Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,152,630 members, 7,816,593 topics. Date: Friday, 03 May 2024 at 01:39 PM

Real Hiphop; No Prefixes No Suffixes - Music/Radio - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Entertainment / Music/Radio / Real Hiphop; No Prefixes No Suffixes (811 Views)

Fingers Crossed: Most Anticipated Hiphop Albums Of 2010. / Nigerian "hiphop" Music Scence Is Just As Over Hyped As "nollywood" / HipHop Beef: Most Intresting Beef Ever (2) (3) (4)

(1) (Reply) (Go Down)

Real Hiphop; No Prefixes No Suffixes by gab2(m): 12:34am On Sep 13, 2009
Thought i should start a thread for my real heads on Nairaland. A lot of people listen to this bubble gum rap on ringtone sounding beats and think they know

what rap is, personally, i hold the opinion that hiphop/rap lovers should have a fundamental knowledge of the genre, i mean, on TV, musicians such as D'banj and Timaya

are often classified as HipHop artistes! What have you been listening to if you have'nt heard Krs; the blueprint, Rakim and Eric b;follow the leader, LL cool J; mama said

knock you out, Gangstarr;daily operation, guru;Jazzmatazz, Group home;living proof, Big L, The Roots, Common, Pete Rock and CL Smooth, Mos Def, Talib Kweli, Rob O, Grap

luva, Souls of Mischief, Cella Dwellas, Non Phixion, Big Daddy Kane
, etc. the list is too long, on this side of the continent we have Proverb, K'naan, Mode 9, str8buttah,

Thoroughbreds, Capital O, Khali, SoulJazz
, etc. i recently heard a joint from Alibai produced by Paul Play,TYTE! African HipHop is on the rise

http://www.africanhiphop.com/africanhiphopdownloads/africanhiphop-mixtape-the-sequel-2009

For years me and several of my friends have been compiling a Rap music library/database worth about 6.7 terabytes in memory, of classic albums, rare singles and

underground rappers that have been slept on. If there's one thing i know, it's ''once you go rap you can't go back''

Hit me up lets dialogue, network and share tracks. PEACE.

''The history of my hiphop is too deep to be dissected''
Re: Real Hiphop; No Prefixes No Suffixes by bouzymill(m): 9:33pm On Sep 13, 2009
g.a.b:

Thought i should start a thread for my real heads on Nairaland. A lot of people listen to this bubble gum rap on ringtone sounding beats and think they know

what rap is, personally, i hold the opinion that hiphop/rap lovers should have a fundamental knowledge of the genre, i mean, on TV, musicians such as D'banj and Timaya

are often classified as HipHop artistes! What have you been listening to if you have'nt heard Krs; the blueprint, Rakim and Eric b;follow the leader, LL cool J; mama said

knock you out, [b]Gangstarr;daily operation, guru;Jazzmatazz, Group home;living proof, Big L, The Roots, Common, Pete Rock and CL Smooth, Mos Def, Talib Kweli, Rob O,
Grap

luva, Souls of Mischief, Cella Dwellas, Non Phixion, Big Daddy Kane[/b], etc. the list is too long, on this side of the continent we have Proverb, K'naan, Mode 9, str8buttah,

Thoroughbreds, Capital O, Khali, SoulJazz
, etc. i recently heard a joint from Alibai produced by Paul Play,TYTE! African HipHop is on the rise

http://www.africanhiphop.com/africanhiphopdownloads/africanhiphop-mixtape-the-sequel-2009

For years me and several of my friends have been compiling a Rap music library/database worth about 6.7 terabytes in memory, of classic albums, rare singles and

underground rappers that have been slept on. If there's one thing i know, it's ''once you go rap you can't go back''

Hit me up lets dialogue, network and share tracks. PEACE.

wow wow wow wow!!!! just when i thought Naija knew nothing about real hip hop. I won't front, i dont have up to 40 gig sincerely but av got rare albums which are worth it,

Heard Alabai and i can bring out my favs i nthe album. track 2 aint bad, after the pseudonyms skit, from the reaggeton down to End of \story, that was straight Dope. it was like listening to Scarface in his getoboys days. Alabai didn't surprise me anywayz, who actually surprised me was PaulPlay who did justice to them beats for the aforementioned tracks. I have to admit that paul play must be a real head, to make beats like that.

