Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,153,692 members, 7,820,415 topics. Date: Tuesday, 07 May 2024 at 02:26 PM

13 Most Abused English Words Used By Nigerians - Education (3) - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Education / 13 Most Abused English Words Used By Nigerians (41053 Views)

9 English Words You Might Be Pronouncing Incorrectly / Photos That Describe Words Used By Nigerians Only / 7 English Words Nigerians Use Everyday Which Don't Exist. (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) (4) (Reply) (Go Down)

Re: 13 Most Abused English Words Used By Nigerians by cupidhero(m): 9:54am On Jul 17, 2016
The whole world is guilty of NO 4.
Re: 13 Most Abused English Words Used By Nigerians by tosyne2much(m): 10:00am On Jul 17, 2016
musicwriter:

A language grows as more and more people speak it. That's why you have American English, Australian English, e.t.c. English language itself is an abused French, Spanish, German, Latin. The abuse of other languages is how English itself became a language.

Like American and Australian English, those are Nigerian creation and Nigerians perfectly understand what they mean when they use them.

You just said Nigeria have over 517 languages or so. I would like to know what have been your effort to help develop them as you do English.

What have been your contribution to the literal development of Yoruba?

Where are your research papers on Nigerian languages? Hausa, Yoruba, Igbo, Fulani, Efik, Ibibio, Igala, Idoma, Nupe, Bini, Kanuri, Eshan, Tiv, Ijaw, Ishekiri, e.t.c, e.t.c.

While I await your answer, you can familiarize yourself with facts about the history and evolution of English.

The origin of English language. Everybody should see these videos, its under 20 minutes, all.
You're so on point bros... What baffles me most is that, those who we adopted the language from are not as crazy about it as we are in Nigeria
Re: 13 Most Abused English Words Used By Nigerians by tosyne2much(m): 10:09am On Jul 17, 2016
Salym:
Call it customised Nigerian English. We dont have to speak English like a Londoner or a New Yorker. I speak like a Nigerian with my own distinct version of English.
Lmao cheesy cheesy
Re: 13 Most Abused English Words Used By Nigerians by Promzone(m): 10:10am On Jul 17, 2016
As in! nigerians will never seize to amaze it's basically in our blood grin
Re: 13 Most Abused English Words Used By Nigerians by abouzaid: 10:11am On Jul 17, 2016
what about FANTASTICALLY? as in, "Nigeria is fantastically corrupt under the apcregime".
Re: 13 Most Abused English Words Used By Nigerians by Nobody: 10:13am On Jul 17, 2016
tosyne2much:
At least u gat what I was talking about cheesy

Totally!!! :-D
Re: 13 Most Abused English Words Used By Nigerians by franco3075q(m): 10:51am On Jul 17, 2016
O church
Re: 13 Most Abused English Words Used By Nigerians by musicwriter(m): 10:52am On Jul 17, 2016
tosyne2much:
You're so on point bros... What baffles me most is that, those who we adopted the language from are not as crazy about it as we are in Nigeria

That's correct!.

Americans have so much abused English that they created their own language off it. So, you hear words like gotta, nope, yeah, hey, buddy, wanna, bae, selfie, e.t.c.

And that reminds me, the word ''Selfie'' appeared in the US just few years ago, but today everybody including you and I and the OP use it, because whiteman's mistake is good!!.

When we understand the damage the so called education is doing to our psyches in Africa and how it have reduced us to copy-copy imbeciles, we'll pay more attention to study of our native languages in school..

Slavery lasted 400 years!.

Colonialism lasted 50-90 in some countries.

Nobody knows how long intellectual and mental slavery would last.
Re: 13 Most Abused English Words Used By Nigerians by tosyne2much(m): 11:20am On Jul 17, 2016
musicwriter:

That's correct!.

Americans have so much abused English that they created their own language off it. So, you hear words like gotta, nope, yeah, hey, buddy, wanna, bae, selfie, e.t.c.

And that reminds me, the word ''Selfie'' appeared in the US just few years ago, but today everybody including you and I and the OP use it, because whiteman's mistake is good!!.

When we understand the damage the so called education is doing to our brains in Africa and how it have reduced us to copy-copy imbeciles, we'll pay more attention to study of our native languages in school..

Slavery lasted 400 years!.

