Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,150,745 members, 7,809,842 topics. Date: Friday, 26 April 2024 at 03:53 PM

Massive Mismanagement At Federal University Of Petroleum Resources (FUPRE) - Education - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Education / Massive Mismanagement At Federal University Of Petroleum Resources (FUPRE) (1298 Views)

Guy Outs Wicked Senior Back Then At Federal Government College Rubochi, Abuja / Massive Mismanagement At Federal University Of Petroleum Resources (FUPRE) / SUG Election At Federal Polytechnic Offa Turns Bloody, Many Students Killed (2) (3) (4)

(1) (Reply)

Massive Mismanagement At Federal University Of Petroleum Resources (FUPRE) by Nobody: 8:41am On Jul 15, 2016
I have been a regular vistor of nairaland and really enjoy the way you handle topical issues. I created this account to let everyone to be aware of what is happening at FUPRE and wish those concern will act fast to save the situation. Please moderator kindly act fast on this issue if possible help move it to the front page. Thanks

The Federal University of Petroleum Resources (FUPRE) is in a big problem. The new management installed on May 4th 2015 has within one year grounded the university. Presently staff salary are not paid as at when due despite the fact that the salary has been cut to the tune of 21.5% across board. Even there is no money for overhead expenses. No money to buy drugs at the university"s health centre. Close to a month now the university’s generators has not been powered due to lack of diesel. There is also no money to buy even cutlass for gardeners to do their work. In an academic environment where training is very vital for staff to upgrade their knowledge, staff can no longer afford the luxury of training as no money anywhere to sponsor such important training. It's so pathetic.Even waste is now being disposed by the university’s Hilux van and junior staff are used to pack the waste instead of the waste disposing company. This is because the university is owing the company and they have stop coming to pick the waste.
At the end of evey month when it is time to pay salary staff will be in a dilemma not knowing if salary is going to be paid or not and when it will be paid if they eventually decided to paid. Despite the fact that president Buhari has given an order that salary must be paid on or before 25th of every month. As am writing now my brother told me that they are yet to pay June salary because according to management there was short fall in the emolument from Abuja and that management is still tinkering with the idea of cutting another 9% from staff salary this month. Of course as I was writing this article, the salary was paid without staff knowing exactly how much was cut from their June salary.
According to my brother the problem started when the current council members were inaugurated sometimes in 2013. According to sources they were mandated to employ 250 staff as the institution lacked adequate staff. Instead of that they went ahead and employed over 500 staff without consideration given on how their salary will be paid. In fact the council members took advantage of the fact that the former VC prof Efiotor was sick and away to employ every dick and harry. Many that was employed never applied for the job in the first place whereas those that applied and passed interview were not taken. Even some positions that were not advertised was filled with staff. This happened early 2014 and since then management has been grappling with payment of salary.
The new VC prof Akii Ibadode came to the institution with the aim to finally destroy it. As soon as he assumed duty he employed about 70 staff without advertisement nor interviews. Most of this staff are senior level staff, mostly directors and senior lecturers whose salary can pay five to ten staff in level seven. He further went ahead to employ his wife as principal registrar with an official vehicle and a staff driver. There are two deputy registrar in the university who are senior to the VC’s wife but with no official vehicle for them. He equally created a research unit where he fixed his son and other five close family relative who recently finished NYSC in the university claiming that they are doing tetfund research and that they are on 50000 thousand naira salary monthly. Every other month he employed one, two or three staff in addition to the over seventy he employed at a go.
Prior to this problem salary were paid on or before 23rd of every month. My brother was able to cater for his family needs and my education comfortably. In fact the university was so buoyant that when the council resumed in 2013 they paid staff 13th month salary for the first time. Since then nobody knows what went wrong. It is so bad that they could not pay 13th month salary in 2014 and 2015 and some other allowances.
The university is so broke now that they are owning so many organisation. Now they cannot by diesel from any filling station around. Conoil, DPR, NNPC and many other filling station around have refused to sell product to FUPRE because they are owing them huge amount of money. Despite the cut in salary the money coming from Abuja is still not enough to pay salary and they have resulting to borrowing money from banks. At a time bank refused to lend money to them again. They resorted to borrowing from staff cooperative society. They have nearly killed the cooperative society to the point that staff cannot even access loan from the cooperative anymore.
To make matters worse the three major union ASUU SSANU and NASU in the university have become docile as they have all come together to form a forum known as Joint Action Congress (JAC) with just a leader. The JAC leadership takes all the decision without any dissenting voice and management is riding on this wing to further impoverish staff. Staff opinions are inconsequential to management as they take decision that affect staff without consulting them.
My brother and other staff are suffering. He is the one taking care of me and my education. This past nine months have not been easy for us. He even said that if things continues like this I might have to take time off my education until condition improves. ThIs necessitated this write up as I don’t want to loose time in my education
I implore the federal government and especially EFCC to come and look at the activities of these management and council to help unravel what is going on in FUPRE. This is a time bomb ticking slowly and it might soon explode just like federal ministry of finance and others like it. The federal government should act fast not after the system collapsed, then it will too late. To be forewarned is to be forearmed.
Re: Massive Mismanagement At Federal University Of Petroleum Resources (FUPRE) by silasgenius(m): 10:31pm On Jul 21, 2016
