Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,149,862 members, 7,806,438 topics. Date: Tuesday, 23 April 2024 at 04:36 PM

I Can Code In 75 Languages!!! - Programming (2) - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Science/Technology / Programming / I Can Code In 75 Languages!!! (14450 Views)

Learning To Code In Naijarea / I Need Online Banking Source Code In PHP, MSQL / Online Banking Source Code In PHP, MSQL (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (Reply) (Go Down)

Re: I Can Code In 75 Languages!!! by Donald3d(m): 6:25am On Jul 15, 2016
dhtml18:
Of course this is not true, and never one of my dreams.

This is a callout to programmers that are always bragging about the number of languages they can code in.

The simple truth is this - it is better to master languages than to just troll around in all of them anyhow.

As for me, it is true that I can code in over 15 languages (with different levels of proficiency), but I can only claim expert in javaScript, PHP and JAVA - so in my real CV, i will just slash that 15/5=3 and say I can do 3 languages (fair enough eh?).

But you know what, all that does not matter at all, whether you can code in 1 language or 1 million languages - what matters is productivity.

So whenever I see a programmer boasting of great coding skills and all that, I am never impressed, I am only impressed by what I see.

That is why I will always rate people like Boomshasha (sorry, i cant pronounce the name well) for creating something like http://www.gdevit.com/ - this is a great wakeup call for me, and gdevit has triggered me to complete my own Nairaland (which is still under development - although the old deprecated version is still available on www.Nairaland.com but that will change in a very short time)

There are some very outstanding web apps that were developed by some nairalanders too - I have met many Nairalanders offline too. But i dont want to discuss their work here without their express permission.

So based on my criteria, the gdevit developer has done an outstanding job and I shall always rate him/her above many self-acclaimed chest-beaters on this board.

Okay, that having been said, where are the wailers?
I think her name is Booyakasha , you need to start watching TMNT bro , there is a programming geek there o *winks*

1 Like

Re: I Can Code In 75 Languages!!! by ugo2016: 6:35am On Jul 15, 2016
PHP!

Ngwa pm me make I send you my bank account sharp sharp !
Re: I Can Code In 75 Languages!!! by Anmich: 8:03am On Jul 15, 2016
Edoziesmart:
document.write("hello world)

Syntax error grin

1 Like

Re: I Can Code In 75 Languages!!! by Anmich: 8:10am On Jul 15, 2016
The mistake you people make is there is no such thing as "I have Learned A Language". The most important thing is knowing how to use languages to solve your problems. I am not a pro programmer but I have used over 15 languages to solve different tasks and I believe that is the main thing. IMO tho'.

1 Like

Re: I Can Code In 75 Languages!!! by mokoshalb(m): 8:56am On Jul 15, 2016
Anmich:

Syntax error grin
lol he missed the second quote Mark
Re: I Can Code In 75 Languages!!! by Nobody: 9:35am On Jul 15, 2016
Donald3d:
I think her name is Booyakasha , you need to start watching TMNT bro , there is a programming geek there o *winks*
Ooh yeah, bookayasha, thanks
Re: I Can Code In 75 Languages!!! by nollyj: 10:07am On Jul 15, 2016
I think most of the time we are engrossed by who is the best developer, how many programming languages do you know, coding challenge etc

Well, it is part of programming community but I think most often we forget to lay emphasis on how best to promote and market our software to become profitable.

I am ignoring those doing programming as a hobby or have a 9 to 5 job but if you know 10 programming languages or can create 10 software in a day without able to sell and market it, you will only remain an intelligent smart poor developer.

Although we all know that creating beautiful product is good but there are lots of good software products built by smart programmers that keep fading away day in day out.

As I get older I am more interested on how to promote software and make them profitable rather than see good software posted here in Nairaland everyday and most end up not going anywhere after few months.

Please if anybody here has develop mobile app (app or game) with over 1 million users or web app with 50,000 pageviews per day I will like you to share with us how you achieved it.

For those that want to be the best programmers in Nairaland, I will support and wish you best of luck.

The sky is too big for birds to collide.

3 Likes

Re: I Can Code In 75 Languages!!! by fretfingers: 10:09am On Jul 15, 2016
Hi,

Have you ever done a project on biometrics (fingerprint) without using 3rd party SDK/API's i.e coding the biometric scanner algorithm from scratch . If YES, kindly tell me the language you used, else hmm suggest one you think would be easy to integrate into a web based app.

Regards

Cc: dhtml18 Danielthegeek
Re: I Can Code In 75 Languages!!! by Nobody: 10:29am On Jul 15, 2016
nollyj:
I think most of the time we are engrossed by who is the best developer, how many programming languages do you know, coding challenge etc

Well, it is part of programming community but I think most often we forget to lay emphasis on how best to promote and market our software to become profitable.

