Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,153,184 members, 7,818,592 topics. Date: Sunday, 05 May 2024 at 07:26 PM

Osun State Bans Tribal Marks For Children - Culture - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Culture / Osun State Bans Tribal Marks For Children (5283 Views)

Photos: Are Tribal Marks Attractive Or Repulsive? / Culture Or Cruelty? Do We Still Need Tribal Marks?(pics) / What Is The Significance Of The Yoruba Tribal Marks (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) (Reply) (Go Down)

Osun State Bans Tribal Marks For Children by RedHotChic(f): 7:42pm On Nov 24, 2008
Osun bans facial marks for children
Tunde Oyekola, Osogbo
Monday, November 24, 2008

Osun State government has banned people in the state from giving facial mark or tattoo to their children. The new law, which was contained in the Child’s Rights Law signed by the state governor, Prince Olagunsoye Oyinlola, imposed a fine of N5,000 or a jail term of one month or both for anyone who contravened the law.

According to Section 24 of the law, “No person shall tattoo or make a skin mark or cause any tattoo or skin mark to be made on a child,” while Section 24 (2) said “A person who tattoos or makes a skin mark on a child commits an offence under this law and is liable on conviction to a fine not exceeding N5,000 or imprisonment for a term not exceeding one month or to both such fine and imprisonment.

The law which also stipulated that a child had right to parental care compelled parents to get full immunisation against diseases for their children.

It said “any parent, guardian or person who fails in his or her duty to provide immunisation for the child commits an offence and is liable to a fine not exceeding N5,000 as a first offender and a second or any subsequent offence, whether in respect of that child or any other child, to imprisonment for a term not exceeding one month.”

The law also protected children from being subjected to forced or exploitative labour or being employed as a domestic help outside his home.

http://odili.net/news/source/2008/nov/24/613.html
Re: Osun State Bans Tribal Marks For Children by RedHotChic(f): 7:44pm On Nov 24, 2008
I don't know why the punishment is only N5k or 1 month jail time because some will rather do it and pay the fine.
Re: Osun State Bans Tribal Marks For Children by KarmaMod(f): 7:45pm On Nov 24, 2008
Either 5000 naira is even enough to remove one quarter of the mark.
Re: Osun State Bans Tribal Marks For Children by MrCrackles(m): 7:46pm On Nov 24, 2008
This should be enforced in Ibadan as well

Or else, there would be continuous incarnation of Adedibu grin
Re: Osun State Bans Tribal Marks For Children by Gamine(f): 8:04pm On Nov 24, 2008
Everything na so so BAN

Chicken go cross road them go Ban am!
Re: Osun State Bans Tribal Marks For Children by RedHotChic(f): 8:21pm On Nov 24, 2008
Everything na so so BAN

Chicken go cross road them go Ban am!

grin grin grin grin grin grin Lol, am about to create a thread on the list of things that have been banned in Naija lately and how many of them are being implemented.

One day they will also ban Gamine from Naija and chase her to her uneme tribe in Sao Tome. grin grin
Re: Osun State Bans Tribal Marks For Children by RedHotChic(f): 8:23pm On Nov 24, 2008
MrCrackles:

This should be enforced in Ibadan as well

Or else, there would be continuous incarnation of Adedibu grin
I tell you, Ibadan own cross line. About the worst in the world.
Re: Osun State Bans Tribal Marks For Children by RedHotChic(f): 8:24pm On Nov 24, 2008
Either 5000 naira is even enough to remove one quarter of the mark.

You mean not enough?
Re: Osun State Bans Tribal Marks For Children by osisi6(f): 8:26pm On Nov 24, 2008
Another good move.
This will only work however with education and stricter punishment for offenders.
The police men should arrest and punish people with underaged kids seen with tribal marks.Only then will it work otherwise it would just be one of those worthless laws on paper  and boy,do we have millions of 'em.
Re: Osun State Bans Tribal Marks For Children by Deshannel(m): 8:35pm On Nov 24, 2008
If na so 80% of dem villagers go ready to go jail (20% don already dey jail )rather than make dem no give dem pikin mark.

