Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,158,465 members, 7,836,836 topics. Date: Wednesday, 22 May 2024 at 01:22 PM

13 Most Abused English Words Used By Nigerians - Education (2) - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Education / 13 Most Abused English Words Used By Nigerians (41105 Views)

9 English Words You Might Be Pronouncing Incorrectly / Photos That Describe Words Used By Nigerians Only / 7 English Words Nigerians Use Everyday Which Don't Exist. (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) (4) (Reply) (Go Down)

Re: 13 Most Abused English Words Used By Nigerians by Mrjosaphat: 5:20am On Jul 17, 2016
aboyaji:

As in Eh. The thing tire me o
U are still saying AS IN? Bros u need jesus
Re: 13 Most Abused English Words Used By Nigerians by Nobody: 6:11am On Jul 17, 2016
honeydear:
cool
hello
Re: 13 Most Abused English Words Used By Nigerians by Nobody: 6:57am On Jul 17, 2016
aboyaji:

As in, here be banana island
tongue
Re: 13 Most Abused English Words Used By Nigerians by ascholani09(m): 7:00am On Jul 17, 2016
If not hear say dem say
Also an English word
Re: 13 Most Abused English Words Used By Nigerians by cornel994(m): 7:05am On Jul 17, 2016
..u tink diz is budillion
Re: 13 Most Abused English Words Used By Nigerians by rahman3853(m): 7:14am On Jul 17, 2016
aboyaji:

I think this post actually Passed the message it was meant for. Basically, It gives you an insight into the new trend of Nigerian use of English.

in a nutshell, I've gotten a man for you. Let me literally go get a mat for you too.
technically...i cant believe what i read, as in...like really, u murdered all what he just said literally. In a nutshell, we nigerians are just too good
Re: 13 Most Abused English Words Used By Nigerians by Eeser: 7:17am On Jul 17, 2016
Honeydear. Say something jawe
Re: 13 Most Abused English Words Used By Nigerians by dumie(f): 7:25am On Jul 17, 2016
The word "Sorry"

1 Like

Re: 13 Most Abused English Words Used By Nigerians by llaykorn: 7:27am On Jul 17, 2016
aboyaji:
4.Literally:One of the most abused word. Literally, which originally meant “in a literal or strict sense,” is so overused that it now has an informal second meaning, ‘figuratively’. Nigerians seem to use it in all their statements whether it fits or not, abusing it all the time.

Pheew! This is not particular to Nigeria. I once watched a documentary from Merriam-Webster on words that have seemed to change meaning to the opposite over time. 'Literally' is one of them.
Re: 13 Most Abused English Words Used By Nigerians by Lolaabokoku(f): 7:27am On Jul 17, 2016
Despite †ђξ fact, Its α kind of... Really?
Re: 13 Most Abused English Words Used By Nigerians by latinoKingdom(m): 7:28am On Jul 17, 2016
AfricanApple:
its good to have pointed out these mistakes but its equally wrong for you not to give examples of how they can be used... as in duhhh...
hope your apple is still edible?
Re: 13 Most Abused English Words Used By Nigerians by Cherishing(f): 7:36am On Jul 17, 2016
U forgot fantastically and entirely got it right
Re: 13 Most Abused English Words Used By Nigerians by Bennybabe(f): 7:42am On Jul 17, 2016
aboyaji:
it's in you. You have grade 1 in using them grin

FRANKLY speaking, it's in him
Re: 13 Most Abused English Words Used By Nigerians by xprezboy: 7:44am On Jul 17, 2016
BH HAS BEEN TECHNICALLY DEFEATED. LIARMHMD.
Re: 13 Most Abused English Words Used By Nigerians by kcowen(m): 7:54am On Jul 17, 2016
You forgot this ASSUMING!!
Re: 13 Most Abused English Words Used By Nigerians by AfricanApple(f): 7:56am On Jul 17, 2016
latinoKingdom:
hope your apple is still edible?
depends... it could be poisonous
Re: 13 Most Abused English Words Used By Nigerians by Salym(m): 7:58am On Jul 17, 2016
Call it customised Nigerian English. We dont have to speak English like a Londoner or a New Yorker. I speak like a Nigerian with my own distinct version of English.
Re: 13 Most Abused English Words Used By Nigerians by ol2012: 8:00am On Jul 17, 2016
was expecting to see "even though" in the list
Re: 13 Most Abused English Words Used By Nigerians by athorello(m): 8:01am On Jul 17, 2016
I believe Nigerians write differently than they speak (GRE, Toelf, IELTS, etc)... I don't mean "online chats" though. We used to have these series of technical presentations in my former place and they were all replete with all the Op stated.
A white coach even pointed to one of my colleagues that Nigerians like using words though she had more vocabulary in my observation. Anyway, her point was in line with the Op and we even call ourselves by the one each person uses most.
For me "actually", 2 "basically", 2 "as in". Op literally missed this my bombastic friend, "...what?"... As in "...is when you what...", "...and by doing that I'm trying to what..."
You also missed one senior colleague who I met, "what's called". As in "...that is when you want to move into what's called..."
tongue

1 Like

Re: 13 Most Abused English Words Used By Nigerians by naijafox(m): 8:03am On Jul 17, 2016
Anytime a person start a sentence with *actually * just know they want to lie, for example
Jennifer - u collected my number and u haven't called all this while ,why?
Tunde - actually, ----------------+--++++++-++++++++
Re: 13 Most Abused English Words Used By Nigerians by BizBloke(m): 8:04am On Jul 17, 2016
aboyaji:
10. As usual: This means something that usually happens. However, some Nigerians overuse this word, even in the wrong context. They use it even when they are talking about something that’s not usual.