I am ignoring those doing programming as a hobby or have a 9 to 5 job but if you know 10 programming languages or can create 10 software in a day without able to sell and market it, you will only remain an intelligent smart poor developer.

Although we all know that creating beautiful product is good but there are lots of good software products built by smart programmers that keep fading away day in day out.

As I get older I am more interested on how to promote software and make them profitable rather than see good software posted here in Nairaland everyday and most end up not going anywhere after few months.

Please if anybody here has develop mobile app (app or game) with over 1 million users or web app with 50,000 pageviews per day I will like you to share with us how you achieved it.

For those that want to be the best programmers in Nairaland, I will support and wish you best of luck.

The sky is too big for birds to collide.
Thank you very much, you are so on-point. For the fact that you have applications with lots of users and ratings, as far as I am concerned, I will rate you as one of the best programmers on nairaland.
Re: I Can Code In 75 Languages!!! by obiak4(m): 10:30am On Jul 15, 2016
What are this guys saying some script kiddy don't even know how to code but they are our worst nightmare
Learn learn learn fast
Re: I Can Code In 75 Languages!!! by Nobody: 10:43am On Jul 15, 2016
fretfingers:
Hi,

Have you ever done a project on biometrics (fingerprint) without using 3rd party SDK/API's i.e coding the biometric scanner algorithm from scratch . If YES, kindly tell me the language you used, else hmm suggest one you think would be easy to integrate into a web based app.

Regards

No i have not, why will you want to code a biometric scanner from the scratch? Unless you really have a very good reason to do so, you really shouldn't even if you can.
Re: I Can Code In 75 Languages!!! by nollyj: 11:00am On Jul 15, 2016
dhtml18:

Thank you very much, you are so on-point. For the fact that you have applications with lots of users and ratings, as far as I am concerned, I will rate you as one of the best programmers on nairaland.

@dhtml, I am not sure if I am good. I learn programming to code stuff people might like and at the same time provide food on the table for me and my family. Fullstop.

I help beginner programmers and do share tutorials on my blog but I don't always forget the business side of it (Money) because that is what keeps me going.

Just for instance, I started selling some short codes for 5$ in [url="http://inducesmile.com/downloads/"]my website[/url] some months ago. Programming gives me joy because I keep getting alerts everyday from PayPal for code purchase and besides,all my customers are happy. Win Win

I still have such much respect for people like you that have been in the field for long, create products and keep getting better everyday.
Re: I Can Code In 75 Languages!!! by dangujba: 11:01am On Jul 15, 2016
I dont care whether pro programmer or not creating something Unique is more better coding challenge

You Dhtml and Larisoft i believe all Of you are Real programmers, But do you have Something That already you earning with it?

There are programmers that programming before mark zuckerberg born But they now working unders mark company

Python Creator create the language before google born but now he is working in google

At this point Whether you are Programmer or not if you capability to create Something unique You more far than Challenger please be wise.
Re: I Can Code In 75 Languages!!! by Nobody: 11:21am On Jul 15, 2016
dangujba:
I dont care whether pro programmer or not creating something Unique is more better coding challenge

You Dhtml and Larisoft i believe all Of you are Real programmers, But do you have Something That already you earning with it?

There are programmers that programming before mark zuckerberg born But they now working unders mark company

Python Creator create the language before google born but now he is working in google

At this point Whether you are Programmer or not if you capability to create Something unique You more far than Challenger please be wise.
Your post is a bit too long, are you saying that every programmer must follow the life-cycle of mark?
There is a huge difference between a programmer and a business-man. And there is a difference between a business-man and a successful business-man.
I dont want to distract this thread, but when i say that I am a business-programmer - what I am trying to say is that every single code that I write - have a way of making money attached at the end of the code.
But at the same time, I will say that a programmer's success is not measured by how much money he makes. Do you know that it takes MORE THAN PROGRAMMING SKILLS to achieve something like Facebook? but let us not distract this thread with that - but do your research well, and you will understand what I am saying.

And yes, to answer your question - I do have more than one application that I am already earning from, and no Nairaland is not the place to share such.

But let us maintain the focus of this thread. I can code in a 175 languages.

2 Likes

Re: I Can Code In 75 Languages!!! by fretfingers: 11:21am On Jul 15, 2016
dhtml18:

No i have not, why will you want to code a biometric scanner from the scratch? Unless you really have a very good reason to do so, you really shouldn't even if you can.

You are very correct I shouldnt be wasting my time building it from scratch. I have used Griaule once when I did one amateur project on biometrics.