Yeah!!! Africans are not doing bad at all. People like Zubs, HHP, Proverb, ProKid, DA L.E.S, capital O is optical illusion, XOD, Skwatta Kamp are tearing south Africa. Moe9, OD, Str8 Buttah, Kaliphate, M.I,i guess , and some underground Cats are doign us proud. But when it comes to the Realness and and the HipHop stance and culture, South Africa beats Naija to it.

About HipHop being used for Timaya and Dbanj; what you could see is that some people listen to music without the knowledge of it. Most don't know the differences in the genres, so everything banging is hiphop. Ignorance of listeners is better, what would you say to Artist who doesnt know the genre is doing?Am sre Timaya doesn't know he aint doing reaggeton, cos there's no placei n the ideology or reagge for artists to brag about materialism, but mostof em just get to music str8 from their boombox without checking the history. there are lots of em like that, but what do we do, we dig for what's good and cop,

Am also in love with rock, Soul, Neo Soul and anything good music. ready to share files. Waiting for Real Heads to jump on this forum. I won't be surprise to see Rotheads pollute this forum or see this forum go nowhere just cos we not talking abot p square's new track or Dbanj and all of em,
Re: Real Hiphop; No Prefixes No Suffixes by gab2(m): 11:46pm On Sep 13, 2009
@ Bouzymill; don't worry about the ''unbaptized'' we'll just ignore em'. Listening to ''orinthology'' by Charlie parker and Miles davis, some Jazz to stimulate my

mental. you mentioned soul earlier, remember Erikah Badu's baduism? Angie stone's Mahogany soul? If freestyles are your thing then you need to check out

Juice and supernat's, Jin versus Verse, that chinky eyed dude eats emcees for breakfast! Did ya'll know prodigy did the ''shook ones'' beat? hola
Re: Real Hiphop; No Prefixes No Suffixes by malcolmx: 11:58am On Sep 14, 2009
"I emerged from the Mr. lyricist with an urge to start a movement so let the real heads converge, "-Mode9

Yeah man, hiphop lives. even though the music has been grossly twisted by the Nigerian media, the real heads are workin hard to move up the genre. On my own part, i'm keepin the culture alive with my blog realhiphopng..com

Props to all the emcees keepin it ill >>> Mode9, Str8 Buttah, Blaise, M.I, illbliss e.t.c
More props to the radio hosts/O.A.Ps  who've kept the art alive >>>> JAJ da Mecca Don, Mike Magic, Eldee XL, HNIC Dr. Gee, Chucks da Spaceman, Andre Blaze, Elvis da Chiefrocka e.t.c
Props too to the beat makers and Djs >>>> G-Lynx, Jo-Kaynie, ID Cabasa, DJ Humility, Kraft, Mr. Ish, Jonah de Monarch, Mr. Books, Frenzy, Kokomiko e.t.c
Re: Real Hiphop; No Prefixes No Suffixes by bouzymill(m): 6:52pm On Sep 14, 2009
malcolmx:

"I emerged from the Mr. lyricist with an urge to start a movement so let the real heads converge, "-Mode9

Yeah man, hiphop lives. even though the music has been grossly twisted by the Nigerian media, the real heads are workin hard to move up the genre. On my own part, i'm keepin the culture alive with my blog realhiphopng..com

Props to all the emcees keepin it ill >>> Mode9, Str8 Buttah, Blaise, M.I, illbliss e.t.c
More props to the radio hosts/O.A.Ps who've kept the art alive >>>> JAJ da Mecca Don, Mike Magic, Eldee XL, HNIC Dr. Gee, Chucks da Spaceman, Andre Blaze, Elvis da Chiefrocka e.t.c
Props too to the beat makers and Djs >>>> G-Lynx, Jo-Kaynie, ID Cabasa, DJ Humility, Kraft, Mr. Ish, Jonah de Monarch, Mr. Books, Frenzy, Kokomiko e.t.c

nice lookin bruv, welcome on board

g.a.b:

@ Bouzymill; don't worry about the ''unbaptized'' we'll just ignore em'. Listening to ''orinthology'' by Charlie parker and Miles davis, some Jazz to stimulate my

mental. you mentioned soul earlier, remember Erikah Badu's baduism? Angie stone's Mahogany soul? If freestyles are your thing then you need to check out

