Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,195,306 members, 7,957,787 topics. Date: Tuesday, 24 September 2024 at 08:12 PM

Child Naming: Who Should Name The Baby? - Family - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Family / Child Naming: Who Should Name The Baby? (1379 Views)

Woman Seeks Divorce Over Naming Ceremonies Without Rams / Naming Ceremony Of Nigerian Quintuplets (5 Babies) In FCT Abuja In Photos / Recent Photos Of The Baby That Was Rescued By A Dog After Being Abandoned (2) (3) (4)

(1) (Reply) (Go Down)

Child Naming: Who Should Name The Baby? by Cutehector(m): 11:24pm On Jul 14, 2016
Ok so i've been watching a couple of movies where the mum who just gave birth would be the one to name her new born baby since she is d one who gave birth to him/her.

In some other traditions, it's the man who names the child. (Zechariah naming his baby as John, the baptist)

How is it done here in Nigeria?

Do you think it's the right of the nigerian woman to name her child solely?

Or just that of the husband?

Or do you think both of dem should be d one to resolve on a name together?

What are you thoughts on this? Please share.

Lalasticlala, obinoscopy, dominique, mizmycoli

All protocols observed grin

1 Like 1 Share

Re: Child Naming: Who Should Name The Baby? by falconey(m): 11:25pm On Jul 14, 2016
cool

I think in my culture (Yoruba) , the husband's parents come up with a name , tribal name .

while the husband and wife choose theirs , it can be an english name or tribal name.

the name the child will be known with depends on who he/she lives with. e.g if you live with your grand parent they will most likely choose to call you the name they chosed for you .
Re: Child Naming: Who Should Name The Baby? by Irishrena1(f): 11:30pm On Jul 14, 2016
Me thinks both parents should name the baby. I sure would want to give my baby a name but the daddy should give the first name which will be the one he uses most often and formally. I can give one of the middle names and the one I give will speak volumes of how much of a treasure that baby is to me.

4 Likes 1 Share

Re: Child Naming: Who Should Name The Baby? by Adaowerri111: 11:30pm On Jul 14, 2016
The man is the head of the family and should name the child

4 Likes 2 Shares

Re: Child Naming: Who Should Name The Baby? by TV01(m): 11:30pm On Jul 14, 2016
Father.
In lieu of a father, chief men from the paternal line.
In lieu of men from the paternal line. Chief men from the maternal line.
In lieu of chief men from the maternal line...wait, who on earth marries a woman without recourse to the male hierarchy in her family?

TV

1 Like 1 Share

Re: Child Naming: Who Should Name The Baby? by Nobody: 11:37pm On Jul 14, 2016
In Yorubaland, the father of the baby with reasonable input from the mother of the baby. Grandparents may chip in.

1 Like 1 Share

Re: Child Naming: Who Should Name The Baby? by iamkingzlee(m): 11:37pm On Jul 14, 2016
The Father! But then, the mother has to agree to whatever name he brings forth!

2 Likes 2 Shares

Re: Child Naming: Who Should Name The Baby? by thorpido(m): 11:39pm On Jul 14, 2016
The child usually won't bear only one name.Both parents contribute.

1 Like 1 Share

Re: Child Naming: Who Should Name The Baby? by Nobody: 11:59pm On Jul 14, 2016
Just ask your parents undecided

Cutehector:
Ok so i've been watching a couple of movies where the mum who just gave birth would be the one to name her new born baby since she is d one who gave birth to him/her.

In some other traditions, it's the man who names the child. (Zechariah naming his baby as John, the baptist)

How is it done here in Nigeria?
Do you think it's the right of the nigerian woman to name her child solely?

Or just that of the husband?
Or do you think both of dem should be d one to resolve on a name together?
What are you thoughts on this? Please share.

Lalasticlala, obinoscopy, dominique, mizmycoli

All protocols observed grin
Re: Child Naming: Who Should Name The Baby? by larabae13(f): 12:01am On Jul 15, 2016
The father nd d mother both decide on the name dey want nd den the grandparents too also name d child

1 Like

Re: Child Naming: Who Should Name The Baby? by Neverquit(f): 1:41am On Jul 15, 2016
Any family member or close friends can send in names. Here's what my parents did: dad gave us our official first names, mum gave us our official middle names. Official refers to the names on the birth certificate.

I believe the above method is fair.
Re: Child Naming: Who Should Name The Baby? by byvan03: 2:10am On Jul 15, 2016
The couple decide on the names. No granny is permitted to name my child for me, it's non negotiable.

2 Likes

Re: Child Naming: Who Should Name The Baby? by ebubey(f): 3:42am On Jul 15, 2016
H
Re: Child Naming: Who Should Name The Baby? by Cutehector(m): 6:26am On Jul 15, 2016
skarlett:
Just ask your parents undecided

if I twist ur head eh
Re: Child Naming: Who Should Name The Baby? by eitsei(m): 8:08am On Jul 15, 2016
Ook
Re: Child Naming: Who Should Name The Baby? by naijamakossa(m): 8:29am On Jul 15, 2016
I think it's the man because when you leave woman to give the baby name she will give the baby name according to the pains she had during her Labour moment
u will here names like
Endurance
patient
especially you will get to hear those bad native names
which is very bad.
Re: Child Naming: Who Should Name The Baby? by Nobody: 9:54am On Jul 15, 2016
I named my child myself.. though my family, and my life wife family submitted names,but I ensured I call my son agreed name by my wife,and I .

while my. mum calls him by the. name she gave my son.
Re: Child Naming: Who Should Name The Baby? by Cutehector(m): 12:11pm On Aug 01, 2016
ebubey:
H
here is the link to the voting thread. please vote falconey. thanks so much.
https://www.nairaland.com/3261218/mr-nairaland-contest-2016-elimination/12

1 Like

(1) (Reply)

I Just Want To Rant / If You Dey Comot Sperm 21x/month, You No Fit Get Prostrate Cancer - PidginBlog / What Is The Main Purpose Of Marriage

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 53
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.