Although my reason may seem invalid to many. Plus I don't intend in achieving this anytime soon as I am convinced its basically a longterm project.

However, there is an aspect of A.I am fascinated about and I think indepth knowledge of how this type of biometric works would help me in the long run. Hence, why I asked perhaps I could kick start building from scratch based on your experience (The griaule I used had some flaws which I couldn't fix e.g it had a threshold I couldn't manipulate). Thanks all the same.

Regards

Modified::
Cc: Danielthegeek
Re: I Can Code In 75 Languages!!! by Nobody: 11:26am On Jul 15, 2016
Booyakasha is finally here, #behindTheScenes grin , I see you...

1 Like

Re: I Can Code In 75 Languages!!! by jboy01(m): 11:28am On Jul 15, 2016
thanks @dhtml18 for creating a wonderful thread like this. I dab for programmers like dhtml18, larisoft and nolyj. More grease to your elbow, wrist and fingers to continue punching those keyboards.
I believe what a programmer creates with a language matters than just bragging over knowing multiple languages. I also have knowledge in multiple languages but still yet to attain expert level in 2 of them.
I believe we should focus more on developing a marketable idea that can generate income than just bragging of know languages created by someone else which they (the creators) does not brag about.

1 Like

Re: I Can Code In 75 Languages!!! by Nobody: 11:32am On Jul 15, 2016
fretfingers:
Hi,

Regards

Uhm, nope...that's a whole lot of work to do, why don't you use some third party software for the task rather than rebuilding the wheel
Re: I Can Code In 75 Languages!!! by Nobody: 11:36am On Jul 15, 2016
DanielTheGeek:

Uhm, nope...that's a whole lot of work to do, why don't you use some third party software for the task rather than rebuilding the wheel
That algorithm is a very long something. It is better to leverage on an existing third party software, and extend it if necessary.
Re: I Can Code In 75 Languages!!! by Nobody: 11:38am On Jul 15, 2016
jboy01:
thanks @dhtml18 for creating a wonderful thread like this. I dab for programmers like dhtml18, larisoft and nolyj. More grease to your elbow, wrist and fingers to continue punching those keyboards.
I believe what a programmer creates with a language matters than just bragging over knowing multiple languages. I also have knowledge in multiple languages but still yet to attain expert level in 2 of them.
I believe we should focus more on developing a marketable idea that can generate income than just bragging of know languages created by someone else which they (the creators) does not brag about.
Thank you very much for that, you quite understand what this thread is about.
Re: I Can Code In 75 Languages!!! by Nobody: 11:39am On Jul 15, 2016
This is my last post on this thread and I hope you're hearing me loud and clear..

It is better to know just one language and come out with 75 working end products, than to know 75 Languages and have no selling product of your own or open source projects

Sit down and ask yourself, I'm i really a programmer or a mouthgrammer (Mouth programmer: someone that codes only by talking about the code)?

Even me self have started working towards a forum/social platform for devs like uncle DHTML and aunt Booyakasha... Friendosphere

1 Like 2 Shares

Re: I Can Code In 75 Languages!!! by Nobody: 12:12pm On Jul 15, 2016
That is a very good one bro, you are turning out to be a GURU. And please dont run away, this is a round-table discussion for programmers and mouthgrammer (self-acclaimed programmers that run their mouth in a recursive loop)
Re: I Can Code In 75 Languages!!! by nollyj: 12:17pm On Jul 15, 2016
^^^ self-acclaimed programmers that run their mouth in recursive infinite loop
Re: I Can Code In 75 Languages!!! by Nobody: 12:41pm On Jul 15, 2016
Let me diverse a little bit.There is a big difference between a programmer and business man.Yes we all know Mark Zuckerberg owns facebook but don't be surprised to know that he's not the one at the backbone of facebook(programming aspect ).There might be gurus who are far better than him doing that job.Its easy for a man who never studied medicine to own a hospital. He just employs doctors and get them paid.He becomes the Director,CEO,MD call it anyname .Simple
For me, there is joy in programming aside from the profit aspect.Yes we all need money but as a programmer, there's an inner joy when you do your stuff.when u get positive remarks from people using your product afterall your hardwork. That joy is satisfactory . But sha I need money o

Thanks to you all on this thread(too many names to mention) .Its time for me to start expanding my skills to a large scale.Have been redundant these while thinking this country does not have a platform for programmers but after seeing so much here, its high time I kick to real action

And also as part of programming ethics, don't be pissed off when you hear someone say he know many languages..As part of any community, there must be bragging.By their fruit we shall know them
Re: I Can Code In 75 Languages!!! by guru01(m): 12:43pm On Jul 15, 2016
Hey guys, @dhtml18 I no say no u go start am.
As for me I know 7 languages but proficient with 4.
Re: I Can Code In 75 Languages!!! by Chimanet(m): 1:05pm On Jul 15, 2016
Mediocrity is all I see on nairaland these days. Am yet to see a Nigerian programmer of international standard.