Hahahaha. "I'll be silly as usual": this had me in stitches. cheesy cheesy
Re: 13 Most Abused English Words Used By Nigerians by shurlar50(m): 8:09am On Jul 17, 2016
Another one is the abuse of 'You see'. Its mostly used in a repetitive manner. Its common among elderly people trying to explain their point or Lecturers.
Re: 13 Most Abused English Words Used By Nigerians by Nobody: 8:15am On Jul 17, 2016
aboyaji:
3.I was like: Someone is telling a story and the next thing you hear is ‘I was like’, which means, ‘I said’. Apparently, ‘I was like’ makes the discussion more exciting and enjoyable than just saying, ‘I said.’

'I was like' is used to explain an intending action e.g i was like, dude are you serious?

Or to explain an expression e.g i was like shocked when i heard the news.

#JustMy2Cents
Re: 13 Most Abused English Words Used By Nigerians by samzzycash(m): 8:18am On Jul 17, 2016
eitsei:
IN A NUTSHELL you are saying Nigerians are ACTUALLY abusing the English language. FRANKLY speaking we don't care as long as the other person we are talking to understands us, AS IN English is not our mother tongue.
BASICALLY, we should have mastered this but LITERALLY we are abusers of the language LIKE SERIOUSLY what do you suggest we do to stop this? grin
give this man a medal

1 Like 1 Share

Re: 13 Most Abused English Words Used By Nigerians by TheSociopath(m): 8:20am On Jul 17, 2016
Nigerians, we are a unique people.
Re: 13 Most Abused English Words Used By Nigerians by Nobody: 8:23am On Jul 17, 2016
tosyne2much:
Nice write-up bro, lemme add mine cool

14. Kitty-Cat:

This original word for this is "pussy cat which refers to a cat but has been transformed by Nigerians to the word "kitty-cat". This word is often used by Nigerian youths basically to refer to what a lady has got under her legs Instead of the word "I want to love make to my girlfriend", our so called leaders of tomorrow now use the word "I want to bleep my girlfriend's kitty-cat" as a synonym.

Can you just imagine the quality of future leaders we are breeding ?

Between her legs sir or thighs as the case may be.
Re: 13 Most Abused English Words Used By Nigerians by musicwriter(m): 8:25am On Jul 17, 2016
aboyaji:
The next time you want to use these words in a sentence, you should know the meaning and ask yourself if it fits.

How many of these words are you guilty of?

Lalasticlala, Oga tosyne2much, naijabuoy, etc. Which are you guilty of?

A language grows as more and more people speak it. That's why you have American English, Australian English, e.t.c. English language itself is an abused French, Spanish, German, Latin. The abuse of other languages is how English itself became a language.

Like American and Australian English, those are Nigerian creation and Nigerians perfectly understand what they mean when they use them.

You just said Nigeria have over 517 languages or so. I would like to know what have been your effort to help develop them as you do English.

What have been your contribution to the literal development of Yoruba?

Where are your research papers on Nigerian languages? Hausa, Yoruba, Igbo, Fulani, Efik, Ibibio, Igala, Idoma, Nupe, Bini, Kanuri, Eshan, Tiv, Ijaw, Ishekiri, e.t.c, e.t.c.

While I await your answer, you can familiarize yourself with facts about the history and evolution of English.

The origin of English language. Everybody should see these videos, its under 20 minutes, all.

The evolution of English language.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=kIzFz9T5rhI
The origin of English language.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=YEaSxhcns7Y
The history of English language.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=njJBw2KlIEo
How languages evolve.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=iWDKsHm6gTA
Re: 13 Most Abused English Words Used By Nigerians by tosyne2much(m): 8:29am On Jul 17, 2016
Perfectdanny:

Between her legs sir or thighs as the case may be.
At least u gat what I was talking about cheesy
Re: 13 Most Abused English Words Used By Nigerians by ifyokwu(f): 8:29am On Jul 17, 2016
Like seriously, for me is d most literally used
Re: 13 Most Abused English Words Used By Nigerians by Ravenna: 9:26am On Jul 17, 2016
aboyaji:
12. Technically: This word means, ‘according to the facts or exact meaning of something, strictly’, but we just can’t stay away from it even if what we are saying is not the exact meaning.
Bokoharam is "Technically" defeated. ~Liar mohd.
Re: 13 Most Abused English Words Used By Nigerians by Ravenna: 9:31am On Jul 17, 2016
We are Nigerians! Some are Yoruba, others Jews or A.boki. As long as we understand ourselves, fhuk english. American don't speak good english too and it doesn't me em less.
Re: 13 Most Abused English Words Used By Nigerians by Nobody: 9:37am On Jul 17, 2016
naijafox:
Anytime a person start a sentence with *actually * just know they want to lie, for example
Jennifer - u collected my number and u haven't called all this while ,why?
Tunde - actually, ----------------+--++++++-++++++++
Lol
Tunde- actually, I was "kind of" busy... grin grin

1 Like

(1) (2) (3) (4) (Reply)

Akeredolu Commissions Classroom With Modern Toilet For Public School (Photos) / 4 Most Used Words By Nigerian Ladies / Electricity Pole Danger In Kaduna Polytechnic (Photos)

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 32
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.