Juice and supernat's, Jin versus Verse, that chinky eyed dude eats emcees for breakfast! Did ya'll know prodigy did the ''shook ones'' beat? hola

Baduizm is a classic, she released an album afterwards but not really impressive. Angie Stone, ofcourse, Stone Love is my deal, Jill Scott, Musiq SoulChild (but goin bla bla these days), Raheem Devaughn, Bilal (D joint he did with Scarface on emeritus 'Cant Get Right' is a big revival for him), Keziah Jones (My nigger bruva). Like freestyles but i love when it's been worked on and you know that make your rhymes heavy with words, not light stuff, but for fun, i dig it, i watch BET's Freestyle Fridays, but not really a fan. JUice, Supernat, don't know these guys
Re: Real Hiphop; No Prefixes No Suffixes by Scofield007(m): 3:24am On Sep 16, 2009
Oh God!!! I'm smelling you guys. Phew! I thought we were done for when back in 07 i saw kolomental won the award for best hiphop and gongo aso this year clinched the same award category at mamas. I took it solely upon myself and my non- understanding, fans of jargons friends laughed at me. Had i been at the award, i'd done a kanye. I must confess i started having hope in Naija music after the likes mode, MI, blaise etc came aboard. I hope we continue to encourage these heads so they fizzle out. I wonder where thoroughbreds are now. I can only find ill'blis.
Re: Real Hiphop; No Prefixes No Suffixes by bouzymill(m): 7:36pm On Sep 16, 2009
Scofield007:

Oh God!!! I'm smelling you guys. Phew! I thought we were done for when back in 07 i saw kolomental won the award for best hiphop and gongo aso this year clinched the same award category at mamas. I took it solely upon myself and my non- understanding, fans of jargons friends laughed at me. Had i been at the award, i'd done a kanye. I must confess i started having hope in Naija music after the likes mode, MI, blaise etc came aboard. I hope we continue to encourage these heads so they fizzle out. I wonder where thoroughbreds are now. I can only find ill'blis.

ThoroughBreds are not that intact. Obiwon now does R & B, IllBliss still very much here, B Elect, Still Around (Heard one new joint Back or sumthing like that, Amaka, she still dey, Elajoe, still dey. What they need is a reunion.
Re: Real Hiphop; No Prefixes No Suffixes by Scofield007(m): 8:13am On Sep 17, 2009
Thanx bouz, the place i'm in right now doesn't help. The radio stations here are bullsht so the only place i get to get updates is dstv and you know if they dont have the video out yet then you cant see it. I think the breds need to come together once more, that streethop joint was hot. The top solo hiphop heads should come up wit more collabos.
Re: Real Hiphop; No Prefixes No Suffixes by gab2(m): 4:42pm On Sep 17, 2009
@ scofield,my only problem with all em mode9 and the rest that've made it, is that, they arent doing much to promote up and coming artistes in the same genre.i know thousands of emcees that could use a little publicity push from this guys,be it through shows,features,or even street mixtapes that they'l headline.its stil all good though.

If u guys are fiending for some hot african hiphop just check out africanhiphop.com,i met loads of incredible emcees and producers there,with plenty cross country collabos btw nigeria/zimbabwe/south africa/etc.

am currently feeding fat on skyzoo's 'cloud 9-the three day high' album,a must for any 9th wonder fan.
Re: Real Hiphop; No Prefixes No Suffixes by gab2(m): 11:24pm On Sep 17, 2009
@bouzymill,word is bond.mhp is a member of Souljazz,its been a real struggle from day one because of how under appreciated real hiphop is.We still trudge on for the love though.

If you can also lay ur paws on "click" by skyzoo ft torae(prod by dj premier),matter of fact,i'l send u em' tracks by mail.

Bout the beats:soul is where i dwell.once i get em' i'l send the finished work in a few days.won't also mind a collab.