Because dat fine ( u fit cal am small money but) na no go area for dose stingy yorubas.
Re: Osun State Bans Tribal Marks For Children by tope2000(f): 8:36pm On Nov 24, 2008
Its abt time
They need to ban it in all states wink
Re: Osun State Bans Tribal Marks For Children by osisi6(f): 8:45pm On Nov 24, 2008
let's not make it into a Yoruba attack thread but honestly the tribal marks have no place in today's soceity.
There's this very beautiful physician I run into in places.Great personality,wonderful female shape to die for.
Looks excellent in traditional and western wear, great ebony complexion,beautiful hair, very attractive girl but for the stupidity of some adults in her family that scared this pretty girl with 2 long deep dark grooves  about 2 inches long, one on each cheek.
In her native Osun state, it may not mean much but here in America, people will describe her as the sweet  African  doctor with long scars on her face especially since they can't pronounce our last names.
Who wants that type of intro?
Re: Osun State Bans Tribal Marks For Children by Deshannel(m): 9:06pm On Nov 24, 2008
@osisi

Very painfull,i saw dis cutie,young little female of about 2yrs (most pedophiles dream date) very fine baby just dat she had d famous 'pussy cat' trademark'. I was so pissed @ her unknown parents.

It is pure wickedness.
Re: Osun State Bans Tribal Marks For Children by geolabious(m): 9:24pm On Nov 24, 2008
tope2000:

Its about time
They need to ban it in all states wink
[size=13pt]Yes tope u are right
AM even praying for my tribal mark to go fia[/size]
Re: Osun State Bans Tribal Marks For Children by RedHotChic(f): 9:25pm On Nov 24, 2008
@osisi

Very painfull,i saw this cutie,young little female of about 2yrs (most pedophiles dream date) very fine baby just that she had d famous 'pussy cat' trademark'. I was so pissed @ her unknown parents.

It is pure wickedness.

It is not wickedness because the parents are doing it with good intentions, its just that they are ignorant. If parents do it because they want to punish the child, it then becomes wickedness and that is not the case in 100% of the cases.
Re: Osun State Bans Tribal Marks For Children by RedHotChic(f): 9:26pm On Nov 24, 2008
Yes tope u are right
AM even praying for my tribal mark to go fia

Seek tattoo removal artists. It won't cost more than $1k.
Re: Osun State Bans Tribal Marks For Children by RedHotChic(f): 9:28pm On Nov 24, 2008
let's not make it into a Yoruba attack thread but honestly the tribal marks have no place in today's soceity.
There's this very beautiful physician I run into in places.Great personality,wonderful female shape to die for.
Looks excellent in traditional and western wear, great ebony complexion,beautiful hair, very attractive girl but for the stupidity of some adults in her family that scared this pretty girl with 2 long deep dark grooves about 2 inches long, one on each cheek.
In her native Osun state, it may not mean much but here in America, people will describe her as the sweet African doctor with long scars on her face especially since they can't pronounce our last names.
Who wants that type of intro?

Should we run away from our identities because oyibo/Americana finds it difficult to assimilate?. I am against tribal marks only when it's done on children but any adult that deems it fit to do so can knock him or herself out.
Re: Osun State Bans Tribal Marks For Children by Hauwa1: 9:33pm On Nov 24, 2008
the Zuru mark is so bad.
Re: Osun State Bans Tribal Marks For Children by RedHotChic(f): 9:38pm On Nov 24, 2008
hope the north ban it too. the Zuru mark is so bad.

The only problem with this law is that you cant place the time a child was tattooed unless the wound is still fresh because no parent will be penalized for tattooing his/her child before this law but how will you differentiate older tribal marks from newer ones made after the law?. I think it's better to use any available media to educate illiterate parents on this issue than just ban it because the more I think about it, the more it looks to me that its not gonna work.
Re: Osun State Bans Tribal Marks For Children by RedHotChic(f): 9:40pm On Nov 24, 2008
Deshannel:

If na so 80% of them villagers go ready to go jail (20% don already dey jail )rather than make them no give them pikin mark.