What have we done to even deserve to be called programmers, those with 75 languages and those with 1. How many top open source projects projects, like angular, react, gulp, hapijs, laravel, docker do we have nairalanders contributing to.

It pains me so much when I see people bragging about programming abilities when they have nothing to show for it.

Please Nigerian software development industry is still at the infancy level.

1 Like

Re: I Can Code In 75 Languages!!! by Nobody: 1:13pm On Jul 15, 2016
Chimanet:
Mediocrity is all I see on nairaland these days. Am yet to see a Nigerian programmer of international standard.

What have we done to even deserve to be called programmers, those with 75 languages and those with 1. How many top open source projects projects, like angular, react, gulp, hapijs, laravel, docker do we have nairalanders contributing to.

It pains me so much when I see people bragging about programming abilities when they have nothing to show for it.

Please Nigerian software development industry is still at the infancy level. [/quote]....we all know that
In advanced countries, children at age 12 are programming with python. Before they get to 20, they are already pro.
That's not the scenario here..

1 Like

Re: I Can Code In 75 Languages!!! by Chimanet(m): 1:34pm On Jul 15, 2016
Since we all know that, why not we look for ways to grow it so that we can be considered at par with Indians, Pakistanis and others? Instead of to be bragging about who's the best programmer.

You hardly go to a serious programming forum and see these kind of issues being discussed.

Nairaland is a very good platform that we can use to grow the software industry in Nigeria. A lot of Nigerian youths visits these site.We could be posting challenges and organizing competitions on algorithms that can make the very smart Nigerians to become interested in programming.

That is one of the ways we can have serious open source projects out of Nigeria in the future and gain our global recognition just like the Indians. Believe me bro these can solve future unemployment in these country.

So bro, let's forget about who is best and who is not.
Re: I Can Code In 75 Languages!!! by Solmax(m): 1:55pm On Jul 15, 2016
DanielTheGeek:
Well, who can tell me my top three best languages merely by looking at this code?
Note: I purposely didn't comment my code

15,000k if you get it in 5mins10secs
Note: Beginners only grin

Copy the code and save it then preview it on your browser to find out.

Your best Languages are
Php
JavaScript
Python
Got it without running the code, I can't really program well but am sure good in reading code.
Re: I Can Code In 75 Languages!!! by Booyakasha(f): 2:34pm On Jul 15, 2016
Chimanet:

You're just trolling.. anyway those top Nigerian programmers up there are not nairalanders, they prefer developing things with any time they get than coming to nairaland to compose long blog/argument posts about "what programming language is better, faster or whatnot" to people who don't even know their stuff.. they're actually very smart set of people and they know that their time should be spent wisely that's why you can't find them easily only a few are here.

1 Like

Re: I Can Code In 75 Languages!!! by Craigston: 3:45pm On Jul 15, 2016
DanielTheGeek:
This is my last post on this thread and I hope you're hearing me loud and clear..
It is better to know just one language and come out with 75 working end products, than to know 75 Languages and have no selling product of your own or open source projects
Sit down and ask yourself, I'm i really a programmer or a mouthgrammer (Mouth programmer: someone that codes only by talking about the code)?
Even me self have started working towards a forum/social platform for devs like uncle DHTML and aunt Booyakasha... Friendosphere
I like what I see there. How can beginners like me contribute to the community there? You know it doesn't feel good being what torrent users call the leech (the guy that benefits without contributing).

Solmax:

Your best Languages are
Php
JavaScript
Python
Got it without running the code, I can't really program well but am sure good in reading code.
Then we have something in common: I'm not good at writing programs but I'm patient when reading programs and I figured it out from the objects he created.
Well, I'm not even good at reading programs because I've not had to debug very large programs (and reading code and keeping track of context will be very important in such a task despite having debuggers). So let me console myself by printing "Hello World!" to the screen (at least it's a start.
print "Hello World!"

1 Like

Re: I Can Code In 75 Languages!!! by jidez007: 4:11pm On Jul 15, 2016
DanielTheGeek:

Even you? Even I have started working on the perfect platform for developers. The combination of Nairaland, gdevit, stackoverflow and quora together... ALL IN ONE

1 Like

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (Reply)

Web Design, Web Development And Mobile App Development Tutorial / Learn Android App Development For FREE Here / Is Python A Good Language For Backend Web Development

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 81
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.