Try using a high speed cybercafe to download and upload,dialup only slows ish down.one
Re: Real Hiphop; No Prefixes No Suffixes by phatboisly(m): 2:39am On Sep 18, 2009
basically the problem we've got with appreciatin hip hop in nigeria is two fold
firstly we basically don't understand what hip hop means and therefore we can't really relate to it,why would you listen to KRS 1 or Rakim rappin bout stuff you don't understand when there's enough bubblegum rap and pseudo hip hop you understand and therefore can relate to?
secondly it's the weak hip hoppers we've got,with the exception of a few rappers esspecially raprers of SWAT ROOT,Def O clan and Loopy extraction the rappers in nigeria are mediocre.some of them can't even count bars,all they do is rap bout moey,bling bling,girls,alcohol and parties.really they shoulda been thugs.
but on the bright side,we've got a few great rappers.top of the list would be node9 aka Nigel Benn aka Fidel Mad Flow aka IX aka modo aka etc.M.I.'s ot half bad,The OverDose is equally ill,Terry the Rapman,Pherowshuz,Jesse Jags,Illbliss etc are keepin it live.
so all in all nigerian hip hop is good,just needs to grow.
Re: Real Hiphop; No Prefixes No Suffixes by bouzymill(m): 10:55pm On Sep 18, 2009
g.a.b:

@bouzymill,word is bond.mhp is a member of Souljazz,its been a real struggle from day one because of how under appreciated real hiphop is.We still trudge on for the love though.

If you can also lay your paws on "click" by skyzoo ft torae(prod by dj premier),matter of fact,i'l send u em' tracks by mail.

Bout the beats:soul is where i dwell.once i get em' i'l send the finished work in a few days.won't also mind a collab.

Try using a high speed cybercafe to download and upload,dialup only slows ish down.one

@G.A.B
Yeah!!! i have the skyzoo ft torae track. Got it from a compilation i downloaed from hiphopkillerz website. Mehn, You just too onpoint. DOnt mind sending through mail, Yeah! i'll search for a good cafe with nice bandwith for download.

Yeah!! about the soulbeats, I got you and shit's about to drop, send three on suday. upstraight.

phatboisly:

basically the problem we've got with appreciatin hip hop in nigeria is two fold
firstly we basically don't understand what hip hop means and therefore we can't really relate to it,why would you listen to KRS 1 or Rakim rappin bout stuff you don't understand when there's enough bubblegum rap and pseudo hip hop you understand and therefore can relate to?
secondly it's the weak hip hoppers we've got,with the exception of a few rappers esspecially raprers of SWAT ROOT,Def O clan and Loopy extraction the rappers in nigeria are mediocre.some of them can't even count bars,all they do is rap bout moey,bling bling,girls,alcohol and parties.really they shoulda been thugs.
but on the bright side,we've got a few great rappers.top of the list would be node9 aka Nigel Benn aka Fidel Mad Flow aka IX aka modo aka etc.M.I.'s ot half bad,The OverDose is equally ill,Terry the Rapman,Pherowshuz,Jesse Jags,Illbliss etc are keepin it live.
so all in all nigerian hip hop is good,just needs to grow.

yeah!! you're right, but i beg to differ, sum Nigerian's dont use their 6th sense that's why hiphop sounds alien to them. Alabai did a track called Voice of God and what they said was it was blasphemy, you can feel the myopic stance.

These rappers you've listed are dope but to me contaminated already with the fame. So, we need the real mcs to come save the game. am talking the Str8 Buttah (NIgerian Wutang), SoulJazz (Nigerian Brand NUbians., lol) and the whole underground lords, you know. T|hose are the real kings. Peace to Modenine but the Hero hasn't come.
Re: Real Hiphop; No Prefixes No Suffixes by Scofield007(m): 1:51am On Sep 19, 2009
The problem wit african especially nigeria hiphoppers or rather rappers, is that they had a late start to this thing and they got influenced by wrong pple like rickross, 50, wayne etc, forgettin that these guys are really rich not that they just talk about them. Heard someone talk about OD, dont know if the guy has a new one out but the last ones i heard from that guy sounded too basic and elementary. I cant wait for these pple to one day grow up and start to do something nice.
Re: Real Hiphop; No Prefixes No Suffixes by gab2(m): 7:39pm On Sep 19, 2009
@bouzymill, please send to Akpabiogabriel@yahoo.com, coud'nt find my password for the previous email. am expecting em'beats. peace bro

(1) (Reply)

Learn Production,mixing And Mastering @ Phat Wall Studios / Nu Kid On Da Block "mathew Sam" / Dbanj Drops Brand New Single- Scape Goat

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 57
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.