Because that fine ( u fit cal am small money but) na no go area for dose stingy yorubas.
Na chicken change unless you are talking about Nigerians from *upper volta* . They are not yorubas but they are politically powerful even though they are very poor. undecided
Re: Osun State Bans Tribal Marks For Children by osisi6(f): 9:42pm On Nov 24, 2008
RedHotChic:

Should we run away from our identities because oyibo/Americana finds it difficult to assimilate?. I am against tribal marks only when it's done on children but any adult that deems it fit to do so can knock him or herself out.

and these kids never grow up to become adults? shocked shocked shocked shocked shocked shocked shocked
Re: Osun State Bans Tribal Marks For Children by KarmaMod(f): 9:44pm On Nov 24, 2008
RedHotChic:

It is not wickedness because the parents are doing it with good intentions,

Give a list of 5 "good intentions" from tribal marks in 2008
Re: Osun State Bans Tribal Marks For Children by osisi6(f): 9:51pm On Nov 24, 2008
KarmaMod:

Funmi is a smart lady but often she goes off tangent like something is wrong somewhere.
what is one advantage of tribal marks in today's soceity?
are people still preparing for intertribal wars to come?
Re: Osun State Bans Tribal Marks For Children by RedHotChic(f): 9:58pm On Nov 24, 2008

First off, it gives tribal and religious identity but whether you agree with it or not is not the issue. I was talking from the perspective of the parents that do it on their children. They dont do it with bad intentions and they think its culturally enriched and embodies beauty in all ramifications.

Parental intent is the question here and remember this conversation came about because someone accused them of wickedness. It's not wickedness because it was done with a good intention. It's like an Islamic terrorist that bombs people because the koran advised him to do, you wont call them wicked because they did it with good intention and was under the guidance of their holy book. Once again, it's legal issues and I hope you are asking this with good intentions like the victims parents and not because it has to do with osun because whatever is obtainable in osun is also obtainable in Ekiti.
Re: Osun State Bans Tribal Marks For Children by Deshannel(m): 10:00pm On Nov 24, 2008
@ karma, u just hit d nail on d head.

@osisi, i tink i get hot chicks point of view but like u said whts d use wen thers notin like tribal wars in present time.
Re: Osun State Bans Tribal Marks For Children by KarmaMod(f): 10:01pm On Nov 24, 2008
what concerns Osun or Ekiti in the matter? All parts of Yorubaland is guilty of this nonsense

My question remains, what are the good intentions. what can possibly be seen as being good in regards to ruining a child's face

do you also condone FGM as being of "good intentions"?
Re: Osun State Bans Tribal Marks For Children by KarmaMod(f): 10:02pm On Nov 24, 2008
RedHotChic:

F It's like an Islamic terrorist that bombs people because the koran advised him to do, you wont call them wicked because they did it with good intention and was under the guidance of their holy book.

When 9/11 happened, did you cheer with a glass of wine cos after all they were doing it with "good intentions" under the Koran?
Re: Osun State Bans Tribal Marks For Children by bawomolo(m): 10:04pm On Nov 24, 2008
well i don't see why the FG should be legislating against this. it's a matter of personal choice. the marks are crude but it's not as if the kids die or face long term health issues from this. should we go after ear piercings 2?

and redhotchic, please don't compare that primitive palm wine tapping state to OSUN ok  grin
Re: Osun State Bans Tribal Marks For Children by RedHotChic(f): 10:05pm On Nov 24, 2008
When 9/11 happened, did you cheer with a glass of wine because after all they were doing it with "good intentions" under the Koran?

You don't get it yet. I'm speking from their point of view and not mine. I hate tribal marks from the get go but don't tell me the parents that do it on their children do so out of shear wickedness. they do it on people they love and they wouldn't be doing it if they think its wrong. Same goes for FGM.
Re: Osun State Bans Tribal Marks For Children by Deshannel(m): 10:14pm On Nov 24, 2008
@ bawo i see u must be frm d state on topic but dont tink u av serious tribal marks cos if so u wont be sayin dis,

N what has earings gat to do wit marks, Duh.
Re: Osun State Bans Tribal Marks For Children by bawomolo(m): 10:21pm On Nov 24, 2008
Deshannel:

@ bawo i see u must be frm d state on topic but don't think u av serious tribal marks because if so u wont be sayin this,

N what has earings got to do wit marks,  Duh.

a piercing is an alteration of one's body too. should kids have their body's pierced? my question is to what extent should the government intrude in the life of people.  educate these people and they would freely abandon this crude culture.  and you are right, i was lucky as a child not to have fought a tiger cool
Re: Osun State Bans Tribal Marks For Children by KarmaMod(f): 10:21pm On Nov 24, 2008
This osamalo always looking for attention

. . .like a woman.

(1) (2) (3) (Reply)

Lisabi Agbongbo Akala | Egba History / Yorubas And The Ancient Egypt Connection / Iwulo Moringa Fun Agoara Wa

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 54
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.