Enyin1:
I have been a regular vistor of nairaland and really enjoy the way you handle topical issues. I created this account to let everyone to be aware of what is happening at FUPRE and wish those concern will act fast to save the situation. Please moderator kindly act fast on this issue if possible help move it to the front page. Thanks
The Federal University of Petroleum Resources (FUPRE) is in a big problem. The new management installed on May 4th 2015 has within one year grounded the university. Presently staff salary are not paid as at when due despite the fact that the salary has been cut to the tune of 21.5% across board. Even there is no money for overhead expenses. No money to buy drugs at the university"s health centre. Close to a month now the university’s generators has not been powered due to lack of diesel. There is also no money to buy even cutlass for gardeners to do their work. In an academic environment where training is very vital for staff to upgrade their knowledge, staff can no longer afford the luxury of training as no money anywhere to sponsor such important training. It's so pathetic.Even waste is now being disposed by the university’s Hilux van and junior staff are used to pack the waste instead of the waste disposing company. This is because the university is owing the company and they have stop coming to pick the waste.
At the end of evey month when it is time to pay salary staff will be in a dilemma not knowing if salary is going to be paid or not and when it will be paid if they eventually decided to paid. Despite the fact that president Buhari has given an order that salary must be paid on or before 25th of every month. As am writing now my brother told me that they are yet to pay June salary because according to management there was short fall in the emolument from Abuja and that management is still tinkering with the idea of cutting another 9% from staff salary this month. Of course as I was writing this article, the salary was paid without staff knowing exactly how much was cut from their June salary.
According to my brother the problem started when the current council members were inaugurated sometimes in 2013. According to sources they were mandated to employ 250 staff as the institution lacked adequate staff. Instead of that they went ahead and employed over 500 staff without consideration given on how their salary will be paid. In fact the council members took advantage of the fact that the former VC prof Efiotor was sick and away to employ every dick and harry. Many that was employed never applied for the job in the first place whereas those that applied and passed interview were not taken. Even some positions that were not advertised was filled with staff. This happened early 2014 and since then management has been grappling with payment of salary.
The new VC prof Akii Ibadode came to the institution with the aim to finally destroy it. As soon as he assumed duty he employed about 70 staff without advertisement nor interviews. Most of this staff are senior level staff, mostly directors and senior lecturers whose salary can pay five to ten staff in level seven. He further went ahead to employ his wife as principal registrar with an official vehicle and a staff driver. There are two deputy registrar in the university who are senior to the VC’s wife but with no official vehicle for them. He equally created a research unit where he fixed his son and other five close family relative who recently finished NYSC in the university claiming that they are doing tetfund research and that they are on 50000 thousand naira salary monthly. Every other month he employed one, two or three staff in addition to the over seventy he employed at a go.
Prior to this problem salary were paid on or before 23rd of every month. My brother was able to cater for his family needs and my education comfortably. In fact the university was so buoyant that when the council resumed in 2013 they paid staff 13th month salary for the first time. Since then nobody knows what went wrong. It is so bad that they could not pay 13th month salary in 2014 and 2015 and some other allowances.
The university is so broke now that they are owning so many organisation. Now they cannot by diesel from any filling station around. Conoil, DPR, NNPC and many other filling station around have refused to sell product to FUPRE because they are owing them huge amount of money. Despite the cut in salary the money coming from Abuja is still not enough to pay salary and they have resulting to borrowing money from banks. At a time bank refused to lend money to them again. They resorted to borrowing from staff cooperative society. They have nearly killed the cooperative society to the point that staff cannot even access loan from the cooperative anymore.
To make matters worse the three major union ASUU SSANU and NASU in the university have become docile as they have all come together to form a forum known as Joint Action Congress (JAC) with just a leader. The JAC leadership takes all the decision without any dissenting voice and management is riding on this wing to further impoverish staff. Staff opinions are inconsequential to management as they take decision that affect staff without consulting them.
My brother and other staff are suffering. He is the one taking care of me and my education. This past nine months have not been easy for us. He even said that if things continues like this I might have to take time off my education until condition improves. ThIs necessitated this write up as I don’t want to loose time in my education
I implore the federal government and especially EFCC to come and look at the activities of these management and council to help unravel what is going on in FUPRE. This is a time bomb ticking slowly and it might soon explode just like federal ministry of finance and others like it. The federal government should act fast not after the system collapsed, then it will too late. To be forewarned is to be forearmed.
With the present situation in FUPRE, what should be the way forward? I think that the Federal government should come and salvage the situation because FUPRE is a specialized institution. I also think that if nothing is done, it may get out of hand and it may not favour the present management of this great specialized school. As you said, To be forewarned is to be forearmed!
I pray for FUPRE, IT SHALL BE WELL WITH YOU. AMEN!!!
Re: Massive Mismanagement At Federal University Of Petroleum Resources (FUPRE) by jephthar(m): 1:58am On Sep 08, 2017
nice post

(1) (Reply)

FEC Approves The Scrapping Of HND Certificate / Unbelievable:- Girl Grows Four Times Slower / Lagos State Change Of Midterm Break

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 63
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.