Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,152,101 members, 7,814,869 topics. Date: Wednesday, 01 May 2024 at 09:25 PM

What Career To Pick If You’re An Introvert - Jobs/Vacancies - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Jobs/Vacancies / What Career To Pick If You’re An Introvert (1443 Views)

5 Careers/jobs To Avoid As An Introvert / How To Improve Your Hireablity, Even If You’re Underqualified / These 10 Things On Your CV COULD Be The Reason You’re Not Getting Hired (2) (3) (4)

(1) (Reply) (Go Down)

What Career To Pick If You’re An Introvert by KillerBeauty(f): 8:09pm On Jul 15, 2016
What Career to Pick if You’re an Introvert

Introverts commonly, but incorrectly, are labeled as those who don’t like people. Quite the contrary. Introverts can be shy or reticent, especially in public situations, but they tend to interact with others in a way that capitalizes on their energy.

It’s true, introverts enjoy being alone. That’s when they tend to do their best thinking according to Psychology Today. However, they can be great leaders; especially when working with self-starters. Introverts are good at calming tense or combative interactions because they don’t engage or antagonize a person with inflamed emotions. Cooler heads can prevail.

Given that introverts derive their energy from being alone, listen more than they speak, and tend not to speak up in group or public settings; determining which career paths most suit an introverted personality can be helpful.

Career Fields Best Suited for Introverts

1. Writing

There are many avenues to pursue a career as a writer. You can work for yourself, as a freelance writer, or handle the copy production for a large company. Writing takes on many aspects from copywriters or persuasion for marketing and advertising to informational or instructional. Writers develop curriculum for educational programs. They create the content you interact with online and through social media. Writers are useful in a vast array of industries.

Today, writers can produce great content by themselves in a quiet apartment or as part of a team – exchanging ideas. Introverts can really control the amount of human contact they receive with a career producing the written word.

2. Computer Programming

This is career that requires a certain amount of creativity and innovation, but not a ton of superficial human contact. Programmers can also exists successfully on their own in a freelance or contract basis as well as a part of a team in a larger corporation. Much of programming while involved in team environments must be done individually.

Programming is such an objective career field, a solution either works or it doesn’t, that introverts can focus on the aspects of their career and steer clear of too much superfluous conversation if they like.

3. Science or Researcher

Careers in these fields requires a significant amount of time dedicated to dealing with objective, fact based analysis. These careers are heavily dependent on dealing with areas that can be measured and engaged in with less emotion. These aren’t positions where anyone will be left alone entirely. However, the interaction in large groups tends to be minimized which is something an introvert will likely appreciate.

4. Self-Employment

Introverts that are self-started and have a particular skill set that lends itself for self employment, contract, or freelance work can thrive in the solitude. Working for clients can require limited and focused contact. Those with skills such as graphics arts, editing, or even project management may find that hiring themselves out suits their interaction preferences while providing a comfortable income and more control over career choices.

Conclusion

While it’s challenging to list particular jobs that work well for different personality types because the job’s skill requirements are an important factor, developing the skills to advance in your career are essential regardless of your personality type. There are no perfect positions. Introverts and extroverts alike must find a way to adjust so they can thrive in their chosen career field.

Author: Dave Landry Jr

1 Like 1 Share

Re: What Career To Pick If You’re An Introvert by segebobo: 8:28pm On Jul 15, 2016
Sales rep will be a frustrating job to introverts
*my opinion

1 Like

Re: What Career To Pick If You’re An Introvert by Nobody: 8:55pm On Jul 15, 2016
Good article, I think introverts fit every other place except for jobs where they may have extended Stay at public places/social gatherings. Many employers especially the inexperienced ones fail to understand both personality(introverts and extroverts) have got pros and cons. Introverts are regarded as cold and unsociable that's some lie. They only prefer to have most of their time alone- this time for brain storming and critical thinking. They take their time to listen, assimilate, process information before letting it out. Extroverts yea, can understand but most times lack the indepth processing thus they may be quick to make judgements and in most cases cannot challenge the conventional.
I was part of a recruitment event sometime and yes, here we have the hiring managers nodding heads at presentations being made. I could tell 80 percent of the guys there were extroverts. They were good speakers. I had to ask myself " is being a speaker same as being a doer". I guess No. Extroverts can always put up an act most times. They are good at speaking and sales job. I will advise any company looking to challenge convention with interest in attention to detail and critical thinking to always know when to differentiate an introvert from an extro. It's sad that only a few recruiters in Nigeria understand this.

2 Likes 1 Share

Re: What Career To Pick If You’re An Introvert by KillerBeauty(f): 9:44pm On Jul 15, 2016
segebobo:
Sales rep will be a frustrating job to introverts
*my opinion
True
Re: What Career To Pick If You’re An Introvert by Jinora: 7:31pm On Jul 27, 2016
am an introvert but I think I would prefer a career that will male me come out of my shell
Re: What Career To Pick If You’re An Introvert by tr3y(m): 11:08pm On Jul 27, 2016
majekdom2:
Good article, I think introverts fit every other place except for jobs where they may have extended Stay at public places/social gatherings. Many employers especially the inexperienced ones fail to understand both personality(introverts and extroverts) have got pros and cons. Introverts are regarded as cold and unsociable that's some lie. They only prefer to have most of their time alone- this time for brain storming and critical thinking. They take their time to listen, assimilate, process information before letting it out. An extrovert yea, can understand but most times lack the indepth processing thus they may be quick to make judgements and in most cases cannot challenge the conventional.
I was part of a recruitment event sometime and yes, here we have the hiring managers nodding heads at presentations being made. I could tell 80 percent of the guys there were extroverts. They were good speakers. I had to ask myself " is being a speaker same as being a doer". I guess No. Extroverts can always put up an act most times. They are good at speaking and sales job. I will advise any company looking to challenge convention with interest in attention to detail and critical thinking to always know when to differentiate an introvert from an extro. It's sad that only a few recruiters in Nigeria understand this.
Exactly, you are really experienced.
Most people have this misplaced belief that an introvert is a shy person that hardly talks with low intelligence and negative stuffs like that.
It is simply feeding off your own energy as oppose to feeding on other peoples energy.
I'm more of an ambivert though.

1 Like

(1) (Reply)

How Commercial Banks Increase Unemployment In Nigeria / Nigeria Marine/merchant Navy : A Legal Or An Illegal Body ? / Latest Vacancies At CITADEL ACADEMY, Ilorin..

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 24
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.