Colonialism lasted 50-90 in some countries.

Nobody knows how long intellectual and mental slavery would last.
Brother, you're indeed a man of wisdom... I had a quarrel with a lady recently when I attacked her for ridiculing an OP for his grammatical blunders
. You need to see the way hell was lose over me

The problem we have in this country is that, though, colonialism is gone for good, but we are still backward minded in Nigeria

Look at Lionel Messi, Delima Ronaldo, Ronaldinho, Lius Figo and the likes, these people don't speak English and they don't give a damn about it since all that matters most is people's ability to comprehend their native languages.. Look at Olajumoke, the bread seller, do you know how people ridicule and mouth-thrash this lady for her inability to speak coherent English? The funniest thing is that, the acclaimed English scholars scolding her can't even boast of N50, 000 in their bank account cheesy

I won't just say I regret coming from this part of the world where almost everything is faulted

1 Like 2 Shares

Re: 13 Most Abused English Words Used By Nigerians by sylve11: 11:33am On Jul 17, 2016
@ OP, pics got me laughing. grin grin cool
Re: 13 Most Abused English Words Used By Nigerians by Grundig: 11:37am On Jul 17, 2016
I get turned off immediately when when 'am' is used in place of "I'm" or "i am".

....I now decided to....
he then brought it to me...
I now told him...

The above is a sample of phrases used by Nigerians.

Cringeworthy!
Re: 13 Most Abused English Words Used By Nigerians by musicwriter(m): 11:54am On Jul 17, 2016
tosyne2much:
Brother, you're indeed a man of wisdom... I recently had a quarrel with a lady recently when I attacked her for ridiculing someone because of his grammatical blunders

The problem we have in this country is that, though, colonialism is gone for good, but we are still backward minded

Look at Messi, Delima Ronaldo, Ronaldinho and the likes, these people don't speak English and they don't give a damn about it since what matters most people's comprehension of their native languages.. Look at Olajumoke, the bread seller, do you know how people ridicule and mouth-thrash this lady because of her inability to speak coherent English?

I won't just say I regret coming from this part of the world where almost everything is faulted

Anybody that ridicules Olagumoke for not speaking English is a fool.
English is a language forced down the throats of our ancestors against our will.

But, we're blinded by fake education and have forgotten how we came to speak English, in the first place. This brainwashing education continues to make us think anything African is inferior. Really, its the only thing still sustaining our stupidity, such that we continue to think of our languages as inferior even when the whiteman is no longer here!.

I will even appreciate it if our celebrities would start speaking and projecting our various languages everywhere they go. It could suddenly open our eyes that we had a life before we met white people.

1 Like

Re: 13 Most Abused English Words Used By Nigerians by BIGkoboko: 12:04pm On Jul 17, 2016
[color=]We all. at one time guilty of this.[/color]
Re: 13 Most Abused English Words Used By Nigerians by Slym5: 12:17pm On Jul 17, 2016
aboyaji:
7.Actually: This is one of the words in English that is ‘actually’ the most overused. Some people ‘actually’ use ‘actually’ hundreds of times while telling a story or having a discussion. The word ‘actually’ means, “as the truth or facts of a situation” or “used to emphasize that something someone has said or done is surprising”, but it is used to start almost every statement in Nigeria, whether it fits or not.

Actually ke... Mortuary ni

Ehnnnn! Ashually....
Re: 13 Most Abused English Words Used By Nigerians by nonnysamuels(m): 12:28pm On Jul 17, 2016
"And too....or and two"....then u start thinking when the person mentioned the first.
Re: 13 Most Abused English Words Used By Nigerians by latinoKingdom(m): 12:30pm On Jul 17, 2016
AfricanApple:
depends... it could be poisonous
depends on what?? I like something sweet
Re: 13 Most Abused English Words Used By Nigerians by ErasmusCOMP: 12:59pm On Jul 17, 2016
Starting a story with the word 'so'......
So, he took us to this nice eatery shaaa
Re: 13 Most Abused English Words Used By Nigerians by tk4rd: 1:01pm On Jul 17, 2016
aboyaji:
6.You know: Some people cannot talk for a minute without saying ‘you know’. You know, I just bought a car, you know this and that. They keep saying you know, even though you don’t know.
Gavnọr Obianọ should "you know", he should see this very one.
Re: 13 Most Abused English Words Used By Nigerians by Kruzilano(m): 1:11pm On Jul 17, 2016
suzan404:
make I quickly buy landcheesy

