose, 'arresting' unlucky bachelors and parading them round the city amidst singing and drumming to encourage them to take wives.

Nalako caught 14 bachelors last year, one on each day.

Dressed in an amulet-dotted animal skin slung over a sleeveless hand-woven shirt, a matching cap perched on his head, and with a band of drummers and enthusiasts accompanying him, Nalako goes on the prowl for bachelors with a thick raffia noose.

"There is no escape once I place this noose on my prey", the dark, soft-spoken Nalako explained to AFP this week in a small alley in Jakara neighbourhood in the old part of the city where he had gone with his band to stalk his game.

"The noose has a special effect as any bachelor I hang it on will marry before the next Ramadan", Nalako said.

But 27 year-old Jakara resident, Hassan Hawa, wants to avoid the noose like a deadly snake.

"I'm working on getting married before next Ramadan. You never can tell, it could be my turn and I can't withstand this public ridicule", said Hawa, an artefacts trader.

The crowd of young men and children sang and danced to the thrilling beat from the band which worked on its musical instruments comprising of a gong, timpani, metal gallon with frenzy outside the house of the hapless bachelor where he was holed up.

The singing and dancing became more frenzied as Nalako blew his trademark horn and sang his age-old song ridiculing an unmarried man as a worthless dog that deserves no respect.

As two of his lieutenants dragged the caught bachelor from the house, Nalako placed the noose round his neck and smeared his face with blue indigo dye before leading him out of the alley and round the city.

Residents donated token food and money to the band as is tradition. The human game was forced to dance and sing the bachelor song.

"This is a tradition spanning three generations and it is aimed at encouraging unmarried men to take wives to curb immorality in the community", Nalako said as he blew his horn to the admiration of the crowd and ululating veiled women watching from roof tops, peering from over low mud walls and windows.

Although this carnival dubbed ?kamun gwauro? (meaning bachelor catch in local hausa) started over two centuries ago, it was strengthened and given official recognition during the reign of the puritanical ex-emir of Kano, Alu Maisango (1894 to 1901).

Nalako, which means bachelors' hunter in hausa, is a hereditary title passed down generations and for 20 years, Sani has been holding this title which he inherited from his father.

"The carnival has become part of Kano's traditional heritage," said Ali Bature, an official of the Kano State history and culture bureau.

The annual event, limited to Kano city, has undergone some transformations in the last few years.

Unlike in the past when Nalako would comb brothels and hangouts in the afternoon looking for bachelors, now the 'game' as the unmarried man is derisively called, is captured following tip-offs from friends as a practical joke, said 70 year-old Usman Mamako, the only surviving member of the Nalako band from the last generation.

In the last eight years, the carnival has turned nocturnal to forestall incessant violent clashes between participating rival gangs, said Mamako who was at the scene of the ?capture? to "relive my days and lend support to the young ones".

© 2009 AFP

http://www.google.com/hostednews/afp/article/ALeqM5jIOW43Wavv2Ilz6xV-EH9dZVZUAQ

Re: Bachelors In Kano Go Into Hiding As ''Bachelor Hunter'' Goes On Prowl by Nobody: 5:01pm On Sep 12, 2009
Funny!
Re: Bachelors In Kano Go Into Hiding As ''Bachelor Hunter'' Goes On Prowl by Nobody: 7:20pm On Sep 12, 2009
The singing and dancing became more frenzied as Nalako blew his trademark horn and sang his age-old song ridiculing an unmarried man as a worthless dog that deserves no respect.

good gracious

1 Like

Re: Bachelors In Kano Go Into Hiding As ''Bachelor Hunter'' Goes On Prowl by ifyalways(f): 11:00pm On Sep 12, 2009
. . .that first picture,is that a human head or undecided
Re: Bachelors In Kano Go Into Hiding As ''Bachelor Hunter'' Goes On Prowl by whiteroses(f): 11:02pm On Sep 12, 2009
questa merda è buffa che parlo in gergo ridere di fermata
Re: Bachelors In Kano Go Into Hiding As ''Bachelor Hunter'' Goes On Prowl by whiteroses(f): 11:04pm On Sep 12, 2009
ifyalways:

. . .that first picture,is that a human head or undecided
prolly a costume they no better its kano right
Re: Bachelors In Kano Go Into Hiding As ''Bachelor Hunter'' Goes On Prowl by Nobody: 11:32pm On Sep 12, 2009
whiteroses:

questa merda è buffa che parlo in gergo ridere di fermata

Wetin you dey try write?
Re: Bachelors In Kano Go Into Hiding As ''Bachelor Hunter'' Goes On Prowl by 3spade3(m): 4:29am On Sep 13, 2009
Hahaha grin
Re: Bachelors In Kano Go Into Hiding As ''Bachelor Hunter'' Goes On Prowl by danexd(m): 12:33pm On Sep 13, 2009
lwkm :d
Re: Bachelors In Kano Go Into Hiding As ''Bachelor Hunter'' Goes On Prowl by mosopefolu(m): 12:45pm On Sep 13, 2009
funny what?what a rubbish nonsense
Re: Bachelors In Kano Go Into Hiding As ''Bachelor Hunter'' Goes On Prowl by Nobody: 12:49pm On Sep 13, 2009
Re: Bachelors In Kano Go Into Hiding As ''Bachelor Hunter'' Goes On Prowl by Redman44(m): 1:01pm On Sep 13, 2009
I am just laughing here. I guess southerners and foreigners on this thread will be laughing too. It's a Northern culture and I don't really see anything wrong with it. I remember I read somewhere that the fulani have this marriage ritual that involves the Bridegroom being flogged mercilessly to prove his courage and devotion to his wife to be. In Cyprian Ekwensi's '' The Passport of Mallam Ilia '', the deadly game of Shanchi [ fighing in a caged ring with daggers and weapons ] was engaged in by young men to win the hands of the pretty Zarah in marriage. The Bachelor Hunter culture is interesting. Before we know it, an American film producer might come across this thread while doing a google search for african traditions and customs, and quickly incorporate the Batchelor Hunting thing into his film. Pronto!, he has a box office hit cheesy cheesy Lets appreciate our culture, even though it might be sometimes weird.
Re: Bachelors In Kano Go Into Hiding As ''Bachelor Hunter'' Goes On Prowl by MrCrackles(m): 1:02pm On Sep 13, 2009
Funny stuff. . . . grin
Re: Bachelors In Kano Go Into Hiding As ''Bachelor Hunter'' Goes On Prowl by qblaze(m): 1:11pm On Sep 13, 2009
@Whiteroses,

You don't have to hammer it into our skulls. We get it. You speak a little Italian.
Re: Bachelors In Kano Go Into Hiding As ''Bachelor Hunter'' Goes On Prowl by qblaze(m): 1:16pm On Sep 13, 2009
@Michelin89,

You OBVIOUSLY don't live in Italy.
Re: Bachelors In Kano Go Into Hiding As ''Bachelor Hunter'' Goes On Prowl by igboboy1(m): 1:23pm On Sep 13, 2009
^^^ see catching grin
Re: Bachelors In Kano Go Into Hiding As ''Bachelor Hunter'' Goes On Prowl by whiteroses(f): 1:23pm On Sep 13, 2009
michelin89:

Wetin you dey try write?
spiacente

qblaze:

@Whiteroses,

You don't have to hammer it into our skulls. We get it. You speak a little Italian.
le persone spiacenti tutti ho pensato parla altro questa lingua che intacco sa il suo appena me ma io lo stil pensa suo buffo
Re: Bachelors In Kano Go Into Hiding As ''Bachelor Hunter'' Goes On Prowl by igbogolo: 1:30pm On Sep 13, 2009
today its bachelor hunter, tomorrow its oko haram
Re: Bachelors In Kano Go Into Hiding As ''Bachelor Hunter'' Goes On Prowl by iniguy(m): 2:01pm On Sep 13, 2009
Funny gringringrin he does that for a living?, this isnt fair on the guys, how about some spinster huntinggringringrin
Re: Bachelors In Kano Go Into Hiding As ''Bachelor Hunter'' Goes On Prowl by iniguy(m): 2:02pm On Sep 13, 2009
Funny gringringrin he does that for a living?, this isnt fair on the guys, how about some spinster huntinggringringrin
Re: Bachelors In Kano Go Into Hiding As ''Bachelor Hunter'' Goes On Prowl by sley4life(m): 2:19pm On Sep 13, 2009
Why is Kano full of -ve vices. Nxt u will hear they are chasing xtian there
Re: Bachelors In Kano Go Into Hiding As ''Bachelor Hunter'' Goes On Prowl by samnaija: 2:50pm On Sep 13, 2009
@gblaze
why u dey try show u sabi 2much,
Re: Bachelors In Kano Go Into Hiding As ''Bachelor Hunter'' Goes On Prowl by Shola2009(m): 3:01pm On Sep 13, 2009
is the barcelona jersey part of their custume grin
Re: Bachelors In Kano Go Into Hiding As ''Bachelor Hunter'' Goes On Prowl by illusion2: 3:03pm On Sep 13, 2009
Really cool. . , .  .anything to emphasise HAUSA/FULANI tradition and de-emphasise thuggery&evil in the name of religion  is most welcome  smiley
Re: Bachelors In Kano Go Into Hiding As ''Bachelor Hunter'' Goes On Prowl by Nigerd(m): 3:09pm On Sep 13, 2009
specially to the moderator, the picture in the original posting was not human head, and u ban me from posting on nairaland, just for the love of the forum and the joy derived from hearing other people's view in making correction and taking steps makes me to re-register, i can't say and i did not in any way c any human head in the picture posted on this post, as above
Re: Bachelors In Kano Go Into Hiding As ''Bachelor Hunter'' Goes On Prowl by Geezle(m): 3:19pm On Sep 13, 2009
le persone spiacenti tutti ho pensato parla altro questa lingua che intacco sa il suo appena me ma io lo stil pensa suo buffo

ANCHE SE È DIVERTENTE, PERCHÉ FATE NON ESPRESSO VOI STESSI IN INGLESE?
Re: Bachelors In Kano Go Into Hiding As ''Bachelor Hunter'' Goes On Prowl by Geezle(m): 3:22pm On Sep 13, 2009
Niger_d:

specially to the moderator, the picture in the original posting was not human head, and u ban me from posting on nairaland, just for the love of the forum and the joy derived from hearing other people's view in making correction and taking steps makes me to re-register, i can't say and i did not in any way c any human head in the picture posted on this post, as above
shocked shocked undecided

dove michellin89 vengono vedono la testa umana?
Re: Bachelors In Kano Go Into Hiding As ''Bachelor Hunter'' Goes On Prowl by oge4real(f): 3:38pm On Sep 13, 2009
Funny culture, interesting though.
Who will start spinster hunting? I bet the spinters will hunt the hunter. lipsrsealed
Re: Bachelors In Kano Go Into Hiding As ''Bachelor Hunter'' Goes On Prowl by greateliso(m): 4:02pm On Sep 13, 2009
Hum, what a culture,
Re: Bachelors In Kano Go Into Hiding As ''Bachelor Hunter'' Goes On Prowl by bigben3: 6:16pm On Sep 13, 2009
strange world indeed
Re: Bachelors In Kano Go Into Hiding As ''Bachelor Hunter'' Goes On Prowl by bandely(m): 6:39pm On Sep 13, 2009
Shola2009:

is the barcelona jersey part of their custume grin
LWKMD grin grin grin
Re: Bachelors In Kano Go Into Hiding As ''Bachelor Hunter'' Goes On Prowl by koolchicco: 6:52pm On Sep 13, 2009
qblaze:

@Whiteroses,

De okostojas vagy baratom.

(1) (2) (3) (Reply)

List Of Local Government Areas In Sokoto State / Yorubas And Slave Trade / Oladunwo Masquerade Of Okemesi Ekiti - Ekiti State Of Nigeria

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 36
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.