This land is not for saleundecided cheesy
land wey u never pay omo onile . Na I'm u dey put notce say "its not for sale". Pay ur due jare.
Re: 13 Most Abused English Words Used By Nigerians by Oshare57: 1:18pm On Jul 17, 2016
[quote author=aboyaji post=47617661] it's in you. You have grade 1 in using them grin[/quote
Yes oo. Those English majors in the house, I mean the grammarians!
Re: 13 Most Abused English Words Used By Nigerians by Xtowilson(m): 1:59pm On Jul 17, 2016
Oh boy make you come dey go
Re: 13 Most Abused English Words Used By Nigerians by Nobody: 2:09pm On Jul 17, 2016
Kruzilano:
land wey u never pay omo onile . Na I'm u dey put notce say "its not for sale". Pay ur due jare.
how much you wan collectundecidedcheesy
Re: 13 Most Abused English Words Used By Nigerians by Kruzilano(m): 2:18pm On Jul 17, 2016
suzan404:
how much you wan collectundecidedcheesy
person dey price am 7million. Buh as per say u na my fellow NLander nd u pretty.. Bring 4million.
Re: 13 Most Abused English Words Used By Nigerians by Nobody: 2:43pm On Jul 17, 2016
Kruzilano:
person dey price am 7million. Buh as per say u na my fellow NLander nd u pretty.. Bring 4million.
hahahhaha....na how many plot I buy sef Na #100,000 I get oo....
Re: 13 Most Abused English Words Used By Nigerians by emi14: 2:44pm On Jul 17, 2016
I hate English language scholars . Always know it all. Correction is their watchword. Yet not the richest in the society.
Re: 13 Most Abused English Words Used By Nigerians by Originalsly: 2:52pm On Jul 17, 2016
Not really misuse.... but watching too much American entertainment TV and adapting the slangs.....I was like.... like seriously....like really...all washed out American slangs used mainly by young White girls....but here we have big old Aunties using them with the same zeal as the teenagers who do. It's a shame.
Re: 13 Most Abused English Words Used By Nigerians by Kruzilano(m): 3:01pm On Jul 17, 2016
suzan404:
hahahhaha....na how many plot I buy sef Na #100,000 I get oo....
fun kini 100 tosaun?? For lekki phase 1 *heys taxi come and carry suzan404 go isheri or shasha* make she find land of 100,000* oya befor I close my open my eyes. Kia kia vamosse comot for my land.
Re: 13 Most Abused English Words Used By Nigerians by Nobody: 3:17pm On Jul 17, 2016
Kruzilano:
fun kini 100 tosaun?? For lekki phase 1 *heys taxi come and carry suzan404 go isheri or shasha* make she find land of 100,000* oya befor I close my open my eyes. Kia kia vamosse comot for my land.
cheesy
Re: 13 Most Abused English Words Used By Nigerians by sammytwain(m): 3:36pm On Jul 17, 2016
So you be this jobless to notice this?

Re: 13 Most Abused English Words Used By Nigerians by belcom10(m): 3:41pm On Jul 17, 2016
I score you high
eitsei:
IN A NUTSHELL you are saying Nigerians are ACTUALLY abusing the English language. FRANKLY speaking we don't care as long as the other person we are talking to understands us, AS IN English is not our mother tongue.
BASICALLY, we should have mastered this but LITERALLY we are abusers of the language LIKE SERIOUSLY what do you suggest we do to stop this? grin
Re: 13 Most Abused English Words Used By Nigerians by eitsei(m): 4:34pm On Jul 17, 2016
belcom10:
I score you high
lol.. Thanks
Re: 13 Most Abused English Words Used By Nigerians by dennistar(m): 4:59pm On Jul 17, 2016
You forgot "my friend"

used to command

example-MY FRIEND would you shut up.

(1) (2) (3) (4) (Reply)

Nigerian Lecturers Enter Their Students-Made Airplane : Funny But True / A Picture Of Mass Communication Dept. In IMT Enugu / Charterhouse: Why We Charge ₦42M Fees For Primary School Pupils — Lagos School

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 35
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.